Chapter 21: A Complicated Fairy
235 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Considering the fact that I went to bed pretty early, it was no surprise that I woke up well before dawn. I sneaked into the bathroom and took my sweet time to properly relax in the tub. Mmmm.....just soaking in the warmth...

Mother won't be pleased, but I'm done being bathed by Celeste. Sheesh, I'm old enough, even in this world! So somehow I have to convince her to just let me bathe in peace.

Using the bath's magical water heater wasn't all that difficult because I've seen Celeste use it many times already. White, fluffy towels are also available in abundance......but I have no need for those. I used my Clan's skill to dry myself off the Wild way....with magic, which worked pretty well. The only downside when using it on myself was my instinct. Yep, my instinct to shake myself dry just like a dog does.....and creating a mess while at it. I think I'll go for the towels next time. 

My tail still needs to be brushed, apparently even when using the skill. Celeste always uses a special brush for that and I've just confiscated it....it won't leave my room anymore...  Fluff.....wonderful fluffy tail...just a few more minutes until maximum fluffiness!

 

After dressing in a fresh Spiritwalker outfit, I tried to leave the bathroom in a semi-decent state....but I guess I'm nowhere as good as Celeste in these matters....not even remotely. 

I love it....it feels like I'm back in control of my own life. Nobody is telling me what I should or shouldn't do....at least for the moment.

When I return to my bedroom, I hear the kitchen staff arrive through the side service entrance. My balcony doors are open wide and I love to stealthily watch the staff start their new day. So far nobody has even noticed that I'm awake.

I sit down at my desk and study the contents of my beauty case. Mmm....this looks like a lipstick and it smells fruity, more like cherry or strawberry. It has a light pink color, and another similar one is colored bright red, so I think I'm safe to assume that they are indeed lipsticks.

After carefully applying the lipstick to my lips, and using the bathroom to undo some beginner mistakes, I finally feel presentable. I must have used one fifth of the lipstick by now.....not a very good way to begin, but it's only natural to make mistakes, right? And I do have to say....the pink color looks amazing on me!

I won't apply any other make up today, simply because I can't. Celeste needs to show me how those work first, or I'll embarrass not only myself but mother as well.... and that's one thing I'm eager to avoid!

After applying the lipstick I took care of my teeth. One of the advantages of this world is their use of toothpaste replacing chewing gum. Just chew on it for a few minutes, and all is nice and clean. It tastes bitter, like herbs, so the taste could definitely be improved, but all in all it still beats brushing your teeth with a toothbrush. And even though my mouth doesn't taste or smell like mint, it's still pretty much odorless.

Melody's plushie is sitting on my night stand, not receiving any cuddles from me, so I think I'll return it to her soon. I was only teasing her before, and considering the way she looked at me....she might actually miss it. It tells a lot about her character, being able to part with something you actually really like.

 

As it's still pretty early, I walk through the gardens and see someone feed the Buggos. A pity, I'd love visiting them now, but better leave them be. 

After enjoying the swing for ten minutes out of pure boredom, I decided to locate Celeste. Surely she must be on duty by now?

But while walking towards the side entrance, I hear people talking rather loudly, and that might just be the entertainment I've been searching for all morning.

Ooohhh...that should be interesting! Some sort of delivery vehicle is parked near the main entrance and staff are hurrying around with items in their arms. Perhaps I should help them?

"Good morning, can I help?" I ask a Fairy who seems to be in his seventies. Gray hair, but a smile that could sell you the moon, or at least a part of it. He appears to be the delivery person.

"Good morning to you too, young lady. By all means, all of this has to be unloaded." He spreads his arms wide, showing me that everything has to be unloaded. 

"Okay, sure, I can do that. Eh...where do you want this stuff?" I asked one of the female staff who appears to be around my age. She seems to recognize me, but doesn't want to confront me. I know......a Princess shouldn't even interfere with their work, but hey....I'm not your average Princess, now am I?

"Eh....yes.....all of this is for the kitchen." She doesn't even look me in the eyes.

"Alright, please take a few steps back, I'll just teleport it right inside."

