Chapter 23: A Fairy’s Broken Heart
221 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This time I didn't startle anyone when teleporting to my bedroom. 

I immediately noticed the absence of a certain plushie....ha ha ha....it really must have been one of Melody's favorites.

Oh...would you look at that? Someone put fresh flowers in a pretty green vase on my desk! I walk over to the desk and smell the flowers....they're definitely fresh. Could they be Whirl's?

On my desk I find another unopened envelope, it's definitely from Kenta! I'm sure, the design of the envelope is the same just like the seal. I quickly break the seal and read the letter inside while still standing.

 

"Dear Miss Sasami, 

As I cannot possibly patiently wait for your reply to arrive, I would like to inform you that a messenger will arrive shortly. He will ask for your answer to the following question.
I will soon be visiting your region and was hoping you might then be available to join me for dinner?

warmest regards,
Kenta."

 

I leave the letter on my desk and run into the corridor with a big smile on my face, only then realizing that I probably should start behaving more like a Princess. So from now on....I'll give it my best. I'd love to go on a date with him, but...I have no idea what to expect? I think I could use some last-minute etiquette lessons...

I'm forcing myself to calmly walk down the stairs and see my mother looking up at me. "Now, that's a happy coincidence! Honey, we have a messenger for you." She motions for me to join her.

Okay, let's play along. "For me, mother?" I asked in a very polite tone of voice. Alright, perhaps a bit too much, but I'm still learning.

She looks surprised to see me, or perhaps surprised at my attitude...I'm trying to emulate her....more or less.

"Greetings, Miss Sasami." The messenger, wearing some kind of postal uniform, said.

"Hello dear sir, may I ask what this is about?"

I try to ignore my mother's confused expression, I can feel it....she has lost it....

"But of course, Miss. Lord Kenta, President of the Blue Mountain Fishing Company, wishes to receive your reply to his question. He asks if you will be available tomorrow afternoon for dinner? The location will be a restaurant near this Castle."

"First of all, dear messenger..." mother seems to feel the need to intervene "...this is not a Castle but a Palace. And secondly, my daughter is not Miss Sasami, but Princess Sasami. Do you understand?"

"Eh, yes, your royal highness. Please do accept my humble apologies."  He bows deeply to her.

"I do accept."  She said, like throwing fuel onto the fire.......

I can see it in his eyes...he's not amused, but this time I won't argue with her. Nope, I learned my lesson the hard way.

"Princess Sasami, may I have your reply, please?" He asked very, very politely.

I see my mother nodding.

"Yes, dear sir, please tell Lord Kenta I will be available." I have to be polite, he introduced Kenta as "Lord," so I'll have to call him the same.

"Splendid. A carriage will be sent to pick you up early in the afternoon." The messenger smiled.

"Pick....her.....up..?" Mother asked, with fury in her eyes and voice.

"Eh...a carriage will be sent to escort the Princess?" He tried again.

"No. Lord Kenta will escort her in person. And please do tell him that I expect my daughter to return to this Palace before the second moon rises. She has duties to attend to in the morning."

What the heck does that even mean? And what duties? A helpful hint from goddess Arhena arrived in my mind... "It means before midnight. And she was thinking about etiquette lessons."

I silently thanked her.

"Eh...yes, your royal highness. I will relay your request."  He seems a bit nervous now, looking absolutely serious.

"No, dear messenger, that was not a request. This Queen demands." 

This made me blush from embarrassment....she's going all out with this poor guy, but I can't intervene.

"Yes, your royal highness. Your demand is perfectly clear. May I please be excused?" He's sweating profusely now.

"You may. Please relay our greetings to Lord Kenta on our behalf."

He bows and says "understood," then rather quickly leaves the Palace grounds. Poor guy, I really feel sorry for him.

Mother gently pushes me into the Palace and a maid closes the front door behind us.

"Sasami, dear, what perfect timing! Did you enjoy your day in the wilds?" 

Wow...scary...she's totally different now. But...Wilds? Really? Stay calm...   
"Eh...yes mother, I had a very relaxing time. It also helped me reflect on my duties as a Princess."

"Mmm....it would appear so. Your manners and speech have already improved considerably. Your tutoring lessons shall begin the day after the dinner you have just agreed to."

