Chapter 33: Bells of Faith (Hannah)
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The echoes of the lonesome church bell rings across every street corner. There used to be the cheerful sounds of laughter from children, the cheers of men, and the giggles of women that used to follow soon after.
But not today. Now only the bells ring. No sounds of celebration or worship will follow, for there is no one to celebrate it. Except us.
Some would say that today is a lucky day for worship. That today we can finally pray to our Gods before war does eventually get to us. So the Gods can finally show us their light and wisdom.
I put on my casual red dress. I have orders from Volas that everyone can have a day off to worship.
Haven’t seen him for a few days, not like I want to. Not after what he said about us.
The troops can handle going to him to drop off important information. I don’t need to talk to him in person when all of what he has to say can easily be read off a piece of paper.
Gosh, I’m such a fool thinking he was better. Why did I even bother trying to go after him? He never sees anyone who isn’t a Cinari to be of value, nor does he think I have any.
But it doesn’t matter now. We’re stuck here defending this city, no matter the cost. Even if it means I have to deal with a bigot in the process.
I put on my brim hat while I head outside. The sight of makeshift defensive walls and barricades welcome me as I leave the barracks. I walk past vantage points and buildings marked to be burned down if the Dogs do enter the city. The cold, strategic placements and markings leave me void of emotion.
How can I feel anything near these structures? The place is a mockery of what it was. A lively city, a city of hope. Now, it’s a fort pretending to be an empty city.
The old folks, or Tunnel Rats as they call themselves, have taken great effort to convert some homes into entrances to underground tunnels. A network of interconnected tunnels full of traps and dead ends, in case the Dogs ever plan to dig under the city.
I doubt it personally. I don’t think they will have the time to go under our city walls. But extra layers of defence wouldn’t hurt, even if it makes the city uglier and unrecognisable.
The soldiers of the city, its new inhabitants, wait around the church’s door, chatting about the war and what is going on out west. None of them sound optimistic about how the other Commanders and their troops are going.
‘How do you think our Commander will do if we are attacked?’ One soldier asks his friend.
‘I don’t know, better than most, I hope.’ He turns around, noticing me in my casual dress.
He seems surprised I wear anything besides a uniform.
‘Sergeant Black, do you think we’ll be fine under Commander Regali?’
I sigh in annoyance. I despise these sorts of questions as they give people dangerous doubts about their leadership. I cannot care if they are or are not suitable to lead. If they can do their job, they can do it.
‘Yes, we will. But only if you do as you are told.’
They thank me for my answer before jumping back into their own conversation.
I feel glad I trained them to not talk my ear off.
The church bell rings again, signalling for us to come inside for prayer. I make my way to the back of the church, away from sight and mind, to be alone at my corner. I don’t want to have my prayers disturbed, unless they have a death wish.
I rest my arm on the pew in front of me. Closing my eyes so my soul can reach the beloved Gods. So they can hear my whispers, my silent prayer.
‘Rinda. Give me the strength to lead my men to victory in battle. Give us the strength to carry ourselves to paradise.’
Prayer after prayer, I call for the Gods to give us strength for the upcoming battle.
The silence of the church feels peaceful. Only broken by occasional mumbles of prayer by some troops.
The priest clears his throat. Even he is struggling to get any word out. He must be new to preaching the word of our Gods, maybe even shy in front of an audience.
It doesn’t matter. I’ll just keep my head down and continue to pray. The preacher stutters, almost as if he is embarrassed to preach to us.
‘I’m not good at memorising the word of our Gods.’
I stop my prayer, looking up to see Volas on the podium. He… he is preaching?
‘You might have picked up that I even struggle to understand what the text says or even what it means. But… but it is the best I can do.’
The room falls silent, watching Volas in anticipation.
Don’t make yourself look like a fool! Not in the home of our Gods.
‘Before I commence our prayer, I believe it is fair I tell you the-’
The church door nudges open as some of Huson’s men walk into the church, escorting themselves to a different room for prayer. They have returned from their scouting mission to deliver reports to the man himself. None of them seemed excited for today, nor do I think they seem happy when they came back.
‘Where are you going?’ Volas questions them.
