Chapter 22: What a Fairy Needs
200 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The exact moment when I return to my Clan, seeing the treehuts again, I start feeling emotional. 

Tears are suddenly flowing freely from my eyes. Why do I still think of both places as home? I have two homes, two families, how can I keep both happy...and myself too? This is where my heart lies, but my parents and Melody have given me so much, they are family now too. I can't even abandon them if I wanted to.

 

 

The reunion was very emotional, lots of hugging, as we all still very much feel a connection between us. I told Nora all that had happened, including me becoming a Princess and a goddess. Let's just say that people had a hard time believing such a thing.

 

After nightfall, when all Clan members are joined around the fire, Nora sits down next to me.

"Sasami, are you alright?" She asked.

"Yes and no." I scratch my ears and am subconsciously petting my tail again, but Nora doesn't seem to mind. "My heart doesn't want to leave any of you, but I also love my family in the Palace. It's...difficult....even if I don't always like their ways." I look up into the starry night sky for a moment.

"Every Clan has their own ways, Sasami. It makes you a part of them. Respecting their ways simply means that they will respect you too."

"Yeah.....I wish I could do that. But their ways...are completely different from ours.....or yours I should say."

"No, our ways. You are still part of this Clan, even though the goddess herself has tried to break the bond. Even then...all of us still feel the connection to you. Don't you feel it anymore?" My god, she looks so disappointed. 

"Of course I do, Nora. I..I feel it very strongly. My heart has cried many times, wishing to return here....but....I'm supposed to be the Spiritwalker and such things. And now being a Princess doesn't make my life any easier. Let alone being a goddess. I just....want....peace."

"Blaze told me you could teleport here, is that true?"

"Oh, did he?" I glance at him, but he simply smiles, not knowing what we're discussing. "Yes, I can do that now."

"Then just visit us whenever you like. But....please try not to roast those Goblins anymore.... " She giggled, something she doesn't seem to do very often.

"Ha ha ha....sure, I promise. But speaking of Goblins, I know many have arrived here recently. How are you dealing with them?"

"They really are a nuisance. I'm afraid it will only be a matter of time before they get through our defenses. I didn't want to ask you before, but I might as well now. Isn't there anything you can do?"

"Sure, but I can't take all of them away. It would go against my duties as a goddess, even if it means my Clan is in danger. Now you understand how difficult my life has become?"

"Mmm....I'm beginning to. So....you being a goddess and all....if we need you here.....can we like......pray to you?" She asked very carefully.

"Huh? No no no, please don't. But perhaps sit around the campfire and....really think about me? Say my name? I have no idea, but you can always try?"

"Alright, we will."

Suddenly my map beeped, indicating danger approaching me.

"Nora! Look! There! A Goblin is approaching us!" I pointed towards the river area.

"Really? How do you know?" She immediately stands up, just like I do.

"I just...do. Trust me, Nora!"

"Blaze!" Nora shouted.

"No! Wait! Let me!" I forgot I could take care of the matter myself.

Blaze stopped dead in his tracks, ready to start the hunt. Being the great hunter he is, he's still scanning the area for Goblins.

I look at my map and say "Blitz!"  BAM! A lightning strike out of the cloudless starry night sky, followed by a loud thunder, just roasted another Goblin.

I take a deep breath and then say "It's gone, go and have a look, Blaze. It's safe now."

Blaze just ran off and Nora looked at me, very surprised. "You....you can do that so easily?"

"Yes, Nora, but I can't just go and kill them all. I want to stay here, but that would mean I must protect everyone, but the gods forbid me wiping out too many of those Goblins. I am only allowed to...well....balance things out. I can understand that of course, but when my Clan is hurt....following those rules will be painful.

And then we have of course the Royal Palace. The people there want me to be a nice Princess. All dressed up and be great at etiquette and dancing and whatnot. When I want to help people there, they say that I shouldn't. It's crazy actually. Their ways feel like the exact opposite of ours.

And back to being a goddess.....something tells me they won't let me walk around like this forever. Nora, what should I do?" I feel a headache starting and am massaging my forehead.

