Chapter 27: The True Meaning of Fairy
174 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yesterday night Celeste had to drag me upstairs....I was that exhausted. And...she might have had to force me into my nightie, because I can't actually remember how I ended up wearing it. I must have fallen asleep the instant I touched my bed.

 

Mother told me during breakfast that my private tutoring would start this afternoon. First a shared dancing lesson with Melody, and then things become progressively worse.....eh....I mean more interesting.

She told me that even with Kenta's forgiving nature, I should still try to support him properly. And that means trying to be at least somewhat of a decent Queen. Mom, being a Queen herself, has promised to give me some pointers. During those "lessons," when mom will be my tutor, Melody will be present as well, for obvious reasons.

So....considering I have no other duties this morning....I decided to visit my green pals in the forest to the south of this Palace....the Furlings.

As a royal dress is not really suited for walking through the woods, I was allowed to dress in my Spiritwalker outfit. And I have to say, when looking in the mirror....this still looks best on me! Sophisticated, but a bit wild. Elegenant, but ready to use a knife. That's just basically me!

I peaked at Melody being tutored and decided to just let her be. I would only distract her, and that would upset mom. And we can't have an upset mother, now can we?

 

FLASH

 

I just teleported myself to the forest. This time I'm walking through the woods as a Kitsune, swaying my long, fluffy tail and enjoying the sounds and smells of the forest. I can't explain it, but sometimes it just feels good to be tall again. Looking down at mushrooms instead of looking up at them...well, that sort of thing. Okay, I have to admit the mushrooms here are quite big, when compared to the ones I saw back on Earth. I wonder if they are edible.....well....not going to find out.

"Okay map. Show me any Goblins."  Nothing happens.

"Great. Now mark any potential dangers to me as red dots." A few red dots appear on the map.

"Oh? Interesting...what are those red dots?"  

"Humpback troll lv21." A description just showed itself for a few seconds.

Ha ha ha...what the heck is that even? Whatever....let's not find out. I asked for potential dangers...so if need be I'll just teleport away.

"Map, as usual, if anything dangerous approaches me....beep or something."

This time the map spoke to me. "Alarm activated."

"Wow...so cool. Great. Now show me Furlings as bright green dots." Many dull green dots suddenly changed into bright green dots. The color green was already used for friendly dots, so the brighter dots are....eh....even friendlier. Whatever...it works.

"Map, show me Moosback's location."  The map now shows a blinking green dot, not very far away. Many more green dots surround him, so that must be his Clan.

I decided to walk to his Clan so they could see me approach...I don't want to surprise them. But after a few minutes I learn that the exact opposite is true....a voice high in a tree suddenly startles me. "Please stop, you are approaching my Clan."

My status screen confirms...it's him alright. "Mooseback! My friend! Do you mind if I visit you for a short while?"

"Huh? Sasami? You're......what? Is that really you?" Mooseback said with obvious surprise in his voice. He's a pretty small being when I'm in Kitsune form.

I quickly change back to Fairy size and notice him lowering his head to suddenly find me standing on the forest floor.

"Wha??? Amazing! It really is you! You're back!" He then shook his head in surprise "Eh, sure...just follow me home!"

I followed the slowly flying fluffy furry Furling back to his Clan where multiple Clan members recognized me, including his wife and daughter.

 

My eyes grew wide when I saw Mooseback ignite a campfire with his right paw. A skill he learned when I told him that he was one of the lucky few to possess that skill. Seems like he practiced a lot while I was gone.

It didn't take me long to give in to the other's requests to tell them what kind of skills they had. The water spray skill was a convenient one....should Mooseback have troubles with his fire skill one day.

After about an hour of telling them how their skills work, most Furlings were pretty enthusiastic. Just one big happy bunch of green fur, swaying their tails and occasionally knocking me over. But no harm done, they're just happy.

At some point a few Furlings realized that those weird squiggly lines are supposed to be the letters of the alphabet. Well, this world's alphabet to be precise. I had to read to them out loud how those letters sound.

Only then I realized what was going on. These people have some kind of eidetic memory, allowing them to remember everything they see, even if only for a brief moment. A few Furlings thanked me, but then they started talking among themselves....explaining the different symbols to each other.

Oops......I may have just taught them the basics of written language....a huge boost to their cultural development. Well, how could I have known that they were actually far more intelligent than they appear to be?

 

Mooseback lies next to me, enjoying the heat of the sun while I'm enjoying his cuddly soft fur. I wonder what the secret is of that soft fur? My tail isn't as soft as his fur. Mmm....we might need to compare notes soon. At least nobody noticed me teaching them basic culture...nor me whistling very inconspicuously.

