Chapter 24: One Fairy evening
183 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Eh...Sasami, it's pouring, shouldn't we wait?" Kenta looked at my dress. 

"Nope, just wait and see. SHIELD!"  

A shield forms around the two of us and I take Kenta's hand into mine. He was surprised at first, but then gave me that wonderful smile again. We both walk to the carriage while the raindrops are just magically falling around us, like we were walking beneath a layer of glass. 

He opens the carriage door for me and offers his hand to guide me inside. My god, is this really happening? Is this a fairy tale, or reality? When we both sit down and Kenta closes the carriage door, he asks "where should we go now?"

"Ehh....how about the marketplace? There's always something nice to see there."

"Okay...driver! To the marketplace!" 

"Yes, your highness!"

 

And finally the carriage started to move. Luckily these carriages have cushions, because they don't appear to have shock absorbers. Even though these paved roads are well maintained...they're basically just that...just a bunch of bricks and rocks. 

"...Kenta?"

"Yes?"

"Is this your carriage?"

"No, I rented this one for today. My country is just too far away to arrive by carriage. But when flying here on a Buggo's back, it's not that far."

"Wow, so you flew here on a Buggo? I'd love to pet them."

"Eh...sure, we can do that, but perhaps later? My guards and our Buggos are resting at an inn now."

"Oh, of course, but why aren't your guards with you now?"

"I could ask you the same question." He smiles again.

"Mmm.....good point. Well, our Kitsune friends are very kind, so we should be safe in the city."

"Precisely. But back to those Buggos if you don't mind. You seem to like animals?"

"Oh, yes I do, very much. Well, most of them anyways. I love Furlings too."

"Fur...lings? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with them."

"Well...how should I explain?....They are a bit bigger than we are, standing on four paws. They are mostly green except for some white fur here and there, mostly on their bellies. Their tails remind me of my own. Oh, and they can fly too."

"Ahhh....those creatures, yes, I've seen them. I thought they were called Sarians."

"Huh? Must be a local thing, but they are not really animals, they have speech and even the basics of a culture going on. They like to grin a lot and scared the bejeebies out of me the first time I met one."

"Ha ha ha....the bejeebies? That's hardly a word for a Princess. But I like it!"

I blushed, looking outside.  Oh, we're nearly there.

"Kenta?"

"Ha ha ha, yes Sasami?"

"How can we ride this carriage safely with all those giant Kitsune walking around us?"

"Oh, you didn't know? We hired Kitsune guards for that. They walk in front of us and behind us. And their special uniforms show everyone that a Fairy carriage is between them, so nobody will step on us."

"Oohhh....amazing. I tried to look to the front to see those uniforms, but forgot that carriages have glass windows. "Ouch!"

"Ha ha ha, sorry. Mind the glass. Are you alright?"

I nodded while blushing heavily from embarrassment. "Yes, I'm fine." I stealthily removed a makeup stain on the glass. I checked my makeup earlier, when I put my necklace around my neck, so I should look more or less presentable.

"Don't worry, you look great." He told me. 

"Thank you.....you can read my mind?"

"Ha ha ha, no, not at all. Anyway, we seem to have arrived. Any ideas?"

"Mmm...let me see. Map please."  I noticed Kenta's expression of total bewilderment when I started pinching and zooming in. From his perspective, I was just wildly gesturing in space, but I was actually scanning my map.

"Ah, found the restaurant. It's actually very close."

"What....what were you doing? You were staring into...nothingness?"

"Huh? No no no, it's one of my skills. I can see danger in them, or find my friends. Now I used it to look for the restaurant. I guess it's a....meh....fifteen minute walk or so."

"Meh?"

"Oh....sorry, bad manners." I facepalmed.

"Ha ha ha...I love that. You really are something. Now, my dear guide, show me your city."

 

At least it stopped raining, and the sun is now really heating up the place. The area is humid and the smell of rain is still in the air. People are walking all over the place, returning from wherever they could find shelter.

"Yes, well. About that. I didn't actually grow up here. I know a few nice food stalls though?"

"Food stalls? Sounds interesting. But remember, we still have dinner to look forward to."
He helped me step outside and the carriage then left us rather quickly. Well, I can always teleport us home if need be.

"Oh, right. Sheesh....how could I forget. Then....mmmmm..." I put my index finger on my lips, trying to find something interesting to pass the time. 

"Dear, why won't you just invite him to your Spirit Realm?" The supreme goddess quickly gave me a suggestion.

"Okay, ....yes, we could do that. Let's visit the Spirit Realm."

"The WHAT?" Kenta asked with total bewilderment clearly audible in his voice.

"You know that I'm a goddess, right?" 

"Ehhhhhhh......yes?"

