Chapter 1: A Fairy Choice
1k 16 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[ Point of view:  Ian ]

 

Ugh....when I wake up I can't move anything but my eyes, so I must still be paralyzed from that pinprick I felt in my neck. It seems that I'm lying down and my head seems to be resting on something soft. I finally manage to turn my head and see that I'm in a beautiful meadow, definitely no longer in the park from earlier.

Something else that's different, is the weather as for some reason it's now summer and the sun is high in the sky, radiating a comfortable warmth throughout the area. A bird is singing nearby and I can also hear crickets chirping in the grass around me. A tall and wide tree proudly stands next to me, shielding me from direct sunlight. White fluffy clouds are slowly moving by in the blue sky and the smell of freshly cut grass fuels the holiday feeling I'm experiencing even further.

I wonder where on Earth this beautiful place is....where am I? I want to speak, but can't for some reason.
Then I hear a soft, kind female voice from above. "Shh....easy now dear."

I look up and only now notice a woman smiling with the gentlest caring smile I have ever seen. There's something about her that makes me instantly feel that I can trust her. Is she an angel?

"No dear, I'm not an angel. And this place is nowhere on Earth. You see...this is my little sanctuary, my personal space. Do you like it?" She gently moves her fingers through my hair, making me relax even more.
"You are safe here, I promise. You can move now, if you so desire."

I slowly sit up straight, no longer lying on her lap. Then I stand up while she continues to sit calmly, smiling without pause and following my every move. She has two furry fox-like ears and a fox's tail as well. Her smile is genuine and warm. Why am I not afraid of her? She's not even human...so why?
"Eh....yes, I like this place very much. So...do you mind...telling me what's going on? I seem to have missed something?"

The lady giggles softly and then explains "I am a goddess. Do you remember those Goblins?"

"Ah, those yellow creatures? Yeah?"

"Well....there's no easy way for me to tell you...but they shot you with their darts. I'm afraid your Earthly body has died." 

"Huh? But...but I feel fine?"    I mean...I feel amazing?

Another soft giggle. "Dear....you are in the Spirit Realm, more precisely my place. You see, no human should have ever seen fairies or goblins, but somehow you got mixed up in their fight. Goblins and fairies are locked in an eternal battle. Goblins do harm and are mischievous, trying to bring harm and sorrow to people. Fairies are the exact opposite. And as an apology for losing your body in their fight, I took your soul with me."

I scratch my head, which still feels real to me by the way. "Thank you...I guess? But what does that even mean?"

"Mmmmm......how should I say it without worrying you too much? Well...it simply means you can choose to return to Earth and be reborn again, or you may choose to continue living in my world."

"Soooo.....there's no way for me to go back to how I was before?"

Her expression shows genuine pity. "I'm truly sorry, Ian, you see....I'm bound by rules. I can't just heal your human body, that would be trespassing into another deity's domain. And only moments ago, your former body was found by other humans and the police have already started an investigation. What I'm trying to say is that healing you at this point would be....impossible. And even if healing was allowed, it was no option either...it would have attracted all the nearby goblins, causing more human deaths. Well, I guess I shouldn't explain all of these things at once."

"Eh....goddess.......you know my name?"

She laughs very politely, more like a giggle. "Yes dear, I know all about you. But don't worry, I mean well."

"Eh, okay...  But if I may ask..are those two Fairies safe? Berry and eh.....L....Levia? Oh! And what about the Goblins?"

"Aww....you are so kind. No need for you to worry about them. I took care of the goblins myself, they are scattered through the forest again. They usually never harm a human, only indirectly. And those three fairies..."

"Oh right, there was another one."

"Yes, all three of them are going to be fine. They are back on Tallara. One needs a bit of healing, but all will be fine. Don't think about it."

"Tallara?"

"Yes, that's the name of their world, my world, just like your Earth....but different."

"Oh, I see."  I lean back against the tree and she stands up, walking towards me.

She straightens her dress and I see her tail swaying gently behind her back.
"You should know that Levia is now crying and praying, afraid of what will become of you."

