Prologue: Once upon a Fairy
1.4k 14 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

𝕺𝖓𝖈𝖊 𝖚𝖕𝖔𝖓 𝖆 𝖙𝖎𝖒𝖊...

....there was an ordinary 21 year old human man, named Ian Murphy. He's currently walking in an ordinary park to the south east of Washington DC. However, the events he's about to witness and the whims of fate he's about to experience, are anything but ordinary. 

If there would be anything special about Ian, then it would have to be his carefully guarded secret that he should have been born a she. But this story is not about that. It's about the start of a new life in a new world where she became who she had always desired to be....her true self....and more.....much more.

Nobody has ever been aware of his innermost feelings, or so he thought. But again...we shall not dwell on his personal feelings, but see what kind of person Ian actually is. He's a fervent reader of fantasy stories. Actually anything of the fantasy or isekai genre that helps him escape from reality, even if only for a moment, is the perfect reading material for him. Considering his job is mostly focused on the after effects of nature's brute force, it's not that strange to seek an escape.

At the moment, while leisurely walking through a park, he's reminiscing....thinking about events from nearly two years ago. The images seen on CNN that day won't ever leave his memories. They're etched into his memories, engraved into his very being. That tragic day, he lost not only his parents, but also all family in his hometown Fairview, Oklahoma. What happened that fateful day, you might ask?

The end of the world, at least for Ian, happened that day. Two devastating tornadoes, both F5s on the Fujita scale, unleashed their wrath in Oklahoma. Fairview was directly in its path, relentlessly decimating everything. His parents were just returning home, but were caught while driving on the interstate. 

Of course tornado warnings had been issued that dreadful day, but unfortunately not for that particular region. This of course is the main reason there were so many casualties. The only reason Ian had been spared.....was that he had started his internship at FEMA only one day earlier. 

How ironic it must have felt that he just started working for the Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, when he was one of the first to learn that his hometown was completely wiped from existence.

Now let's switch to Ian's perspective.....and see what else fate has in store for him.

[ Point of view: Ian ]

Do you know that feeling when you just have to go for a walk? Well, I'm having that right now.
Today's my day off at work, so I thought I'd spend it wisely and get some much needed fresh air and a bit of exercise as well. 

The weather was so bad last week, the only thing I could do was stay inside after returning from work.
But not today. Today is still a particular cold day, even for November, but the weather is great for a walk. The sky is gray, but I've brought my trusty umbrella, so I should be fine.

I parked my aging Ford Fiesta near the park entrance, as this place is about twenty miles away from home. 
There are many people walking here, more so than usual for a Friday morning. Families with young kids, who probably don't need to attend school this week. People jogging, walking their dogs...everyone doing their own thing to relax right here, in nature.

Some people just make me smile, like a woman pushing a stroller uphill while making sure that her baby is lying comfortably. That isn't so special you may think, but her other child, a little girl, is proudly pushing her own stroller next to her mommy. I caught a glance of her baby doll lying inside and I'm just glad she isn't caring for a real baby because she's pushing the stroller over some stray rocks now and then. Her mommy doesn't seem to mind though.

The further I walk into the area where the park is starting to resemble a forest, the less people I see around me. Most will probably use the paved roads, but where I'm heading only natural trails exist. Some paths are a bit muddy, unsuited for cyclists or joggers, but great for people like me...who just want to breathe in some fresh air in total solitude.
Not that I dislike fellow humans, but I like to experience real nature once in a while. Just the breeze in the treetops and the sound of a few squirrels who seem to be annoyed by my presence.

The smell of pine trees is in the air, the only thing disturbing me right now is the sound of a commercial aircraft high up in the sky. I can see it flying across the gray sky before it flies into one of many dark clouds, not strange considering the time of year. It's probably going to rain soon, but I'm prepared for that. 

Making me look at the plane caused me to step into a puddle. Nothing too serious, but my sock is a bit moist. Nothing I can't handle as it's just half a mile more before I'll be heading back anyway.

