Adventure 179 – Devour
53 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Liam slowly opened his eyes as the sound of birds chirping entered his ears. In a daze, he stared up at a dark blue ceiling that felt both familiar and unfamiliar to him. He blinked a few times to clear up the haze that was clouding his mind. As he tried to remember where he was he slowly pushed himself up and looked around at his surroundings.

It took him a couple of minutes as he looked around inside the tent he was in. After realizing where he was, all the memories came back. Before he went to bed, Naro helped him set up his tent and place the cot he gave him inside it.

Liam stretched his body to test the soreness and was glad to feel it had all gone away. After he was done he noticed a note pinned next to the door of the tent. As he went to grab it he noticed a container resting on the ground. Curious, Liam grabbed both and sat back down on the cot.

The note read, “Liam, I’m heading out to take care of some things. I made some breakfast and placed it in the container. Make sure you eat it all. After you finish, go ahead and take off the bandages. Your wounds should be healed. After you finish that do some stretches. You might not feel any aches or soreness, but it is still good to stretch. I’ll be back later tonight so make sure you don’t get into any trouble today. Sincerely, Uncle Naro.”

Liam shook his head as he looked down at the container. He opened it to see steam slowly rising from scrambled eggs, two strips of bacon, and diced up chunks of what he believed was cockatrice meat.

He was amazed at what he was seeing. He didn’t know how long it had been sitting in the container, but there was no sign of the food contents cooling down or heating up. It looked like it remained at the same temperature.

“God I wish we had magical items like this back on Earth,” Liam quietly whispered before pulling out a fork from his inventory. He grabbed a healthy portion of eggs and took a bite and tasted some seasoning had never had before. He felt the warmth of the food and the taste fill him.

After he swallowed, a notification suddenly appeared.

 


“Congratulations! You have received Food Buff – Inspirational Reach. +15% to Mind Stat Intelligence Sub-stats: Knowledge and Mental Absorption. Time till Buff disappears: 2 Hours.”


 

Liam’s brows rose as he stared at the notification. He wasn’t expecting a buff like this from eating food. He wasn’t sure how this happened, but he guessed it had to do with the Mystical Seasoning section from the Chef Craft.

The more time he spent with Naro the more he was astounded by what the Chef Craft was capable of. Even though he didn’t want to pursue this craft to reach its heightened glory, he believed he shouldn’t slack on it. He could at least get it high enough to make certain buffs to help him out whenever he couldn’t get his hands on someone else’s food that could make these Buffs.

After he took another bite he noticed the timer reset.

So, it refreshes as long as I keep eating it? Maybe I should save some for later to keep refreshing this buff after it disappears? Liam thought as he took another bite. He then saw a new notification appear and read it.

 


“I wouldn’t do that. – Eri.”


 

Liam swallowed his bite and responded to the text. Why not?

 


“Two reasons. First it is rude to not fully eat the food that was made for you. And secondly, the timer to keep the food fresh on the container will run out within the next ten minutes. The freshness of the food will deteriorate and so will the buff that comes with it. – Eri.”


 

Liam frowned at that. Of course, there would be checks and balances to something that could be so useful. He shook his head before taking another bite and responded, That’s stupid. But oh well. You’re right that it would be rude to Naro if I didn’t fully eat this. I have to ask though, why this buff?

 


“That kind of buff helps with absorbing new Knowledge when you’re reading Knowledge Theory books. It helps as well as trying to gain new abilities and skills or when practicing current ones you have. It helps stimulate the mind to be inspired to learn more. He probably did this to help you out with those two Knowledge Theory books you were reading. The one he gave you and the one your Blacksmithing Mentor gave. – Eri.”


 

Liam nodded as he understood what she was saying. Naro made sure this buff was added to the food to help him get farther in his studies. He then thought about what else she was saying. If it helped with gaining new abilities and skills as well as practicing current ones then maybe there was a possibility that it could…

Hey Eri. You said it affects abilities and skills as well right? Then could it help me gain enough knowledge to gain an ability from a Focus Point I haven’t unlocked yet? Liam inquired.

 


“Oh? I think the buff is already working its part if you’re asking that question. Yes it can help in that regard. Do you have one in mind? – Eri.”


 

Yes. Liam started. My Affliction Focus Point in my Field of the Lunar. I wasn’t able to unlock it because my knowledge on Lunar Magic was too low. I know my Knowledge Theory – Basking in the Lunar is almost at fifteen. I was thinking that maybe I could take advantage of this buff to reach to fifteen and that it could help me unlock it.