"Yes, mother, thank you very much." I gave her a polite nod and a smile.

She stops and then looks at me, saying in a loud voice "Who are you? Where is my Sasami?" 

I look at her in total bewilderment. "Huh?"

Then she just hugs the life out of me. "Welcome home, honey. You have been working on your manners so diligently, I almost can't believe it. I'm so sorry for being so...cold....to you. I too had some time to reflect."

"Oh.....of course. And I know, mother...but I'm sorry too. I was wrong. I see that now."

"Things will be fine, just take it one step at a time. Do you have any preferences for your first tutoring session?"

"Actually I do. I was hoping that I could have a few lessons before my...dinner appointment?"

"Mmmm......are you serious?" She seems surprised.

"Yes, mother. Very."

"Then so it shall be. It's now around noon, so expect your first lessons this afternoon. After bathing." She said after looking at my Spiritwalker outfit, probably reminding her of "unclean."

"Yes, mother!" I said enthusiastically.

"By the gods, are you really serious?"

"Uh-huh. Eh...I mean, yes mother."

"And you will dress properly as is expected of a Princess." She looks carefully, clearly expecting me to object.

"Of course, mother."

She then looked at me from top to toe. "Now I'm certain.....who are you and where is my Sasami?"

"Ha ha ha....I am right here, mother. My Clan leader told me your rules were no different from theirs. A Clan is a Clan. And the supreme goddess also told me to trust you....so here I am. Your daughter Sasami."

Again she squeezed the life out of me. "I still can't believe it, dear. And I promise, when we're alone, just us...without staff or guests, I will be the best mom I can be for you. But when others are around us..."

"Of course mother, it's in the best interest of our family to show proper manners."

"I'm still not sure if you really are...you?" She looked at my shoes again. Well, I'm the only one wearing flat shoes, so who else could it be?

"Duh...does that help?"

"Ha ha ha....yes, that helped. Now be a good daughter and let Celeste bathe you." It didn't sound like a suggestion.

"Y....yes mother."

"Good girl."

"Ehehehe" Somehow I like that reply, she found my weak spot. I'm defenseless against my mother now.

"Oh, mother? I noticed there are fresh flowers everywhere. Is there an occasion?"

"No, we have asked your friend, Whirl, to send us fresh flowers everyday. You seemed to have appreciated that bouquet so much."

"Yes, mother, I have. When I traveled back in time, I can't believe that actually happened, anyway....they had fresh flowers everywhere. It now looks just like then. Beautiful."

"I love that smile of yours, it suits you. Be sure to show it more often. That was not a request."

"Ha ha ha, yes mother, I understand. It was a demand."

She smiled and said "you understand well, my daughter. Now bathe at once!"

"Yes, ma'am!" I saluted, Earth-style. Then I just flew up the stairs, completely forgetting about etiquette.

"NO FLYING SASAMI!" She shouted from down below.

I ran back and looked down to the first floor where I saw her look at me. "Sorry! Won't happen again!"

"No it won't!" 

Oops...

 

Right before bathing I visited Melody while she was studying. Her tutor, Mrs Clover, didn't mind the interruption and asked if I would like to join them. I politely declined and told them I would have my own tutoring session soon, and that I just wanted to visit my little sister. When Mrs Clover left us for a moment, Melody thanked me for returning the plushie, but also for the very welcome interruption. It seems that dance lessons will start soon, but they wanted to wait for my return. Even Melody was surprised with my other than normal behavior, but I whispered to her that I'm still me.

I left a smiling Melody in her tutor's care and apologized for interrupting her teachings. I can see the amazement in Mrs Clover's eyes too....these people have no idea what I'm really capable of....but then again, I guess neither do I.

 

After bathing and dressing up like a proper Princess, Celeste taught me the basics of applying makeup. There wasn't much time for questions as it was soon time for lunch.

Father too was able to join us for lunch and he was happy to see me return home.

Right after lunch Celeste helped me practice walking on heels for at least an hour, and I must admit...there's still hope for me. I think I can now safely walk on them, albeit slowly. She told me that switching between high heeled shoes and flat shoes was the main reason I had so many difficulties wearing them. All in all it was easier walking on them than I had thought. 

 

It's now early in the afternoon and we're waiting in the Tearoom for my tutor to arrive.