"You.....really?" Now she looks at me, but in amazement, only then realizing it's not a proper way to look at a Princess, but I don't mind.

I smile at her and say "sure, just return to your duties or take a break, whatever. I'll take care of this. Also tell the others. When I'm done, can he just leave or do we need to sign something?"

"No, young one, the goods have already been paid for. Just unload the stuff and I'll be on my merry way again. I appreciate the help, by the way. My bones are too old, or I would have helped you myself."

"I know, don't worry about it, sir."  I took a package and teleported right into the kitchen area.

"Waaaaaaaa!" A few ladies just shouted so loudly they actually startled me. "Oh....sorry Princess."

"Don't worry about it. I'll be teleporting in and out a few times, so please make some room for me. Nobody needs to carry this stuff when I can just teleport that stuff here, right?"

"Ehh.....yes?" One of them replied with a rather confused expression.

Not the answer I had hoped for, but I teleported about ten times to the kitchen and back to get all the goods unloaded into the kitchen. Then I returned to a now empty cart. 

"By the gods, you weren't kidding, thank you for helping things move a bit faster."

"No problem, sir. A fair day to you." I gave him a quick nod and a complimentary smile.

"Ohh....how polite. And a fair day to you too, young lady."  He smiled and instructed his Buggo to start moving, leaving me alone with one light package that I had overlooked, in my arms. I actually thought about feeding the Buggo, but I guess it would only delay his job, so I just let them be. 

Yes, I guess I was perhaps a bit too polite, probably picked that up from my recent trip to the past.

 

On my way back to the kitchen, this time enjoying walking there, I finally see Celeste.

"Hey, good morning, Celeste!" 

"Good morning.....Princess? By the gods, why are you carrying that? Give me that!"

"Nope, almost done." I shake my head to emphasize that I'm going to finish my job all the way.

I hear her sigh behind me, but I just ignore it. 

The kitchen staff seem pleased to have all their supplies brought in a bit earlier than planned, so this completes my good deed for today!

"Thank you, Princess!" They all said at the same time as if they had practiced that all morning.

"Ha ha ha, anytime. Oh, and if you need to move something heavy, you know where to find me. Bye!"

I wave them goodbye and they say "bye!" at the same time again. 

Right after leaving the kitchen, I had to apologize to Celeste. She insisted that I shouldn't interfere with their work, not because she didn't appreciate my help....no....it seems she's actually more worried about mother, so that makes two of us. 

 

Breakfast was interesting this time as mother heard from Celeste, the traitor, that I had bathed myself. She reminded me that being a Princess means that you just have to follow certain rules. So....I had to promise not to repeat this again.

"No dear, Celeste is innocent. She didn't say a word....even though she should have." Mother glances over at Celeste in the corner, making sure she had heard her. Celeste is desperately trying to look away, but can't avoid looking at mother.

"Mother, please. Why is everyone so....I don't know? So tight around here? My god, it was just a bath....I didn't kill anyone? And helping the kitchen staff, for crying out loud, isn't that just being kind to one another?" I shrugged.

 

Oh boy, now she seems pissed. "No. First, young lady, you shall mind your language, I will not tolerate that tone of voice. Secondly, you WILL respect how I run this Palace. That includes how you bathe and when you bathe. And the staff, as you call them, are well-paid to do their jobs. YOU are the Princess. Make sure to remember that next time, when you start helping them but are actually messing up their schedules."

"Mother...." Melody is trying to help me.

"Dear...." Father too tries to calm her down, but quickly withdraws when noticing her death glare.

I push my dining room chair back and stand up, walking over to my mother. I see her eyes widen, does she really think I'm about to injure her? A creepy smile made it to my lips, but only for a second.

I stop right next to her and say with a serious expression "Mother?"

"Y.....yes Sasami?" Her tone of voice is suddenly careful.

"I apologize once more for failing to meet your standards. It seems I'm just a Wild Fairy after all, one who is not fit to be a Princess. <sigh> It may look like I'm deliberately trying to annoy you, but I'm not. Please forgive me, I just wanted to help them." I really feel down, I feel tears starting to build up in my eyes, but am able to suppress my emotions.