 


“Hm…That’s not a bad idea. In that case I think you should wait till the buff is almost gone before trying to attempt it. Try to focus on raising your Knowledge Theories on not only Magical Enchants and Runic Knowledge, but start on the Chemicalized Creations and raise your Lurking in the Shadows as well. Your aim should be level five in the crafting ones then get both your Shadow and Lunar to fifteen since they both are close. You should be able to gain something from each of them if you study as hard as you can. – Eri.”


 

Liam nodded in agreement with her advice. He would need to try and to gain as much as he could with the time he had. He was able to get both the Knowledge Theories Runic Knowledge and Magical Enchant to level two last night before he couldn’t keep his eyes open any more. With this buff, getting them to level five shouldn’t be too hard.

He wanted to use the buff to help him out with the skills and abilities he had gotten from his new class, but he needed to find a secluded place to practice them. Going into a dungeon by himself would probably be the best place to do that. A sudden thought popped into his mind as he thought about his new class.

Hey Eri. I have a question that I think you might be able to help me with. Liam started.

 


“What’s up? – Eri.”


 

During my fight with the Zombified Hobgoblin, I tried to use Spirit Weave and it deactivated due to my Spirit Pool reaching zero. Liam explained as he looked at his Spirit Pool to make sure it was still unreplenished. It was still sitting at zero. I thought it would replenish on its own like my health, mana, and stamina, but it didn’t. Do you know why?

 


“That’s interesting. If it hasn’t replenished nor showing any signs of replenishing then there could only be one reason as to why that could be the case. – Eri.”


 

Liam waited for a few seconds for Eri to elaborate, but she didn’t say anything. After realizing she wasn’t going to say anything more, Liam prodded. Which would be?

 


“Hm? Oh, sorry. I thought you would have realized the answer. The reason why it isn’t replenishing is probably because you don’t have a Spirit Recovery Sub-stat. – Eri.”


 

Liam stopped eating for a moment as he stared at what Eri had said. He brought up his Sub-stats and looked them over. He went directly towards the Recovery Sub-stats in his Spirit Stat section and noticed she was right. However, he did have something new in that Attribute section.

 


“Spirit Stat: Unknown (Locked).”


 

Not this bullshit again. Liam thought as he stared at it.

 


“I can’t fully remember, but didn’t you receive a notification stating that the reason why it is Locked and Unknown is because you didn’t fully meet the requirements? Maybe that’s why you didn’t get a Recovery Sub-stat for it even though you received that Pool? – Eri.”


 

Liam frowned. Yeah I remember that. How is that possible though. Why did I receive something like a Spirit Pool, but not a way to replenish it? It seems kind of counterintuitive don’t you think?

 


“It does feel that way, but who said you didn’t have a way to replenish it? Maybe the normal way isn’t available to you, but there could be a different one. – Eri.”


 

Liam’s brows scrunched as he read what Eri said. What do you mean? Do you know of a way?

 


“I don’t fully know, but think about it this way. What are the ways to refill your Health, Mana, and Stamina? – Eri.”


 

Liam thought about it. As he mulled over the question he replied, well there are spells for Health and Mana that I know of. Not sure if there are for Stamina, but I wouldn’t put it past magic.

 


“What else? – Eri.”


 

What do you mean what else? Liam asked as he thought about it. As soon as he asked this an answer appeared. Do you mean potions? Are there potions to replenish a Spirit Pool?

 


“If a Spirit Pool is like your Health, Mana, and Stamina bars, then there should be a potion that can be made in order to replenish a Spirit Pool. – Eri.”


 

Liam’s eyes widened as he thought about it. Eri was right. His Spirit Pool was a resource to him just like his other ones. So, if there are potions for Health, Mana, and Stamina…then there sure as hell should be one for a Spirit Pool. The thought of one being a possibility made him excited.

Eri, do you know how to make a Spirit Potion? Liam asked as excitement started to leak into his thoughts to her.

 


“Unfortunately, I do not. I haven’t heard of one ever being made. – Eri.”


 

The excitement Liam was feeling suddenly wavered as he read her message. It had almost completely diminished until he read the next message.

 


“However, that doesn’t mean there isn’t one. You’ll just have to experiment till you can figure out the recipe. It might also be tied to the whole Soul Crafting we were talking about the other day. – Eri.”