One of them looks at Volas in confusion. Almost as if he doesn’t understand why they have to pray in a different room.
‘We have to pray somewhere else. We are not allowed to pray with the Cinari.’
Volas gestures to empty seats for the Outriders. ‘You can pray with us. You are all under my command, and I wish to host a sermon for my men. I do not plan to do twice.’
While hesitant at first, they make their way to sit down with and near the other soldiers.
What is your plan, Volas? Why did you make them pray with everyone else?
I’m not opposed to it, yet I don’t think he has good intentions for why they should sit with the rest of us. The same people who he speaks so lowly of. Why would’ve let them sit with us?
Volas takes a deep breath as he looks down at his notes. ‘You all deserve to know the truth about what is going on. The western front is falling, and our allies out west are losing.’
Everyone stares back at him in silence, their faces expressing a mix of horror and shock. I don’t think they can believe we are losing to former slaves.
‘I believe they will be here in a few weeks, at our doorstep, trying to bring down the walls we have erected and patrolled. They will do anything to win this city. They will throw themselves at us, and they will try to overwhelm us. But not this time. We are different from other Commanders and their soldiers. I know that every last one of you is worth twenty Dogs. From the report of Bunker Hill, our comrades that were sent west were the last ones to stand against the horde. They didn’t run away, but held the line against unimaginable odds, to make their final stand against the Dog menace. It is here that I know we can win. And I can win this war with all of you under my command. We are not just tasked with defending this city, or the webgate, but the Empire itself. Today, we will become the wall against the tide of evil, defenders of peace, and warriors of justice. So let us not just pray for our fallen and honour their sacrifice, but also pray for strength for the task ahead. Amen.’
Volas opens his book as he begins to read the book of sermons about war and battle.
I don’t think his speech has the intended effect. The soldiers all reluctantly nod to his prayers and his interpretations of the scripture. I don’t think they care about the message of the Gods, not when the Dogs are on their way.
At the end of the service, before everyone leaves the church, I head to Volas to confront him.
‘Why did you host a service for us?’
Volas looks up at me with a surprised expression. ‘Hannah, I didn’t know you were here.’ He tries to smile, yet his lips couldn’t leave the frown on his face. ‘It’s going badly, Hannah. I needed to tell them before rumours could spread.’
‘Telling them we are losing? I doubt that will spark confidence. Even from a terrible speech.’
‘It never was going to, but if they heard what is really going on, they might as well just give up.’
I fold my arms. ‘Like what?’
Volas locks the church doors. ‘Huson is sending me reports of what the Dogs are doing, how they are fighting. They also have a so-called king, which some of the other Commanders are not taking seriously.’
‘A king? Surely that doesn’t mean anything.’
Volas groans. ‘It means everything to me. Ever since I went to that mine, I realise the sort of war we are fighting. We are fighting for slavery, and they are fighting for their freedom. This has to be divine punishment! What else could this be?’
He exhales while he catches his breath. ‘Maybe it is what we deserve after all. We have treated them with such cruelty that I don’t believe our cause is just. For all my life, I was told we gave them a better life for serving us. Yet is that true? We have caged them like animals, murdered their children so we can display their corpses to their parents. Have we ever improved their lives? Are we truly the defenders of peace and justice?’
‘You never told me what is in the mine, what you saw. Why did you keep it from me?’ I reply to Volas.
‘Be… because I’m scared that you are right. And that my life has been a lie. That the Cinari is not the just Empire we were told as kids, but equally as cruel as the rest of them.’
Something is telling me he is lying to be on my good side, yet, he has never spoken down our Empire like this before.
‘So what will you do? Knowing all of this?’
He sits in silence, brought back by the question. ‘My loyalties are to the Empire, even if what we are fighting is unjust. I will always fight for her and her people.’
‘The oath of the crown is the oath to her people.’ I smile at him.
He nods. ‘But does it mean the oath is correct? Is it the right thing to do?’
‘Maybe not. Our Empire was never the good guys every time. However, even with its faults. We have to be loyal to our nation, and there, maybe, we can improve it to become something better. Not as rulers of the world, but as an example of peace and unity.’