"Don't think ahead. Live only today. Tomorrow will be tomorrow. And today, be our Priestess." Nora smiled, making it sound so simple.

And still...her reply also made me smile. "Nora....you really are a great leader."

"I know." She winked. "When you're ready....please help us remember Walnut, we need your help for that."

 

After bathing they insisted that I dress appropriately, so I'm back to wearing one of their dresses...including that itchy underwear. But I chose to visit them, and I have to honor their ways, as much as I have to honor mother's.....

 

 

We're all gathered around the campfire, where I'm the only one standing. Two moons are now visible, the broken green one and the blue one. Somehow this creates the perfect mood for a memorial service.

I look up into the night sky and ask goddess Arhena for help. I mean, she was the one who granted me the Priestess sub-class in the first place, right?

"No, Sasami. This is all you now....don't overthink this, just be....their Priestess. Things will happen naturally." 

"Oh...okay, thanks anyway goddess." 

"Ha ha ha....Sasami, you should address me by name, not by title. Or do you want me to call you goddess too?"

"Eh...okay. Just forgive me, okay? Everyone seems eager to correct me lately. I need some time to adjust."

"Of course, you have all of eternity, never forget."

I shook my head. All of eternity. That sounds....long.

 

I raise my hands into the night sky and say "dear friends, we have gathered here to remember one of us." My wings started to glow a soft pink color, like they hadn't for quite some time.

"Our goddess will welcome Walnut into her loving embrace, but she will first wait for us to let him go.  Let us now think of our best moments with Walnut....the way he walked.....the way he talked. The things he said that made you smile. Did Walnot have a wife or children?"

"Sniff. Yes, I was his wife, but we have no children." An elderly lady said. I recognized her from laundry duty a long time ago. Her name is Olive.

"Please, Olive, join me." I extended my hand to her and she approached me, taking my hand.

She nods and tears are leaving her eyes. I motion the others to form a circle around the fire.

"Olive, tell your beloved your last words, until you too will join him in her loving embrace." I made sure to sound warm and kind, Olive needs this.

"W...Walnut. You...<sniff>>> I can't!" She shouted, more tears falling.

"Shh....it's okay. Then let me." Nora said. "Walnut, you were, no, you are a very respected member of this Clan. We thank you for your kindness and the protection you offered to us. We now release you from our tight family bond and entrust you into our goddess's loving embrace. May you find peace there until we shall meet again."

Nora looks at me, indicating it's my turn again. I notice many having difficulties keeping their tears from flowing.

"And so it shall be. Walnut, you are now in her loving embrace. Until we shall meet again."

At the exact moment I finish my sentence, our wings start to glow so bright it resembles daylight. Our combined light then moves towards the campfire as many tiny particles. 

There it forms a glowing orb which suddenly shoots up, straight into the heavens. It made a short sound resembling the strong winter wind blowing through the treetops....then our circle returned to the quiet evening we have had so far. 

I release the hands of my neighbors and Olive hugs me. "Thank you, Priestess.....thank you so much. I feel so much better now."

"The honor is all mine, Olive. Thank you for allowing me to join you."

 

Nora and I talked more about our little ceremony, and she said it was almost the same as how their previous Priestess performed it. So I guess my performance was really guided, because I had no idea what I was doing....but it still felt right.

Just before stepping into my bed, Nora's spare one, I checked my stats again. 

Yep....progressing nicely!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

>status:

Name: Sasami
Age: 16

Level: 12

Race: Fairy
Sub-type: Wild Fairy
Magic affinity type: Winter Fairy
Kinship: Kitsune
Primary Class: Spiritwalker
Secondary Class: Priestess
Titles: Princess, Goddess

Clan affiliation: *blocked by Class*
Current home: Ebisawa Palace, Country of Masea, Atias Continent, Ivroya region, the Kitsune city of Yamagawa.