"Soooo....I'm not fine? I'm dead. Or not? Oh my god, what happens to me now?" I look up into the sky, expecting something, but nothing happens.

"Please be calm, dear." She puts her right hand on my shoulder for a moment. It really helps me relax for some reason.

I take a deep breath, not thinking about why I even need to breathe if I'm supposed to be dead.
"May...may I ask something?"

"Of course, dear."

"Please forgive me if this sounds disrespectful, it's not my intention. But if you are a goddess of the fairies....why do you look like a Kitsune? You know, a fox-like human?"

"Ohh?" She looks at her tail for a moment, following my gaze, then smiles. "Ah, I can see why you thought that. No, this is just my....eh....preferred form, because I'm not the goddess of the Fairies.......no, let's leave it at that. It would be too much for you to understand at the moment." Shen then suddenly changes shape and looks like those fairies from earlier, but....more beautiful...if that makes any sense at all.

"There, is this better?" She asked. While she's a bit shorter now, she still mostly looks like before...same ears and tail, but she now also has wings...and her dress seems to be of a simpler design.

"Eh.....yeah.....well...I meant no disrespect. You are very pretty like this. Oh god, I mean, not that you weren't beautiful before, I mean....eh...     But this is nice too. Don't feel the need to change, just for me."

"Awww, you really are a kind soul, aren't you?" She gives me that wonderful smile again.

This made me blush for a moment, earning me another giggle. 
Then I ask, trying to change topics "what will become of me? Is this really game over for me?"

"Ha ha ha, no no no. I like that expression. A new game, as you said, is only about to begin."

"Eh....I think I've lost you."

She gestures to me to follow her along a shadowy path between more trees...trees that I could have sworn weren't there a minute ago. 

When we reach the path and after having had a moment to take in the sights, she continues.
"Well...my dear...I know for a fact that you have read many isekai novels, so this should sound pretty reasonable to you. Let me offer you a choice. As I already said....you can start a new life on Earth, or here. If you decide to stay here, I will have to change your soul to match this world."

"And...does that hurt?"

"Not going to lie. It will hurt just for a second, I promise. You're with a goddess, the last thing I want to do is hurt you. Now....if you should choose to stay here..........I will let you keep your memories and start as an adult....this time around. Choose any race you desire. How is that for an offer?"

"Wow....that's pretty much isekai heaven....but I'm not sure. I mean, I don't even know how this world is compared to Earth."

"Of course, I can understand that. Just...take your time, you don't have to decide right now. You see, at the moment time doesn't move up here for you, at least not in the way you are used to. You literally have all the time you want. Just....take your time....and relax. You can study the world down there from up here. Decide when you're ready."

"Yes please, I'd like that."

"Alright, then let's give you something to help you make that decision." She smiles and snaps her fingers, instantly transporting us to a room similar to a waiting room. A waiting room with lots and lots of books, all neatly arranged in wooden bookcases and on shelves all around me. The wood is well-polished, making this area look more like an old fashioned library with quite the number of chairs that appear to be very comfortable. 

There's a hallway to my left and I think I can see an office or two in the distance. So....a library in an office building?

"Okay, Ian, just make yourself comfortable while you think about your future. Oh, and everything you see and hear around you is just something your soul interprets for you. Basically it is a simplified version of reality so your brain can understand what's going on. Please don't take offense."  

"Eh....non taken?"   I don't even have a brain right now, right?

"See, you're a very kind person. Feel free to read whatever you want. And on that table are magazines about this world and its inhabitants. I thought that might be more convenient than finding the right book yourself. Take your time.....but....choose wisely." She winks and then FLASH.....leaves me all alone in this weird library a.k.a. waiting room.

I decided to walk around first and see what else is around this library. So far endless rows and rows of books, so I return back to my starting point. Near the hallway I see a coffee machine and a vending machine. Great, I'm definitely going to try those!

The coffee machine is just like any other office coffee machine, but it makes you wonder...is my mind really that simple? If these are images from my own mind, why not think of a deluxe-version? Instead I have an antiquated coffee machine, but hey, I'm not complaining. 