 

That is until some kind of high powered energy beam locked onto me and pulled me up into the sky like dust into a vacuum cleaner.

 

When I finally stop feeling dizzy and am about to throw up, I notice someone holding me steady. It's the supreme goddess.

"Sorry for pulling you up, but I don't have the time to be polite." She looks really serious.

"Oh...supreme goddess? I can understand you being busy, so I don't mind. But still....just a warning would have been nice?"

"I promise I'll remember that. Now please follow me to the Tribunal." She pointed to the corridor next to her office.

"WHAT? What did I do wrong?"

"Relax, Sasami. This is not about punishment, trust me. And yes .... I know very well what you just did. Teaching the Furlings the alphabet? A big step, but that's okay, just don't try anything else with them for the time being. You first have to learn how to become a proper goddess."

"Eh...okay. So...learning how to become a Spiritwalker...check......learning to be a Princess...failed.....being a Queen....failed.....being a goddess.....failed.  Is that about right?"

"Ha ha ha, yes, sounds about right. But you're making progress. Don't forget, you're still 16, Sasami. That means you still have lots to learn."

"Mmm.....okay, sure, I can respect that. But why bring me here so suddenly?"

I followed her through the corridors of the office building until we arrived at the room where previously the Tribunal was held.

"Sit down, Sasami. The Tribunal is about to begin."

"Eh...yes, supreme goddess, as you wish."

"Good girl. See, your manners are improving already." She winked at me, because she just knows I can't stand etiquette.

 

FLASH FLASH  FLASH.  

 

Lots of familiar faces just appeared and I waved at them. But this time the Fairy goddess is a kind person. And the Goblin's seat is the only empty one today. I guess he won't be returning....ah right...he's gone....like.....really gone.

All of them smiled and returned the wave. Nice people, I'd like to have a coffee with them one day. The guardian of the Dwarves too. He's a kind guy too. Oops....he's frowning....they're doing that mind reading thing again.....focus Sasami...focus.

"Sasami....?"

"Yes, supreme goddess?" I said while sitting in the middle of the Tribunal's circle.

"As you already know, we recently removed all Goblins from this world, just like Earth's deity did. They have been relocated to another world where they can't do any harm. There's just no way the races under our protection can coexist peacefully anymore, all scenarios would eventually lead to a grand war, so we had to intervene. There were just too many Goblins on Tallara."

"Yes, I understand."

"Good. You will remain a Fairy for as long as you shall live. But in the meantime...you must start learning how to become a proper goddess. And since a wandering goddess is unheard of, you will at some point need to care for your people, just like I do for my Kitsune. All guardians here have their responsibilities to care for their respective races. Are you still with me?"

"Eh...yes, goddess. Please continue."

"So polite, he he he." The Mermaid lady giggled. She even winked at me when I glanced in her direction. I couldn't suppress a smile. 

"Sasami....as you can see...we happen to have a vacant spot in our circle. Please.....take your place at the circle now."

"Wha? What.....he????" I must have missed something.

"Ha ha ha...told you she would be surprised." The cute Bunny lady just said. "Awwww......you're cute yourself. Just wait and you'll see that for yourself."

Okay...I'm not understanding this at all. What's going on here?

"Sasami....just stand up, and sit in that empty seat over there, alright?"

"Yes, supreme goddess."

The moment I walked over to the empty seat, my previous seat vanished. Okay...weird things happen up here.

"Yep, she's beginning to understand. Much quicker than you did." The Deer person with his mighty antlers said, looking at the Dwarf.

"Now now...please save that for later. Sasami?"

"Yes, supreme goddess?"

"As agreed by the majority decision of the members of this Tribunal...I, as the supreme goddess, hereby appoint you to care for the beings you seem to love so much. The Furlings as you have appropriately named them."

At that point I was startled....my tail almost exploded...increasing in width and becoming even fluffier. Fur just appeared out of nowhere all over my body.....making me look like a Fairy/Furling combination. But for some reason I'm still standing, not walking on all four paws.

"What?" Is all that I could say while watching the fur expand and turn green.

"Ha ha ha....I love this part. I'm diggin' the fur, looks great on you. But then again, I'm biased." The Wolf person said. He's pretty furry himself. Well, looks good on him.  "Oh, you think so? Thanks, kid."

Okay....so I'm basically the same Fairy as before, but I'm covered in green almost everywhere. My tummy has a patch of white fur, but my arms, legs and face remain furless. My tail is now also green, as apparently are my ears. This.....this is something I'll have to get used to.

