Chapter 28
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two Kilometres away the scene was anything but joyful. The alarms had started half an hour ago and the troops at Fort Wellson were terrified. The last time they had sounded the Blood Elves had attacked, leaving only three survivors. Two of which were here now.

Lieutenant Cooper, her face badly scarred from her first meeting with the Blood Elves forced herself to stay calm. She was in charge of the first fire trench and she needed her platoon to hold their nerves. Her task was to wait until the Elves were nearly upon them before lowering the camouflage and opening fire at point blank range. This was not a job considered to have a high chance of survival, but she wanted to see the shock on the elves faces when her people opened fire. But mostly she really wanted to see the elves die.

 

General Wellson was not a happy man. He had an election campaign to run. There were many calls on his time, yet he was here, at this God forsaken fort being reminded of his past sins. Today was supposed to be a media interview where he was planning on implying a terrible secret about his rival. He did not know such a secret, but his campaign staff had sowed the seeds and today was deemed the optimal time for him to play his part.

That was until he was woken up four nights ago by a hell spawned elf placing its hand over his mouth and whispering in his ear that he would be here, today, all day. Deep down Jacob Wellson knew he wasn't a good man, but he was determined to tip the scales in his favour come his final judgement by seeing his God's plan's come to fruition on his home world.

Working on his next speech he was startled by the alarm. He didn't want to be here when the elves launched another attack. Surviving two caused enough tongues to wag, but a third? Especially as this time he wouldn't have the excuse of a broken down car.

Unless. Unless the elves were planning on helping him in his election campaign by having a fake raid that he could take the credit for defeating. That must be it. God must be using these monsters to boost his opinion ratings. Greatly buoyed by that thought he made his was to the top of central redoubt where he could be seen orchestrating the defence.

 

Private Angelo Overton was also feeling nervous. Having lost his sister during the last raid he had dropped out of college and joined the defence forces. He wasn't going to be taken alive, like she apparently was, but he was going to kill at least one of those bastards before he met his end. Seeing the great General Wellson strolling confidently towards the redoubt greatly boosted his resolve. The General had survived one encounter and been prevented from a second, by fate. Today he would lead the humans to victory.

 

Then the reports started coming in from the spotters. These were specialist troops assigned as companions to the snipers. Their job was to identify enemy leaders and talk their partners through eliminating them. For this they had the Mark Twenty Seven dual purpose sighting system. This highly magnified, wide angled viewing platform, allowed them to scan the enemy forces, at long range, and mark targets that would then be passed on to the sniper's scope as a priority. The sniper having a narrower field of view to better concentrate on his current target

"Whiskey Zero from Sierra Six-Two." The spotter from sniper team six calling the base command centre.

"Go ahead, Six-Two."

"Target force in sight. Looks like they're marching towards us." A bit of confusion in a voice usually devoid of emotion.

"Say again, Six-Two."

"Sierra Six-One. Can confirm they are walking in step." Team six's sniper with the more powerful scope was able to zoom in for a better look. "Also Targets look like they're wearing our uniforms. Over"

"Whiskey Zero from Sierra Three-One. Can confirm some of them are wearing our uniform pattern. Others appear to be in civilian clothing. Over"

The base commander, Major Sven Gunnardson, was not having a good day. The elves were a quick moving strike force that was usually attacking the second the humans saw them. This lot were walking in, making themselves easy targets for artillery and mortar fire. Sadly he didn't have artillery or mortars as they were usually useless against foe such as these.

"Whiskey Zero, from Sierra Four-One. Lead element appears to be carrying a white flag. Over."

"Sierra Two-One. Confirmed lead element has a white cloth on a pole."

What were these devils playing at?

Just then General Wellson joined the conversation.

"Why haven't you given the order to open fire, Major?" To the point, but totally lacking in military protocols.

"Sierra Six-One. Lead element is comprised of humans. Repeat. Lead element is solely human. Over"

Still this steady tide moved, slowly, towards the fort.

"All units. This is General Wellson." A bit of panic creeping into his voice. "Open fire and kill those heathens."

"Hold Fire. Hold fire. Whiskey Zero, here. Do not fire until I give the order."

"Sierra Zero to all Sierra call-signs. Hold fire." The commander of the sniper teams backing up the major.

"Alpha One-Zero, from Sierra Six-Two. Sending you image of second element." Jan Oh was a close friend and one of the few people that knew who Jane Cooper had mourned.

A click on her comms was all the confirmation Lieutenant Jane Cooper gave. She was too close to the enemy for any noise. The picture came up on her comms and she studied it. Looking back was a face she had given up ever seeing again. There was strain in the face, but that was definitely Lieutenant Joe Andrews.