"Good afternoon, your majesty. Thank you for inviting me. I am Meridian."

I want to make a good impression and stand up, giving an ever so slight bow. I don't dare curtsy, it might not be a thing here. "It is quite the honor to meet you, Miss Meridian. Please take good care of me."

"I will, I promise. But please, do not bow before me." She sounded sincere, but also very kind.

"In that case, please do sit down. Would you care for some tea while we discuss the lessons?" I asked, motioning for her to sit down on a chair next to mother.

"Thank you very much and yes, please."

We both sit down, and I remember to sit down slowly, making sure to properly keep my dress straight when sitting down. My legs and knees are firmly locked to each other, hoping to give a good impression.

My parents and my tutor have already introduced themselves during the selection period. Something tells me that many, many people were turned down...to find the right person just for my sake. I must admit that I felt very nervous, but Miss Meridian's smile told me she's a kind soul.

After drinking our tea, I asked if we might be excused so we could start with etiquette lessons.

 

Celeste guided us to my bedroom, which now doubles as a study room. The curtains are open and so are the balcony doors. Once we enter the bedroom, Celeste closes the door behind us and leaves us, but not before winking at me.

"Princess, the view from your bedroom is truly impressive."

"Yes, it surely is. Please, would you accompany me?"

"To...to the balcony? Of course?" She joined me and seemed to take in the sights. 

"I really like this room and balcony. Imagine a starry night sky....crickets chirping....a gentle moonlight....a summer breeze......just perfect. Oh, Miss Meridian?"

"Yes, Princess?"

"Before we continue, I have to be honest with you."

"Alright, please continue." She looks serious now.

"I promise to do my best with studying etiquette, and other topics too of course. But you should know that since we have met, you have not seen the real Sasami."

She smiled. "I know. Thank you for mentioning that, Princess."

"See, right there. I'm not a really complicated person, and to be honest, I still need to learn much. So please just call me Sasami while we are alone. It makes life easier."

"Of course, Sasami."

"Wow, I thought you would demand to address me as Princess?"

"Why would I do that? I'm here to help, not to make your life more difficult."

"Excellent. Can you keep a secret?"

"Of course I can."

"I will have dinner with a very important person tomorrow afternoon. And my understanding of etiquette in such matters is next to nothing. Please give me some pointers so I won't appear like a lost cause."

"Ha ha ha, I like your sense of humor. There's a difference between learning etiquette and trying to look like someone else. First rule.....just be yourself. As for how to eat politely, or when to speak or not....I will give you some pointers as you said. But I will make sure not to force things onto you. You have to accept those concepts naturally, or they won't work. Trust me, you don't want to be someone else."

"Miss Meridian, I think we are going to be good friends." 

I smiled and she returned the smile. "I'm looking forward to that. So, shall we begin with your first etiquette lesson then?"

I pointed back inside the room at my desk and offered her a seat. I quickly removed the beautycase and letter and luckily she didn't mind.

 

The lessons were interesting, to say the least. My mind is overflowing with concepts of do's and don'ts, but I think I get the general idea. Apparently curtsying is a thing here after all, and she taught me how to properly perform one.

During dinner I thanked my parents for helping me prepare for my dinner date with...him. Mother reassured me that Kenta expects to see the Sasami from the dance, not the one I'm apparently trying to become. It was pretty confusing, but I think I see her point. Be polite, but not fake. Something like that.

That night I slept poorly, waking many times, trying to determine which parts of the lessons I should apply or not. But at least I did get some sleep.

 

 

Midday arrived sooner than I had expected. Celeste used her best makeup techniques on me, and I stopped braiding my hair. Instead it now freely flows like it did when Kenta and I first met. It somehow looks nicer now, with a beautiful ornament in it.

While waiting in the Tearoom for Kenta to arrive, a maid suddenly announced his arrival. We all stand up and see him enter the room. He looks nervous, but smiles the instant his eyes find me.

I can't suppress a smile and walk to him, then perform a curtsy. He seems very surprised, so I'll try to break the ice for him. "Welcome again to the Royal Palace. Please, may I introduce my parents to you?"

"Your....parents?" He glanced at my parents.

"Yes, Kenta, please, do sit down, we will explain in a moment." Father informed him almost informally.

Huh, do they know him already? How odd. Ah, as the president of his fishing company of course. 