"Sasami, are you alright?"

"Eh....honestly, I'm not really sure, supreme goddess?"

"Let me explain. When you're in the Spirit Realm you'll look like you do now. Once your long life as a Fairy ends, you will look a bit more like your Furlings. But for the next few hundred years, this is enough for you to get used to. But when visiting your people on the planet.....you shall be like them... take their form! When you are with your Fairies...be a Fairy. I see you get the point, you'll get the hang of it."

"Eh.....yes. I think I understand. So...what's expected of me now?" I carefully asked, afraid to have missed a few important details.

"While you're still living as a Fairy, not much. But please spend time with your people. Be in their form once in a while and experience life as a real Furling. But otherwise, just focus on your life as a Fairy. We will assist you, should your help as a goddess be required."

"Okay.....sure...I will do my best. Thank you."

"Congratulations on reaching level 3!" Arhena, the Fairy goddess said.

I immediately look at my tails....yup, there are 3 green ones now! "Wow...nice.... So....will I have 3 tails as a Furling then?"

"Yes, unless you wish to hide them....but it works the same for all of us. Most of us just want to hide them."

The supreme goddess just looked at me with a big grin. "I just read your mind....you are not going to hide them.....because they are fluffy heaven? Really?"

"Eh... eh he he. Sorry.......I really like my tail..eh...tails.....they help me sleep, keep me warm....and well....just look great." I shrugged.

The Wolf guardian laughs and says "Ha ha ha, Sasami! I'm so happy I'm not the only one who likes to be fluffed! We should talk sometime. You and I have so much in common. First a meat lover, and now a fluffer like myself. We HAVE to be friends. I know how to make that tail of yours fluffier than a Bunny's but."

The Bunny goddess now replies "hey! I resent that! You meant my tail, didn't you?"

"Ha ha ha ha, yeah...sorry. An honest slip of the tongue. That's what I meant." He then mumbles "a small tail unfortunately."

The Bunny goddess playfully hits his arm and he pretends to be hurt. "Aaaahhhh I'm hurt! Hit by a Bunny!"

I couldn't suppress my laughs anymore and just let them all out. "Ha ha ha! It would be SUCH an honor to learn from the best of the best!" 

He gave me a thumbs up. "Ha ha ha, see ya around, kid."  

 

After receiving many congratulations, I returned to Mooseback.

"Hey! Who are you?" He said surprised.

When I look at myself, I see that I'm about his size now. And otherwise mostly identical to these Furlings.

"Moosback, I'm Sasami. I have news. Big news."

"Sasami??? You look amazing!" He said with his usual big grin.

I don't know why, but I just had to blush. "Thanks, Moose."

"So...what's the news?" His daughter asked.

I use my paws to motion for the others to join us. "People! You are all now under my protection. You see.....from now on....I will be the official guardian of all Furlings!"

"Peeeeeeeee!" The Furlings around me all made that weird sound again and started jumping up and down on all four paws.

Oops....It only dawned on me now that I was doing the exact same thing....I'm just like a fox...walking on my four paws....and it feels......normal? Weird, but normal. Does that even make any sense?

 

After spending about another hour with my furry friends, I told them I had to leave for home. They understand that I'll be living my life as a Fairy, and then.....just be their goddess basically. They made sure that I understood that I was more than welcome here. Just like before, but even more so now that I'm their guardian. 

 

I teleport back to the Palace into my bedroom, but notice that it's just a bit smaller than I remember. Oh, right...I'm still a Furling..and they're a bit taller than Fairies are.

"AAAAAAH  EEEEEEEEEK! " Yep, I did it again. I scared yet another maid. Or are they hiring new maids every day I scare one away?

I see Celeste running into my room with a broomstick in her hands. Oh no....no no no....I don't like this one bit. She starts using the broomstick like a baseball bat, but luckily my fur just absorbs the blows. I run around the room even though I'm not hurt at all, but she tries to shoo me away anyway.

Finally I managed to shout "Celeste....!"

Celeste immediately freezes. "Wha......what did you say?"

"I said your name, Celeste." I stopped running and looked at her, moving my nose very close towards her small nose.

"What the heck are you even?" She tilted her head, her broomstick ready to attack.

"What the heck? Ha ha ha...you just sound like me, Celeste."

"Wait.....Sasami? Is that you?" She started to smile and let the broomstick fall to the floor.

"Yep...I'll explain later. I just need to learn how to turn back into a Fairy first."

Melody must have heard, and brought our parents with her as well. "Ha ha ha ha Sasami, is that really you? You look so...fluffy!" She walks over to me and hugs me.

