Chapter 568
821 2 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Days turned into weeks and those into months. The fighting continued with the battles turning from large ones into more minor skirmishes. The western regions that the demi-human invaders previously attacked had been fully cleared out and all the stragglers apprehended. With the help of the treasure from the Long Clan, it was possible to track some of the stronger members with ease.

The demi-humans were used to being the hunters but not the hunted and lacked the skills for hiding. With time even the weaker members were apprehended. Some of them were of course killed while others were imprisoned. The cultivators were quite interested in the body-refining skills that the demi-humans were in possession of. While the Sect leader wasn’t so keen on having his people turn into monster-like beings it didn’t hurt to learn from that strength and adapt the refining skills to their own.

Thus the western front of the entire empire returned to normal and was now going from a rebuilding stage. Cities were being repopulated and the small and middle-sized sects that fled and were still alive returned. They were able to reclaim their old lands depending on how well they treated their populace. Sects that were similar to the old Dark Palm sect were removed from the chessboard.

This new land would be populated by the more righteous ones that needed to follow along with the new giant that was the United Element Sect. While the commoners and weaker cultivators were quite fond of the new leaders the rest weren’t as ecstatic. Old clans and people that ruled these lands would remain to hold a grudge and look for a chance to reclaim their past glory.

To the east on the other side, the war continued to flood the lands with blood. The Emerald Phoenix Emperor had made their appearance and taken over a central city in that area. Everyone wanted to express their indignation towards the passive Azure Emperor and Heavenly Crane Sect that these lands mostly belonged to. The Golden Dragon showed everyone that it was possible to fight back which caused a silent uproar. The people didn’t voice their complaints out of fright but everyone’s belief in the emperor was at an all-time low.

Rumors of strange golden knights with queer techniques started circulating. Due to their appearance, they were groped up with the Golden Dragon of the West. They did clash with the Emerald Phoenix Empire and even drove back some of the forward forces in the southeast. Later on, they had been officially announced to be allies of the United Element Sect. With their help, some of the bloodshed was stopped and the battles in the lower eastern regions stagnated.

Then there was the north sea which was in constant turmoil. Word of strange sea creatures going up against the new United Element Army was the hottest topic in the empire. Some people see this as a chance to gain some scraps. The monsters that were being murdered weren’t strong but for lesser sects and clans it was a treasure. Pills and tinctures made from their bodies could help foundation establishment cultivators take that one step further.

“That’s what our spies have figured out.”

“Is that all? What are we paying them for? These are just the same as rumors, nothing substantial.”

A man was shouting in a disgruntled voice at a group of old men. Everyone had gathered in a large room that looked like an old auditorium. The man was wearing a long white robe with a black crane symbol over a red circle. Around him were various men and women of advanced ages nodding their heads while looking at the thin elder in the middle.

In front, there was a red light that took the form of a certain young-looking man. Due to the red shading the white hair that he was known for looked more pink than usual. Everyone here knew who he was as his deeds were known throughout the empire.

“Grand Elder, due to the state of affairs we aren’t able to send out the best scouting units, this is as much as they could find and the Long Clan has remained silent.”

“Those damn bastards, they will sooner let us burn than help out against the upstarts…”

The old man generated a burst of energy that sent a burst of wind through the whole auditorium. Some of the elders that were here were close to passing out but voicing their discomfort was not allowed.

This was a meeting between high-ranking Heavenly Crane Sect members. They had lost a big chunk of their eastern territories that were under the Emerald Phoenix Empire ownership now. Previously the Empire was mostly divided between them which had the east and the Soaring Dragon Sect which owned the west. The Azure Emperor had a small chunk of land right in the center that was exceptionally potent.

Their connection to the Long Clan was through the central spirit vein. Both they and the Soaring Dragon Sect received access to it but the distribution wasn’t equal. The Azure Emperor received half of its concentration while the other two sects only had a quarter. After the other sect fell they were planning on a fifty-fifty split but then another problem arose.