"That means that you can join me for a walk in the most beautiful scenery you have ever seen!"

"But is that...safe?"

"Safer than walking as a tiny Fairy between huge Kitsune? Definitely!"

"Alright...today is about getting to know each other, so please show me."

 

FLASH.

 

"Kenta, welcome to my special space, my very own sanctuary."  It seems that all guardians can create their own special Realm. Just like when I woke up, lying on the goddess's lap. That was her own personal Realm. And this one is my own. It's apparently based on one's personal experiences and preferences. And I guess I just landed in Utopia...

"Wow....THIS is the Spirit Realm?" Kenta said surprised.

"Yes, it is. But this is only a very, very tiny part of it. It borders with other worlds as well. So, it's basically endless. But what you see here is my own, very special place."

I guess my thoughts about beautiful scenery extend to my memories from Earth. We are standing on an elevated boardwalk, close to the ocean. Wow, an entire ocean fits in my sanctuary. Or perhaps it's just a 3d image, fooling me. Whatever, it's gorgeous. 

Gentle waves are approaching us, hitting the beach below the boardwalk. Seagulls make their familiar cries when they soar high in the sky in total freedom. A breeze brings the smell of the ocean, a welcome freshness to a warm summer day. Behind us I see palm trees and, why not, hammocks too. This really originated from my memories, why would there be hammocks there? But yes, it looks nice.

The sun is high in the sky, and white, fluffy clouds are passing over us. There are no signs of civilization here. 

"Is this place....a dream?" He asked.

"Yes and no. You and I are physically here now. You are not dreaming on the market place, no, you are very much really here. As am I. But being a goddess and all, means that I get to have my own special place. I was hoping you could share this place with me....when we're separated."

"You mean....we could be together, even though in reality we are not?"

"Eh....yes? As I said, we are now really here. But when you and I go to sleep, we could also join here, just like a dream....but more real.....and when you wake up.....you'll still be in bed."

"Amazing. So, is this normal for you then? I mean as a Spiritwalker?"

"No, this is for goddesses. As a Spiritwalker I could walk through these areas, yes. But this place is my own sanctuary now."

"Wow....it's really beautiful. Where is this?"

"It seems that my memories from Earth influenced this reality. But usually the Spirit Realm is inhabited, so I wonder if I'll ever see people move about this place. But that's not for now."

"So you have visited Earth as well?"

No, I won't tell him about my previous life on Earth. This is a new life, even my soul, my spirit, my essence was modified to help me live here. And besides, that life now feels so distant....I'm no longer that person. I'm me....I'm Sasami, nobody else. "Yes, I had to hunt someone there. On behalf of the deities. One thing led to another....and I ultimately became a goddess myself."

"Incredible. I have to admit....seeing what you are capable of.....I wonder if you'll be able to find happiness with me." He stared at the ocean for a moment.

"Kenta..." I said in my gentlest way. "Kenta....why wouldn't I?"

He smiled again, "I'm sorry, I'm just overwhelmed, I guess."

"And you are not the only one. Life has been....interesting for me. All I long for is a normal life. A life where someone will love me, hold me, and together visit places like this. I'm not ready to be a goddess, Kenta. Not for a very, very long time."

He took my hand into his and we then walked along the shoreline, still on the boardwalk. My god, this place is so peaceful, I'll definitely be returning here.

"Thank you for bringing me here, Sasami. Sharing your sanctuary with me. Does this mean you can teleport to my Palace too?"

"Of course. Everywhere, in the blink of an eye."

"Amazing. And...I don't know about you, but I'm getting pretty hungry. I skipped lunch today."

"Oh! You should have told me!" I put my right hand on my mouth. "We can go to the restaurant right now!"

"Are you sure? Isn't it too early for you?"

"Of course not, besides....if all goes well....we could have these dinner dates more often."

"True enough, that's what I'm hoping for. Then by all means, zap us there."

"Zap? Ha ha ha, it's more a flash, not a zap. God, I'm so happy you can accept the real me. Not the one hiding behind etiquette."

"Don't say that, you know I'm not like that. Sure, some etiquette is required, but you also need to know when to let go and be your....m.mm.mm."

That last part was when I kissed him on his lips, telling him without words that I'm happy the way he is.

"Not that I mind.....but what was that for?"

"Just a little thank you, for knowing when to let go of that royal stuff."

"I promise, I will do that a lot." He winked.

"As do I. Ready to return?"

"Yes, I'm pretty curious about that restaurant your parents recommended."

"Me too. Hold on..."  FLASH.

 

And not even a second later, we were back, really close to the restaurant. Because why walk on heels if you can teleport to their front door, right? 

He lets me put my right arm around his left, making us look like a couple. I can't believe it, this is really real! We slowly walk towards the door. I guess mother has reminded him about my clumsiness regarding high heels...