"There...that was the welcome I had hoped to receive. See? Melody is nice?"

"I'm sorry, Sasami. I didn't..."  she's really sorry, so I gave her a nudge with my nose. 

"Eekk.....your nose is cold."

I rolled my eyes.

"Yep, that's our Sasami." Father said with a smile.

Mom just shook her head. "First the Buggos, now she IS a Furling. What has become of our daughter?"

"Moooommmmm.."  

"Ha ha ha....just teasing you, honey. Why don't you change back already?"

"Mom....believe me...I'm TRYING."

I carefully read my skills in my "menu" and quickly understand why I'm having those difficulties.

"Oh.....so this is a divine skill.....and now my real appearance is that of a Furling on the planet, and a Fairy-Furling-hybrid-thingy in the Spirit Realm. So being a Fairy is more....like a temporary thing now? Whatever. I just have to wish for it."

 

FLASH.

 

And their familiar Sasami is now standing in front of them.

"Sasami?"

"Yes, father?"

"Why do you have 3 tails?" He points at the abundance of fluff swaying behind my back.

"Eh...oops. Let me fix that real quick. How about tea, anyone?"

My three tails became a single one again, not green, but just like before and I told them everything that had happened to me so far. Mom was right. Never a dull moment when I'm around.

 

 

After lunch father and Melody left me to attend to their duties again, so I finally had some time to ask mom something important before my lessons started. Something that had bothered me for a while. You know...the meaning of life and stuff.

"Mother? May....may I please ask you something....very personal?"

"Mmm....sure. What's it about?"

"You know I'm not from this world originally...so....how...you know.....when you and dad...you know...children?"

"Huh? Oohhh. I see. Well...it must be a difficult topic for you. I had already expected you to ask this question, but to your tutor and not to me. But I'm glad you still did. So please sit next to me in your father's chair. He's not here and he won't mind."

She then looks at the servant waiting in the corner. "Please...leave us."

The servant bows and immediately leaves us. We're all alone.

You see, Sasami, "when two Fairies love each other....very, very much, their souls merge for a few moments...resulting in a feeling of even more love. You will feel the love of the one you are sharing with. And once you reach that level of pure love, the goddess grants us children."

"Oh.... that...sounds a bit similar. Eh...and how long before they are born?"

"Born? No no no, you misunderstood. Fairies...like yourself are magical beings. We are an expression of magic. After the sacred merging...a new Fairy life begins immediately. And I mean immediately, so you have to start taking care of your child right away. So don't be surprised when that happens."

I'm blushing, I think. "Eh...yes mother. So...no pregnancy?"

"No, we don't have a pregnancy period like the other races have. Our children just appear as a bright light and gently land in the loving arms of their parents who just showed that their hearts are filled with love. It's the best place for a new Fairy to start, don't you agree?"

"Yes. Wow...that sounds amazing. So...and please don't hate me for what I'm about to ask."

"I think I already know. Why only Melody?"

"Eh...yeah?"

"It's not that your parents don't love each other anymore. The Fairy god only allows one child per family. Even though there seem to be exceptions."

"Ohhhh? Well...that explains a lot. I never liked that guy in the first place. Mmmm....I will talk to the goddess. This must have been an oversight."

"Perhaps.....but now you realize why we wanted you as our daughter?"

I stand up and hug her. "Thanks mom, I do. I'm sorry you don't have more children."

"My oh my. You have matured so much, experienced so much. And now you're preparing to become a wife, a Queen even and a mother too. I'm not sure which role is more difficult. But let me tell you, they all are rewarding."

 

I thanked her and excused myself, then teleported to the Arhena, the Fairy goddess. We're meeting in a coffee area, or at least that's how my mind chooses to interpret this area in the Spirit Realm. Great coffee, by the way.

"Eh....may I..." but she already raised her hand.

"Yes, I already know. I have to apologize for eavesdropping, but once people start talking about us guardians, I tend to follow their conversations for a while. A good thing this time.

Anyway, that topic is still on my to-do list...hehehe... Considering I made a mistake when guiding you on your first day...I just wanted to be extra careful, but I guess I'm running out of time. What would you do? I mean... you're a goddess now too?"

"Mmmm....I'm biased of course, being a Fairy myself and all. But I would suggest letting Fairies...share souls whenever they....you know.....want.......and only have kids when both parents ask you for it? Like in a little prayer or something? Same rules apply, there must be honest pure love present for a child to be born. It means more love in the world...and perhaps more Fairies to maintain nature as well?"

