Chapter 25: How to Mend a Broken Fairy
185 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning I woke up from hearing voices. No, not those that you shouldn't be hearing, but the voices of Celeste and mother. My ears decided on their own to move and scan the room for the location of the sound....finding it behind the still closed bedroom door.

"...her sleep all day long." Mother demanded.

"Yes, your majesty, but she has already missed breakfast. Should I bring her something?"

"No, once more, she's not to be disturbed."

"I understand. I won't disturb her..."    

I couldn't hear the rest as they continued their conversation further down the corridor. How was I even able to hear them?

"Goddess skills." Was the instant reply I got. I softly giggled and just kept my eyes closed.

Sure, I'm awake now, and it seems I've already missed breakfast. And the now rising sun won't let me sleep in.
"<sigh> aaaaaaaah." I stretched like a dog until I felt ready for the new day.

 

KNOCK KNOCK   ".....Ahem...." A very familiar voice just tried to get my attention after knocking on my balcony doors. Wait, what?

 

I stand up, slide the curtains to the sides and "Eeek!"  Kenta is there, he startled me! 
But it's not him who startled me, he's sitting on his flying Buggo....and that duck looked me directly in my eyes.

Kenta glanced at my nightie and then turned his eyes away to his left. 
"Wow...eh......Sasami...you...eh...."

Of course I'm now fully awake and also aware that I'm still wearing my nightie....more or less, considering I wasn't actually wearing it completely how I should have due to me just waking up. I quickly rush into my bedroom and find my bathrobe. It will protect me from his gazes but not from my blushes.

"Eh....sorry, Kenta. Wait, why am I even apologizing? This is my bedroom!"

"Yes, I'm sorry for that, but I've been trying to talk to you since yesterday evening....nobody would let me near you.....so I figured I tried the old fashioned way."

"The old........you...you really are persistent, aren't you?"

"Of course. But only because I love you." He jumped onto the balcony and the Buggo found a nice landing spot in our gardens. I'm sure mother will be pleased....not.

He then kneels....while still on the balcony. Luckily this balcony is quite spacious or this would be a rather awkward scene by now.

"Please forgive me, I promise to clean my military forces. You can inspect them yourself if you wish. If nothing else can convince you of my love for you, then perhaps this. Sasami, I love you with all my heart. Please, will you give me another chance?"

"Eeeeeeeh?" I also kneel, now weaving our fingers until our hands seem to be glued together. 
Fresh tears start to leave my eyes. "I can't...and you know it, Kenta.  We.....our lives......are not compatible."

"Please hear me out, okay?"

"Ehhh....okay?"

"Thank you, Sasami. I'm here to offer a compromise."

"Oh no you don't. Compromising? You can't compromise on love!"

"No no, I meant....ahhh! How am I supposed to tell you? I practiced a million times in my mind, but I can't find the words when I need them!" 

That made me smile, but only for a moment. "Take your time, Kenta, I'm not your enemy."

"That....that's already something. I....I......I.." Kenta can't seem to find the right words.

"Just make small words," I said while smiling.

He returns the smile and says "I love that smile."

Without telling him I teleport the two of us into the garden, next to a very innocently looking Buggo. 
Kenta blinked twice and then realized what had just happened.

"Sorry....forgot to tell you."  I apologized for teleporting.

Oops...the Buggo just ate a few flowers....great....more work for Whirl.

"Eh....I'm sorry about that." He noticed me looking at the still eating duck. 

"Yeah....don't. Let it eat."

"Oh...okay." He shakes his head to focus his attention on me again. "Right....eh.....I was going to say.....you are the reason I live. I really want you in my life. I love you. Let's compromise: I will give up my title as Prince, heir to the throne, if it means that we can be together. Wherever you want. Even in a forest if that's what you really want."

We're still kneeling and holding hands by the way.

I blink a few times and let the gravity of his words sink in. He really, really loves me? 
"You....you....you...?"

He replies with a smile, "small words....just use small words."