"Huh, it's dark already?" Kenta only now noticed the passing of time.

"Yes, walking around in the Spirit Realm will do that sometimes. I haven't figured out that part yet."

But he couldn't reply because a gentleman in front of the restaurant just asked us "Good evening, sir, madam. Do you have reservations?"

I know Kenta wants to answer, but I beat him to it. "Yes, there should be a reservation for Princess Ebisawa Sasami and her guest." I still have to get used to my last name....Ebisawa. And the people around here mention their last name first in formal introductions.

"Oh, your highness, I apologize for not recognizing you. Is this your first visit to our establishment?"

"Indeed, it is, and there is no need to apologize. May we enter?"

He looks on a paper list, folded into his jacket. "I have your names here, yes. But I must apologize again. People try to enter here under false names. I'm really sorry, but would you perhaps have a way to show you are.....Royalty?"

"Of course." I carefully took the heart on my necklace and showed him the engraved crest.

"I see, that is more than enough. I apologize once more and hope you have a very pleasant evening." He opens the door for us, gesturing something mysterious to another staff member and lets us enter the restaurant...first me, then Kenta. 

"Mmm.....definitely classy. Your parents have taste." He whispered to me.

I returned the whisper, but I had to stand on my toes to reach his ears. "You meant...mother, I feel father has no say in these matters."

I could see his grin, but before he could reply, another staff member walked over to us. "Good evening, your majesties. Please, would you follow me?"

We follow the good man all the way through the restaurant, between dining customers, and I'm having difficulties not staring back at them. It's also warm here, but nothing I can't handle.

There are many expensive looking carpents on the floor, one underneath each table. All tables have a lit candle on them and a tiny vase with a single flower. Beautiful chandeliers provide plenty of light for the diners.

The smell of steamed vegetables is in the air, causing Kenta's stomach to rumble. He tried to hide it, but I noticed it, barely avoiding giggling.

A few large but beautiful paintings of landscapes adorn the walls between the windows.

We are guided to a separate dining room where a door provides us with some privacy. Well, it's more like a meeting room in size, but here we are, just the two of us. 

"Kenta...I'm afraid this is a bit too much for me," I whispered.

"I know, Sasami...same here. But trust me, you'll get used to it."

"We should have dressed like...eh....commoners? Is that the word? Anyway, just some hamburgers, fries, a coke....maybe a movie...that would be even better."

"Honestly, I didn't understand a single word. Except for commoners, and yes, that's the polite term."

"Okay....and nevermind...I was just daydreaming." 

Our view outside shows the mountain in the distance, but I can't see it very well. There's still moonlight, but the bright lights in here make it difficult to see outside. This room is not near the street, so nobody will look inside while we eat.

Kenta didn't reply to my remark, but was instead studying the menu.

 

I study the other menu but don't seem to recognize a single name. Menu entries like "Breaded Iron Boa, Bunyip Bread, Fire-Grilled Cave Tamarin, Bugbear Pie, Tenderized Sun Argali," all didn't make sense to me. And the drinks didn't make sense either, "Icy Tremor, Sticky Starlight, Lagoon Tea," just a bunch of nonsense to me. And of course not a single picture to be found anywhere.

"Sasami, would you like me to order for the both of us?"

"Oh, yes please. I'd love some tea, but my stomach isn't ready for a feast. Something modest will do fine."

"Alright, how about we both have ....a Wild Tea, and share a Bugbear Pie? They are usually pretty big, but I'm sure we can feast on that to...geth...er...what's wrong?"

"Why the Wild Tea? Is that because I'm a Wild Fairy?"

"Huh? Oh! No no no!" He's wildly gesturing, trying to apologize. But I smile instead. 

"You were just joking, right? My god, Sasami, you could have fooled me. No, Wild Tea is just a common herbal tea. I'm surprised you don't recognize it?"

"You'll be surprised many times, trust me. I already told you I'm not from this city."

"Right, I keep forgetting. You make a rather sophisticated impression, nothing Wild."

"Thank you, but flattering doesn't work......much....." I winked.

"Oh, so there's still hope for me?"

"There is...a bit."  I smiled, making sure he didn't misunderstand the joke. My arms are resting on the table, my hands folded, a nice landing spot for my chin. After smiling at him like that for a few moments, I sat back, more ladylike.

A lit candle is giving us some ambience, but the golden cutlery is a bit much. Beautiful curtains with flower patterns decorate the area immediately next to the windows.

 

 

Dinner was special.....the delicious pie was truly large enough for the both of us. It was more like a pie with baked potatoes and vegetables inside, a strange combination, but still delicious. And most importantly, I still feel that wonderful connection to him......I want this to continue.

"Kenta, may I ask something silly?"