 

That’s right! Liam exclaimed.

He remembered the conversation he and Eri was having the other day about the Lost Craft, Soul Crafting. He had Anima Forge that would help him forge Spirit orbs into a completed crafted weapon, armor piece, or tool. Maybe if he used that ability he could learn how to make potions that could help replenish his Spirit Pool.

As he thought about it his excitement dimmed again. In order to use that ability, he would need his Spirit Pool to be replenished.

Damn it. Liam started back up as he wracked his brain. There has to be a way in order to replenish my Spirit Pool that doesn’t require me to use any Spirit Pool points. Potions would require me to consume it after it was made, but other than that…

 


“Liam that’s it! – Eri.”


 

Liam’s brows scrunched as he looked confused. What’s it?

 


“I’m not entirely sure if it will work, but there is a chance you might have a way to replenish your Spirit Pool for now. – Eri.”


 

Liam felt a bit hopeful as he read the message. He didn’t want to get too hopeful, but he couldn’t help himself as he asked, Tell me. If there is a chance then I will try it.

 


“Well, when you talked about how you need to consume a potion, I thought about an ability that you have that is kind of similar to consuming… - Eri.”


 

Liam’s eyes slowly widened as he thought about what she was saying. You’re talking about my Devour ability from my Secondary Class Shadow of the Devourer…but isn’t that sealed?

 


“Your class is, but you have access to the ability. What makes me think that it might work is the fact that the first thing you Devoured was a Spirit type creature. So maybe if you devour one of the Spirit Orbs you have then maybe you can replenish some or all of your Spirit Pool? – Eri.”


 

Liam thought back on the notification he had received when the ability had finished processing what it had devoured. As he thought about that, a question formed. If I am able to use the ability on any of the spirit orbs I have wont it take a while for it to process? That one monster took quite a while just to process.

 


“It could or it could go by quickly. That monster it had first devoured was a pretty high leveled monster, plus the ability was level one when it was used. It is no longer that low of a level anymore though. After it had finished didn’t it reach level ten? – Eri.”


 

Liam perked at that. He had forgotten that as it processed the creature it had devoured it leveled as well. Back then he wasn’t sure what the ability was due to some anomaly obscuring the name, but after it had devoured that creature it fixed that as well as gave him a Hidden Class evolution, which fixed majority of his problems. He pulled up the ability to see what changes it had brought since he didn’t remember what they were.

 


“Devour. Level 10. Ability type – Instant. Description – Caster’s shadow expands and completely encases a creature. While encased inside the caster’s shadow the creature within is processed and devoured. After the creature is fully processed and devoured by caster’s shadow, caster’s resources will be replenished. Replenished resources are determined by level of creature’s soul orb. +5% to gain skills, abilities, stats, Fields, and/or a Seed related to creature being devoured. Caster cannot use Devour again while Devour ability is processing creature caught. Time to fully process and devour creature caught is determined by level of creature’s soul. Level 10 – upgrades – Can use Devour ability two times before having to wait for ability to finish processing. Processing has increased by 10%. Chances to gain skills, abilities, stats, Field, and/or a Seed related to creature being devoured has increased another 5%.”  


 

Liam stared at the description of the ability. While it did have a form of checks and balances, albeit little as it seemed, the ability seemed to be a bit overpowered. His first thought after reading it was that it didn’t say anything about the ability not being able to be stopped by any specific level or if it could be cancelled.

He was no expert on these things, but he believed there should be a way for something to either cancel the ability or the ability to not be able to devour certain leveled creatures. However, since it did not say anything in that regard he wasn’t sure. He needed to test this out, but he wasn’t sure what he could do since it would reveal something that no one should know about.

The next thought he had was on the gains. To be able to have a chance to gain new skills, abilities, and more was just an insane thing. He wouldn’t need to train and study Knowledge Theory like crazy just to gain them. He could use this ability as many times as he could and just have the chance to get them.

Liam shook his head at the thought. That benefit was a trap. If he didn’t study or train then anything he gained would only be a hinderance since he wouldn’t know how to properly use it. Using the Hubris Aura as an example, the ability was useful, but since he didn’t have the proper Field nor the proper understanding of it, it just activated whenever it wanted and has caused more harm than good so far.

 


“It truly is a terrifying ability. – Eri.”


 

Huh? Liam muttered as he stared at her message. What do you mean?

