Chapter 28: What a Fairy Needs
160 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

About ten minutes later I teleported into the ballroom, startling Mrs Clover. I ignored Melody who seems to have enjoyed that.....and that makes me grin too.

"Good afternoon, Mrs Clover."

"Princess, welcome. Awww.....you're not wearing those beautiful shoes today?"

I look at my sandals and facepalm. Okay, I got the hint. "Sorry, please excuse me."

 

FLASH

 

And one minute later I was wearing my high heeled shoes, and I'm ready to start my dance lessons.

High heels again. It's strange, now I have to get used to them again. It's difficult to switch between sandals and high heels for some reason, but just wearing high heels all the time is pretty easy. Whatever, that doesn't make any sense at all, now does it?

 

Melody and I were equally impressed with the live music performed by the apprentice musicians. Apparently mother struck a deal, allowing the young apprentices to practice while we learn how to properly dance. It however still makes no sense to me that Kenta and I were able to dance while neither of us had any real world experience. Perhaps someone up there smiled at us? I guess I'll never know. It simply means that I now have to work really hard, to learn what once seemed so....natural.

The music is nice....mostly. I mean, they are learning their instruments, so I'll forgive them for missing a note or two. It still beats dancing in silence, because that's just plain impossible. I wonder how Melody even tried to dance like that?

Suddenly our mother appears, carrying multiple objects in her hands. They are all shiny, colored and seem to be plasticky. What's that supposed to be?

"Alright, young ladies. You seem to be making progress. Slow...but definitely progress, so let's have a bit of fun, shall we?"

I glanced at Melody and she just shrugged...just like I did. What's that supposed to mean?

"Oh, C'mon don't give me that gloomy look, I promise, it'll be fun!" She motioned for Mrs Clover to take over.

"Yes, indeed, the next dance you will practice is one that's performed in this city every year. Everyone will wear a mask the entire evening, so that people can dance uninhibited. People who seem to have similar interests, will join up and wait for the grand reveal....the moment right before the evening is concluded. Everyone will then take off their masks and see who their counterpart actually is. You might be surprised, and it's guaranteed to be fun!" Mrs Clover tried to make it sound really exciting, but it seems that Melody and I are immune to her ideas of "fun."

Mother then added "and because the both of you are Princesses, you shall have the opening dance...so everyone will be watching closely. You will pick a random dance partner from the public and then start your dance. Then, a few minutes later, the others will follow. So be sure to practice, as even with masks on.....everyone will know who the first ones to start shall be."

"Eh.....yes mother." I said and both Melody and I received a mask from her. 

Mine resembles a Kitsune. I just hope she won't ask me to dance with an actual Kitsune, they are way too tall for us mere Fairies! It'll probably be a split celebration, like the lantern festival recently. Just imagine....stepping on one's partner's toes is bad enough....but stepping on a Fairy would just be plain gruesome.

Mother gestured to someone behind her...and then...very much to both our surprise, two people walked into the room..also wearing masks. They were nicely dressed, probably in uniforms. I'm not really sure.

"And these two gentlemen shall help you practice dancing today. Have fun, girls. Oh, and they'll only be here today, so make it count. And...start the music!"

Mother grinned and sat down near the wall. Great....she's the only one having fun.

When the music started playing, the gentlemen approached us, so we quickly fastened the masks and pretended to have fun for mother's sake. Neither of them introduced themselves, so I didn't bother to either. My dance partner is wearing a Wolf-kin mask, with lots of fur on it. It made me smile for a second, reminding me of my encounter with the Wolf guardian.

After dancing for a few minutes, I felt that something was wrong. Not with me....but with my dance partner. His style........feels familiar. Dancing seems to work on its own. I don't need to count the steps, and still....we're dancing obviously. What the heck is going on this time?

The music slowly changes and I put my hand on his back, and I feel his hand on my back. Both our left hands are now connected and we dance on something that resembles a waltz. And then I knew it....it's him! 

But how? Kenta flew back home? He couldn't have returned and neither can he teleport. So who is this person? Let's have some fun, isn't that what mother had suggested?

"Excuse me, sir?"

"Yes, Princess?"

"Your dance moves are amazing!"

"I beg your pardon?"  Definitely Kenta's voice, trying to sound very formal...but I'm not buying it. I'm smiling big time underneath my mask and he must hear it in my voice.