My god, it has been two years already. At the time I interned at FEMA, far away from home. 
I couldn't even say goodbye to my parents, my grandparents...nobody.

The devastation that day was so enormous that FEMA was called into action. They allowed me to join them in one of their helicopters after I basically begged them to let me accompany them. But upon arrival, there wasn't anything left for me. Nothing. As in nothing.

The people at FEMA were kind enough to offer me a steady job and counseling. That counseling was more than welcome, even if I didn't want to hear from any of it in the beginning. "Survivor's guilt" they called it. But eventually, I realized that life went on and somehow came to terms with my loss.

One of my colleagues allowed me to live with his family until I could stand on my own feet. Even though my parents left me some savings, I was far from rich. But I managed. Life sucked, but I managed. 
And if you haven't guessed already....it didn't take long for me to decide...I really had no choice....I accepted their job offer.

I now live close to FEMA HQ in Washington D.C. I'm renting a rather small apartment, but I'm not complaining. It's my home and for obvious reasons, I have to stay close to my employer.

In emergencies, I will join FEMA rescue teams and assist with communications near the disaster zone. That's my primary task during emergencies, until I'm ready for more responsibilities. My secondary tasks are to put my muscles to good use and help relief efforts on site.

All in all, this is a very fulfilling job, you know, helping people, supporting relief efforts. It's just that sometimes you see things you don't want to see, even stuff of nightmares, but that unfortunately comes with the job. That's why they keep reminding everyone to use the offered counseling sessions, because "that's why they're there."

Luckily emergencies are not everyday occurrences, so office work and training are important parts of the job as well. Those will be the scope of my work until I'm no longer considered a trainee. But I don't mind, they give me the time I need to grow in my job. And it may not sound like much, but this is a full time job, let me tell you!

Last week I finished a two-week basic self defense training. A new job requirement, just like first aid, considering our line of work might take us near confused or agitated people. Anyway, here I am, walking in nature, but still thinking about that day. 

A woman just passed me, jogging at a rather fast pace. White sneakers...well not so white anymore due to her stepping into some mud, but her pink sports outfit looks great on her. "Oh my god, I sooo wish I could be like her and wear that."  I didn't say that too loudly of course. Not that anyone could have heard due to the happily quacking ducks flying over at that exact moment.

Oh stop it, Ian! I'm not going to think that way, not unless I want more counseling sessions. Today's my day off, and nothing is going to prevent me from reading my newest novel "Two idiots and a Slime."  It's an Isekai story about a person who will be reincarnated in another world as a Slime. Just what I need, a healthy dose of fantasy!  

Sometimes I wish I could see those fantasy popup messages like in the stories. When you look at someone or something, you just say "status" and information is immediately shown right in front of you. Just like a message on your computer monitor. Like that pigeon over there..."status!"....and it would say "Birdus stupidus" or something similar. In a little footnote it would say "special skills: drops excrement on people's cars." Ha ha ha.......god I'd love that....but I guess it would probably get boring soon anyway.

Just when I decide that it's about time to head back to my warm, comfy home, I hear a man yelling in the distance. 

"Here Chubby....here boy!" Someone's calling for his dog, I assume. At least I hope so, I can't imagine naming his son like that. I understand that people want to keep their pets safe, but he should have kept the dog on a leash...but I'm not complaining...not today.

It's just that I like to enjoy the naive assumption that I'm all alone in these woods. And now I'm reminded that humans are basically everywhere. But it doesn't matter, I'm going back anyway, it was nice while it lasted. Perhaps I'll treat myself to something yummy first. A cup of coffee and a donut or two. Yeah, definitely two. Oh great, thinking about donuts made my stomach rumble.

 

While subconsciously grinning about the weird fantasy that awaits, I suddenly notice a dog running over to me. It's a golden retriever, one of those blonde cuddly fluffy family friendly types of dogs. It's tail is happily swaying, practically begging me to pet it and that's exactly what I do. This is probably "Chubby."
"Ohhhh, aren't you a cutie? Yes, who's a good doggie?"  I know, I know, I can't help myself. He really is cute.