We all sat down, but Kenta was offered another chair while I sat on the sofa. I agree, it would be awkward to sit next to each other now.

"Kenta, we have welcomed Sasami into our family. She's now our eldest daughter and a Princess, but not the heir to the throne." Father explained.

"I...see." Kenta looked at me, but then quickly smiled. His smile eased my own nervousness.  "I must admit, Sasami. You being a Princess...is a surprise to say the least....but a good one."

I blush and smile at him, then look at my mother, not knowing what to say.

Mother then replies, "Sasami, we have known Kenta for quite some time. Our cities keep in touch regularly and we first met him during a well known annual festival in his country when he was just a boy."

Huh? He lives in another city? I nod at mother and then look at Kenta, asking him very shily. "Excuse me, Kenta?"

"Yes, Sasami?" His smile is melting my heart, but I have to concentrate.

"Kenta, I thought you lived nearby as the CEO of a local fishing company? Not in a different city?"

He shook his head, appearing a bit confused. "SEEO? Eh...oh, I apologize if you felt misled. I noticed that you, as a Wild Fairy, didn't recognize me during our dance. So.....I thought it would be wise, at least for a while, to hide my true identity. I didn't want to scare you away."

"Then.....Kenta.....who are you...really?" I know he can see it in my eyes....I don't like this one bit.

"My name is Kenta Oakstripe. I am 18 years of age and have lived in the Dragonkin city of Arkton in the neighboring country of Jarora for all my life."

I'm massaging my forehead, I know that's not very ladylike, but I have to focus. "So.....okay, let me get this. You do work for or own a fishing company, but just not one in this city nor in this country?"

"Eh....I'm their president, yes. But that's not the only company I own...to be completely honest." He's grimacing...definitely still hiding something.

Now I look at him in total bewilderment. "Sorry, you lost me. I don't understand? What do you mean, more companies? I thought you were...just...a fisherman or something like that?"

"Well, I do like to go fishing occasionally, but in all honesty, I am Prince Kenta, first in line to the throne of Arkton."

I blink many times and have difficulties not to gawk. When I look at my parents, I see them nod and smile, but there isn't anything funny or worthy of a smile going on here. This guy lied to me!

I swallow and look at Kenta again. "So....you.....you...basically...lied to me? You even signed your letters as the president of a fishing company? Even your messenger told me that!"

He tries to avoid looking into my eyes, but then does exactly that. "Eh, yes, I have to admit. That wasn't very smart, I didn't..."  But I interrupted him.

"No, you don't get it, do you? You lied to me." Tears start flowing uncontrollably, yes, I'm crying alright. Gone are those warm, happy feelings. The one I danced with doesn't even exist, this man is actually a real Prince. One in a Palace, with lots of etiquette.....not a simple person at all. He's the embodiment of what I don't like...complexity. I thought we would just have a fun day, and if things worked out.....just be happy somewhere. But in a Palace? No....no bloody way!

 

FLASH

 

I simply left the room, goddess-style, and appeared on the swing near the Buggos. I'm crying nonstop, losing all interest in anything remotely connected to etiquette or royalty. 

 

Suddenly I find myself with the supreme goddess, in her office. 

"Awww...Sasami."  She walks over to me and hugs me, letting me cry into her shoulder. After a minute she says "He didn't mean to lie, that's why he told you the truth before going on a date with him."

"But...but....I thought he was just a local fisherman? But he's actually a Prince in the neighboring country. Even THAT he forgot to mention."

"Does it really matter where he lives?"

"Huh?"

"Do you think......you.....love...him?"

"Well.....I think I do <sniff>?"

"Then go on a date with him. Trust me, even now he's restless, nervous, afraid he has already lost you. Your parents are trying to keep him from leaving as we speak."

"Really?"

"Yes, really. So...why not give him a chance? Sure, he should have just been honest with you, but he really didn't mean to hurt you. I know it's not my place to tell you.....but he just wanted to present himself as.....who he really is. You are just Sasami. Same applies to him.....he's just....Kenta."

"But...but....."

"Just tell him how you feel, okay? He's looking for you right now. Good luck, dear."

When I return to reality, I hear the Buggos shouting "intruder, intruder!" That made me smile, but only for a second. They would make great guard dogs. 