 


“You’ll find out as you grow it. For now, I think we might have a lead on how to replenish your Spirit Pool. – Eri.”


 

We do? Liam asked as he reread the description. After reaching a certain part of the text he realized what she was talking about. After the creature is fully processed and devoured by caster’s shadow, caster’s resources will be replenished. Do you really think this will apply to my Spirit Pool as well?

 


“I think so, but I’m not entirely sure. Also, if it does I don’t know how much you’ll get or how long it will take since we don’t have any prior experience with it. I say try it on one of the weakest soul orbs you have and see what happens. – Eri.”


 

How do I do that? Liam questioned as he stared blankly at the message. I only have experience harvesting them. I have never tried pulling one out before.

 


“Try to make your lantern reappear. After that think about what soul orb you want and will it to come out. – Eri.”


Liam did as he was instructed after placing the container with what was left of the food in it right next to him on the cot. He thought about his Spectral Lantern and willed it to appear. It did so after a few seconds. He then tried to think about his weakest Soul Orbs that were inside until he realized he didn’t know what his weakest Soul Orb was.

Um, Eri… Liam started. I realize that I might be a bit late asking this, but what would be my weakest Soul Orb? I don’t think I have ever had the chance to figure that out before.

 


“That’s true. We have never talked about it before. It’s not common knowledge since the materials aren’t really used by almost all the classes that are known. Hm…I guess if there were any who would know that are still around would be Necromancers, but they rarely use them since the knowledge is usually used to advance to a Lich type class. However, Liches are no longer around except as Dungeon Bosses, but even they are super rare. There were other… – Eri.”


 

Liam was surprised at what he had read. He didn’t know that Necromancers could evolve into a Lich class nor that they only appeared as Dungeon Bosses now. The only Lich he had ever come across was that Hubristic Arisen Lich back on the sixth floor of the Black Tutorial Dungeon.

I don’t understand. Liam started. What do you mean Liches are no longer around except as Dungeon Bosses? If they are a class evolution for Necromancers then wouldn’t they still be around? Also what do you mean there were other?

 


“An excellent question. You see, Liches are a Hidden Class evolution. Just like how your current class, Hidden Class Evolutions have certain requirements that need to be met. For a Necromancer to become a Lich they are required to have two things happen that need to be met. One is they need to be blessed by a certain type of Deity. The other is…death. – Eri.”


 

Death? Liam questioned with some confusion. He also noticed Eri had ignored his other question.

 


“Yes. They need to die and be reawakened as an Arisen. So, I guess you can say they need to have a Race Change. A Race Change from a Living Being into a Sentient Undead one. However, the Arisen are no longer a part of this world that I know of. Like many old races, they disappeared many years ago. That’s why you only see them as Dungeon Bosses. Albeit, like I said they are super rare in those. – Eri.”


 

So, you’re saying that the Arisen were a race that was once a part of this world? Liam asked.

 


“Yes. However, we can save the history lesson for another time. If I were to make a guess as to what could be the weakest Soul Orbs you have try to compare the ones from the Small River Slimes and the Diseased Feeble Forest Goblins you killed yesterday. – Eri.”


 

Liam grabbed the Spectral Lantern and pulled it out in front of him. There wasn’t a lot of space inside the tent, but there was still enough room for him to stretch his arm out like that and still have a bit of space.

He stared at the lantern and focused on it. He focused his mind on the two Soul Orbs he wanted and tried to will them out. At first nothing happened. He focused even harder and tried pushing his will on the object just as hard.

Still nothing happened. He tried once more, even harder. He thought that maybe he was trying too hard, before the lantern started to glow inside. The light wasn’t as bright as it always was when he was harvesting Soul orbs, but it still gave that eerie green color.

As Liam stared at the light he noticed something else. It was rotating. No, not rotating. There were two lights swirling around inside. Before he could comment on it, the door on the other side of the lantern swung open and allowed the two Soul Orbs to float out and right in front of him.

The door to the Spectral Lantern closed and he allowed it to slowly return to his hip and disappear.

He assessed both Soul Orbs to get a better idea of them.

 


“Minor Soul Orb of Diseased Feeble Forest Goblin. Item type – Crafting Material (Spirit). Description – This Soul Orb was harvested from a Diseased Feeble Forest Goblin. Due to the level of the creature was when harvested, the Soul Orb harvested reached the second tier of level – Minor.”