But what's less cute is that the dog drops something from his mouth onto the pine needle covered path right before my shoes. "Hey Chubby! Here boy!" I hear the same person shout again, and the dog just sprints away, leaving me alone with whatever it spat out. Well, he really was a bit chubby, so the name is fitting at least.

I bend down and put one knee on a dry part of the path so I can get a closer look at this "thing." Well, it just looks like some kind of doll.

Just your average day cheap looking doll, probably resembling a fairy. I would never buy something like this for my kids. But then again, I don't have any, so I won't ever have to worry about those things. 

This doll is dirty, its green dress is covered in mud and bits and pieces of grass. Its wings are transparent, but give a pearlescent shimmer when held in the sun. And that's exactly what I did. I picked it up with a tissue I still had in my pocket and studied it carefully. Its legs are pretty realistic, nothing like the cheap plastic toys of these days. I never thought I would say this, but I'm lucky to have had better toys than this thing when I was a kid. Well...I might have loved to have a fairy doll back then....but now that I can finally buy them myself, I don't really need them anymore.

I stuff it into my jacket's other pocket and decide to dispose of it a bit further away, there's a bin there somewhere if I'm not mistaken.

I don't give it another thought but instead try to remember what I was thinking about. Ah, right, the novel that awaits. But again I'm distracted and my attention returns to reality. 

The sound of children chatting behind nearby bushes can be heard. Don't tell me they want to scare me, because I've already noticed them. "Kids these days," I shake my head.

I stealthily walk over to the bushes, crouch and then try to hear what they are saying. Let's play along and pretend to be startled when they notice me. 

"What should we do? We can't go back without her!" A girl's voice, definitely a girl.

"Don't worry, Levia, we'll find her." A boy said.

"Sheesh, don't patronize me, Berry. But what if we don't? They'll execute us."

Eh....kids talking about executions? That's not normal...is it? But then again it has been quite a while since I was a kid. Perhaps I should just intervene here, they're just kids and they shouldn't be talking like this...ever.

"Levia, for the love of....will you just calm down? We still have half a day left, the sun is not even setting. Just....just wait. The goddess will protect her."

I slowly move a few branches to the side, hoping to see what's going on....and the impossible just happened.

Two of these similar doll-like things are sitting on a tree stump, arguing with each other. One has their hands on their hips, probably Levia.....yep definitely a girl-thing...or doll...whatever...wearing a similar green dress.  On the right, another one is sitting, letting its feet dangle in the air and I notice he's wearing brown clothes and pants. That's presumably Berry. What are these things?

Both of them suddenly look directly at me.....I'm caught! They fly up into the air, probably startled by me. Well, this startled me as well, making me fall on my behind. I quickly recover and stand up....ready to run if the need arises. Are they....real? Or just advanced toys? I just have to know!

"Hey! A human!"

"Shhhh! Don't shout, Levia. You know the drill."

"Yeah....Goblins hear everything...." Levia sounds frustrated.

They turn away from me and want to fly away, but I shout "wait! I have something for you!"

That made them stop and return, but at a safe distance from me.

"Human, we aren't supposed to talk to you. What is it that you have? Be quick about it," Berry said, sounding quite impatient.

I quickly take the doll from my pocket and carefully open my hand, showing them what I meant.

"He found her!!!!" Berry shouts, immediately followed by Levia's "Ahhh!!!! Thank goddess!"

They quickly move closer, but still remain cautious, so I say "please, whatever you are.....I mean no harm. A dog found her. But...what are you even?"

Berry moves closer and touches the doll thing in my hand "she's alive, Levia. Just out of mana. She'll be fine. And you, human, we are fairies, but that's all we can tell you. Would you....would you please put her down on the forest floor? We'll take her home so she can recover."  For some reason these fairies call this park a forest, but whatever makes them happy, right?