"Ha ha, sure!"

"Do your servants, like.....bathe you?"

"Eh...yeah? Of course? Isn't that the same in your Palace?"

"It is actually....but I don't like that at all. I'm perfectly able to care for myself. Would you expect....the same from me?" 

"Well...it's actually supposed to be like that.....but if you really don't like...."

"Really? Thanks! I mean Celeste is great, but.....I still like to bathe myself."

"Ha ha ha, I can't believe you are so serious about bathing. But alright, it's perfectly fine with me."

 

After enjoying dessert, an amazingly tasting chocolate pudding, I dared to ask him more questions.
"Kenta? Are those Dragonkin.....anything like our Kitsune?"

"Well, yes, no. They are temperamental, but always polite. Not furry at all, oh, and their young hatch from eggs. Many of my subjects work in their nurseries, because we can handle their newborns pretty well. Until they grow too large, like after a few days."

"Mmm....now that's interesting! You seem to know a lot about those nurseries?"

"Of course, it's my duty to know after I lost my parents. My staff occasionally helps out, so it's only natural that I know what's expected of them. The Dragonkin return many favors, like helping with construction, or providing food. Their big hands can pick lots of fruit and vegetables, which would take us a long time. So it's a rather interwoven society, we simply help each other so we both benefit."

"Oh... and I'm sorry. I didn't know about your parents." I looked apologetic, he could hear my sincerity in my voice.

"Please, let's not talk about that now. I don't want to ruin our evening together. Especially since it took me this long to get you here."

"Mmm.....yes, you sure did."

"Huh? What's that supposed to mean? Are you...disappointed?" He knows I'm just teasing him. 

"No, Kenta. Just teasing....I do that a lot."  I'm smiling and pretend to ignore that he just put his hands on mine.

"Really? Haven't noticed at all."

 

But then, suddenly, people are shouting in the restaurant, clearly audible, even from within our closed room.

"Aaaaaah!!!  HEEELP!!    Noooo!  Guards!!!"   All these kinds of shouts told us something terrible was going on.

We look at each other, then stand up and rush to the door. Kenta slowly opens it and we carefully see what's going on.

I see a man in uniform walking through the restaurant, using a sword to wipe all dinner plates from the tables. I can hear the plates and drinking glasses shatter on the floor.

Near the entrance door I see two people lying on the floor and all guests are standing near the walls, trying to make themselves as invisible as possible.

"Come out, come out wherever you are! Where are you, you wild animal?" The man shouts.....but then his eyes lock on to mine.......and I just know that he's after me. "AAH! There you are!"

"General Takumi! What the hell are you doing here?" Kenta shouts. He gently but still firmly pushes me aside so he can address the intruder.

"Prince Kenta! Finally! Please, step back! That woman is scheming against you! I'm here to protect you, your highness!"

Kenta looks at me and must recognize my confused expression. Why would I be scheming against him?

"WHAT? Are you insane? What evidence do you have?" Kenta replies.

Both of them walk closer to each other, until Kenta notices the blood on the General's sword.

"General! Why....whose blood is that?"

"Oh, this? The guards wouldn't let me in! My duty is to protect you!" The General replied matter of factly.

 

Only now am I able to connect the dots....those people lying on the floor.....he used his sword..on them. From across the room I look at them, while people are trying to drag the victims away, and shout while pointing at them "divine healing!" A gentle warm glow shows me that they were really healed. That was close...too close.

Suddenly I hear people shouting....no.....pleading for help. I look around me, but only see Kenta talk to the General. All other guests have left the restaurant when the General was distracted, so where are these voices coming from?

It hurts! It hurts so incredibly much! I hear all kinds of things like these: "Please, goddess. Stop that maniac."  "Mercy, please show mercy!"  "Goddess, please intervene!" "We need you, goddess, please there are still people inside!"   "Oh goddess, thank you for healing my husband! I will light a candle tonight!"  "Goddess, what should I do? It's my first day as a guard! I don't want to die!"

I threw myself flat on the floor, prostrating from pain, pushing my ears flat, but that didn't work at all. The sounds....they're coming from inside my mind! Are these...prayers? I can only think of one thing: "Supreme goddess! Please help me! I can't bear this anymore!"

I then see a soft glow around my hands....and it's suddenly very quiet again.....not even a single prayer reaches me anymore. And believe me, I thanked her immediately!

Kenta hadn't noticed that I was incapacitated, and I managed to stand up again.

"Just look at her! She's an evil incarnate. Nothing more than an evil forest dweller. We have traced her movements back to a nearby Clan. Soon......her Clan shall be no more!" The General points at me while showing a disgusting grin.

"Noooooo!"  I shout so loud that the people outside must have heard it as well. "Kenta!!!!"