“Flawed Soul Orb of Small River Slime. Item Type – Crafting Material (Spirit). Description – This Soul Orb was harvested from a Small River Slime. Due to how low the level of the creature was when harvested, the Soul Orb harvested could only reach the lowest tier of level – Flawed.”


 

Hm, so if I go by the description provided to me from assessing them, the lowest…tiered level… Liam thought to himself. He wasn’t sure if that was the correct way to say it. Of Soul Orbs would be Flawed and the next tiered level would be Minor.

He wasn’t sure what determined the result of the tiered level of the Soul Orb, but he could guess it might have to with creature’s level. He didn’t want to assume so he decided to hear Eri’s thoughts on it. Eri, what determines the tiered level of the Soul Orb? I want to guess, judging by the description, that it is the monster’s level, but what do you think?

 


“I think that might be an accurate guess. The only way for us to truly know is to test it out on monsters whose souls you harvest. But again, that is for another time. Since your Devour ability can be used twice. Use it on both of those Soul Orbs. – Eri.”


 

Alright. Alright. I get it. I’ll do it now. Liam stated as he focused on the two Soul Orbs.

As he focused on them he thought about how this ability worked. After a few seconds had passed he realized he didn’t know how to activate the ability. Normally when it came to his abilities, he had a vague idea on how it worked.

When it came to chanting type abilities, the chants filled his mind. When it came to instant skills or abilities he would think the name or think about the movements, but with this ability…nothing came to mind.

Frowning, Liam asked Eri, Do you know how to activate this ability? I’m not getting any hints or ideas on how to.

 


“What do you mean you’re not getting any hints or ideas? – Eri.”


 

Well normally I would have an idea or hint to how an ability I’m about to use works. Liam started. Since this isn’t a chant type ability there’s no chant. It’s supposed to be an instant type of ability, but I’m not getting any idea how to use it.

 


“*Frowns* That’s strange. You’ve used it before right? How did you activate it then? – Eri.”


 

He had used it once before back when… As he tried to think about when he used the ability he realized that he couldn’t remember when he had used it.

I don’t remember. Liam replied as he started to feel a bit worried.

 


“What do you mean you don’t remember? You had to have used it since you had devoured a creature. You even received the level ups for processing the creature your ability was devouring. – Eri.”


 

That’s just it. Liam started up as frustration started to fill him. I have no memory of ever using it.

 


“Do you remember what the notification said about the name of the creature was that you had devoured? – Eri."


 

Liam tried thinking about what monster the notification had said. He vaguely remembered it. I could be wrong but I think it was some Spirit…Wraith… I remember the words Prideful being there…

 


“Spirit of the Prideful Wraith? – Eri.”


 

Liam snapped his fingers as he replied, Yeah. I think that was the one.

 


“Hm…I don’t remember seeing one of those appearing in any of the floors after you and I had met. Did you meet any Spirits on any of the lower floors? - Eri."


 

Liam thought about the floors prior to the fourth. The third floor had a spider, a snake, and a bat. The second had a Withered Treant and some undead plant guy named Atlas I think. The first had an undead priest.

 


“It wouldn’t be any of those from the second floor and the third. However, that undead priest…It could have manifested from that creature. Wraiths are a form of spirit that have a chance to manifest from Undead Priests if they harbor enough dark energies when they are risen. Do you remember seeing any ghostly cloaked figures with the cloaks looking like they were made from blackish ghastly green smoke? – Eri.”


 

Liam thought about the description Eri had provided. He replayed each time he had fought the Undead Priest. He had fought him several times to get new armor pieces, but he didn’t remember ever seeing…

Wait… Liam muttered as a memory appeared.

 


“What is it? Do you remember something? – Eri.”


 

He did come across a creature like that on the first floor.

I did come across that creature. It was when I fought the Undead Priest for the very first time to get my starter class. After I defeated the boss monster I remember getting the notification that my starter class was being unlocked. Liam explained as his mind started to remember every detail of what had happened on that day. Shortly after that, the Spirit had appeared and engulfed me before I could do anything.

I remember being so exhausted from the fight that I couldn’t run or dodge it. I also remember pain…so much pain. My muscles tightened so bad that I could feel my bones vibrating. My health and stamina plummeted quickly. I don’t think I had any more potions left nor could I have checked since it took my all to try and fight the pain. I don’t remember much after that though since I lost consciousness.

