Episode 22 – Thank you for granting me the honor of rescuing you from such peril.
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The loud noise of things crashing to the ground sent shivers of fear down Regina's spine. She instinctively pressed a finger to her lips and blinked at Tom, silently signaling him to remain quiet. She moved near the door of the room they were in. The door was half open. She peeked from the opening, trying to hide behind the door.

As Regina cautiously peered through the crack, her heart skipped a beat at the terrifying scene unfolding before her. Three men stood in the dimly lit hall, their identities hard to discern. Who were they?

"It's them!"

Tom shouted.

He was standing right behind her. Startled by his outburst, Regina swiftly turned around, gently placing her finger on the boy's trembling lips. She whispered, "Shh!"

Her fears proved wrong when she heard one of the intruders shout in frustration, their voices echoing through the corridor.

"Damn it! Where is it!"

Regina moved the boy to safety, shielding him behind her. She peeked again. Being careful not to touch the door, she peeped from the keyhole this time. Two out of three men were in her line of vision. She couldn't confirm the markings on them.

The continuous noise of the rampage in the hall increased her heartbeat.
One of them was right in front of her. His gigantic build and small face were an uncanny combination. He was throwing and kicking away things in anger and seemed to be searching for something precious. What could it be? What had compelled them to return? Regina couldn't have anticipated this unforeseen turn of events.

"Oh! Come on! Just let it go already." Another man standing a few steps away from him said.

"No way!" He said.

"You know this is the fourth house we searched. Just let it go. What's the matter? Little Zoddy got mommy issues? Haha!" Another man mocked him.

"Do you wish to die?" Zoddy seethed, his anger building. He approached the other man in anger and threw a punch.

In little to no time, the fight started between them. Two bulky men punching each other knew no means to hold back, their blows unrestrained and merciless. It looked like they would kill each other in an instant.

"Shut it this instant!" Deep voices came from different directions. The third man finally spoke up.

He wasn't in her vision until he moved closer to where those two men were fighting. Those two held each other's necks, gripped tightly in their palms like the paws of a predator.

With an overpowering blow, the third man forcibly separated them.

"I am sick and tired of babysitting. Get your shit together, and let's leave."

Regina felt a wave of relief wash over her. It was not the right time to confront them.

"I am not leaving." Zoddy, still determined to find his precious belonging, adamantly refused to leave.

Regina flinched.

"What are you looking for, by the way?" The third man said. He looked irritated.

"A pocket watch." He said.

"That goddam pathetic old watch. It was Zoddy's mother's. Little Zoddy is a mama's boy." Another man mocked, aiming to provoke Zoddy once again.

"Hey! Why don't we settle this, just you and me? No rules. When I rip your insides out and watch your guts spill, you'll understand how much of a mama's boy I am," Zoddy seethed with rage.

"Bring it on!" Another man said.

"I said stop it!" The third man shouted.

They started punching each other, their punches landing with brutal force.

Regina signed. When Zoddy mentioned the pocket watch, a memory surged forward. An old pocket watch that looked like a woman's accessory, Regina gasped. She remembered where she saw it. The same pocket watch she kicked to the corner of the hall a while ago when she stumbled over the carpet.

She meticulously scanned the area of her vision from the half-opened door. Unfortunately, she couldn't spot the pocket watch from that vantage point. Determined to retrieve it, Regina dared to pull the door further, carefully peeking outside and leaning her head out. Finally, her eyes found it—the pocket watch lay under the table in the far corner, beneath a beautiful mirrored frame.

It was useless. The men busy fighting and punching would never be able to find the watch. Regina withdrew back into the room, taking a seat behind the door. She furrowed her brow, contemplating her next move.

Then, a sense of alarm washed over her as she realized the room seemed empty. Where did Tom go? He was supposed to be behind the door. Her wandering eyes searched for the boy, an open window, and no sign of him in the room. It was strange. The window, which she was sure had been locked just moments ago, now stood open. Tom! He must have escaped from the window. What was he thinking?

It made her resolve firm. There was no way she would stay hidden in these circumstances. Gripping the strap of her sword tightly, she reaffirmed her resolve. Courage alone wouldn't be enough. The battle she had chosen to fight was one-sided. One woman against three men, she needed to formulate a strategy. Trusting in herself, she pressed the sword against her side, ready to face them head-on.