Kenta glances at me, but then keeps focused on the general. "Calm, Sasami....I'm on your side."

"You will not harm her, General. Cease this hostility and show me your evidence at once!"

I quickly checked my map......and it's just filled with red dots. They're moving this way...all of them. Great, here we go again. And I also need to go to my Clan, soon! But I can't let Kenta stay here with this idiot!

"Your majesty, I demand revenge. You want evidence? Fine. That woman over there, yes, you, you filthy forest dweller, it's your fault the Goblins keep attacking us."

He noticed my surprised expression. "Yes.....how can I possibly know that? Surprised? Let's say I had some help from above. The Goblin god descended from the heavens and he told me himself! And we could verify everything he told me."

"But he's dead!" I shouted at the General.

The General steps forward but I see Kenta block his path. 
"Your majesty, PLEASE, I need to protect you. Please step aside."  Then he looks at me again. Our god is eternal! A deity cannot die! Goblins are kind creatures, but YOU! YOU made them hate us!"

Kenta wanted to reason with him, but I saw the General draw his sword.....and I'm the one he was targeting. "Shock!" 

"AAhh!!!"  The General fell down, like he was electrocuted. My upgraded skill is working nicely.

"Kenta...step back. I'll take over from here." I say in a very serious tone of voice.

"But...."

"No....do it Kenta!" I know I sounded disrespectful to the one I love....but this is about survival. And Kenta immediately stepped back.

The General however stands up, and I zap him again. "AAAAh! You filthy witch!"

"Okay, I have had enough of this. Blitz!" BAM!  A lightning strike just hit the General, but in the most peculiar way you have ever seen. It happened within a fraction of a second, but the lightning struck outside, then arched into this restaurant, hitting the General at perfect precision. The thunder was less pleasant, but I used my healing skill immediately after. I also healed the General. "Divine healing!"

"Aaaaaa.......by the gods.....what was that?" The general moans. His uniform is mostly black from the strike, but he's as ungrateful as they come.

"You were hit by lightning, General, and then healed. If you touch that sword again, I promise I'll repeat, but without the healing part."

"You truly are evil! Sire! That's your evidence!"

"Stand down General. You are under my command, and shall comply."

"But...."

"Stand down NOW!"

"Yes, Sire, as you demand."  And the General indeed surrendered, not touching his sword again. I guess he doesn't want to die after all.

"Guards! Enter! It's safe now!" I shout and I immediately see two guards rushing inside. "There! Hold that one for questioning, and only release him if Prince Kenta allows it." I pointed at the General, then Kenta. 

Only then did I notice the fear in Kenta's eyes. Not the fear of dying, or the fear of his General who he seems to have known pretty well. It's worse.....his fear is directed at me. But I can't think of this at the moment.

The guards removed the General from this restaurant and I walked towards the exit, only then turning around. "Kenta. Please, stay here. Thousands of Goblins are about to attack this city. I....I have no choice. I have to fulfill my divine duties....if the gods will allow it. Otherwise....we'll die." 

Even though I can't die as a goddess.....dying as a Fairy is still very much possible. It would mean I have to be a goddess from then on, completely giving up on being a Fairy.

I saw Kenta move closer, but he stopped and just nodded once. So he still trusts me? Good.

I walk outside and see many people gathered there. They are probably trying to understand what had just happened inside the restaurant. They're looking at me, probably believing that I have all the answers, but I choose to ignore them.

No one even knows about the approaching Goblin army yet. Somehow the General must be responsible for this, but that's up to the guards to figure out.

My map now shows that the Goblins are very, very close. This is it...we'll see what's about to happen when I attack. If the gods don't approve....my days as a goddess might come to an end. 

My wings start glowing, first pink, then a very bright white. 
People around me say things like "Oohhhh!!!" and "Mommy...is she a goddess?" 

I ignore all of this and start hovering so I can have a better look around me. I already see a few Goblins in the distance...no, make that dozens.

I shout as loud as I can "everyone! I am a goddess. Run to your homes and pray for safety. Thousands of Goblins are about to attack us. I shall do everything I can to protect you. NOW RUN!!!"

And as soon as I had finished my sentence, people just ran for their lives.

Finally...there they are. We're surrounded. Thousands of them....all around us. This is beyond one's worst nightmare, this is game over for us.

I now shout with divine amplification. "To all Goblins...By divine order. HALT."

But they just keep marching this way. "If you continue, I SHALL take your lives. This is your FINAL warning!" 
I guess they don't respond well to verbal threats. 

My wings are lighting up the place like the rays of the sun, I see them clearly pointing their hands at me.....I know what they are about to do.....darts!

