Chapter 26: A Warm Summer Fairy
179 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After dinner I walked upstairs at a quick pace, heading for Melody's bedroom. I briefly stopped halfway up the stairs...only then realizing that I had actually run on high heels. "Wow..did I really just do that?"

I resumed my sprint upstairs and stopped in front of her bedroom door.

Even though we're sisters, we haven't spent much time together and I feel pretty guilty about that. So far there was always something else going on in my life that kept us apart. But no more....at least that's what the goddess promised me.

Knock knock. "Melody, can I enter?"

"Oh, hi, Sasami! Of course!"

I enter her bedroom for the first time and see the bedroom of a genuine Princess. Her bed is comparable to mine, and I don't mean the one on the floor. Oops...I forgot to remove those blankets this morning....too late to worry about that now. I'm sure mother will ask about that sooner rather than later.

Melody's bed is a bit wider than mine though, allowing at least three or four people to enjoy their rest without complaining about a lack of space. My bed is just...intended for me I guess, or perhaps my bedroom was initially set up for guests only? I'm surprised nobody asked me about that yet?

Anyway, her blankets are in a soft pink color with flower patterns and two small, also pink, heart shaped cushions lie next to her pillow on both sides. Plushies in all sizes and colors adorn two shelves and even one can be seen sitting on her desk. Her favorite plushie is lying on the bed.

It seems her room doesn't have a balcony, but the view is equally amazing from this angle. You can see the mountain even better from here.

"Sasami?" Melody suddenly stands next to me.

"Oh, sorry, just admiring the view. Huh? What are you wearing?" 

"Huh? What am I wearing? The question is what are you wearing? Won't you go tonight?" Her cat ears seem to have lost their energy, lying flat on her head. Her tail stopped swaying....also seemingly lifeless.

I can't resist gently patting her on her head twice, but I managed to prevent hugging her. That was just too cute. 
"Of course I will, but I just wanted to say hi. Mom said your dress would be amazing, but....it's not a dress, or is it?"

Her ears and tail instantly recover, brimming with energy. "No silly! This is a kimono. Never heard of those?"

"On the contrary." I sit down on her bed and see her swirl to show off her kimono. "It's common to wear that in a specific region on Earth. It really suits you."  It's as if someone just went to Earth and bought a genuine Japanese kimono for her to wear. I guess this is another example of this world influencing the Japanese at some point in their history. Whatever the reason, it looks amazing on her.

"You think so?" She walks over to the mirror and lets her hands glide over the fabric on her waist. Her pink kimono really looks expensive, but hey, what doesn't around here?

"Absolutely, but shouldn't you wear sandals with that?"

"Of course! I'm surprised...so you really do know about our customs?"

"Eh...yeah, I guess so. So no high heels tonight?"

"Ha ha ha...no, not tonight. Seems you're in luck. I know how much you hate those."

"Mmmm...as strange as it may sound...I'm actually beginning to get the hang of those. I don't really hate them anymore, but I think I still do like sandals. Will be strange to wear regular shoes again."

"Well....those formal shoes really look great on you." She looks at my white high heeled shoes which are barely visible beneath my dress.

"Thanks, sis. Tell me, is there anything I should know about tonight? Any weird surprises?"

"Oh no...no no no.....I'm not going to spoil that for you. But no...just something fun. Nothing to worry about."

"Really?" I'm trying mother's interrogation glare on Melody.

"Yes! Just relax! I promise. Really...just look forward to it. You and I will walk together. But otherwise....my lips are sealed."

"Alright then, I believe you. So....see you later?"

"Definitely, you have about an hour left, so you might want to hurry a bit."

"Hurry? I don't need an hour to get dressed!"

"Honestly, Sasami....applying makeup is mandatory tonight!" She grinned.

"Oh...right. Bye!"  I then hurried to my bedroom where I found Celeste waiting for me. 

 

 

"Sasami! I've been looking all over for you, you need to hurry!" Celeste said, while gesturing wildly, afraid we weren't going to make it in time.

Suffice to say that getting dressed for a second time today was rather unusual. But the end result is...amazing.