Mother blinks, then composes herself and stands up as well. And just when I thought she would start an argument, she embraced me.....catching me completely off guard.

"M....mother?"

"Yes, Sasami. That I am. And I know how you feel, I'm sorry, but it's my duty to raise my daughters properly. If you really insist on bathing alone, not wishing for a personal maid, then I will have to ask Celeste to leave the Palace." Mother looked very serious.

I glanced at Celeste and saw the worry in her eyes, but still she didn't say a single word.

"That's a really mean thing to say. One moment you are as kind as a goddess, the very next moment...you are so cold. Why?"

"I will not...."  but she was interrupted by father.

"Dear, let me handle this. Sasami, you are a Princess, right?"

"Yes, father. At least I think I still am?"

I saw her confused expression, but father continued. "You still are. You might see your mother as strict, but there are certain rules everyone must follow. Those rules help us maintain a working government and also...maintain a working Royal Family. I know you have lots of experience from Earth, but things work differently here. This is not Earth, but Tallara, can you understand that?"

"Yes father...so far I understand."

"Good. As a Princess, and Melody this also applies to you, you are expected to behave in a certain way. Society expects that, nobility expects that and even our staff expect that. You just can't do what you desire, even though your motives are pure and honest. It's a burden, yes, but that is life."

"Oh...." I look at my shoes. "I see, father. It seems I made a big mistake....again."

"Yes...yo.." mother tried to answer, but father again interrupted her.

"Yes, but you're still young. I know your heart is Wild, and that's why we let you visit your Clan. Go there, be who you truly are....let the real Sasami out. But when you're here.....be our daughter. That doesn't mean you can't have fun here, by the gods, don't we all want to relax now and then? It's just that you can't always have your way of fun. Let's find something we can do together as a family, alright? My daughters and my wife, all of you are important to me. But as you tried to explain, dear, we all have rules to follow. Now, Sasami, the question is whether you can follow these rules. Rules which we don't always like ourselves, but we just have to follow. Even us Royals are expected to behave in a certain way....just like anyone in our society. Sasami, will you please listen to your mother and work hard to follow our way of life?"

Tears are now flowing freely, but I still managed to speak. "F....father, yes. I'm so sorry. I guess I really didn't understand. I thought mother was just.....mean....sometimes. I think I understand now. God, I feel so stupid."

Mother didn't say a word but embraced me again, also teary eyed, showing me she actually really wanted to help me. Then she said "and I'm sorry for not properly explaining our ways to you, but your father has a way with words that I do not possess. I know you think I'm mean......but.....I just want to help."

I didn't reply, but just cried for a few minutes. When I finally released the embrace, I asked her "please, don't take Celeste away from me. She can perform miracles."

Mother laughed which made me smile too, she said "of course not, honey. It was just in the heat of the moment, when I was at a loss for words. It seems you're not the only one who needs to learn certain things."

I see relief on Celeste's face, not that she's allowed to stay here, but that I finally start understanding how I'm supposed to act.

"Father, mother, Melody....may I please be excused? I wish...no, I need to visit my Clan."

"Dry your tears first, honey. Then go. When you return, your family will welcome you." Mother said with a smile.

"Yes, I understand. I mean, I will. See you in a few days......and mother?"

"Yes, dear?" She looked surprised at my question.

"I still can't walk on high heels." I'm looking at my very comfortable and safe flat shoes.

"Huh? Ha ha ha ha! I know, dear. Celeste, you will help her when she returns!"

"Yes, your majesty, it will be my pleasure to teach."

"Very well. And Celeste, this should show you how much you are appreciated in this Palace. We may never say it....but it's pretty obvious." 

Celeste simply bowed but couldn't hide a big smile from forming.

"And mother, I would like to follow history lessons with Melody please. I have some....insights from that time."

"Mmm.....alright, we can do that. But you still have to catch up with her. You are the elder sister of course."

"Oh....okay, that sounds fair. And dancing?"