"Shield!" I shout, and not a moment too soon. A bright yellow shield extends around the city center, all the way until where the Goblins are. 
Thousands and thousands of darts and spears, arrows too are heading this way....but not a single one makes it into the city center.

The shield protects the people behind me. But what about the ones near those Goblins? I have to act now, or all is too late. And there you have it....bright flashes of light show that Fairies are dying...many, many Fairies are dying right now. I can't take it anymore.

An anger, like I have never felt before, starts to surge inside of me. I raise my right hand, ready to wipe them out. And right before I want to summon "divine retribution" a FLASH appears right before me. 

It's the supreme goddess! "STOP SASAMI. Stop at once!" She commands.

There is no reason to doubt her, she has never deceived me before. I MUST trust her now, even though it might be the end of this kingdom. All these lives....are now in her hands.

I slowly land, lower my hands and then deeply bow to her for a moment. "Yes, supreme goddess. As you command." My wings stop glowing and the shield seems to vanish as well.

But for some reason their weapons still don't make it to us.

Now it's her turn to shout. "GOBLINS! Your days on Tallara have ended. You shall now be relocated to another world. SO BE IT!"

The brightest flash ever just swept through the streets.....removing every single red dot on my map.

"It is done!" She shouts. Then she pats me on the shoulder. "People of this city, rejoice!!! You are safe!"

A loud cheering could be heard all around us, apparently not everyone was wise enough to make a run for it.

She says to me "very well done, dear. Holding back is not easy, is it?"

"No supreme goddess, it wasn't."

She smiles, ignoring the cheering around us as I do. "It seems you were able to resist the temptation. So...for your continued good work....expect something nice soon."

"Something nice? Yes, goddess." I started crying, the adrenaline just has to leave my body one way or another....and it seems crying is the way.

FLASH, she was gone. Just like that.

Kenta then rushes over to me, first not sure if he even should touch me, but then he did. He first touched my shoulder....then my arms......and then pulled me into a hug. "I apologize, Sasami. He will be punished for his actions. This man has no place in my military."

"<sniff>  no, Kenta. He was right about one thing. You see...I really am the reason why the Goblins attacked us. Not by choice, but indirectly. First the guardian of the Fairies.....and then the guardian of the Goblins. They conspired against Fairies, against me....against Earth....and somehow the Goblins must have learned about their deaths. Their deity....I had to terminate him. That's why they keep attacking. Earth's deity moved all Goblins to our world.....it was only a matter of time before they started attacking us. The General somehow must have lured them here today.

I...no, please wait, Kenta. I need to tell you this.

I guess....I'm really not fit for you. As you can clearly see...wherever I go....misery follows. I've cried more in the last few weeks than I have ever before." My tears are a never ending Niagara falls, so that's why Kenta must have released the hug. He's looking into my eyes, probably very red from crying.

"Perhaps I should just....go...    I'm sorry....I really love you. But as you can clearly see.....I don't belong at your side. It's too dangerous for you. This time it's final. This is goodbye."  I give him a peck on his cheek and leave him in a FLASH.

 

I return to my Clan, or what's left of it by now. There are still many red dots in this area, but how is that even possible? There shouldn't be any Goblins anymore, anywhere?

"Map, hide the Goblins on the map." But the red dots remained, so they really aren't Goblins. Let's see how amazing my map is. "Identify the red dots." 

And small name tags appeared everywhere on the map. Tags like "Rogue soldier lv5,"  or "Rogue commander, lv12"  appeared.

"Okay, now zoom out so I can see Kenta's country. Perfect. Now select the red dots....and....teleport them to Kenta's country NOW!"

All around me I see white flashes, indicating teleport activity. My map is suddenly void of any red dots. 
"Wow, that went...surprisingly well for a change."

I teleport to my Clan's location and look around. My wings are brightly lit again, I didn't ask them this time, so something must have triggered the process. But that's something to ask the goddess sometime, not now.

I see people running my way.  "Sasami!  Is that you?"

I recognize Nora's voice and see her trying to look at me, shielding her eyes from the bright light. I land and take a deep breath, my wings stop glowing. "Yes, Nora. It's me. It's over."

She runs over to me and hugs me tightly. "Thank you! We knew you wouldn't abandon us!"

"You're right, Nora. I would never. Tell me.....is everyone safe?"

"Yes! Everyone is safe and accounted for. You made it just in time! Those soldiers were heavily armed, not a single of our arrows hit them."

"I know. But it's over now." I sounded monotonous...like I didn't care anymore.

"Sasami......are you crying?"

"Yes, Nora. I can't do this anymore. I....I am a goddess now. I heard the cries of people praying....it hurt so much. How can I ever find peace here again? <sniff>."

"Please, let us talk around the fire. We're here for you. Always."

"I know....Nora. And I love you people. Always will. But I can't. I just have to go. I need some time alone."