The reflection in my standing mirror shows a smiling young woman in a pink kimono, the exact same colors and patterns as Melody's. For some reason my long, flowing hair just had to be wrapped into a knot, using an old fashioned glossy black stick. It almost looks like someone shot an arrow through my head. 

Celeste told me that wearing such a thing is a tradition reserved for the eldest daughter in a family...even though I was adopted.

She emphasized that it was a great honor, because my parents WANT me to wear it, even though Melody is technically their eldest. Melody will be wearing a light blue hair pin in her long freely flowing hair, symbolizing the youngest daughter. Both she and I will be wearing a small blue flower in our hair on our left sides. That apparently symbolizes youth, prosperity and family bonds. But no matter how much I tried getting Celeste to talk about tonight, she just wouldn't tell me what I could expect.

 

The sun is slowly setting, meaning I'm running out of time. Celeste finished applying the makeup and now Melody and I both walk down the stairs where father and mother are smiling at us.

"Wonderful! My wish to finally see both my daughters smile while both wearing something so beautiful...finally fulfilled!" Mother said, truly speaking from the depths of her heart.

"Yes dear, finally...for the first time ever...we have two daughters to accompany us to the Three Moon Festival." Father said, also seeming proud of us.

"Father?" Will he finally reveal what's going to happen?

"Ha ha ha, no, Sasami, I won't spoil the surprise. But I'll tell you this much.....the festival name is appropriately chosen." He winked at me.

"Dear? We're running a bit late. Is the carriage ready?" Mother seems a bit worried.

"Of course, Sienna. My best Buggos will pull the carriage tonight. But even they can't fly over the public gathered in the streets. Just think of it as arriving fashionably late this year."

Okay, now I feel a bit guilty for being the reason everyone's late.  "Father? I might...have an idea?"

"You do, Sasami? You want to talk to the Buggos? Try and fly anyway?"

"Ha ha ha....that was actually a good second choice. No...how about we get into the carriage....and I just teleport us directly to our destination?"

"You....you can do that?" Father looks surprised.

"Sure. Just tell me where you want to appear. Is it near the restaurant Kenta and I....eh...visited?"

"Not quite. It's a bit further away, about a five minute carriage ride to the north of the public Hall or Worship. Does that help?"

"One moment."  I checked my map and zoomed in by gesturing with my hands. Mmmm...okay....there, that's it. 
"Is it a big square next to farmlands and directly south of something called Celestial Bridge?"

"Eh....yes...that's it. How do you even know that?" Father seems to have lost it.

"Dear....she's a goddess and talks to animals....and yet you're still surprised?" Mother winked at me.

"Eh...good point, Sienna. So, Sasami...will it work?"

"Nope. That place is crowded. We can't appear there safely without running into people. Mmm.....let me handle it. I can do this."

"Alright, Sasami...we trust you." Mother said before father could reply.

Melody didn't say a word but just smiled at me...she's mostly used to my ways by now.

 

The glossy black carriage in front of us is the official royal one. Our family crest is painted in a golden color to the left of the door. Two well-behaved Buggos are waiting to pull the carriage, but they'll be in for a surprise. Mmm...I guess I should warn them first. "Mother, I have to tell the Buggos something."

"I see. But hurry up, dear."

The others already step into the carriage and I approach the driver. "Good evening, driver. Please ignore me, I need to talk to the Buggos."

Suffice to say the good man, in his royal attendant uniform, gave me quite the weird look. "Eh...yes Princess?"

I walk in front of the Buggos and pet the area around their beaks. Both seem to love the attention. "mmm....no...more to your left....ah...perfect," one of them said. But I don't have the time for this.

"May I ask you two something?" I asked.

"You can talk?"

Great, here we go again. "Of course I can. Thank you two for pulling the carriage for us. I just want to tell you tonight will be a bit different."

"Really? Why?"

"I'm hungry." The other one said, earning him a nudge from the other.

I whispered to them. "Shh..don't tell anyone, but I'm a goddess."

"Whhaaaaaaa?"

"Shh!"

"Sorry..."

"As I was trying to say. I will move us directly to our destination, so please don't be alarmed. I will keep you safe. You might want to fly away, but you don't have to, okay? Do you understand?"

"Eh...yes? We should not move?"

"Exactly. You will suddenly appear above many people....and I will slowly land everyone there. So please don't be afraid. Okay?"