"Well.....I had already assumed that you knew. Of course you can practice together. It might be the fun you were hoping for. Oh, that reminds me. Your lessons will soon include actual music. While you two will be practicing dancing....they will be practicing their music. Seems fair that way, right?"

"Yes, mother, it does. Might be fun if they missed a note." I said, and Melody is grinning, probably already imagining that.

"I'm sure it will be. Now go to your people and.....have fun."

I smiled at my family....feeling a new connection and walked over to father. "Thank you father, for helping me understand." I patted his shoulder twice.

"And little sis, I will return your plushie to you. It told me it was lonely in my bedroom."

"Oh......really?"  

"Yes, Melody. If you want, you can even take it back now."  

I was right, she really missed that one. 

She jumped up and gave me a hug. "Goodbye big sis.....and thanks."

"Ha ha ha....alright...bye." I bowed and teleported to my bedroom.

 

"AAhhhhh!!!"  A maid just screamed. 

"Oops....my bad."

"Oh, Princess, it's you, sorry...."

"No, please, don't go that way. I have done enough apologizing for today."

She just nodded and continued her work in my bedroom while I put my knife in its rightful place on my belt.

I open my map and find the exact place I wish to teleport to. "Teleport!" 

 

The last thing I heard was the beginning of another surprised cry from the maid, but I just ignored her. I guess teleporting inside the Palace is a no-no from now on too. But it doesn't matter anymore, I'm freeeeeeee!!!!!

 

 

[ Point of view: mother Sienna ]

 

I'm walking to Sasami's bedroom, hoping she's still there. My dear Sasami, you surely are a kind soul, but you really need to learn etiquette soon. It's just the way it has to be. Oh, she has already left?  

"Maid, did you see Sasami?"

"Eh, yes your majesty. She....eh...the Princess...vanished into thin air."

"<sigh> of course she did. Alright then, carry on."

"Your majesty?" I turn around and see one of our messengers waiting for my reply.

"Yes, what is it?"

"A message for Princess Sasami, your majesty. May I hand it over to you?"

"Of course......thank you. You are excused." 

"Yes, your majesty." He bows and rather quickly leaves me.

Does he fear me? Am I really that "mean"?  I cannot possibly be so intimidating...can I?

I look at my reflection in the mirror......and I do look stern....<sigh>....perhaps Sasami is right. She wouldn't listen to me, but immediately accepted her father's explanation. Perhaps I should try speaking to her in that way. She's still 16.....by the gods....I wish I was her age again.

Oh, right the letter. 

I sit down at Sasami's desk and ignore the maid. Like any well-experienced maid knows, she stays quiet in the background when I'm near her.

Mmmm.....this is.....from.....him. What a pity she has just left, the gods know she could use a bit of distraction in her life. Oh dear, I hope it's not urgent, but I can't open the envelope. Alright, I'll send him a reply, that she's gone for a few days. Just in case.

[ Point of view: Sasami in the forest near her Clan ]

"Achoo."  I suddenly had to sneeze for no apparent reason...weird.

Okay, so now what do I do? Just walk to them? "Hello, I'm back?" Or just teleport there?

But before I could make up my mind, I heard something running through the bushes behind me. My map, which I hadn't closed yet, shows a single red dot.

"Well hello there. Come out, come out wherever you are! Goblins...I freakin' HATE them. Hey! That's not fair...you've been sneaking up on me?"  I suddenly see many, many red dots....all moving my way, completely surrounding me, but there's still time.

I look up at the sky between the foliage and ask "Excuse me? Goddess Arhena? May I please use my skills on them? Seems like we're having a goblin issue around here."

The reply didn't take very long to arrive. "Sure, there are many more in our world now, they were transferred here from Earth. And unfortunately that means that nature is currently out of balance. So, go ahead and restore balance to those woods. And, Sasami, well done for asking permission, I know you hate them. But being a goddess means also knowing when to hold back."

That made me smile for a moment. "Oh....okay. I will remember that. Just like a billion other things mother wants me to remember."

A faint giggle told me she had been watching the entire thing....great, but now is not the time to feel embarrassed.