I hear Blaze's voice approaching. "You may be a goddess, but you don't have to carry the burden alone. You are family to us. To us, you'll always be Sasami." 

"Thank you Blaze, Nora. I'll be back someday. But I need some time. Please, stay safe."

I saw them nod in the moonlight, and then teleported back to the Palace, to my bedroom.

 

FLASH

 

"AAAAAAahhhhhhh!"  And again I managed to scare one of the maids. What the heck are they even doing here all the time?

"I'm sorry. But please leave me." I said in a serious tone.

The maid nods and immediately runs away, probably recognizing the urgency in my voice.

Great, I'm finally alone. I run to the balcony and much to my dismay learn the hard way, that the doors are closed.

"OOUCH! What the heck? What's wrong with you people? Leave them open!" I shouted to no one in particular, while massaging the newly formed bump on my forehead.

And because I'm so frustrated, it takes me longer to open the doors, but finally manage to do so.

Once I made it to the balcony, I let all my tears flow. Let me tell you, if there's a single Goblin left on this planet, he will now be the most cursed Goblin ever. I must have used every swear word known to mankind, cursing loud enough to make even seasoned pirates blush. It was unbecoming of a lady, but for the moment, I couldn't care any less. I needed to vent. And that I did.

Then I hear the familiar sounds of high heels in the corridor. That's mother. The maid must have squealed on me.

"My oh my.......Sasami...what awful words for a lady to use. I take it you've had a bad evening?" She joins me on the balcony and sees that I've been crying.

"I'm sorry, Mother. You've heard me?"

"Heard you? Yes, everyone in the Palace and probably in the streets could hear you."

"Oh.....I'm really sorry. You see, we've had a wonderful evening...until we were attacked."

"WHAT? Tell me more!" She demands.

"Huh? You didn't know?"

"No, only you were there, Sasami, none of us were. Your father is being briefed by our royal guards as we speak."

"Ah...that makes sense. Well...one of his Generals entered the restaurant. An impressive restaurant by the way."

"Sasami..you are killing me. Tell me what happened."

"Oh, right. He used his sword to injure the guests, then blamed me for the Goblin attacks. I zapped him and healed him so the guards could take him away. Only then were we surrounded by thousands of Goblins. I'm serious....literally thousands. The supreme goddess appeared before me, just when I wanted to get rid of all Goblins once and for all. But she found another solution...she banished all Goblins everywhere to yet another world."

"So..."

"No, there's more, mother."

"Are you serious?"

"Very serious. Then his people attacked my Clan. I had to use my goddess skills to transport them back to Kenta's country. You see....I learned that wherever I go....I bring misery. And misery follows me wherever I go. It's a never ending vicious cycle of misery, and I'm trapped right in the middle of it." I'm sure I'm appearing very upset right now.

"Awwww, honey......"

"No mom....I can't stand this anymore. This life, royalty...why is everyone against me? Am I really forced to be a goddess? Can't I even have a normal life? You have no idea how it was to feel the NEED to protect people, I just HAD to. I heard their cries, their prayers....IN MY MIND! How can I ignore them? Their sorrows? How can I live with that kind of burden in my mind? It hurt so much! And now I don't dare see Kenta anymore....he looked at me with FEAR in his eyes, mother! And with my luck, he'll probably end up dead sooner rather than later, just because I am near him." I'm crying again.

She puts her hand on my shoulder for a moment. "Sasami....there is no way for me to understand what you are going through......but know this. We still love you. I'm sorry you had to experience it, especially after all you went through. Perhaps you're right and it just wasn't meant to be. Go...sleep....tomorrow will be better. Whatever you will decide then.....it will be your decision and we will support you."

"T....thanks mom..."

"Anytime. Now get some sleep and ask Celeste if you wish to see me."

"Yes, mother. Thank you."

 

I decided to teleport to my sanctuary in the Spirit Realm and continued to curse louder than any lady should have, until I finally felt myself getting calmer. The sea has a calming effect on me, and only now that I have calmed down, I notice that time passes here as well. It's night time now, and the starry sky is only disturbed by a few clouds gently drifting over. A lone seagull draws my attention in the sky, but then quickly leaves me.

I take a few deep breaths and apologize to whoever is here to listen to me. "I'm sorry if I sound ungrateful....but it has been too much. Almost nonstop one situation after the other. No wonder I long to return to my Clan. Just....live and be happy. No wars, no complicated society, no duties other than to the Clan. Heck, even Mooseback looks relaxed. I'm sorry, okay? And supreme goddess.....if you're listening....thank you for intervening. I almost lost it back there. Sorry, okay?"

