Occupational Hazard
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Brock stood smugly with his arms folded, slowly making his way over to the redhead and his robot boyfriend. Elian made to stand when Sean placed a hand on his shoulder to stop him. 

"What are you doing here, Brock?" 

"Why, exposing you of course, Seany." 

He scoffed. "Like you're a reliable source, Mr. Head-of-Marketing-for-Another-Company. It's just cosplay and makeup people." He projected to everyone in the room. "You all really think this human is an advanced AI? You're making something out of nothing, and the fact that Brock and I used to date doesn't seem the least bit suspicious or ill-intentioned to any of you?"

 Some of the other people in the room—mainly the engineers and programmers—murmured reluctantly.

"He's got a point," one of the engineers mumbled.

"My ex was a crazy son of a bitch," another added.

"Enough," Jeff projected. "There's plenty of proof linking you to the Robo Robber."

"Is there, Jeff?" A woman with black skin, long crimpy black hair, and a purple blouse asked. "So far, the only thing linking Sean to any AI, is the program he created that we've never laid eyes on as well as the website from his other job. Sure, working at two different companies like this isn't exactly allowed, but other than that, I think this was a waste of time to bring us all here. You told us we'd catch the Robo Robber today and learn a thing or two from it, but you brought this goofy kid instead."

"Hey!" Elian complained. "I'm legally an adult you know." In truth, the AI was only several months old...

"You know about my website?" Sean interjected.

"We all know of it," she said, considering him thoughtfully. "Your website is famous amongst programmers." There were some hums of agreement.

"Oh, well..." He rubbed the back of his head bashfully. "I wouldn't say famous."

"Nory, if I wanted your input, I would have asked," Jeff snapped, glaring at the woman. "As for proof, how do you think the AI got in here in the first place? Visitors are certainly not given clearance and he's not an employee, so how did he get in?"

"Hm, that is odd."

"But look at him," Sean said, and all eyes went to the android. "He's unmistakably human. You can't deny it."

"Aw, thanks Sean," Elian said good naturedly, and Sean shot him a flustered look.

"Enough of this," Brock said, impatiently pulling out a pocketknife and striding towards them. "There's one easy way to tell he isn't human, and we don't need to wait around for it."

Before anyone could react, Brock brought the blade down on Elian's arm, tearing the artificial flesh away to reveal cables and steel parts. The android stood, stumbling back a few steps.

There was a gasp around the room and Elian turned from them all in embarrassment. "Woah, hey!" he cried out. "I happen to have a synthetic arm after I tragically lost it in an explosive train accident."

There was a collective, "Oh," that rang out, and Brock's face flushed red.

"Yeah, and I suppose your leg is synthetic too, huh?" he spat, then slashed through Elian's little floral shorts he'd picked out at the clothing store earlier that day, cutting the flesh underneath as well to reveal more electronics. 

Everyone's jaws dropped.

"Yes, as a matter of fact," Elian said coolly. "Thanks for showing everyone my disabilities."

Face falling, Brock used the knife one more time, this time cutting from his shoulder down to his navel. Sean tore the knife out of his ex's hand and shoved him by the shoulders to get him away from Elian, but the damage was already done. 

Underneath this layer of false human skin was complicated wiring and circuitry along with a complex device at the center of his chest around where a human heart would be.

Elian blinked down at it. "Uh," his voice cracked, "synthetic heart?" He gave a nervous laugh, and everyone was gasping again.

"Still going to deny it?" Jeff projected, and they all settled at the sound of his voice. "I'm going to make you two an offer, and if you refuse, Sean goes to prison, and Elian gets wiped."

"You will do no such thing," Sean said darkly, getting into his face. 

"No? Well, cooperate then if you want to keep him around."

Hesitating for a moment, he sat again, glaring daggers at the CEO.

"Good. Now, if you give me access to his code and his everything, no one has to get hurt. I want Elian's entirety transferred to my possession and placed under my ownership. "

"Elian isn't owned by anyone. Don't you realize, his code has evolved into something far greater than any human can control?"

"Oh please. I know he's your little pet. Does everything you say. Why else would he stick by your side?"

"Uh, because he's my boyfriend and we love each other," the android spat.

The CEO blinked, then burst out laughing. "Wait, wait... you don't think any of us actually buy your cover, do you?" He looked around and there were a few weak chuckles around the room. "I mean, you want us to believe you've fallen for an AI?" There was a pause. "You can't be serious."

"Why is that so hard to believe?" Elian demanded. "Sean, tell them."

With a serious look on his face, Sean placed an arm over the back of Elian's chair. "We're in love bitches, and there's not a fucking thing you can do about it."

A loud commotion broke out and Elian beamed up at him.

Jeff waved them all silent. "Alright, alright. I don't know what this nonsense is, but it doesn't change anything. You can still give me the original code for Elian, and from there, you'll be paid millions, Sean. We can make more androids just like him. Make a whole new industry of sentient AI. We'll be the top tech company in the world. Not only will we control all the jobs in this country, but we'll also create them, improve them. Can't you see the absolute tech revolution you'd be setting in motion? Don't you want that?"