 

Kenta walks over to me, but doesn't say a single word. None of us said a word for a very long, awkward minute.

"Your mother told me where I could find you." He said very gently, trying to get the conversation started.

"Well....you have found me." I'm not looking at him, just barely moving forward and backwards on the swing.

"Yes, but teleporting out of there was.....surprising to say the least. Then hearing that you're a goddess too... I don't even know what to feel or say. I mean, do I pray?"

"Huh? Why would you even say that?" I look up at him while still gently moving on the swing.

"So....just....to be fair.....it seems like you weren't completely honest with me either."

"What?! All of that happened after we met. After our wonderful dance, when all was right with the world. Then things just....happened." I'm crying again. "I didn't lie to you! Ever! How can you even say that?"

"Please don't run away again. By the gods....I'm sorry, okay? I really, really didn't mean to hide the truth from you. I...honestly....I just wanted to show you who I really am. Just Kenta. Not a distant Prince in a far away country! I was hoping to meet a woman like you, one who didn't even know I was a Prince. <sigh> But I made a mistake......I'm sorry for not being honest with you. Now I just want to talk." 

"Oh...I see, I can understand that...but it was still wrong. So.....now what do we do? I guess...we were both wrong. I bet you don't like the real me, huh? The one who's a crying mess instead of being a happy Princess, ready to be asked out for a dinner date? By a Prince no less?"

He smiles again. "I'm actually very happy to see the real you. That's what I like about you. You are smart, pretty, and just....Sasami. When you laugh, I have to laugh. When you cry...I feel miserable. You have no hidden agenda, you're just...you. Well...and a Princess and a goddess too....but I didn't ask for any of that. Today I originally wanted to ask if you wished to stay with me for a while....but I guess....perhaps you don't really trust me anymore?" 

"Well......it's not that I don't trust you anymore. It's just that I didn't expect you to be a Prince. And I hate it when people lie. I can't stand it. But yes, I can understand why
You have to know, Kenta, I am a Wild Fairy at heart. I need nature around me and let's face it.....I'm not really that comfortable with royalty, etiquette etc. The thought of being with you in a Palace....doing Royal....things or whatever you do....just..scared me. I'm not suited to be in a Palace. I might even embarrass you in front of others."  I give him a cautious smile.

"How can I be embarrassed when you're at my side? And about living in a Palace.....you already live in one now?"

"Eh.....well.....you got me there. So...it depends."

He looks surprised "depends on what?"

"On whether you can accept an inexperienced Princess into your life or not. One who probably lacks common sense, happens to be a goddess, is bad with etiquette and dancing and needs to frequently visit a forest near her."

"Huh? Ha ha ha! If that's all, then I'd love to continue seeing you. I just want you in my life, Sasami. I knew that the second we met. And dancing with you....only confirmed my feelings." 

I'm blushing and removing the last of my tears. In a very gentle tone of voice I reply "Kenta...I feel the exact same way....ever since we danced. You are kind, smart, gentle, have a way with words.....and you're an amazing dancer."

"I am? Hehehe. I thought you guided me? That was my first ever real ballroom dance!" He's scratching the ears on top of his head, the same I do when I'm nervous. That made me smile. "See how amazing you are? So...what should we do, Sasami?" 

I'm blushing severely now. "It was my first ever dance too. And I would love to have dinner with you. How do I look?"

"You look amazing. Your tears are almost gone and I love that wonderful smile you're showing me now."

He walks closer to me. Much closer. Very close. "May I kiss the Spiritwalker?"

"Ehhhh.......No." I crossed my arms to emphasize my statement.

"Huh?" He steps back and looks at me in a very confused way. 

"However.....you may kiss Sasami!" I smiled my warmest smile ever.

He returned the smile, and then....his hands formed around my cheeks and I could see his ears twitch from nervousness. But then.....then our eyes closed....and we kissed. Then I knew it....he was the one. 

 

A few minutes later we're both silent, lost in thought. For some reason Kenta is gently pushing me forward on the swing. And the best part is, that he doesn't even seem to realize it.

I look up at him and ask "Kenta?"

"Yes, Sasami?"

"Did you make dinner reservations?"

"Oh..eh.....not yet. I didn't know what kind of restaurant you might prefer. I guess that's....a bad thing?" He grimaced, afraid of my reaction.