Active skills:
-energy shock  lv.5   (stun you target with mana)
-fox fire lv.7    (release fire from your palms)
-ice shield lv.3  (protect yourself and your team against projectile weapons)
-blizzard wave lv.2  (instantly freeze up to 4 opponents)
-frost bite lv.1 (freeze a small area)
-lightning/Blitz  lv.7   (sniper, disable a single target at medium range)
-hellfire  lv.2  (wide range weapon, mana nuke)
-poison ivy  lv.2   (manipulate nature to strangle your opponent)
-wolf fangs  lv.1   (teeth for use in close combat)
-pixie frenzy lv.5   (a dozen angry spirits, ready to attack multiple targets)
-blow dryer lv.3   (quickly dry off after bathing)
-dragon's breath lv.5   (release a fiery inferno)  

Passive skills:
-poison resistance
-amplified senses
-turbo (enables high speed during flight)
-hunting
-ultimate cold resistance
-ultimate heat resistance
-bloodlust (fully focus on your opponent)
-homing skill (always find your way home)
-type 1 flight maneuvers (never hit a tree again)
-invisibility (only works with humans)
-Bunny jump  (defensive jump, bunny style)
-Kitsune shapeshift (temporarily change into a Kitsune)
-teleport
-divine retribution (wide area tornado strike)
-water bomb (freeze and shatter opponents)
-Spike of Wrath (fire deadly spikes)

Received blessings:
-Guardian of the Deerkin 
-Guardian of the Catkin
-Guardian of the Kitsune
-Guardian of the Wolfkin
-Guardian of the Lizardkin
-Guardian of the Elves
-Guardian of the Dragonkin 
-Guardian of the Bunny people
-Guardian of the Merfolk
-Guardian of the Dwarves
-Guardian of the Fairies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mmmm.....that's odd....so apparently my home is the Palace? Perhaps "home" in the system only means "where I live most of the time?" Whatever. This place is home too, of that I'm absolutely sure.

I curl up like a fox and let my tail touch my face.....mmm....so warm. My ears go flat again and the sounds around me slowly get softer and softer.  Until a certain map warns me about another approaching red dot.

"Blitz!"    I spoke quietly in bed.

After hearing the thunder, I smiled at the no longer blinking red dot. Suffice to say that I fell asleep very quickly and with a big grin on my face. 

 

 

Last night I slept amazingly well. The sounds of nature all around me...the stars in the sky....somehow all of this really connects to my very core. I wonder, will I be able to have this kind of experience in the Palace someday? Whatever will happen, will happen. And I just know that I'll be back here as soon as I can. 

Nora has already left without waking me, but I feel I should get up now. As soon as I open Nora's front door, ready to join the others for breakfast, I'm in for a surprise. 

Today seems to be a rainy day. And not a bit of it....no.....it's pouring.  But even that fact doesn't stop these Fairies. They just do what they usually do, completely unbothered by the weather. I wonder why they don't care about their drenched clothing? It surely must feel bad, right? And how do they even eat in winter? Will they sit there in the snow too?

After watching them eat from up here, I decided to just join them and get it over with. Well, I may be a goddess, but something tells me I shouldn't play with the weather.

When I land on the forest floor, I greet everyone and sit down next to Blaze. When I'm about to claim a berry for myself, Nora looks at me in total bewilderment. "Sasami! Your tails!" She points at my back.

I stand up, worried sick that my tail is on fire, but when I twirl around, of course my tail moves along too. Duh....did they just prank me? I feel stupid for not seeing through their early morning jokes and glare at Nora for pranking me.

"No really! You have two tails!" Nora says.

I take my tail in my hands and gently bend it forward, into fluffing-mode,....and sure enough....there are really two of them now!

"Eh.....Nora? Is this normal?" I asked.

"No! I have never seen this before! You just had one yesterday."

I let my tails go and let them sway on their own. "They feel normal, Nora." I shrug. 
I've seen so many weird things recently, so why the heck not?

I sit down and pretend that I don't care, earning me a few very surprised looks.
"Must be the rain,"  I added.

"Sasami.....you really are something."  Blaze said in awe, looking at my tails.

"Thank you, Blaze. Any idea when the rain will stop?" Let's try another topic.

"Eh...aren't you supposed to know?" He asked.