"Yes, goddess. We trust you."

"Thank you boys. Oh, and you there....I will ask the driver to give you something to eat later on."

"Thank you goddess....they forgot me tonight."

"Oh, I'm sorry about that. If you need my help, just eh...try to get his attention. Okay?"

"Yes, goddess. You smell great." 

"Eh...thanks I guess?"

I leave the Buggos and turn back to the driver who just looks at me like I'm going insane. Oh right, I need to tell him too, of course.

"Driver?"

"Yes, Princess?"

"That Buggo over there is very hungry. Please feed him when we arrive."

"Yes, Princess."

"Oh, and we will teleport to our destination, so you don't have to do anything. When we arrive...just...do what you have to do. Do you understand?"

"Tele...port?" He's quite confused.

"Yes, as in...me moving all of us to our destination in the blink of an eye?"

"Eh....okay?"

"So please don't be alarmed. And the Buggos already know, so they won't panic."

He just nodded, at a loss for words.

 

I wanted to step into the carriage but was respectfully stopped by an attendant. He offered his hand, wearing white gloves. He helped me climb aboard while allowing me to step on what looks like a simple but nicely decorated crate. "Thank you very much," I said, speaking in a warm tone of voice.

"My pleasure, your majesty." He smiled after which he closed the door.

"Alright Sasami...whenever you're ready..."  Father asked.

"Sure...oh, and we'll appear above those people...so please don't be alarmed."

"A...above? Okay.." 

"Good, now hold on."  Everyone suddenly sits upright, ready for what's about to happen. "Oh, hi Celeste. I didn't know you were.."

"Sasami....now please?" Father asked, sounding a bit annoyed.

"Oops...okay."  FLASH

 

And in a flash we appeared above the crowd gathered at this apparently historic location. We're holding steady, not falling down....so that's a big plus.

We hear many people shouting from below us "Ahhh!! Look, there! A carriage from the gods."

That last part was my mistake, since we seem to be glowing like my wings usually do...a soft white hue is all around us.

"Eh...father...excuse me for a moment."  FLASH

I teleported down between the people while my wings were glowing brightly, startling a few citizens. But my appearance is all but menacing...I mean...just look at my beautiful kimono!  Ah...focus! Focus Sasami!

In a loud voice I shout "Good evening kind people. Would you please make way for the royal carriage? Yes, thank you. Perfect!" I pointed to the carriage which was still hovering above me.

I then let the carriage slowly descend until everyone was safely back on the streets of our wonderful city.

Now that I'm standing outside, I notice that the driver is completely stressed out....not moving one bit, holding his hands firmly onto the carriage. "It's okay, driver. You can let go now. I promise that you are perfectly safe here."

"Oh...thank...you.." He doesn't seem to be convinced yet.

"Eh...would you please help the royal family step out of the carriage?" Just a suggestion....

"Oh! My manners!"  He jumped from his position and helped my family until everyone was standing next to me.

I walk over to the Buggos and say "well done, my friends. Very well done. That guy should feed you now. If he doesn't....make sure to remind him."

"Yes, goddess!"  Both of them happily replied. God, I'd love to pet them right now, but I can't.

 

Not even a minute later the now empty carriage left us, probably heading to some kind of a parking place. It will take the driver quite some time to get through the crowds, but that's not for me to worry about.

"Sasami....I must hand it to you. Your ways are unconventional....but it did the trick." Mother said with a smile.

But the people around us were silent...very silent. Still not sure what was going on.

Father noticed this and then addressed the people, while raising his arms as if he were blessing them. "Kind people of Yamagawa! Thank you all for joining the royal family tonight! May you enjoy your evening! Music! Let the festivities begin!"

"Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeahh!" We could hear the crowds all around us yell in anticipation of tonight's events.

Suddenly the whole city seems to be in a party mood. When we first arrived, there were only sporadically lit street lanterns, but now....many little colorful lanterns can be seen. One is green, the other blue...all possible colors suddenly liven up the place. So many people holding lanterns is a sight to behold! More and more lanterns are lit, on buildings too.

"Beautiful!" I shouted so my parents could hear my voice through the crowd.