 


“*Look of shock and surprise* Oh my…I…I don’t know what to say to that…I have never heard of any situations like that ever happening before. However, I think we now know why you don’t remember ever using the ability. – Eri.”


 

What do you mean? Liam questioned as he scrunched his brows.

 


“What I mean is, it must have activated on its own to devour that Spirit of the Prideful Wraith when it tried to engulf you. Something you need to know about Instant type abilities is some activate based off of your Will. Willpower is associated with emotions. Your emotions while trying to fight back the pain must have translated to your Will to survive. In turn it activated the ability. If you add in the fact that the creature tried to engulf you, your thoughts on that must have instinctively triggered the ability since that word is just another word for Devour. If we go off that then the answer to how you activate your ability is based on your Willpower. Focus your Will on what you want to do. Try it out. – Eri.”


 

Not entirely sure what she meant; Liam decided to try it out anyways. He focused on the two Soul Orbs still floating in front of him. He focused as hard as he could, trying to push his will into his thoughts as the single word repeated in his head. He thought about wanting to devour the Soul Orbs. How he needed to Devour them and replenish his Spirit Pool.

Devour. Devour. Devour. Devour.

The first few times nothing notable happened. Feeling both frustrated and a bit angry, he was going to give up and try to come up with a new strategy when he felt something hidden deep within him stir.

It was subtle at first. It started around the core of his very being. Like something that was in a slumber that was slowly starting to wake up. As this feeling started to grow he grew alarmed.

A cold sensation started to slowly wash up from his feet. As soon as the feeling started to creep up, whispers started to tickle the edge of his mind. They were quiet and he wasn’t able to make out what they were saying.

Not sure what was going on, Liam decided he was going to stop and ask Eri. However, the sensation didn’t stop as the feeling within him started to swim through his veins. He could hear the word he was repeating in his mind still repeating and went to stop saying it within his mind and realized he wasn’t the one repeating it.

The voice in his mind sounded like his, but as it kept repeating over and over, it started to change. While keeping the same sound, an ethereal primal tone started mixing within the voice.

As the single word repeated the word over and over, he noticed the edge of his vision start to darken. No, saying it had darkened wasn’t correct. He was still able to see things. The colors, however, had started to invert instead.

Liam tried to move his hands to his head but didn’t move. Panic started to fill Liam’s mind as he realized he wasn’t in control of his body any more. His voice, his body, his vision, he had no control over them.

 


“Liam, calm down. I know that you’re panicking right now, but don’t worry. Your ability is activated and doing what it was supposed to. Just let it finish. – Eri.”


 

Don’t panic? How the hell am I not supposed to panic when my body is not listening to anything I am trying to tell it to do! Liam thought as he tried to scream it at Eri. However, he felt that his thoughts didn’t reach her, and he even felt they were drowned out from the single word being repeated over and over with the whispers that were escalating in volume.  

Resigning himself to just let it keep going, Liam listened to the voice. At first it had sounded desperate, but as it kept repeating over and over, that desperation had turned to annoyance. Then it had turned to frustration. Now it sounded pissed.

Heat started to mix with the cold sensation that had now reached his chest. A crimson color started to cover the two Soul Orbs while his entire vision was being inverted.

He then felt his hands start to rise from his sides. They had stopped as his elbows bent and rested but his ribcage. Then something appeared in the corner of his eyes. The thing he saw was slowly creeping down his biceps, keeping at the same pace as the sensation he was feeling covering his body. As the things he saw made it to his forearms, Liam was able to get a better view of what it was.

They looked like shadowy raven black smoky tendrils. They snaked and wrapped around his forearms, making their way to the palm of his hands that he now had open and facing up. The tendrils started to split down the middle a bit and opened up, starting from the tips. Black liquid ran down what Liam was able to recognize as razor sharp fangs. Some of that liquid fell off what Liam believed were their chins and disappeared into a puff of smoke.

These tendrils had mouths. As they rose vertically like snakes eyeing their prey, they bared their teeth and growled. Liam watched as the two toothy tendrils slowly swayed left, right, left, right. Then without warning they struck, with their mouths wide open and snatched the two Soul Orbs in their mouths and swallowed.

As soon as the Soul Orbs disappeared within their mouths, the voice, the whispers, his inverted vision, the sensation that covered almost his entire body… all of it puffed out into a pile of smoke and wafted away into nothingness.

1