 

I'm suddenly feeling a surge of adrenaline, it's pumping through my body, making me grin. ".....awwwww. A surprise party? For me? Don't mind if I do! Tell me, who's the piñata today? Whaaat? All of you? Then hold still, please!"

"Lightning!"  BAM!  And the first Goblin is now roasted, medium rare....or probably well done by now.

"Ha ha ha, that's one. Mmm.....let's have some fun, shall we? Pixie frenzy!"

My favorite skill.....a few evilly giggling pixies just started attacking more goblins, making the number of red dots around me decrease pretty fast.

"Poison Ivy!"  The muffled sounds around tell me that another few Goblins are going offline now.

Between Goblin attacks I take a brief moment to see if I have any new skills...and I do.

"Oh, here's a nice one. Water bomb!" 

Right in front of me a huge blob of water plummets down from the heavens, instantly freezes and then shatters into a million pieces, disabling three more goblins in one strike.

"Mmm.....not bad for the first time using this skill, but let's have a bit more fun now."

 

I run after three more red dots, who suddenly seem to realize that I'm not your everyday Fairy. "Oh...c'mon, wait you guys! I know you like darts, so have some! Spike of wrath!" 

All three Goblins are instantly struck by dozens of little darts which just left my palms. "Yep, bye bye Goblins. Wait.....what? Ooooohhhhh!..that's cool....they are converging.....attempting a mass attack. Such an easy target.... "Divine retribution!" 

Suddenly the blue summer sky changes into a stormy, dark gray, greenish sky where a massive tornado is forming right above those attacking Goblins. I can feel the strong winds rushing through the forest, but not a single leaf is touched by it. It's a tornado created by magic, enhanced by divinity....only the Goblins are being sucked up.....high up into the sky...then they disappear from my map all together. 

BEEP! My map alerts me on another red dot, and indeed I would have missed that one. The little critter stealthily approached me from my back. "Peek a boo! Found you! Blitz!" And another lightning strike just roasted the Goblin. Yep, calling my skill "Blitz" also seems to work perfectly. 

"Mmm...you smell pretty nice like this, I think I'll take you home." Its body is a bit big for Fairies, but I manage to pull the still smoking body over my shoulder and carry it towards the village.

Judging from the map, I should arrive near my clan in about ten minutes. 

 

Suddenly an unexpected "mooooo" sounds from above in a treetop. Don't tell me they have flying cows here?

"Ha ha ha....what the heck are you supposed to be? Status!" 

It looks down at me and keeps turning its head all the time.

"Red striped Annulian Stupidus (harmless). Lives in dense forests and its mating call is a well known Fairy repellent."

"What? Ha ha ha! It's just a pigeon!"

"Mooooo  Mooooo Mooo."

"Okay, okay. Shut up!"  

Eh...it seems the description might be accurate after all. 

"Moooo Moooo Moooo...."      

"AAAHH!!" I quickly leave it behind as I'm tempted to use my skills on it.

 

 

While continuing my walk towards my Clan, I make sure to check the map for any red dots. Unfortunately I didn't pay any attention to my surroundings. Something suddenly scared the bejeebies out of me.

"Hello?" A sudden voice from a branch above me.

"Ahhhh!" I shout, then try to find where the sound originated from. "Oh, another Furling!"  

It sits on a branch, very close to the ground so I hadn't noticed it, distracted by my map.
"Hello there." It said.

Okay, why the heck not. I let the Goblin drop and look at the Furling, then say "...And hello to you too. Sorry, but you startled me."

"Yes, I noticed. So...you can speak?" It tilts its furry head, confused about my reply.

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, I can speak. My name is Sasami. What's yours?"

"I am Weaseltoe."

"Ehh....okay, nice to meet you, Weaseltoe. I met Mooseback a while ago, are you from his Clan?"

"Mooseback? No I'm Weaseltoe."

"Yeah, I know that. So...what Clan are you from?"

"I'm from the Weaseltoe Clan. We live nearby." He points with his nose toward his Clan, then looks at me again. "And I'm the Clanleader. I heard you making noise, so I flew here to have a look. What are you?"