"Oh no....don't start like that. I'm still a trainee, alright?"  I'm the eternal trainee. First FEMA, then as a newbie Clanmember, a useless Princess, and now a....eh.....trainee goddess.

"What's a traaaaneeee?" He asked while tilting his head.

"Nevermind, Blaze. Blitz!"   BAM.  

All Fairies look at the lightning strike behind them, then at me. They were startled alright.

I shrug and say "What? There were two Goblins heading this way." 

Blaze just shakes his head, while Nora blinks several times. 

"What? It's just lightning, sheesh." I continued eating my berry, mmmm, fresh and fruity.

And someone up there must have taken pity on me, as the rain finally stopped and sunlight poured over our little sanctuary. Ah..that explains how their dresses dry.....they dry the old fashioned way...in the sun.

 

 

While watching the ladies do the laundry, I asked Nora what I should do, but she insisted that I should just relax. I already pointed Blaze to some fresh Goblins, so he'll be back early. 

Somehow this feels a bit like life in the Palace, they just won't let me help them. I guess Nora was right...it's just another Clan, other rules, but the idea is the same. 

Man, I'm so bored. No one ever lets me do anything fun!

 

FLASH

 

Somehow I'm suddenly in the Spirit Realm, walking through the office building again. Ah, right, sure, we also still have the Spirit Realm, how could I forget that? But why am I even here?

I walk through the corridors and see all kinds of people who probably work around here. Fairies, Dragonkin, all kinds of beings except for Goblins. I think nobody actually likes them, not even up here.

Wait...didn't the supreme goddess invite me to coffee one day? I could definitely use one now.

I find my way back to the library where my adventure began, so long ago, and hear footsteps approaching from behind me.

"Really? It feels that long to you?" A familiar voice said. It's the supreme goddess.

"Oh, hi, I was actually looking for you."

"Yes, I know. Please, do sit down, dear. I did promise you a cup of coffee, and it seems you really could use one now."

I joined her at the table, my favorite spot next to the coffee machine, which we made good use of.

"Mmm....yeah. I still have difficulties identifying where my home is supposed to be. I like my Clan, but somehow just...surviving doesn't feel all that exciting anymore. And living in a Palace is nice, but those silly rules....blech. What should I do?" 

We both sipped from our coffee, and I have to admit....it actually tastes like the real thing now.

"Well, Nora was right about one thing. Things will be fine, just live day by day and see what happens. Isn't that what life is all about?"

"Perhaps....I don't really know. It feels like I'm forgetting something. Do you recognize that feeling? Like something is screaming for attention inside your brain, but when you look for it, it's suddenly pretending to be gone?"

"Eh.....you have a colorful way to describe it, but yes, I know the feeling."

"Goddess?"

"Yes?"

"Please tell me....is there anything planned for me? You know, destiny stuff and such?"

"Ha ha ha, Sasami! Don't tell me you actually are hooked on the adrenaline rush now, are you?"

"Well....no, not really. But just being a Clan member......or just being a Princess.....it all feels so....."

"Empty?" She looked at her now empty coffee cup, but it might also be her reply to my question.

"Yes! That is exactly the word I was looking for."

"I know, dear, but don't worry. This is supposed to be your holiday, remember? So you are allowed to relax. And when you get back to the Palace, you will find that becoming a proper Princess will get easier every day. You need to fill that void in your soul, and being in the Palace will help you achieve that. But I can't tell you more." She smiles, but she's also clearly hiding stuff from me.

"Wow.....so....going back to the Palace...and learning etiquette and such? That's really going to be useful for me then?"

"More so than you think. But keep visiting your friends here, it will help you stay balanced."

"Excellent, I feel better already! Or is it the coffee?"

"Ha ha ha, I had hoped you liked the good company, but coffee works too!"

"Oh...yeah...sorry. I didn't mean it like that. I really appreciate these little nudges of yours, you know, guiding me here and there?"

"Nudges? Yes, I like that. Well, Sasami, prepare to be nudged many times. For now, just be happy and try to pick up some good tips from your mother. And speaking of her...she hopes you'll be back soon."