This Emerald Phoenix Empire was making their life difficult. Their forces steamrolled through the lower eastern regions and quickly reached the middle ones that could only bunker up in their main cities behind their grand formations. They were quickly losing ground and people were forced to retreat to their main cities. Now they were constantly on the edge of disaster while fighting against the Saint Emperors.

These were the nascent soul counterparts but just slightly stronger. For the time being, they managed to protect their bottom line but the enemy forces continued to gain ground. Perhaps if the golden soldiers that appeared in the southeast regions didn’t appear they would have had to even retreat further.

“Grand Elder please ease your anger…”

“... My apologies, I have let my emotions get the better of me. Our great sect has stood through the ages and we must not allow it to fall. The enemies are strong but they are not invincible… let me hear your opinions, Elders.”

The old man gave out a sigh while looking at the holographic image of Zhang Dong. No one really knew what they should make of this man. Were the demi-humans and the merpeople he and his sect was going against on par with the Emerald Phoenix Empire? There was information about that sect defeating the demi-human Emperor but no one could really confirm his true strength.

For all they knew, Zhang Dong could have been a late-stage nascent stage cultivator. Only when Wang Long was destroyed did their interest increase. While they couldn’t measure the power of the demi-humans the demonic cultivators were another thing entirely. The man leading them was able to destroy their rival but this could also be a red herring. What if the demons had depleted their power with constant infighting and Wang Long was too injured to do anything?

“I say we wait, even if those Emerald bastards reach our gates they will never be able to break through our grand formation.”

“I concur, as long as our main sect survives and we don't lose access to the central spirit vein, we can rebuild!”

“That’s only if we can last through the siege! What about Grand Elder Zimo? He couldn’t even face one of their generals in single combat!”

“He must have been ill-prepared, if we just…”

“You just want to sit on your hands for years and let them build up an army? Are you crazy, we must counter-attack if not with our own forces then with the help of others!”

“We can’t bring outsiders into our territory! Do you really want to seek help form the Azure Emperor?”

“No the Azure Dragon won’t help us… that one will always remain neutral as history told us, the one that we need help from is his brother.”

The heated exchange between the elders stopped when the Azure Dragon and Golden Dragon were mentioned. This whole meeting was mostly due to how the western side had been able to contain the spread of war and they couldn’t. There were two options, one was to stem the tide and remain in their central city.

It was a fortress not much weaker than that of the Azure Capital. However, after the fall of their equals that were the Soaring Dragon Sect, they started getting cold feet. Their minds were filled with thoughts of failure and death. The only thing making them ignore that incident was that it happened from the inside. As long as they didn’t have someone from the inside deactivating their grand formation they felt secure.

“You all know what it will mean if we ask for help from the Golden Dragon and his forces, right?”

The grand elder raised his hand, and the moment he did all the other old people in the room quieted down. While it wasn’t treason to ask for help, getting it from someone able to contend for the Azure throne could spark a civil war. If Zhang Dong put his sights on the throne and helped them out then he could ask for their aid.

“We don’t know which of the brothers is stronger… this Zhang Dong could be an old monster or a frog in a well, if we get involved in their squabble we might sentence our sect to ruin…”

The grand elder asked while a old woman from the crowd stepped up to reply.

“Do we have a choice though? The Emperor will not help us, he would sooner retreat to his flying palace and wait just like his ancestor did. You know the forgotten records, as long as the Long Clan can run away they will…”

“Aye… if what the old records say is true, then we won’t be able to contend with this threat by ourselves… We shall give this thought and vote on this matter in a day, please consider all the outcomes my brothers and sisters as this decision will decide our faith. I will go inform the Patriarch while you all contemplate the issue.”

The old man retreated from the meeting room while some of the elders remained seated and started meditating over the problem. On one hand, they could try to remain vigilant in their beliefs, their sect was strong and they had a deep pool of secret old monsters still capable of fighting.

Their grand formation couldn’t be broken easily but the forces of the Emerald Phoenix Empire were vast and united. It was as if going against a combined big three sects with a strong Emperor leading them. Their side was unwilling to help, and their Emperor was more concerned with their own safety. Could the Empire require a switch, could switching to a Golden Emperor be the only way of survival…

28