Chapter 45: Visitors
96 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 45: Visitors

Monday, April 3rd, 6:17 PM

Dungeon Ciara

Fishing and cargo vessels. Dozens of them,” Mike said gravely from atop the Crow’s Nest as he scanned the horizon above the bay through an olive-green set of binoculars.

They flying any flags?” Joe asked beside him.

Mike shook his head. “Too dark. I can’t make much out. But I don’t like it.”

Yeah. Could be foreign.” Joe shrugged.

Most likely,” Mike replied.

Maybe an invasion,” Joe twisted his mouth.

It’s possible. More keep showing up.” Mike sucked at his teeth, then said, “Ciara, turn that lighthouse off if you would.”

[What for?]

If those are foreign ships with troops sent to attack us, do you want them landing here with all these people who don’t know how to fight? With families and children?” asked Mike.

[Good point.] I encased the lightstones with rock, causing my lighthouse to wink out.

Mike nodded. “Thanks. We’re not prepared to deal with that kind of thing.”

[Well, if you’re done looking at the boats, there are around fifty UCSC students nearing the harbor gate.]

You shittin’ me?” Mike facepalmed as he picked up his bow and descended the stairs ahead of Joe.

[No, I’ve been watching them approach for a while.]

When were you planning to inform the rest of us?” Joe sounded annoyed.

[I already overheard the students talking. The students approaching aren’t with the One World Order, if that’s what you’re worried about.]

That’s good to hear, but the point is, me and Joe are trying to protect these people, and we were kept in the dark. I appreciate everything you’ve done for us, Ciara, and I’m grateful… But for fuck’s sake, please keep me and Joe up to speed on shit like this.

[I didn’t mean to offend. I knew they weren’t traitors. They aren’t armed, and I could easily protect everyone if it came down to it. My minions are on standby near the surface. But I will keep you in the loop.]

We’d appreciate it,” said Joe.

Yeah. All of this is bad timing. They should’ve shown up during the day,” Mike grumbled as they trotted across the parking lot.

[I’m letting them in through the gate. My beans and Michael are there to meet them with my pups. Nita’s hidden beneath the bridge, just in case.]

Thanks for the update, and I appreciate the bit about the spider. That’s exactly the kind of situational awareness we need.” Joe nodded.

Alright, let’s see what kind of a mess we have on our hands.” Mike shook his head as he and Joe neared the harbor bridge.


Four figures and two dogs stood mostly silhouetted in the twilight before them as the huge gate opened. Their faces were hard to see in the poor lighting.

Without warning, Mitch stepped forward, dragging Rachel forcefully along with him.

Oh, my God… Rihelah Najibi?” Mitch asked.

He used that tone. The one Mitch only used with Rachel when he wanted her.

What’s happening?

Rachel wrung her hands as the four figures drew a step closer along with the dogs, and she could barely see their faces. Two Yellow Labs sat wagging their tails beside a man and three women. One woman was shorter than Rachel, another was around Rachel’s height, and the third was taller than the man, who had to be six feet at least.

Mitch removed his arm from Rachel, knocking her sideways as he stepped energetically toward the dark-skinned girl, standing arm-in-arm with a tallish young man in front of them.

What is he thinking… fawning over her? I’m right here, asshole. Rachel fumed.

Ah, hey Mitch.” Rihelah waved casually. Her face came into focus, and Rachel hated the woman instantly.

It’s good to see you survived! Who’s your friend?” Mitch asked as Rachel caught herself up beside him. Close-up, the woman Mitch pursued was even prettier than Rachel thought, and she seethed.

My fiancé,” Rihelah corrected Mitch, “is Michael Elliott. Michael, this is Mitch… uh?” She gave a cheerful grimace and shrugged.

Crawford. Come on, Najibi, you’re smarter than this.” Mitch grinned at her.

Michael chuckled and shook his head at Mitch, who tensed up. Rachel’s eyes widened.

Oh, God. Mitch is gonna start a fight over this bitch.

Ah, that’s right. He was a classmate during my final semester at UCSC.” Rihelah turned to Michael and nuzzled against him before they kissed.

Grinning widely, Michael extended his hand toward Mitch, and Mitch took it aggressively, then swung at Michael.

Mitch, stop,” Rachel blurted too late.

But somehow, Michael wasn’t bleeding. He hadn’t even moved.

Rachel couldn’t believe her eyes.

Rihelah stood before them with her beautiful face in a scowl. Her arm was fully extended, and her stance made her look like a seasoned martial artist.