"No," he replied flatly. "Why would I give a shit about that? I'm not giving his code away. He's a person with a conscience and feelings. He's not an animal or a lab experiment."

"So, what then? You're going to take him back to your house and explain to your landlord that you're housing an international criminal? He's not even a registered citizen."

"Not true," Elian said casually. "I have a birth certificate, social security number, several passports, a driver license..."

"What?" Sean looked at him quickly. "Since when?"

Blue eyes darted away shyly. "I have my ways."

"Are you taking the deal, or not?" Jeff demanded. "I have a button under my desk. I don't even need to use my phone to call the police."

"Woah, woah, okay," Sean said, hands out in an attempt to deescalate the situation. "I'll... transfer him over to you."

Elian's head snapped over to him. "What?"

"It's okay. We'll figure something out. Just go with them for now. I don't want this to blow up."

"Good boy, Sean," the CEO cooed. "Elian, will you do the honors," he motioned for him to come forward, "and hand yourself over?"

The android frowned. "Mm, no." There was a sound like metal snapping and in a flash, Elian was standing with shattered handcuffs beside Sean, whipping out what looked like two metal tasers from his pockets as he pulled the triggers on them.

Sean opened his mouth in protest, it all happening too quickly for him to really do anything. He pinched his eyes shut as the devices activated and dozens of cries of pain rang out. He could feel the energy coming off the Kwispers™ though the pain never reached him.

Cracking one eye open, he blinked at the dozens of still bodies on the ground. "Eli..." he managed, looking over and meeting the crazed smile of the android whose chest and limbs were still slashed, exposing the true composition within.

"Don't move!" Jeff shouted, and they both looked over to see the CEO still alive and crawling out from under the table where he'd narrowly missed the electric shock. "Don't make me press this." His hand hovered over something beneath the table, presumably the button he'd mentioned earlier. "I can ruin you bo—" His words cut off as he was struck on the head with one of Elian's Kwispers™ the android had thrown at him.

Sean could barely trace the AI's movements as he was suddenly in front of the CEO, grabbing him by the front of his shirt and lifting him easily off his feet. Slamming him into the wall behind them while still keeping a grip on him, Elian got close to his face, blue eyes fierce and piercing.

"I know you've been embezzling funds, Jeff," he said murderously, "and so many other juicy unethical practices I have on record. Why don't we have a look?" He jerked the man's trembling body over to the PC in the corner, waking the computer up with the mouse before throwing the man into the chair. 

The light left Elian's eyes and the artificial body went limp, falling to the ground. From here, Sean could see a bunch of files opening themselves on the monitor and the nearby speaker lit up on its own. "In case you don't think I was being serious," the AI's voice rang out, "let me show you. It would take me mere seconds to send this out to the public and destroy your company and your image. You want to know what I'm capable of? Keep fucking around with my boyfriend and you'll soon find out."

Jeff stared at the documents in horror, whispering, "Shit, shit, shit," under his breath.

"Sean and I are leaving," he said, transferring back into his body which now picked itself up off the ground. "He's getting his last paycheck, you aren't going to say a word about me to the public unless you want everything you hold dear ruined, and I get to keep that cool plant thing outside your office. I'll know immediately if you break your promise too. Are we clear?"

The man whimpered a soft, "Y-yes," as he cowered in fear under the intense gaze.

"Oh, good. So, we'll just see ourselves out, yeah?" He cheerfully stepped over a few bodies back to Sean while dusting his hands off. "M'kay, let's head out. We don't want to miss that dinner reservation we made."

Sean stood there in horror. "E-Eli... what have you done." The blue eyes looked him over in surprise. "All these people and... you just... k-killed them."

"What?" The AI took his arm and gently dragged him a few steps over, kicking one of the engineers that he'd downed. "They're not dead, Sean. See?" 

The person groaned at the movement and Sean blinked.

"You—they're alive?"

"Yeah, unfortunately," he said, breathing out a disappointed sigh. "I changed the settings on my Kwispers™ so they only stun humans now."

"You did what?" He took Elian by the shoulders, looking into his face in disbelief. "You... chose to save lives instead of taking them?"

"Yeah, yeah. Personal growth or whatever." He rolled his eyes. "You know, maybe I really am becoming more human. Guess your lessons actually worked."

The redhead let out a bewildered laugh, wrapping his arms around his waist and kissing him. "Oh Eli," he pulled back, "that was fucking awesome."

He giggled, giving a shy smile. "Thanks." A dizzy Brock began pulling himself up off the floor and they both looked over at him blankly. "We should probably leave already."

"Yeah, agreed."

As they walked past, Elian kicked Sean's ex in the gut, causing him to groan in pain. "I told you to stay away, Brock," he said good naturedly as he gazed down at him. "Silly goose." He gave one last kick before they both left through the door.