A shooting star makes its way across the heavens, making me smile. I'll take that as a "don't worry Sasami, just finally shut up." Even though she would never say such a horrible thing. "<yawn>....I'm going to sleep." Wait a minute.......I'm supposed to be a goddess.....so why do I even need to sleep?

"Because you are still young." 

"Ahh! Oh, sorry, you startled me." The supreme goddess decided to see me in person after all.

"I know, and I accept your apology. I understand how you feel given the circumstances, but to be honest....you actually did great."

"I did?"

"Ha ha ha, yes you did. But you still need your rest and once you're ready, sleep won't be a requirement anymore. Unless you wish to sleep of course. But let's leave that for another time, okay?"

"Yeah....it's been too much lately."

"Yes, it has been a burden no woman should carry on her own."

"Eh....what's that supposed to mean?"

"Exactly what you think it does. Your sanctuary is amazing as well....the calm ocean. I prefer a forest myself, but this is nice too. But sharing it with someone you love makes it even better."

"Yeah....about that."

"I know, I know. Now follow your mother's advice...and go get some sleep. And I have to agree with her...it's your decision."

"Mmmm.....yes, I will hit the sack soon."

"Mind your language, dear. Oh, and that includes rolling your eyes, ha ha ha. Anyway, I'll promise you this....you will have time to live your life from now on. Occasionally some goddess duties, but nothing like you had to endure up to now. To borrow a phrase from Earth....from now on it's smooth sailing for you. At least for a long while, considering the lifespan of a goddess cannot be measured in years."

"Thank you for cheering me up. I really needed that."

She hugged me and said "I know, dear. Now get some sleep, everyone is worried about you. It's time for you to finally relax. See you sometime, out there, somewhere."  She pointed at the horizon and then left me in a FLASH.

 

 

After teleporting back onto the balcony, hoping to avoid scaring yet another maid, I entered my bedroom. The bedroom door is closed and it seems that Celeste has left me some comfort food again. Another slice of cake, covered by a thin cloth. But I'm still full from that dinner we had. WE?......I guess that's no longer applicable. But not now, Sasami...not now.

Oh, there's a note too. "I'm sorry for what happened, Sasami. Chocolate cake always helps me feel better when I feel down....so please get well soon. If you need to talk....I'm there for you...anytime."

Awwww, she's really kind, isn't she? I guess mom told her what had happened. Oh, and they have chocolate here too? That's a big plus for this world. But again...not now.

"What's that?" I said to no one in particular. I walk over to my bed and find a plushie on it, placed against my pillow.

It also came with a note, "I noticed you love talking about those fur things, so I asked mother for a plushie resembling one. May it keep you safe. Melody.   P.S. oh..and thanks for returning my favorite one."

Awww....I guess I should stop complaining....people really are nice to me. Perhaps it was just the adrenaline talking earlier.....alright, time to sleep.

 

I change into my nightie and hang my dress over a chair. I no longer have any issues removing the dress or corset anymore. But getting dressed....well...that's a whole other topic. My shoes are standing next to the door, as far away as possible. Those are definitely not my friends, but I have to admit....at some point I didn't even notice wearing them anymore.

The bed looks comfy now that a plushie is waiting for me to cuddle it. It was a kind gesture from Melody, but I'm a bit too old for that. My eyes scan the floor and I see the spot where I slept before, when I just arrived in the Palace for the first time. I remember when Celeste spoke to me when I first woke up.....the moments where I zapped her by accident. I couldn't suppress a giggle, those were the times. Hopefully I can really have some fun now, instead of having to wipe out Goblins or protect people from falling moons. It's still there, by the way....broken, but at its rightful place in the heavens...peacefully as if nothing had happened in the first place.

I walk over to a cabinet and pull out a few blankets and spread them out on the floor. I don't care anymore....Sasami is going primal tonight....no beds, no baths, no etiquette...just simple and plain Sasami. Call me whatever you wish, but I'm still a Wild Fairy, and wild I shall be. I'm going into airplane mode and don't care about anything anymore until I decide that my battery has been fully recharged, not anytime sooner.

A fluffy towel now acts as my make-shift pillow and the blankets feel like the Buggo's nest. Comfy, but not too warm, considering it's still summer. And the open balcony doors are my connection to nature....fresh air enters the room without chilling me due to my protective layer of blankets. This is perfect....this is heaven.

No, wait...one thing is still missing. My tail knows that it's needed and finds its way to my face. What's better than that? Right....two tails! Just the thought of that made the other one manifest, and it too found its way to my face. My god...this is truly heaven. Fluffy furry cuddly heaven filled with all the fluff one needs. I take one tail and fluff it as a plushie...I surrender....I like plushies. And on that thought, my ears flattened on my head and I fell asleep....peacefully. No Spirit Realm, no difficult things to ponder....just....isekai fluffy heaven.

5