Volas tries to speak, but he stops himself to think upon what I have said.
‘You want to know why I believe we are all equal, Volas?’
‘Why?’
‘When I was training with the colonist after our NCO course. I was just like you. I called them names, undermined them, but no matter what I say to them. They push on. It wasn’t until I struggled in front of them that they showed me their true character.’
‘They helped you?’
‘No Volas, they’ve laughed and mocked me. Repeating the same things I have said to them. Training with them made life hard because of my attitude. But at times you have to learn the hard way. That you can’t always compete with them. But it made me reflect. If I helped them, besides berating them. Would they have treated me better? So the next day I tried that, it wasn’t easy at first, nor did they accepted my kindness. But over time we grew to respect each other. Because in the end, we are still under one flag.’
‘Why are you telling me this?’
‘Because Volas, I believe you can change for the better. To be the leader we all need.’
Volas looks away while you rubs his crooked nose with his thumb.
I think he gets the point. But, I just hope it is enough to drive the point home.
‘Come on, let’s get some drinks while we are on our break.’
Volas chuckles. ‘To drink some tasteless ale?’
‘Yes, some tasteless ale.’ I reply as we head off to the tavern.

For two weeks we continue to perfect Tundo’s defences. Every day, we spar with each other in mock battles within the city’s walls, further mastering our skills in combat and counter-siege warfare.
Funny, I remember when these soldiers were nothing but lackies. Now, now they are worthy enough to defend these walls.
Every house window is boarded up, their doors nailed shut, and the floors crooked to make them difficult to traverse.
We wrecked roads, stripped buildings and turned them into fortified positions for our split ballistas. We have made it so that even if they get into the city, they will have to fight another line of defence.
Today is no different from yesterday. I look over the courtyard as the soldiers train and spar with each other. Some are up against old man Handcock. Amusingly, and unsurprisingly, they always lose against his skills with a great sword.
I have to say, even for his age, he doesn’t seem to struggle to lift a sword that is almost as big as him.
‘I never knew women can serve in the Cinaris military.’ A handsome young human male with long blond hair walks up to me, wearing silver-plated armour.
‘Is that meant to be an insult?’
The man blushes as if he said something wrong. ‘No m’lady. You see, where I come from, women are not allowed to serve in the military. That role is only reserved for men. So, you can say I am astonished to see a woman in the army, and with a rank as a matter of fact. It’s like a men’s only world, is it not?’
‘Oh, and is that good or bad to see me in a men’s only world?’
‘My goodness, no! I think it is remarkable that a woman is in the military. What is it like being in the army?’ The man leans against the wall, his full attention locked onto me.
‘I would imagine it would be the same as what a man would experience. Except, I would be a woman.’
The man shrugs, as if he is not impressed with my answer. ‘I forgot my manners. I’m Canis, knight of Van Dimers Land. At your service, m’lady.’
He offers his hand while taking a theatrical bow.
Humouring him, I take his hand while bowing. ‘I’m Sergeant Black, but you can call me Hannah. So, what brings you here?’
He smiles. ‘Senior knight Handcock has summoned me and my fellow knights to fight with you. I believe we are going to have a fair battle up ahead.’
‘With us? Why would the knights of Van Dimers Land care about our war with the Dogs?’
‘Knightly business, m’lady. I can assure you that we are fighting with good intentions. And that it is in our interest that you don’t lose to the slaves.’
Strange that out of every nation, they are the only ones that offered to help in the war effort. Any other would wish us to fall apart. I’m surprised that they didn’t join in support of the Dogs.
‘Well, thank you for coming to our aid. It is good to see we still have allies.’
Canis chuckles. ‘Not allies. In the end, how about we fight as friends? Maybe even partners.’ He winks with a soft smile.
While he is a handsome, strapping young man, by the gods, it feels wrong to feel flattered by his flirting.
‘Thank you, we’ll see when-’
Before I can finish, Huson runs up to me, covered in dirt and muck like he hasn’t bathed in a month.
‘Where is Volas?’ He demands.
‘He is still in his office. Why? What’s wrong?’
Huson walks off to meet the Commander. ‘The Dogs are coming.’

0