"Well....I'm a Fairy and lots of Goblins attacked me. I don't like Goblins, so I had to...eh...roast them. And this guy will be my dinner tonight."

He looked at my soon to be dinner and grinned.

"Interesting method. Then I extend greetings from my Clan."

"Thank you very much, Weaseltoe. My Clan also lives near here. I'm sure you're already friends with them?"

"Fairies? No. You are actually the first who can properly talk. We just leave the others alone."

"Aww...well, I can't blame you. But you should definitely try to say hello. Even if they can't understand you, I promise they are kind."

"I see. Thank you, I will remember that. And thank you for killing those pests. We barely managed to withstand an attack. But our Clan is strong, we survived." He points his nose up into the air, probably a display of strength, then looks at me again.

"That is very good news. Perhaps we'll meet again soon? I have to go see my Clan now. I've been away from them far too long."

"But of course we can meet again. Clan is important. Go home."

"Sure, thank you. Wait, do you guys eat Goblins?"

"Blech...no....we prefer fruits, berries and nuts. But......when sufficiently roasted.....we occasionally eat them. But it usually isn't worth the wait for the flesh to burn."

"You mean...cook, not burn?"

"No burn. We like the charred flavor." His tongue just indicated a desire to taste freshly roasted Goblins.

"Wow, then you're in luck. There shouldn't be many Goblins alive anymore around here, as I managed to thoroughly roast most of them. Just follow your nose and ask your Clan to feast."

"Mmm, alright, don't mind if I do. Thanks for the food!"

"Anytime, my friend, anytime."

 

And so I continued walking to my Clan with a big grin on my face, while still carrying the roasted Goblin on my back.

 

After just a few more minutes I see a green dot blinking on the map, it's directly heading my way. I shout to them, warning that I'm not a threat. "Hello there, I am Sasami! The Goblins are gone now!"

Then I heard movement in the bushes in front of me and out of them emerged a very familiar face.

"Blaze!"

I carefully embraced him, not touching the arrows on his back which may be poisoned. I should have a skill against that, but I'm not eager to test that assumption.

He smiles after we separated from our embrace. "I knew it....it could have only been you. The whole forest screamed, not a bird remains when you move through these woods, Sasami. But...thank you...those Goblins have caused lots of trouble. Oh....and I see you brought dinner, excellent." He saw the Goblin on my back.

"Ha ha ha....yeah.....it was a revenge thing. I hate Goblins."

"Ha ha, yes, that makes two of us. But they do taste great. Did...Sasami! You already roasted it?"

"Yeah?"

"<sigh> then leave it here. We need a fresh one. Your way of...roasting....is a bit much."

"Oh.....I'm sorry. There should be a few less....roasted ones lying around there?" I pointed to where I arrived from.

"Leave them be, we have enough meat for tonight."

"Alright....." I threw the Goblin off my back and followed Blaze home.

 

 

After a few moments he said "Sasami....we lost one of our Clan. Old man Walnut....two Goblins...an unfair battle."

"Oh.....I'm sorry, Blaze."

"I know, you were needed elsewhere."

"I wish I could have been here when it happened, I might have..."

He suddenly stopped walking and interrupted me, looking me straight into the eyes "NO, stop it. You are not at fault. Just.....just be our Priestess tonight. Or do you have to leave again?"

Ouch...that hurt.

"No, this time I can stay a few days, but then I have to return."

"Very well. As we couldn't properly say goodbye to him without our Priestess...would you...please?"

"Of course I will, Blaze!" I tried consoling him, but I don't think he's the hugging type, so I quickly released the hug. "I'm sorry. But I really, really couldn't return any sooner."

"I know.... if you didn't care,  you wouldn't be here at all. But you are one of us...family. Please.....let's go home."

"Blaze, you should know I learned the teleport skill. So....I can visit you more often. Okay?"

"Really? That sounds pretty useful. I'll be looking forward to your visits. It somehow doesn't feel right to have one of our Clan live far away."

"Aww...." No, Sasami..no hugging this guy. "I promise to visit you more often."

"I will hold you to that promise." He smiled.

"Sure, Blaze, you do that."

9