"You would do that for me? I mean....really? You really still love me? After what I did? I saw fear in your eyes....fear of me. I never actually stopped loving you. No matter how much I hated what happened yesterday. But what you just said.....is more like a sacrifice than a compromise."

"And I never stopped loving you, Sasami. It was no fear for who you are, but fear of what would happen to you."

 

FLASH.  Suddenly the supreme goddess appears before us while we're still kneeling.

"Rise my friends, you don't have to kneel before me, ha ha ha, just kidding. Honestly, I don't think I have ever witnessed people compromising about love before. And I've been around for some time, let me tell you that. So let me be blunt and tell you: the both of you were meant to be together. Sasami, a prince is a prince. And well..prince.....Sasami is Sasami. How to make this work? By divine intervention." She smiled...she's up to something.

FLASH....another goddess just appeared. Arhena, guardian of us Fairies.

"Hello my friends and sorry to barge in on you like this. But she and I discussed...eh...the both of you.....and I realized that I have to apologize a bit. You see...I'm actually the main reason why Sasami's heart is reluctant to accept your love and life in a Palace, Kenta. The bond with her Clan is so strong that even removing it by the gods didn't completely remove it.

Even misunderstanding how you felt about her, was enough to make her doubt whether she shouldn't just join her Clan again. It happens frequently to her, over and over again....until her heart can decide where her true home is." She winks at Kenta. "On my very first day as guardian of all Fairies, I had encouraged her to find a connection with nature, like all Wild Fairies should have. But I made that connection too strong. Way too strong, and you two are suffering because of that, so it seems that apologizing is today's theme....I'm also truly sorry. 

She had to leave her Clan so events could be set into motion that would enable her to bring balance to this world. So she moved into this Palace."

She took a deep breath and continued. "And....then things happened. Anyway...living in a Palace won't take that connection away. Even though Sasami thinks this is about not understanding etiquette or not being able to be a proper Princess or even a Queen.....it's really about her subconscious bond with her Clan. It really is that strong, even today.

So...Kenta.....tell her what you truly wanted to ask her. The words you practiced a million times but were afraid to ask."

He nods at her, then looks at me. "Eh....Sasami. I really do love you. From the moment we danced.....I knew....you are the one. Please, will you marry me?"

"Waaaaaa?"  I'm lost for words. 

The supreme goddess now took over. "Kenta, please understand that Sasami is having trouble understanding. Sasami, you have two goddesses right here, basically begging you to say "yes." Think about it.....you can live in his Palace and still visit the Spirit Realm whenever you want. Come visit us and have a coffee. Go sightseeing. Go to your Clan and be a Priestess now and then. And once you feel up to it, you can even teleport to the bunny.....people.... oops....shouldn't have spoiled that. Anyway....nobody can stop you, my Spiritwalker. ....Just say yes already!"

Now my tears have turned into happy tears. I understand....this is right. This is how life should have been from day one. To find someone who'll accept me...as....the simple and plain Sasami who I actually am. 
"Eh.....YES! YES, I love you too...from...from the moment we met! I will marry you!" 

Kenta then just hugged me, no, almost squeezed me to death while I'm still wearing my bathrobe. Then he released the hug and kissed me.

Oh, did I already mention that some Kitsune were staring at us? I feel like we're performing a play here...but this is real alright.

Both goddesses smile and the supreme goddess says "Alright you two, took you long enough. Now be happy, that's an order. See you soon, Sasami."  FLASH, and they left us alone....with the still flower eating Buggo.

The Buggo looks at me, and I can hear him say "What? I'm hungry..."  So I do what I do best....I shrug. 

 

"AAAAHHHH! Congratulations!" Both Kenta and I stand up and see father, mother, Melody and Celeste with a big smile. We were pulled into a group hug before we realized it. I guess the Kitsune weren't the only ones watching.

After everyone's feelings had calmed down a bit, they left us alone for a while. Only my mother remained near us, wanting to speak to Kenta, but she didn't get the chance.

"So hungryyyyyy." The Buggo said.

"Eh...mother....he said he's very, very hungry. May I please feed him?"

"Sasami....I don't mind that, but....did you know you're standing in the gardens dressed in basically....a bathrobe?"