"You are a wonderful dancer, even better than my fiancé. Perhaps I shall need to reconsider him?"

That made him stop, and I could feel the disappointment...the way his shoulders reacted....staring down.

I briefly look at my mother, but she's pretending innocence. Alright, I can play this game.

Then he took off his mask, hanging it around his arm. He smiled at me and took my hands gently into his warm hands... even though the music was still playing.

"I knew it....."  I then put my arms around his neck and pulled him closer to my lips. Lips that should taste like sweet raspberries today, courtesy of mother's new lipstick supplier. After a kiss I say "you sure have a habit of showing up when I least expect it. But it's okay....I like it."

Mother pretended to be surprised...."Sasami! You are not yet supposed to remove....whatever." Mother just gave up the act.

"Tell me, Kenta, can you teleport now too?"

"Ha ha, no my love. My Buggo is the best....he's as fast as lightning."

"I should thank him. Now kiss me again."

"Yes, my Queen."  And then we kissed....again.

 

When the music stops, I turn to see who Melody's partner is....but both of them are severely blushing. He had also removed his mask.....the mayor's son. I knew it!  I look over at mom and she just smiles and gives me a wink. I thought as much...this is not a coincidence.

Mother walks to us now we're sufficiently surprised.

"Mom.......you're truly amazing."

"Glad you finally noticed, Sasami." She put her hand on my shoulder for a moment.

"Melody, dear?"

"Yes, mother?"

"If you like....you can ask him to become your dance partner from now on?"

She blushes again. "Yes....mother....I would like...that.....very much."

"And you, young man, would you like to join Melody's dance lessons too?"

"Eh....yes my Queen." The boy shyly replied.

"Such a good boy."  Mother smiled....but then an evil sounding laugh followed. Her plan worked perfectly.

 

Kenta then said to me "I'm sorry I won't be able to dance with you more often. You see, soon I will have my coronation. Not a Prince any longer, but a King. But there's actually another reason why I wanted to see you today. I mean....apart from just wanting to see you."

"And what might that be?" I tilted my head....he's serious.

"I forgot to ask last time.....will you live with me in my Palace? Or do you want me to...."

Kiss.

"Oh....so you'll join me?"

"Of course! But do I have to wait a long time to see you again?

"No.....you can teleport, right?"

"Doh! I forgot." I facepalmed again.

"Ha ha ha, you are unique Sasami."

"Good unique...or bad unique?" I said with a teasing tone of voice.

"The best kind. Oh...and there's more."

"Really?" Now I'm really surprised. What else could there be?

"Will you join me on the day of my coronation? I will present you to the world....as my future Queen."

"Yes!"

"There might be some dancing involved...."

"Yes!"

"And some etiquette is required too."

"Yes!"

"And then we'll have to plan our wedding..."

"Yes!"

"And you have to kiss me..."

"Yes!" Then I took my sweet time to seal this dance with a kiss.

 

Mother then loudly said. "See, Melody? That's how life can be for you too. Learn from your big sister."

Melody only rolls her eyes. "Yeah, mom."

"Watch your language, young lady."

"<sigh> ....yes mother."

"Don't sigh, dear. Good, I assume you gentlemen will join us for dinner? I've heard today the chef has prepared Sasami's favorite."

"He has?" I mean....do I even have a favorite?  "Don't tell me.....freshly roasted Goblins?" I smiled at Melody.

"Blech!" Melody just shouted, then putting her hand on her lips to apologize. "Sorry!"

"Ha ha ha, I knew you were going to say that, Sasami. No, cooked fish and tea-smoked vegetables with a fine layer of fudge sauce." Mother made it sound very yummy.

"My god! Mother! Isn't that dish forbidden by the gods? It's truly divine!" I said, after swallowing. This talk about eating made me salivate.

"Ha ha ha....move along kids. Oh, and Mrs Clover...well done. Please thank the musicians for me, they performed....better than I had hoped."

 

We then followed mother to the dining room, considering we were already properly dressed for such an amazing feast. And the company we keep is amazing too!  

For now...we're nothing more than a bunch of happy, smiling....hungry Fairies.

 

Oh...and I didn't even step onto anyone's toes once....today.

3