Chapter 34: We Leave to Battle (Volas)
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The clock ticks and clicks as the seconds go by. Reports from out west are dire. I doubt anyone will survive the way the Dogs are fighting. Outpost Linda has fallen. Ruby Mine and the slaves in it are now free. Reports of mass graves of Cinari dead, their limbs missing, near once populated villages and common trade routes. Civilians forced into slavery, our women raped and our men routinely slaughtered for their amusement.
I dare not read what they do to our children. How could I? How can I read the reports on what they are doing to my people without my emotions clouding my judgement? I can’t let them sway my planning, not when so much is at stake.
And, this is all done by someone. Their massacres aren’t strategic, it’s all emotional. All done to hurt, to inflict pain. Maybe that pain is reflected by their experience as slaves. But, how have they succeed for this long? How can an overly emotional leader win? What sort of creature have they become?
I glare at the necklace the Shaman gave me, looking back at the conversation I had with Thorgan. Could their leader be Marak? It would have to be. A violent man would want revenge for his lover being taken away. But why now? Why didn’t he rebel any sooner? Something must’ve sparked him to go to war against us.
I don’t know what it is. Maybe it wouldn’t be important in any other circumstance, but something tells me this is different, that emotions, his rage, are clouding his judgement. How can a man stop a beast of wrath? How can I stop him?
‘A small force of Dogs are heading to the crossing, sir.’ Huson barges into my room with Hannah. Both of them stare at me, waiting for my response.
‘How long until they arrive?’
‘Tomorrow.’ Huson replies.
‘Strength?’
‘Three hundred, maybe more.’
Three hundred Dogs. We don’t have enough to face them in an upfront battle. That would be a costly battle with a slim chance of success. But this couldn’t be the main force, this has to be a scouting expedition.
‘Gather anyone who can ride a horse. We depart in three hours.’
Huson nods as he leaves the room.
‘What is your plan?’ Hannah asks.
‘They have sent a scouting expedition, but the force is large enough that we can’t take them on in a frontal assault. So we have to whittle the force down with our cavalry. Either crush them, or inflict enough damage that they retreat, buying us more time to prepare for their arrival.’
‘What if we fail?’
Outside my window, the sounds of men rushing into formation catches my attention. Eagerly waiting in line, their weapons at hand. This would be their first battle, and I will have to lead them to it.
‘If we fail, we lose the war. There is no other way I can put it.’
Hannah sighs. ‘This will be your first battle, Volas. Are you ready for what is to come? There is no turning back from this.’
‘Are you implying I can’t lead my army?’
‘No, Volas, I’m afraid that I will lose you.’
‘I… we will be fine Hannah. I promise you we will win.’
Hannah smiles softly, yet she does it to hide her worry about me. ‘Keep your promise.’
‘I will.’ I pick up my sword and armour while I head to the courtyard with Hannah by my side. As I open the door to face my men, they look at me with pride and determination.
Huson glares at me, wearing his Thesian helmet and chest plate. ‘Do you have anything to say to your men before we head off, Commander?’
‘I do,’ I say while heading over to the middle of the courtyard.
‘We are headings to the Crossing. To face the Dogs for the first time. As they butcher their way towards us, we must be ready. For we are the thin line defending civilization. I won’t lie, they will arrive at our city. But I want them to regret coming here, I want them to bleed as they march towards us. At the Crossing, we will make them bleed. We shall remind them of who are the rightful rulers of these lands, the defenders of peace! Follow me, to defend the Empire. To show these beasts why the Gods chose us!’
The men and women raise their weapons in the air as they cheer and shout for war.
Huson squares them up as he marches them to the stables. Hannah looks at me, visibly proud of my speech, but beneath her smile is a hint of fear. Perhaps she is scared to go off to battle. I don’t blame her. I think, deep down, we are all terrified of it. Scared of the battle that awaits us.
‘An excellent speech for a young Commander.’ Handcock and his knights walk up to me, all clad in heavy human armour. ‘We offer our metal to your cause. If you wish to use us.’
I would once have felt that this was an insult, but I feel that his offering is a friendly gesture. And his men will bolster my main force.
‘I am glad for you to fight alongside us.’
Handcock grins from ear to ear. ‘Adda boy.’ He shakes my hand before heading off to the stables.
‘I will stay here while you go.’ Hannah walks up to me.
‘I am surprised you won’t fight with us.’
Hannah smiles. ‘Someone has to look after this place while you’re gone. But before you go. The forest near the crossing always makes the soil around those parts soft and squishy like a sponge. And also…’
Hannah pulls me in and softly kisses my cheek.
‘Make sure you come back alive.’
I look at her, lost of words as my face flushes bright red. ‘I uh… I uh… I will.’
The words excited my mouth sounding like a child’s attempted to say thank you. I couldn’t even understand what I said, or even what I am feeling.
She smirks while she heads inside, waving me off while I am still in a trance. ‘Make sure you do.’
I shake my head, trying to clear it. Does she love me? No, can’t be. We are just friends. But why would she kiss me?
These questions rush to my head, but I think they’re best answered when I come back safely. Well, if I can come back safely.

0