"Wow, so soon already?" I'm scratching my ears, as just thinking about my mother's many "tips" makes me nervous again.

"Ha ha ha, yes. And I'm relieved you and your mom can see eye to eye again. For now, being in the Palace will help you in the long run. And that includes being a goddess. Your mom may seem stern, but she really cares for you."

I look at my now empty coffee cup and nod. "Yeah...I know. But still....it's difficult to interpret her nudges as gentle tips. And I know she means well, but it doesn't feel that way. You know?"

"Yes, I understand your feelings. You'll be fine, Sasami. Just...learn to relax. That too will help you once you learn how to be a goddess."

"About that...are there any duties or something for me? I mean, I don't know if I can handle that on top of learning how to be a Princess."

"No, not for now. In time you will have your duties, but not for now. You have done so much for this world and us deities, and you even helped Earth. Think of this period as a prolonged holiday. Just focus on being a Princess and visit your friends from time to time. And when the time approaches for you to become a full fledged goddess....you will be guided into that role. So don't worry so much."

"Man, this really helped me." I nod and look at the ceiling, great...fluorescent lights, the first time I noticed those. One of them is actually flickering and buzzing.

"Yeah, dude, amazing."

"What? What the heck does that mean?"  I look at her in total bewilderment.

"Sasami, you really need to mind your speech. You're a woman. You didn't expect me to say dude but that's exactly how you sound to others."

"Oh.....I....oh. So that's what mother thinks of me?"

"Yes, well, but in a good way. I'm sorry for confronting you with this, but it helps to hear it from someone else." 

"<sigh>. Alright, I will do my best, goddess."

"Excellent."

"Eh...by the way. Why do I have two tails now?"

"Finally she asks me...finally! It's because you are a goddess now. C'mon, you have read Earth's isekai novels, right?"

"Eh...yes?"

"And you have never read about Kitsune goddesses? About the fact that the number of their tails increases when their experience as a goddess increases?"

"You have to be kidding me? That's actually real?"

"Sure thing. Where do you think humans got those ideas from?"

"Wow. It's amazing!"

"Yes it is. Oh, and just think about hiding them if you wish. You now have two tails, for being a level 2 goddess."

"Cool."

"Yeah, dude."

"Oh...sorry. Have to mind my language."

"Ha ha ha, yes you sure do, dear. And there are 9 levels for you to explore. But reaching number 9....is going to take a few millennia."

"Millennia?"

"Yes....time has a different meaning for you now. It's like they say....it's about the journey, not the destination. So take your time. And before I forget...your mom really is hoping for your early return. Hint hint." She winked.

"Oh? Ahh....so....I should...?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about." She winked again.

 

FLASH

 

And then I found myself back with my Clan.

I focus on my tails, desiring to have only one and then actually just feel a single one again. Weird.

"Sasami! Ah, finally! Are you alright?" I feel Nora's hands turn my head towards her, then she lets go. She looks at my tail and looks surprised, but doesn't comment on it.

"Eh.....sure, I visited the goddess, that's all." I shrugged.

"You were staring all the time, Sasami. Sorry to disturb you, but we have a visitor." She points behind me. 

When I turn around I see a Furling lying in the grass, licking its fur beneath one wing.

"A Furling?" I said to no one in particular.

"Oh, that's what they're called? It arrived a few minutes ago and made every effort not to look threatening, see?"

"Yeah, I know. That's Weaseltoe, the Clan leader. He's very kind."

"Huh? How do you know that?"

"Because.....I can talk to them?"  I mean, it's simple right?

I decided to leave Nora standing there, totally confused by my ability to understand these beings.

 

"Hi there, Weaseltoe, are you alright?" I approached the Furling.

He immediately stops licking his fur and now stands proudly on his four paws. "Hi, Sasami. Sorry for intruding into your Clan. Would you please help me?" His furry tail is swaying like a dog's.

I hear Nora approach me, but she stops behind me. I briefly look at her and nod, showing her it's alright. "Sure, what can we do for you?"

"I'm looking for healing berries. As a fellow Clan member, you might know where they are? Since those many Goblins are roaming around these woods, most berries are gone."

