Equal In Death ….
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Third-person view

All the adventurers took up their weapons again to deal with the Wyvern again. Along with the new ally on its head. The man on top of the monster laughed while marvelling at the adventures. The feeling of despair falls on them. The mages supported them with spells as they charged to the front lines. Zero and the group charged ahead of them. Blake raised her weapon and started making air slashes. She gave it all to defeat this undead monster.

Olive decided to build a wall of earth spikes to block some monster attacks. The man on top looked at her with disgust and cast a spell. Bone spears formed from the ground to counter her walls. The bones sprouted from the ground covered with green energy that seemed corrosive. As they collided, the earth's walls began to crumble. Olive continued to build more walls and keep attacks from breaking through.

"Zero deal with the guy on top of the Wyvern. I can't hold on much longer. Use one of the updated spells you've been working on to buy us time to deal with the Wyvern"

Olive yelled out as she struggled to hold on to the enemies' spells and attacks. Zero nodded and rushed towards the Wyvern's head. The man on top looked at his incoming opponent and cancelled his spell and made a massive bone sword. Their weapons clashed against each other making a boom that echoed on the battlefield. Their clashes continued as they struggled against each other. Zero looked at the man's green eyes, which were now visible up close. He seemed to be an older man with grey hair and scars on his face. In fact, he missed the flesh on his face and you could see the bones where it was missing.

"Why are you doing all this? You came here solely for the purpose of causing chaos and destruction to the town. All for a god that you believe will give you what you desire? Tell me is this really worth all the dead and despair?"

The man laughed and pushed Zero back. He then jumped off the Wyvern and made a bone platform. He slammed his massive sword into the platform and stood there looking down on everyone fighting the Wyvern. Zero jumped up onto the platform above the battlefield below. The Wyvern roared as it fought the adventures below. Zero just looked at the man who stood there amused after asking his question.

"Why should I care about the people below? They are just lesser than me in the end. My God shall show us what true death means. He shall show the world that we don't need to fear death. We are above death!"

Zero sighed at the man's comments about his god and death. People always want to run away from death or be above it. They would do anything to run away from death. Even killing others in the process of achieving their goals. No one realises that death is impossible. You cannot conquer something that cannot be stopped. Death is not an end but only a beginning. Zero's eyes glow pitch black. The man stopped laughing for a moment and felt a shiver down his spine looking at those eyes. Those eyes reminded him of what he ran from his whole life. Zero took two steps forward and slowly walked towards him.

As Zero walked the air around the two started to feel heavy. There was a presence watching them. While his body wanted to embrace the feeling, he felt the urge to run. For once, even the Wyvern stopped roaring below. The man cast bone spears at Zero as he walked towards him. The bones crumbled to dust before they could touch him. The man looked at the scene in panic and surprise and struggled to cast more spells to stop him from getting close. However Zero continued to walk towards him slowly not stopping at all. Zero finally reached him and looked him in the eyes.

"You know there was a time in my life where I hated death. It took something from me that was significant. But then I realised something when it was time. Death was not my enemy but my friend. You truly are too far along, your soul is beyond repair from your sins and deeds. The only thing I can give you is not death but judgment."

Zero looked at the man and smiled. The man looked at his eyes and his face. It was like he could see into him or even his past. He could feel his entire existence judged. Around them, the sky darkened and black bones sprouted out of the ground. They started to form a scale made out of bones that stood in the sky above them. People on the battlefield could not move at all. Wyvern was still as it was made. Another structure appeared. An execution stand near the scale stood there with a menacing aura.

Zero looked at the man who seemed to have fear on his face. The man collapsed onto his knees and looked up at Zero like he was a monster in human form. He tried to fight or run away from the situation that had occurred. He started to remember all his past memories and feelings that he had forgotten for his goals above death. Memories of his family and friends flashed before his eyes as he kneeled. He cried while remembering his wife who passed away and his parents who passed on. He looked up at Zero and saw a gentle smile on his face. He smiled back as he saw the scale on the side that said guilty had a rock placed on it. He was then teleported to the execution where he faced judgement.

"I was a fool this whole time… You are the one we have been waiting for…. We have been doing this wrong from the beginning… You guide us to death…. You are..."

Lighting struck the stand as he finished talking. He looked at Zero smiling at him with a kind but sad smile. The man's body crumbled into dust as he tried to speak out the last words with a smile on his face. He wanted to say thank you to Zero for a second chance. All the bones and the wyvern disappeared with white light. Zero looked at the man as he disappeared slowly with a smile on his face.

"Your judgment is that you are guilty, but death will always welcome you, regardless of how many sins you commit. In death we are all equal. As a person who bears the sins of those who need a second chance, I am just one person who bears the sins of others. I hope you have a peaceful afterlife."

1