"Yeah? I'm wearing my nightie under this, so it's not like I'm naked?"

She just facepalmed. One of the few mannerisms the royal family quickly learned from me.

"Oops...sorry mother. I will work on my manners."

She just gave me a quick hug. "See that you do, dear. But it's okay. We're family first, royalty second."

I looked at her with total amazement, but she replied before I could. "Didn't expect me to say that, now did you?"

I just shook my head.

"Now let's feed that Buggo, I can't stand the quacking anymore."

When we arrived at the stables, I opened the door and found my friends waiting inside. Mother Buggo and her now even larger ducklings. Man, they grow fast.

"Hi Mother." I said to the mother Buggo.

She replied with "Sasami! My child! We are so happy to see you!"

"Yes, I really missed you too. Sorry, but things kept pulling me away from you. Your little ones have grown!"

"Yes, look at them!"

"I know, they're so cute!" 

 

Kenta looks at me with amazement. "You really are amazing, Sasami...speaking to animals."

"You get used to it, I promise." Mother said with a smile.

"Just promise me not to speak to the meat on my dinner plate." Kenta said jokingly.

"What? You eat Buggos?" I said to Kenta.

At that exact moment, all Buggos including his own, look at Kenta with total surprise.

Mother Buggo runs over to me and seems to want to protect me from Kenta. His Buggo does the same, pushing Kenta to the floor.

From his spot on the floor Kenta shouts "no no no, I promise!  I would NEVER eat you. NEVER. I love Buggos!"

His Buggo then nudged him, showing he understood what he had said, and Kenta carefully stood up.

"It seems he believes you....and so do I." I said with a smile. 

"By the gods. See, Kenta? There's always something going on in the Palace when Sasami is around. Ha ha ha. 
Now, Sasami.....please get dressed and.....definitely bathed so you can join us for tea."

"Eh.... yes mother. I'll teleport to my room in a while."

Kenta looks at me, still protected by mother Buggo who I'm petting gently. "Will you be fine?"

"Sure, I promise! Oh....and don't forget I still need to bathe....so....it might take a while."

He smiles, winks and simply says "Okay....take your time.....my love." He gave me a peck on the cheek and left me alone so I could feed his hungry Buggo.

 

 

After bathing and getting dressed....with the usual help from Celeste, I joined everyone for tea. But not before stealthily eating the chocolate cake...because I was simply famished.

We enjoyed some casual family time until, after lunch, Kenta apologized for having to leave. He still has responsibilities at home, and needs to figure out how to manage his army in a better way. He made sure that he would take care of any remaining rogue soldiers...to avoid what had happened yesterday. We saw him depart on his Buggo, escorted by his personal guards on more Buggos. Somehow they reminded me of corporate private jets...those ducks. But then more like...Flintstone -style. 

 

When father returned to his duties in the Palace, and Melody to her tutoring sessions, mother remained outside with me for a while.

"You're only 16 and already engaged to a Prince. My oh my."

"Oh....right......the age for that...is that even okay?"

"Yes, honey. 16 is the legal age when you may get married. I'm really happy for you two. You deserve it, both of you."

"Thanks mom....really."

"For now, relax. And in a few days, let's start your lessons again, shall we?"

"Mmmm....yep. Definitely! I have to admit....knowing certain things....can be really helpful."

"Can you do me a favor, Sasami?"

"Huh? Sure?"

"Help your sister. She's very happy for you two, but she's easily distracted. Be an example to her, show her why she really needs those lessons."

"Of course, but I already would have."

"I know. You didn't have much time to be her big sister so far. Make sure to make time."

"I will. Of course I will!"

She put her arm around my back and guided me back inside.

"We have something nice planned this evening. We didn't know if you would be able to join, but thank the heavens you are. Sasami, after dinner ask Celeste to help you get dressed into your special dress will you? And see what your sister thinks of hers."

"You....wow. You....sure! But....what's the occasion?"

"Ha ha ha....you'll see...you'll see, honey. My two lovely daughters will be even prettier tonight."

3