I push the buttons for coffee and creamer and am soon rewarded with a plastic cup containing humanity's best invention: coffee. Let's not worry about recycling now, as I'm far more worried about my own recycling.

I walk back to where the magazines are and take a seat. This particular chair is a comfy recliner, definitely suited for reading. The table is right next to it, so I don't even have to reach for the magazines....or the coffee.

And just when I take a sip......"blech!" Whatever this stuff is....it's undrinkable, just my luck.....I'll try something else later. 

I take the first magazine from the table and see that it's about Kitsune. The goddess from before looks exactly like them. So they're basically humans, but with fox ears and a fluffy tail. The cover's image is animated, just like a video. It shows a Kitsune family smiling at the person taking the picture, but then one of them is motioning to me to turn the page. Well, that's unusual.....but nice. When I wave at them...nothing happens, it's just a recording.

After reading for about an hour or so, I really feel bored. I think I have already made my choice anyway. Kitsune, Fairies, Goblins, Dragonkin.......very informative...but I must admit that I have skipped most of the magazine. For someone who has all of eternity to read this...I'm really going to take my sweet time reading it. Well....not forever, but just....taking my time.

I stand up and walk towards a window and see that I'm high up in the sky, like sitting on clouds. Down there, when there isn't a cloud in the way, I can see the lands of Tallara. Lots of green areas but also an ocean. Honestly, it looks inviting. Clean, beautiful and inviting.

A man wearing a janitorial uniform walks into the library, picks up my cup of disgusting coffee and leaves me alone again. He smiled, but didn't seem to be interested in chatting.

Still feeling bored, I walk towards the hallway and see another Kitsune walking by, this time a man. He only nods, apparently no time to talk either.

<Sigh> "I'd love to chat with someone. Even if just for a moment." But nobody magically appears to fulfill my wish.  Alright, I'll read the magazine one more time and call for the goddess. I'm sure she will hear me....somehow. For now she's just probably giving me all the time I need, not wanting to disturb me. It was my first time meeting a real goddess, but I must admit...she's really kind.

I take the magazine that reads "The wonderful world of Fairies. A summary of The Fairy Experience." It almost sounds like a travel brochure. The cover shows a moving picture of a fairy flying in the forest, touching leaves which are suddenly covered in frost. In the small print below it says "a fairy preparing plants and trees for winter." Mmm.....yeah....pretty much what I expected.

I flip through the pages again, and decide to read one section carefully. I'll save the rest for later, who knows how long I'll be up here, so I'm definitely going to read this properly.

"Fairies are magical creatures. Instead of being born biologically, they come into existence when their parents temporarily merge souls. At that precise moment, the deity assigned to the fairies will form a soul and honor the parent's union with a child. Compared to other developed races on Tallara, Fairies are by far the smallest beings. Their abundant magical abilities compensate for their lack of size.
They are bipedal creatures with transparent wings and can be divided into two groups: City Faires and Wild Fairies. 

City Fairies are used to a relatively modern way of life and live in cities maintained by other beings like the Lizardkin or Kitsune. These city Fairies usually live in small homes in the top of trees but these days they can also be found in more conventional huts or buildings. They peacefully coexist with those other beings by providing them with a stable climate by e.g. regulating temperatures or by maintaining nearby forests. In return, the fairies enjoy the protection that a city of larger beings naturally provides.

Wild Fairies, as the name implies, are physically the same as City Fairies, but choose to remain in small clans. These Clans are self-sufficient, not relying on trade with cities or even other Clans. While they occasionally do trade, it is not what they prefer. They simply prefer to live from whatever their natural resources provide. They usually have a culture where respect for land and nature is honored by singing around campfires or sharing stories. Their clan-members mean everything to them.

Both City Fairies and Wild Fairies have magical abilities, however those are aligned with what they need most: cooperation with other species or focused on survival respectively.