"Well.......there are relatively speaking enough fairies on Tallara...but considering they will soon become visible to humans on Earth...we might have to increase the population. Earth's deity recently asked us to send over a, and I quote, a bunch of Fairies to help fix humanity's ways."

I smiled. "Yeah...sounds just like him." And then we both giggled. Yep, just two happy goddesses giggling to our hearts' contents.

"Alright.....I shall discuss this with the supreme goddess. You'll be the first to learn. Well, after I do, of course."

"Yeah...duh."

"Hehehe. I like that, Sasami." She made the appropriate dumb face for it and said "duh duh duh."

"Eh...don't overdo that, Fairy goddess!"

"Hahahahaha, I won't, Furling goddess!" 

 

Then I just teleported back and noticed my mother dozing off in her chair. A pity, she might have liked a good cup of coffee now.

I sit on the sofa and relax, intending to let her wake up all by herself.

 

I was petting my three green tails for a moment, and they really are softer than my Kitsune-style tail. It seems I can change my tail however I please, without changing the rest of my body. This should be fun when sleeping! Imagine how silly I'll look in that nightie with three rather fluffy Furling tails dragging behind me.

"Honey? What are you doing?"

"Oh...hi mom. You fell asleep there for a moment."

"Yes...it was quiet without you. But why 3 tails?"

"It seems goddesses earn a new tail when they, you know...like mature or something. I'm now at level three of nine. So not bad I'd like to think. Do you want to pet one too?"

"Eh...no, thank you dear. Perhaps you should stop doing that in public." She pointed at my tails.

My tails immediately consolidated into a single Kitsune-tail and I replied with "do what?"

"Exactly my point. Now tell me....did you see our goddess?"

"Yes, mother. I asked her....wait......oh? Ohhhh! Great news! Thank you!" I looked at the ceiling, then back at my mother. "Mom, the supreme goddess just told me that it's okay. You know....Fairies can now share souls without immediately asking for a new child. Eh....does that even sound correct? Whatever... I mean, if you wish for a child, just ask the goddess....and then show true love. Eh...does that make any sense?"

"It does, honey, it does. And thank you. I will spread the word."

"Please don't mention my name, okay?"

"Of course I won't.  Sasami....it's wonderful news. And here you thought you just brought misery." She winks.

And it must have been divine fate, because father just walked into the Tearoom with Melody in tow.

"By the gods, that guard couldn't stop babbling for a second, right Melody? <sigh> Sienna? What's wrong? You're grinning? Are you ill, my dear?"

Melody sits next to me, quickly snatching a cookie from the cookie jar now that mother is distracted.

Mother walks over to father and hugs him. "Briar, dear?"

"Eh...yes? Sienna...dearest? W....w...wwwwwhhat do you need?"

She whispers into his ears and I see his ears twitch, then his tail starts swaying, just like hers does. Next his eyebrows go up. "Oh? Reeeeally? When? Ohhhhh? You mean now as in...now now?"

"Yes, you silly."

Father then looks at us and says "eh...kids...we.. eh.  your mom and I...we....eh....need to discuss something very urgent." Then the both of them left us alone.

Melody looks at me....in total bewilderment, so I say "please don't ask. It is exactly as you think."

 

 

About an hour later Melody and I walked to our dancing lessons. While walking to the ballroom, we walked past our parents. Let me tell you...2 glowing adults pretending nothing happened while everyone knows ... is awkward!!!!

But before we entered the ballroom, I received another message. This time from the Fairy goddess. 
"I don't know how your mother communicates with other Fairies, but your idea has spread like wildfire. I already received 738 requests for children.....just today. No, make that 743. Ugh....thanks Sasami!"

I replied in my thoughts with "Oops...never underestimate my mother. She's a Queen alright. And consider yourself a very, very popular goddess from now on then." 

She giggled in my mind. "Mmm...yeah, I guess you're right. Bye bye......got lot's of work to do.....ugh...832 already."

"Sasami? Why are you laughing?" Melody can't quite follow my expressions which keep changing all the time. Don't blame me, but the radio in my brain.

"Eh.....it seems lot's of new Fairies will...eh...come into existence today."

"Huh? How....ah.....a goddess thing?"

"Yep...I'll explain later, okay?"

"You better." She giggled.

"Don't worry, I will. But first...time to step onto someone's toes."

"Ha ha ha....you're evil, Sasami."

"I know...oh....oops. It seems I was distracted....I'm not wearing my dress yet. You could have told me, Melody."

"Why? You look great?" She grinned.

"<sigh> Whatever....I'll see you soon, okay?"

"Oh right, sure."

 

FLASH.

3