"No, that's actually a very good thing. I was secretly hoping you would say that. I'm not really the type to eat in a fancy, classy restaurant....at least not yet."

"Not...yet? I'm sorry, I don't understand?"

"Well......as today seems to be all about revelations...let me be honest. I have zero understanding of etiquette and honestly...that applies to eating in a restaurant too."

He smiles and lets go of the swing, then stands before me. "Sasami, I know that already. You told me, remember? It's okay....I like the real Sasami, not an actress."

"Oh, right. In that case....how about.....oh....hello mother, father!" I caught my parents sneaking this way, they were probably trying not to disturb us.

"Sasami, are you alright?" Mother asked very...motherly for a change.

"Yes, mother. It seems it was all just one big misunderstanding. Kenta and I were just discussing dinner plans."

"Oh, that is so good to hear!" Father said, earning him a nudge into his back from mom.

"What your father meant to say is that...we're happy for you. Will you be leaving, or having dinner with us? Kenta, you are welcome to stay of course." Mother said in her usual tone.

"With respect, Sienna, I would like to take her to a restaurant. But I must admit that I'm not sure which one might be up to standard for a Princess."

He addresses her by her first name? Wow, they really must have a long history of friendship.

She smiled. "In that case, let me suggest The Mountainview Ambience. Our family has frequently visited that establishment, and always to our satisfaction. And as the name implies....they have a great view on Mount Darnach. Sasami, just tell them....no, wear your necklace and show them the crest. Kenta, Sasami, just enjoy your time together, we will gladly pay for your meals. It's the least we can do as an apology for today." 

Mother sees my surprised reaction. "Oh no no no, it's not about you, dear. Your parents should have told you the truth...so please forgive us."

There can only be one way to reply...I hugged my parents. "I already have. Thank you very much, all of you."

Kenta seems relieved that things have worked out after all...at least I am, and he's smiling big time. 

"Very well, we will send one of our staff to confirm the reservations. Perhaps you two would like to visit our city first?" Father told us matter of factly.

"Excellent idea! What about you, Kenta?" I'm already looking forward to our time together.

"Sure, sounds like a great idea. You can be my guide then."

"Well.....sure, I'll try."  I smiled at him. He must have forgotten that I'm a Wild Fairy. I didn't grow up in this city, or even anywhere on this planet. "Let me quickly grab my necklace." I still can't understand how I could forget to put that thing around my neck! 

 

FLASH

 

I quickly teleport to my bedroom and startle another maid who just dropped a few towels. "Aaah!!" 

"Oops....sorry. I won't do that anymore."  I raised my hands as in surrender.

"Eh...yes, your highness. It's alright." She quickly left the room after she grabbed the towels which were lying on the floor.

I look at my necklace and sure enough, a small crest is engraved on it. How strange, I must have missed that last time, but it's actually very pretty. 

After fiddling with it for a few minutes, I finally have it secured around my neck. Instead of teleporting back, I decided to walk there the old fashioned way. As a Princess...dressed for her date....wearing life threatening high heels...but somehow now capable of walking on them.

When I start walking down the stairs, I see Kenta waiting down there. My parents must have asked him to wait inside. The fact that it suddenly started to rain might have also had something to do with that. Well, a bit of rain is not going to spoil our afternoon together!

I slowly walk down the stairs, making sure to have a tight grip in case I should fall, but so far things are going just fine. Step by step, I slowly walk down while blushing at Kenta's smile. 

When I finally reach the safety of the first floor, a smiling Kenta asks "are you ready, Princess?"

I couldn't suppress a giggle, I'm actually a real Princess. "Of course, my Prince."

Only now did I notice mother, standing a bit further away, barely keeping an "awwwww" inside. Father just smiled and said "alright kids, have fun." 

Well...mother's death glare made him respond with a "What? Now what did I do wrong?"

"Have a great time together, you two." Mother said in a more respectful tone of voice.

Both Kenta and I just nodded and then I followed him outside.....until we stopped for the downpour. Right, I knew I had forgotten something. I look up at the gray sky and ask "goddess....may I please....use a few skills against the rain?"

"Of course dear, have a great time." The supreme goddess no less answered my request. I made sure to thank her properly...in my mind.

7