Another thing they have in common is their natural ability to extract mana from mana veins. As the only species on Tellara capable of traveling between worlds through small fairy-sized portals, they bring mana resources back home. The worlds that have excessive amounts of mana are not negatively impacted by this, quite the opposite. A state of equilibrium is created by balancing the flows between worlds.

The retrieved mana is then infused (by Fairies of the Priest/Priestess class) into regional world trees where the mana is absorbed and spread near those trees, thus enabling magic for all magic-capable species. Without this abundance of mana, Fairies would become incapable of living, even when accounting for the already available amounts that Tallara produces naturally.

Collecting mana is a calling, as not every Fairy will feel this need to travel between worlds. This is intended in the Grand Design: only a few Fairies are needed in each city to maintain the local flow of mana. City fairies are the most likely to start collecting mana as this greatly boosts opportunities for trade. Some raw mana is used by businesses to create potions, offering the fairies countless business opportunities."

 

 

Well...this sounds interesting and all, but now I'm having doubts again. Perhaps I should just go for the Kitsune instead? I really do like their fluffy tails and ears after all. Choices...choices....  But luckily I have all the time I could ever want.

After drinking the last of the better tasting cappuccino the coffee machine also produced, I hear voices coming from just around the corner in the hallway. I stealthily leave the library area and walk towards where I heard people talking, but the voices suddenly stop. 

Or am I supposed to just sit back there all the time? Nah, can't imagine anyone complaining about just walking about the place. She told me herself that I could take all the time I wanted, so a little stroll must be fine.

I carefully look around the corner and see the entrance to another library. My oh my, how utterly boring this place is. How many libraries do they even have here? Or is it the same one? But then I hear the voices again.....originating from an office across the hallway, now just within my hearing range.

 

"..time those bloody fairies escaped again. The Goblins were so close to capturing the portal this time, but alas, that wretched goddess managed to close it again." It was a male voice, it sounded quite rude. But the voice also had a certain fear in it, I can't describe it otherwise.

I move a bit closer to the office, but stay out of visual range...not wanting to get anyone's attention. Or worse...being accused of eavesdropping in heaven or whatever this place is supposed to be. Instead, I'm trying to look like an office worker on a break. Just enjoying my heavenly cup of cappuccino.

The office door is slightly ajar, making me able to listen in on their conversation. A small card to the left of the door reads "Guardian of all Fairies, Tallara world."

The conversation continues, this time another, but very deep male voice replies. "Were you able to figure out how that human could see those Goblins? Humans are explicitly excluded from the divine treaty, so it doesn't make any sense." The voice sounded like someone manipulated it using a computer, almost sounding metallic, robotic. But even then...definitely a male voice.

"No, but the Goblins are investigating the matter. After killing that human they will follow the local investigators and try to figure out what's different about this human. But we may never know......what?"

Me......they're talking about me! I put my right hand on my mouth, trying not to make a single noise....better get away while I still can.

"Keep it down...walls have ears, you never know who's listening in."

Suffice to say that the voices became inaudible at that moment and that was my cue to get the heck out of there, back to my seat. I could hear the office door close behind me. I don't think they saw me.

 

 

After browsing the fairy magazine again, I confirmed my choice. If I get to choose a race, then I'm gonna be a Fairy! They seem nice enough, and more importantly, they can do magic! Lots and lots of it! Besides there are many kinds of Fairies, so they should be a fun bunch of people.

 

Another half an hour passed by in a place where time apparently doesn't even exist. Just look at this place. Like gods and goddesses live in an office building! If this is all that my soul can think of, my imagination is waaay too limited. I've read so many novels, I'm sure I'm more capable than that!

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard someone walking down the corridor, this way. The clickety clack sound of someone walking on heels was very noticeable, echoing all through the place. Only moments later, the goddess from before walked over to me with her usual smile. 

"Hey, Ian. Seems like you are interested in my world after all?"

"Eh, yes....I think I really want to stay here, becoming a Fairy, keeping my full memories and all.....but....can we talk in private for a moment?" I whispered that last part.

She replies with a surprised expression, "well...sure, follow me."

41