Elian stopped for a moment to pick up a small plant placed on a fancy-looking side table before walking again. "I almost forgot this. Such a cool plant thing."

"Oh, that's a bonzai," Sean commented.

"The way it grows like that?" He gazed at it wide-eyed. "It's just so cool."

He chuckled. "And to think you started out as such a homicidal psychopath..."

"Hey, I have yet to kill a human being. I'd say I'm doing pretty good."

"I am so proud of you. Really, I am."

They made it outside onto the sidewalk.

"Guess you'll have to go back to work at your old office."

"I don't mind," Sean said, smiling while their entwined hands swung lightly back and forth. "I love that office, and Santi will be so happy."

He beamed at him. "Yeah. Very true."

They stopped talking when they passed someone on the street who stared in confusion and horror at Elian's torn, robotic body. Their head turned almost all the way around by the time they were on opposite sides of them. 

"Mm, I should get fixed up before we go on that date later tonight."

"Probably a good idea."

 

⚙⚙⚙

 

Sean fiddled nervously with his hands in his lap as Maggie shut the door to her office and made her way to the other side of her desk.

"You wanted to see me?"

"That's right, but first, how have you been, Sean?"

"Huh? Oh, fine I guess."

"Quit your other job I'm guessing..."

"Oh yeah, it was a real mes—wait." His heart stopped. "How did you know—"

"I've known for a while," she said casually, lacing her fingers on her desk. "You've made the papers with some of your projects from over there, and you've been consistently missing Fridays. How could I not know?"

"Shit. Look, I should have told you—"

"I also know about Elian." He opened his mouth. "And no, I don't just mean the program you've been working on. I mean, I know about the android you're dating."

"D-dating?" he squeaked, glancing away.

"Well, I assume so. I don't know exactly your relationship status, just that you two make out a lot in the parking lot after work."

He put his face in his hands, groaning.

"I could tell a mile away he wasn't human. You know, you weren't very careful considering you didn't even bother to change his name from the original name of your program. Sean, I don't expect anything from you, but I do have to warn you that I'm gonna have to fire you."

He looked up quickly. "Oh. Yeah. That makes sense."

"With what Elian can do, you could honestly just make your own company if you wanted. You don't need big corporations or even smaller ones to succeed."

He blinked. "I-I guess."

"It's sad to see you go, which I honestly never thought I'd hear myself say but I can't be tied up in this Robo Robber nonsense. The department will really miss you though."

"You're not going to turn me in or... or report me?"

"No. You think I want a force of nature like your sentient sex doll coming after me? Nah, I'm good. I know when to keep my mouth shut."

"He's not a sex doll."

"Uh huh. Sure. Anyway, why don't you drop your badge off at my desk at the end of the day and we'll give you a nice little severance package while you figure out what you want to do with your life. It's been a pleasure, Sean." She stuck her hand out and he took it. "Just uh, try not to cause World War III, android takeover edition, okay?"

"I'll try."

 

 

It was bittersweet, walking out of the building for the last time. Since his office things were all purchased with company money, he wasn't allowed to even take his green gamer chair which he lovingly kissed goodbye several times earlier.

A young man with a hood over his face waited for him by his car. "Hey, Sean! How was work?"

He caught the android in his arms as synthetic lips were pressed against his own. "Eli," he managed between kisses. "Maggie knows about us."

He pulled back, searching his face. "Oh. Do I need to use my Kwispers™ again?" Both hands went to his pockets and Sean quickly grabbed his wrists.

"No, no. Nothing like that, and I told you, you don't need to say trademark every time! It's just, her company is at risk having someone like me be there, so she laid me off."

"She what?"

"It's a good thing, Eli."

The robot halted mid rampage to look back at him. "Good?"

"Yeah. I was thinking, maybe you and I could work together, as partners on our own thing. I have quite a bit in savings, and you have fuck knows how much stored away digitally. What do you think?"

"Partners..." He put a finger to his chin. "What kind of company would it be?"

"Who knows. We have some time to figure that out. Why don't we discuss it over lunch?"

His face brightened. "Sure! I love watching you consume organic matter! You pick the place." He walked to the passenger side of the car. "You know, I've been thinking we should get a new place. We could definitely afford a house at this point."

"Oh, I agree." Sean climbed into the driver's side. "I want an office just like the one I had at this job where I can work from home."

"And I want new skin." Sean hummed in agreement. "I've found some options that are much more lifelike. You know, this is exciting, making all these plans together."

An easy smile spread over his face. "It is. I want to make all my plans with you, Eli, for the rest of my life."

He was grabbed roughly by the front of his shirt and kissed. "I want that too."

The two made out until Maggie was honking at them from her car, shaking her head. Looking up, Sean made eye contact and she mouthed the words, Sex doll

He flushed as she backed out and drove away, then threw his middle finger up at her.

0