But mother shouted "can you get us into that building? It has a balcony..." She pointed at a nearby building, knowing that walking through the crowds would take a while.

I nodded and motioned them to move closer....FLASH....and we were suddenly located on the balcony. The sounds are a bit quieter here, so we don't have to shout anymore.

"Thanks, Sasami. Well done." Father said.

Suddenly we hear a door open behind us....it creaked pretty loudly. "Your majesties! I'm sorry, I wasn't informed you had arrived!" A very apologetic looking man approached us.

"Don't worry, mayor, we had some help. Is everything prepared?" Father asked.

"Of course, your majesty. Whenever you're ready."

"Good," mother replied.

I whisper to Melody, "is this a Fairy-only thing? There are only Fairy-sized buildings here?"

"Oh, you didn't know? It's something from our ancestors. In the early days there were some accidents involving Kitsune stepping on Fairies....yeah...I know, not a very pretty thought." She noticed me grimacing. "The Kitsune have the exact same thing going on...and soon both royal houses will meet to congratulate each other, wishing each other well for the next year."

"Ohhh...so...it's like a New Year's celebration then?"

"Mmm....no, we have that too. Don't worry, you'll get used to it. If you hadn't noticed...the people of this city love to throw parties." She grinned.

"Yeah....I already noticed. So...what's next?"

"Our parents will speak to the mayor and his family, then watch on the balcony. But we....hehehe...we get to go party with the people!"

Now a grin appeared on my face. "Sounds like fun."

"It is....and once the people start counting down....the goddess will bless us, and our wings will start to glow too! I wonder what color yours will have."

"Pink, my wings will glow in pink."

"Huh...how do you know?" She didn't expect that reply.

"I'm a Priestess too, so I already had a similar experience with my Clan."

"Amazing, sis. Well....can you...like...teleport us down? The show only starts when we join them."

"Eh...I don't understand?"

"Sasami...we're the royal family. Why do you think we're dressed like this?" She points to our kimonos. "These are our traditional clothes, people will recognize them and start following us."

"Eh....but....where?"

"Don't worry, I know the route. Just walk next to me, and most importantly....have fun! Now teleport us to the entrance door below."

 

FLASH

 

"Wow...that was fast. I'm a bit dizzy." Melody said when I caught her from losing her balance. "Thanks, sis."

"Ah, there you are." Celeste said with a warm smile. "Are you ready?"

"Sure, ready as we'll ever be."

 

She walks after us, apparently keeping people from getting too close. A few guards walk to us as well, but don't move too close, allowing us some privacy.

"Okay, let's go..." Melody said while walking into the crowds. "Sasami...as the eldest daughter...you will have the honor to address the people."

"But..what do I say?"

"Just follow your heart."

"Right. Eh."  Ok, time to improvise. I actually wanted to fly above the crowd....but considering what I'm wearing....not such a smart idea. Instead I let my wings start glowing....a bright pink. Being a goddess myself I can do that at will now.

"People! Listen!" I shout and the crowd slowly goes quiet. Amazing...such well-mannered people. "My dear people. It is time for the festivities to begin. I am Princess Sasami and next to me is my younger sister Melody. We will now start and ask you to follow us. HAVE FUN EVERYONE!!!!" 

"Yeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!"   and the crowd goes wild again.

People start following us and Melody has quite the pace, perfect...I hate walking slowly...so this is just perfect. "Well done, sis..couldn't have said it any better."

"You're too kind."

"I know."

Luckily she didn't see me roll my eyes.

 

The route took us past canals where brightly colored flags and ribbons decorated the streets from above us. It's a mighty sight...colors are everywhere and people carry brightly lit lanterns.

So far I'm the only Fairy whose wings are glowing in the dark...a fact that's about to change.

 

When we arrive at a large natural clearing, a park perhaps, Melody says "Sasami...it's almost time. Tell the people the moons will bring new light."

"Okay." We stopped walking and I used a bit of divine strength to amplify my voice. "People....it's time! The moons are about to bring new light! May they bring hope and prosperity to all!"

"Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeea"   and again the crowd goes wild.....until everything gets eerily quiet.