But that wasn’t all.

Mitch sailed past Rachel, tumbling through the air like a rag-doll to knock a few other students back as he collapsed in a heap on the road outside the gate.

Everyone on Rachel’s side stood in utter shock, while the three beside Rihelah shook their heads and sighed as two masculine silhouettes approached across the bridge.

Rihelah’s previously dainty voice pierced the night air from where she stood. “Don’t you ever fuck with my Michael. I tried being civil, you cocky prick. You hounded me in class for an entire semester. I told you no every single fucking time, but you never stopped.

She stalked over to Mitch. “Despite that, I still made an effort to be nice to you. If you make one move toward Michael like that again, I’ll break your legs.” Somehow the short woman loomed over Mitch, whose shaking hand touched his bleeding mouth as he moaned in pain.

[Not smart human.] [Make Ryebean mad is dumb.] [Strong Ryebean.] Two unfamiliar female voices spoke, but Rachel couldn’t locate their source.

Uncle Joe, will you heal this idiot, please?” Rihelah gestured at Mitch as she walked past a gorgeous mountain of a man who made even Mitch look small by comparison.

He’s so hot… Rachel’s jaw fell open as the big man approached.

No prob. We heard what happened. Glad you went easy on him,” Joe sounded serious as he arrived beside Mitch.

That was going easy? Rachel knew she should rush to Mitch’s aid but didn’t want to.

Yeah. He pissed me off, but I’m not interested in bullying the weak.” Rihelah turned to stand with Michael again.

Joe kneeled by Mitch as everyone else backed away. He touched Mitch’s face with a huge hand as Mitch wailed in pain. “Hah. You busted this kid’s jaw good, Najiblet. It’s shattered.”

What?” Rachel fell to her knees.

He won’t be able to eat. How? She looked back at Rihelah in horror.

Son, you’d be wise not to piss her off again. Rihelah could break you in so many ways, even I wouldn’t be able to put your ass back together again. With that in mind…”

A golden glow erupted between Joe’s hand and Mitch’s face, and Mitch’s moaning eased as his bones could be heard shifting.

The crowd muttered in amazement when Mitch’s jaw popped back into shape, and he stopped bleeding.

What the hell’s happening?” Bruce O’Neill asked, backing away from Joe.

It’s magic,” said the short brunette beside Rihelah. “Joe healed him.”

Joe stood and towered over them as Mitch got to his feet, rubbing his jaw in disbelief.

Mitch backed away from Joe with wide eyes and none of his usual confidence. Rachel rushed to his side out of habit, then wondered why she’d bothered as Mitch clung to her and worked his mouth.

It’s really healed.

How?” Rachel’s brow furrowed in amazement.

I already told you. It’s magic,” the short woman shrugged.

Joe said, “Welcome to the Dungeon. You’ve all got a lot to see and learn. Master Guns, you got that new flashlight?”

Ten-four, Schimpf.” The older man who’d arrived with Joe turned a light on. Rachel and the others squinted when their immediate area was illuminated. Something about the light was… different, but Rachel couldn’t say how.

Joe said, “Appreciated.” Then he turned to face Rachel and the others. “I highly recommend that you don’t attack any of the residents, or you’ll end up like this dumbass.” Joe nodded at Mitch, who glared back.

Mitch tensed. His arm squeezed tight around Rachel’s neck, and she had to slap at it before Mitch eased off.

Joe stared Mitch down and continued, “Everyone you see in front of you is stronger than you think, faster than you can handle, and smarter than they were before—including the dogs. Sunny and Sandy, say hello.”

[Hi, humans!] [Sunny likes humans.] [Sandy does, too!] The Yellow Labs moved forward with tails wagging.

Are you shitting me?” Bruce stepped forward while a grin split his face.

[Not is time for shit?] [Sandy not will shit human.] The dogs shared a quizzical glance before they greeted Bruce, who dropped to his knees. [Is kisses time?] [Sunny loves good humans!] They went crazy licking Bruce’s hands and face.

Is this real?” Rachel shook Mitch off her and kneeled, holding her hand out for the dogs. They trotted over to her with tails wagging.

[Human girl smells good.] [Better than dumb human.] The Labs licked Rachel’s hands, then stepped past her and growled at Mitch, who’d stiffened again. [Dumb human smells like fight-want.] [Still want fight, dumb human?] They showed their teeth as they glared up at Mitch.