"E...sorry, let me ask. Nora? Do you know anything about healing berries?"

She joins me and keeps staring at Weaseltoe. "Eh...yes, we have a few fresh ones. Blaze looks for them everyday, why?"

"Weaseltoe here needs a few. Can you spare them?"

"Actually...rather not...there aren't many remaining since so many Goblins have arrived."

"Mmm....yeah, that's what he said."

I look at Weaseltoe and see his tail still proudly swaying. Does he even understand what we're saying? I guess not. "Weaseltoe, they rather not part with the berries. But perhaps I can help? Does anyone need healing?"

"Yes, we were attacked last night by Goblins." He looks back at some bushes, but I can't see anyone there.

"Ah crap. Oops, I mean....that sucks. Oh crap. Whatever."  I really need to be more careful about what I say.

"What sucks?" Weaseltoe said, looking pretty confused.

"Nothing, but who needs healing?"

He turns around again and then makes that familiar "peeeeee" sound, just like Mooseback did. I wonder why that isn't translated? At the same time another Furling slowly hobbles this way, it's definitely in pain.

I run to it so it doesn't have to walk all this way. Weaseltoe and Nora follow me.

"Hi there, it seems you're hurt?" I feel sorry for this one. Judging by the lack of long, braided, hair, I assume it's a male.

"Yes, one of those Goblins got to me. I can't feel my left leg anymore. Can you please spare a few healing berries?" He asked very politely.

"No, I'm sorry, but I will offer healing instead. May I touch you?"

"Healing? By all means, that's what I want!"

With my two hands on his back I look up into the sky. "May this one be healed by DIVINE HEALING!" And the second I had finished my sentence, my hands and the Furling started to glow for a few seconds. "There! How do you feel now?"

"Huh? That....that's amazing! I'm actually healed! Thank you soooo much! Peeeeeeee!"  This Furling used his head to give me a little nudge, showing affection just like a cat tends to do.

"Thank you very much, Sasami. I really appreciate your help. And tell your Clan members that your Clan and our Clan are now officially friends." Weaseltoe said.

"Wow, I will. I am deeply honored by that. May our friendship last forever!"

"Well said!" Weaseltoe replied, after which both Furlings spread their wings and flew away, back into the forest.

"Sasami.....what just happened?" Nora asked, still looking a bit confused.

"Huh? Didn't you hear...ah no....you can't understand them, right?"

"No, and you made no sense either. Just snarling, making peeeee sounds and sniffing sounds, no disrespect intended..."

"Eh...non taken. Well, I was able to heal his friend who was attacked by Goblins. And now our Clan and his Clan are considered friends."

"Amazing....I will spread the word, Sasami. I had no idea they were so...intelligent."

"Yes, they really are. They even have a culture. Goddess statues and such. Pretty amazing."

"They do? Just one day with you and I have learned so many new things. You really are quite something."

"Yeah.....well....oh, right. If you don't mind, I will get dressed again. It seems that someone is waiting for me at home."

"At home?" Nora emphasized that pretty noticeably.

"Oh no....I didn't mean it like that, Nora. This is well.... home. But the Palace is my home too."

"I know, I was just teasing you. But for what's worth, it seems you are now able to see things in perspective, well done, Priestess. Go ahead, I'll tell the others. And don't be a stranger, alright?"

"Of course. See you soon, Nora!"

 

I rushed into her home in the treetop and changed back into my Spiritwalker outfit. Then I stop for a moment. Why am I even wearing this outfit? Do I still have Spiritwalker duties? I don't think so.....but that means....only dresses from now on. I grimaced. Well, better get used to those....the goddess must know what's best for me....and so far she has always been spot on.

I put my Clan's dress on the bed, folding it a little, to make it at least look as if I know something about etiquette. My itchy underwear is in the basket where it belongs, good riddance.

Nora is smart, she'll understand when she sees the not very neatly folded dress....I'm still learning this stuff.

I look outside the door once more, take a deep breath....and FLASH......I'm back in my bedroom in the Palace.

8