I gently place her motionless body down as asked and take a few steps back to show that I really don't mean them any harm. My heart is racing...the adrenaline pumping, making me alert and ready to run away, should these two be less friendly than they appear.

"Thank you, human. Oh, now that I think about it....how are you even able to see us? Ohhh...that's right....you must have touched her wings, haven't you? Don't worry...the fairy dust will wear off within an hour or so and you won't be bothered with us ever again. I promise."

"Well, I'm not bothered in the slightest, just glad to be of help."

"Very kind of you. We are very grateful, but we must ask you to leave now.......NO! Goddess NO!  They're here!"
Berry suddenly points behind me.  

I look around but don't see anything. Levia however screams "ahhh!!!! Goblins!"  
But still, I can't see anything out of the ordinary. Then...a few seconds later....a yellow being appears from thin air. It just ran towards me, appearing like it emerged from some kind of fog. My first impression is that it's similar to Pikachu...but with teeth....lots of teeth. This is no Pokemon........this thing is bad news. It's just a bit bigger than these fairies and it's snarling at them. 

Why didn't I see it when they did? Does the "fairy dust" have a range? Nobody knows. Well, they must know I guess.

Then, suddenly the creature starts hissing and points at the fairies. "Fairies! Vermin of the forest. Finally I have found you. Prepare to DIE!"

The creature seems completely focused on the fairies and ignores me fully. It points its tiny hand at Berry and a dart-like thing launches from its finger, but it goes towards the still unconscious fairy.....barely missing it...or her....or...whatever. 

For whatever reason my brain somehow decided that I should protect these fairies, considering that goblin-thing was definitely aggressive. Without even thinking it through, I already kicked it in its behind, launching it towards the bushes several feet away.

"Thank you human!" Berry says. I see him and Levia carrying the unconscious fairy, while flying towards a tree. 

Levia then says "Berry! We can't leave that human! Please! He helped us!"

"We don't have a choice, Levia! You know this place will be full of goblins in another minute, now GO!"

Levia shakes her head, obviously not agreeing with Berry, but also realizing that he's right. 
"Goddess....PLEASE...help that human!"  And then.....both of them just disappear into the tree as if they weren't even here in the first place.

The Goblin seems to have come to its senses again and realized that this human is dangerous. It says "Ouch! What the heck!!!?? A human? How can you even see me? It matters not...you're dead."  It yelled, quickly scanning around him, then focusing on me. I can see its eyes locked onto mine, feel its anger....this is bad...so bad.

Then I hear sounds all around me...and out of thin air dozens upon dozens of those things are surrounding me....crap....I should have ran away when I could. Now what? But I couldn't think anymore the moment I felt a sting in my neck.
My hand instinctively reaches to that spot, but it suddenly becomes dark. I feel myself fall down but don't hear anything anymore.....it's quiet. Very quiet. At this point....my thoughts.....just end.

[ Point of view: Narrator ] 

While the last bit of life is leaving Ian's body, something else is happening, but he's completely unaware of this.

FLASH

A woman dressed in a beautiful blue summer dress suddenly appears out of thin air, looking with disgust at the Goblins. She's not tiny like the fairies, but almost as tall as Ian. 

The creatures seem to know who she is and immediately make a run for it. A grin appears on her face, only to be replaced by an expression of sadness while looking at Ian's dying body. So far she hasn't spoken a single word, but sits down on her knees next to Ian. She moves a stray strand of her golden hair between her furry fox-like ears on top of her head. The ears are continuously moving and twitching, carefully scanning her surroundings for sounds. Her golden, fluffy tail is gently swaying to the left and right, showing she's concentrating.

A soft yellowish aura appears around her body and she places her glowing right hand on Ian's back until his body starts to glow as well. A bright glowing orb of pure energy leaves his body and lands in her open left hand. 

She stands up, wipes the sand from her knees and then touches the tree with her right hand. She's sealing a portal hidden in the tree, keeping it shut from the Goblins. Then she disappears the same way she arrived....with a FLASH.

 

 

43