No, girls. He’s not going to do anything stupid, are you, son? Joe loomed and Mitch deflated.

Didn’t think so,” Joe said cheerfully.

He’s strong.

Who are you people?” Rachel asked.

Master Gunnery Sergeant Mike Elliott, US Marine Corps.” Mike stared at them. His penetrating gaze made Rachel uneasy.

Gunnery Sergeant Joe Schimpf.” Joe shrugged.

Oh, for fuck’s sake.” Terra Heacox grimaced, tugging at her orange braid.

What?” Joe asked, raising an eyebrow.

Terra rolled her eyes and muttered, “Warmongers…”

Mike cracked up, and Joe followed suit.

Joe recovered first. “Let me get this straight… We came out here to greet you peacefully, and one of yours decides to attack Michael over a girl who never liked him. I heal this idiot’s injury after Rihelah smacks him because he was trying to attack her fiancé, but you’re calling us warmongers?

You’re the reason our country got nuked!” Terra spat angrily.

Oh, shit,” the short brunette raced forward and embraced Joe, who looked sad. He put his arm around the woman hugging him and squeezed her shoulder as he shut his eyes and shook his head.

After a moment, Joe nodded at the brunette, who gave him space.

Looking at Rachel and her companions, Joe said, “We’ve all lost loved ones. My wife of thirteen years was killed when the bombs fell. Even with my healing magic, I can never bring her back to life.” He took a deep breath.

Before you realize it, you’ll be glad people like me and Mike are around to protect you, because, and let me make this clear; the war isn’t over.

Of course, the war’s over… there’s nothing left to fight for,” Terra muttered, rolling her eyes.

Joe sighed and looked across the bay, toward the wharf. “You’ll probably understand sooner than any of us would like.”

Rachel followed Joe’s gaze, then asked, “Are those boats?”

Yeah, they’re unmarked fishing vessels,” said Mike.

Shit.” Bruce folded his arms.

There’s nothing to be done about it tonight. Now, follow me if you want a warm bed for the night. If not, you’re free to wander back to UCSC in the dark. The Dungeon says she’ll keep you safe along the way.” Joe turned and walked through the gate, followed by his companions.

Rachel moved to follow Joe, but Mitch caught her hand, squeezing hard enough that it hurt.

Where do you think you’re going?” Mitch growled.

Don’t touch me.” Rachel glared at him.

Mitch’s left eye twitched as he stared down his nose at Rachel, then smacked her face, leaving her in shock.

He hit me. Rachel looked at Mitch with her mouth open and eyebrows raised as she felt the cheek where he’d struck her.

How dare you?” she whispered.

Mitch scowled at Rachel. “Fucking bitch. When I talk, you listen!

He drew back a fist to strike her again, and Rachel flinched.

Then Rihelah’s fiancé was just there, with his hand around Mitch’s neck, before Rachel understood what was happening.

Mitch released Rachel’s hand to clutch at his throat as Michael calmly lifted him with one hand.

You’re not too bright, are you?” Michael asked Mitch.

Set him down, Michael.” Mike approached.

Sure, Dad.” Michael dropped Mitch, who crumpled a second time, gasping for breath.

Michael returned to Rihelah’s side.

Let me make this perfectly clear—while you all are here, don’t attack anyone. I don’t give a shit what your reason is—whether you’ve hated them all your life, or if you think you’re hot shit and you like to bully people half your size like this pissant—no reason is good enough to warrant violence. If you harm anyone in this place, you’re going to wish you hadn’t.” Mike’s hard tone chilled Rachel’s blood, but his words resounded in her heart.

Terra jabbed an accusing finger at Michael and hissed, “That asshole just choked poor Mitch half to death minutes after his stupid hussy broke Mitch’s jaw. No violence? That’s rich, coming from a combat-loving psychopath who just threatened us wit—

Mike cut her off. “Shut the hole that makes the words. You’re way out of your depth here. Mitch attacked Michael. Fuck around and find out. We won’t attack you, but if we are attacked we will defend ourselves by whatever means are necessary. Do I make myself clear?

Terra glared at Mike.

Chuckling, Mike said, “I’m not the one you need to worry about. There’s a Dungeon underneath us, and if anyone manages to piss her off, she’ll make warmongers like me seem tame.

Terra worked her mouth a few times. Rachel knew she was about to lash at Mike, but Rihelah spoke first.

Be quiet and listen while this stupid hussy tells you something that could save your life. The Dungeon was a professor from UCSC, but she’s not like she used to be.