 

When we look into the sky....after waiting in silence for a few minutes, hearing only a faint whisper around us....the three moons start to glow brighter than usual.  One moon looks like the one I remember from Earth, the other is shining blue and the broken one green. Then it happened......in between them....a bright light like the sun itself shines all over our lands. The surroundings absolutely look indistinguishable from daylight now.

"Ohhhh!!!!!!" People everywhere were astonished by this amazing cosmic event.

"And this happens every year?" I asked Melody with excitement in my voice.

"Yep. And now ask for the goddess's blessing. And when our wings start to glow....tell them to start the music!"

The light slowly went away, the whole thing only lasted a minute. Then we're in the dark of night again.

"Okay...I can do that." I inhaled and exhaled to relax....then shouted "People....after this wonderful display of light...let there be even more light! Light to fuel our hearts...to help each other....to be a light ourselves. May the goddess bless all of us!"

And immediately after I finished speaking.....all our wings started to glow....mine were glowing even brighter now.

"Wooooow! We are blessed, mommy!" I heard a child nearby say.

Then I shouted "Time for music! Have fun everyone!!"

 

After more cheering, the music started. Flutes, drums, all kinds of classical instruments around us give us an even more amazing feeling.

"Sasami...it's time for us to return to the mayor's house."

"Okay, so....like walking all the way back....or the super turbo teleport way?"

"The what now? Oh, teleport? Yes, let's do that. Our part in the celebrations has already ended, so let them enjoy themselves."

"Sure, then....oh...Celeste! Yes, over here!" I almost forgot to bring her with us....and the guards too.

"Hey, Melody?"

"Yes?"

"You have someone to help you dress and such things, right?"

"Yes, of course. You have Celeste, I have Straw help me." 

"Wait...she's called Straw?"

"Shhh....no, it's Strawberry...but I prefer Straw. But even if she wouldn't show it...she would be hurt if you called her that."

"Ohhh...okay. That makes sense....or not. Whatever. So...why are you without Straw.....berry?"

"Ha ha ha...because Celeste is the most experienced in many things. We can't bring our maids everywhere, so we ask Celeste to join us instead. She's not just any maid, she's part of the family, right, Celeste?"

Celeste just smiled, she couldn't possibly reply to that.

I winked at Celeste and said "yep, she sure is."

Mmmm.....I might have seen a sparkle in her eyes, definitely not a tear. Anyhow, I really feel like she's part of our little Palace Clan.

When I asked our group to move closer and asked again and again.... I finally felt they were close enough to be teleported back.....FLASH.....   "....aaaaand here we are again."

The guards were very surprised to say the least, but Melody seems to appreciate the benefits of my new abilities. They leave us and then Melody and Celeste follow me inside the mayor's home.

 

Our parents introduced us to them and we joined them for late night tea and snacks.

At some point I was asked, again as the eldest sister, to light a candle for continued friendship with the Kitsune in our city. The Kitsune do the same, expressing a hope for continued friendship with us. God, you've got to love these traditions.

While the mayor's daughter sat next to her mother, their son also lit a candle, but for some reason he was blushing while staring at the candle. It took me a few moments to understand why he was blushing. Then I finally connected the dots....he and Melody were exchanging glances...more than once. Might be my intuition, but I feel some deeper connection between those two. And considering the degree of blushing going on....the others must see it as well. Awww...kids these days....they grow up so fast.

Mother was particularly proud of me, that I'm engaged to a Prince, and the mayor's wife used the occasion to express her hope that her daughter might perhaps find a worthy position in the Palace. And somehow I doubt she meant that she could start as a maid. Politics...it's the same in every world.

When I noticed that everyone, including myself, covertly started yawning, the mayor asked us all to join him outside on the balcony. He had prepared a short speech and addressed the people outside who seemed to be waiting for something special. And then it happened.....fireworks! These people actually have fireworks!

All kinds of colors shoot high up into the sky, lighting the place where many people have gathered. That in combination with their glowing wings, made the evening the most spectacular event I have ever witnessed.

After saying our goodbyes, I found our carriage on my map and teleported us to the right side of it. Father spoke to the driver and I couldn't resist just teleporting the whole shabang back to the Palace. Somehow I pity the driver...just sitting there all the time. But at least he fed the Buggos, so that should make him feel better, right?

3