With resolve, she stepped outside the room and positioned herself against the wall. Just then, the third man knocked down the man they called Zoddy. He lay on the floor unconscious. One less opponent, filled with newfound confidence, Regina tightened her grip on the sword.

"Aaa!"

Regina moved, with swift precision, her sword slashing through the air like a graceful dance of retribution. She cut open one of the men, blood spraying from his neck as he collapsed to the ground, lifeless. Blood smeared her face, prompting her to wipe the spot from her lips with a defiant spat.

She didn't have time to waste. There was no room for hesitation. Regina had to confront the last remaining man. Gathering all her strength, she charged toward him. His massive appearance was intimidating. Despite his size, he moved with surprising agility. He immediately pulled a knife from his pocket, ready to counter her attack. With a single step, he covered the distance that took Regina three steps. She swung her sword forcefully, but his defensive maneuvers overpowered her.

"So you have decided to die." He taunted.

Regina stood wounded, a cut on her lips. She refused to back down. His massive hands struck Regina on her face.

Breathing heavily, she fought to regain her composure. With a determined gaze, she locked eyes with the man before her—a tall, repulsive figure marked with a scorpion symbol on his face.

"Enough with the theatrics. Let's fight," Regina declared, her voice laced with unwavering resolve.

"Hahaha, look at you, lady. You're going to die at this rate. Why don't you give up? You're quite the beauty. I'll make sure to treat you well," he sneered.

Regina couldn't bear the insult. She was determined to teach him a lesson. Taking calculated steps, she swiftly closed the distance between them, catching him off-guard and disarming him. Her sword pointed threateningly at his neck.

"Surrender," Regina commanded, her voice filled with unwavering authority.

"At this rate, you will be killed by my sword. On your knees, now!"

His defeated face drowned in embarrassment. Regina stood as a proud mountain. She stood tall like an indomitable force towering above him while he groveled beneath her. Two out of three lay dead. She needed to capture the last one alive to fulfill her promise to Tom and find the General's daughter.

She wondered about Tom. Her thoughts momentarily shifted to Tom.

She wanted to wait for Sir Philip, but circumstances were beyond her control. Tom was missing. She knew he could try to flee the moment he got the chance. Regina had to investigate the man in front of her. Before she could ask anything, a cry for help pierced the air from behind her.

"Rich Lady! Help!"

"Hahaha, look who I've found!"

Zoddy, unconscious a while ago, slipped under her fingers and captured Tom. Regina's grip on the situation slipped. A deep sense of failure washed over her.

"Tom!" Regina cried out in desperation.

She was distracted. Her momentary distraction proved to be her undoing. In the blink of an eye, the man on his knees seized the opportunity to overpower Regina.

With a malicious sneer on his face, he forcefully gripped her throat, overpowering her slender frame effortlessly. Despite her desperate attempts, her sword was no match for his superior strength.

"You should have accepted my offer and become my woman. It's too late now. You're going to die by my hands!" he sneered, a twisted satisfaction gleaming in his eyes.

He tightened his grip around her throat, causing her to cough and gasp for breath.

There seemed to be no escape. Tom kept crying and struggled to break free from the towering man holding him in his grasp tightly.

"No! Rich Lady! Someone save her."

Tom shouted with his might, praying for a miraculous intervention to save her from the brink of death.

"No one will come to rescue you. Hahaha!" The man jeered, his voice filled with malicious triumph.

Regina's heart sank as his words echoed in the air. She realized the gravity of her situation. The odds were against her.

When Regina was gasping for her final breath, a divine intervention unfolded. A familiar figure materialized, stepping forward with purpose. With swift and decisive action, he raised his weapon and delivered a potent blow, severing the head of the man who had held her captive.

The room fell into stunned silence as Regina collapsed, both in exhaustion and relief, saved from the brink of death. Her vision was blurry. Struggling to catch her breath, she lifted her gaze at her savior. It was none other than her childhood friend—the Crown Prince.

Extending his hand with care and sincerity, the crown prince helped Regina to her feet. His voice, filled with gratitude, resonated in the air as he spoke, "Thank you for granting me the honor of rescuing you from such peril."

1