What is she talking about? This is all so weird.

Rachel took a step back but jumped as she bumped into someone. Mitch stood behind her, glaring at Michael and Joe. He pushed past Rachel without sparing her a glance.

What the hell? Rachel stumbled but kept from toppling over.

Terra inhaled sharply through her nose and scowled.

Rihelah continued, “You weren’t there to see what she’s capable of, and you should be glad you missed it.” Rihelah’s pretty face contorted.

I like her better that way.

If you make Professor O’Connor mad enough, she could murder everyone here before she regains control.” Rihelah stared hard at Rachel’s group.

[Not make Mommy mad.] [Mad Mommy is scary…] The dogs whined.

Ciara O’Connor? I took a biology course from her. Magic. Dungeon. Nuclear apocalypse. Talking dogs… What the heck is happening?

Rachel wavered on her feet, blinking with a furrowed brow as Greg Martine spoke up.

Hah. That sounds like a load of shit. Professor O’Connor? She taught my bio lab. She was a cute lady—timid as a mouse. Ciara wouldn’t hurt a mosquito,” said Greg.

It does sound like a load of shit, doesn’t it?” Joe mused. “Well, whoever’s brave enough, you’re welcome to come along with us and see the Dungeon for yourself.”

Joe’s eyes narrowed as he took a step forward, causing the UCSC crowd to lean back, including Mitch. “But you’d better pay attention. Anyone who thinks they can get away with violence should leave right now, for their own safety.” Joe’s confident, unblinking gaze landed on Mitch, then he turned to walk across the harbor bridge with his companions.

Rachel’s heart jumped at Joe’s words as most of the others from UCSC started across the bridge as well. Mitch’s hands slipped beneath her armpits as he reached for her breasts, but Rachel shook him off, running to follow Joe instead.

Mitch spat, “Rachel! Are you fucking serious? You wanna follow that cocky old prick like some ugly duckling? Fine. We’re through.

Rachel seethed as she thought about what had happened.

You knocked me over twice on your way to flirt with Rihelah, insulted her man and tried to steal her from him right in front of me, then threw a fit when you couldn’t have your way. And now you insult me when I do something for myself?

Fuck you, asshole.

I don’t feel bad for cheating with Bruce.

Then again, I never did feel bad about it.

You’re a piece of shit.

Whatever, Mitch. You never loved me anyway.” Rachel waved him off, not bothering to look back.

Joe’s big, he’s gorgeous, he has magic that can heal people, and unlike Mitch, he’s against violence.

She rolled her eyes as Mitch had another tantrum behind her and she ignored him.

What did I ever see in that prick?

Rachel knew the answer, but she no longer cared.

Your looks can’t keep me anymore.

The dogs growled, and Joe turned abruptly to race past Rachel. By the time it registered that Joe had moved, Rachel heard a sickening snap, followed by Mitch crying out in pain behind her. But his wail moved into the distance above the harbor.

Rachel turned to find Joe spinning to a halt as Mitch’s switchblade clattered to the ground at her feet.

Rachel, are you okay? Mitch didn’t cut you, did he?” Bruce staggered forward, but Joe stopped him with a hand.

Everyone else stared open-mouthed at the knife.

Mitch was gonna stab me? Rachel’s face went numb.

The sound of a splash came from the harbor channel toward the ocean.

Sorry, I was a little rough,” Joe said as he retrieved the blade. “I gave that kid a chance, but attacking innocent people with weapons is where I draw the line. His arm’s busted, and I’m not healing him again.”

He’s not moving,” said Rihelah. Everyone rushed onto the bridge to look over the railing.

Mitch’s limp body floated face-down at the center of a series of circular waves. After a tense moment, he struggled to right himself, then screamed as he kicked toward the shore.

That son of a bitch. He was trying to stab me!

Holy shit.” Bruce turned toward Joe. “You threw Mitch like a hundred feet… sideways.

Moron,” a woman whispered dismissively beside Rachel.

Come on, Siobhán,” said Rihelah. “There’s no need to think about that guy anymore.”

The Dungeon has declared Mitch persona non grata. He’s no longer welcome here,” said Joe.

Joe protected me when Mitch tried to stab me. Instead of hurting him, Joe just threw him in the water to cool off. Is this guy for real?

Rachel stared after Joe, stunned as her heart thumped in her chest.


Floors: 2

Minions: 222/240

Residents: 12/12

Denizens: 61371

Traps: 6/10

3