"Whiskey Zero from Alpha One-Zero." Using the text system on her comms. "Second element is being led by a Friendly."

In her haste she had left the comms on an open channel. Everyone at the fort got that message.

"Alpha One-Zero, from Sierra Six-Two. Sending you image of forth element."

Shit. Typing was so slow.

"All units this is Alpha One-Zero. I can confirm Lieutenants Andrews and Wellson are amongst the targets. Am going to close."

"Alpha One-Zero, from Whiskey Zero. Hold your position. It may be a trap."

"A 1 0 K." Shorthand confirmation.

The next few minutes were the longest in Jane's life as she watched the dead walking towards her. As they got closer she could see that they were smiling and talking amongst themselves. These soldiers didn't look like they were being forced to march towards the base.

Looking at the images being sent by his sniper teams, Major Gunnardson could also see the apparent good humour amongst the approaching horde.

"Could they be being used as a human shield, Sir?" Asked Corporal Hazel Singh, one of the techs in the command bunker, and another who lost a brother to the last incursion.

Just then, the senior sniper added to the confusion.

"Whiskey Zero from Sierra One-One. Single elf spotted half way down the formation. She is un-armoured and appears to be being escorted by Sergeants Mantle and Singh, late of D Company."

"Sierra One-One. Repeat last." Hazel did not even realise it was her that requested the confirmation.

"Look for yourself, Hazel. I'd know that ugly mug anywhere."

"ALL UNITS FIRE!" Screamed General Wellson, at that point. The panic in his voice evident.  No one obeyed him.

"Whiskey Zero from Sierra One-One. Another female elf is with what must be the lead elements of F Company."

"Alpha One-Zero." Came a melodious and possibly amused voice. "Break cover and personally confirm identities."

Jane was half way out of her cover before she realised she did not recognise that voice. Nor had it identified itself, when giving her the order.

"Damn!" Was all she could mutter. She had given her platoon's position away and alerted the enemy.

Too late now. Raising her rifle to a ready state she approached the new formation. As she closed, she recognised Governor Micklewhite as the one holding the white flag, and next to him was her father. Though she only had eyes for one man at the moment and barely acknowledged the two of them as she passed. Soldiers smiled and waved at her, their joy evident. Bypassing them all she now ran to Joe Andrews' side.

"What do you know, Joe.?" She asked, still with her comms on the wide network.

Deliberately speaking in English, he answered.

"We're free, Jane. We're actually free. Zahra and Valna'a won our freedom in a duel and we're home."

With that he picked her up and planted a giant kiss on her lips. The effect was as though a dam had burst inside the two of them and they both stopped walking and just embraced each other.

His platoon parted around the two, cheering, and kept walking, as did Three Platoon. Most people had someone they hoped was still waiting for them, be it a lover or just family, and were pleased for the popular officer. It did not stop the obligatory comment of "Get a room, Sir" from the wags in the group.

Zahra was a little surprised when it was her turn to step round the pair. Joe struck her as a popular and dedicated leader, whereas Jane Cooper was a hidebound pain. Each to their own, though. She was in love with a Blood Elf. One who had played a major part in the last two raids here.

By the time six of the ten platoons of D Company had passed the two of them they awoke from their private world and stepped out of the line, and started jogging back to the front of Joe's platoon.

"Whiskey Zero from Alpha One-Zero." Jane called the fort as they ran. "Confirmed. These are the prisoners taken from the last raid."

"And the previous ones." Added Joe. "Or at least most of us."

"Alpha One-Zero. Can you let Lieutenant Andrews know that Colonel, now General Wellson is here." That voice again. This time with a grim determination.

"Identify yourself."

"Call me Echo One, or Valna'a"

Taking out her ear piece she handed it to Joe.

"Someone called Valnar for you."

"Lieutenant Andrews." Confirmed Joe. Not knowing who Jane meant.

"Joe, it's Valna'a. You're going to have to teach her how to say my name if you want me to come to your wedding." Valna'a was enjoying the humans' emotions at being home and they were making her a bit frivolous.

Joe stumbled and nearly fell at that comment. Fortunately he was nearly back at the head of his own platoon now, and could afford to slow to a walk.

"Welcome back, Sir."

"Aaah, you missed us." And other such comments greeted him on their return.

"As I was saying." Continued Valna'a. "Colonel, now General Wellson is here to greet you. Oh and Whiskey Zero is the call sign of the boss here." This was deliberately on an open frequency. She wanted Jacob to hear his doom approaching.

"Whiskey Zero, this is Lieutenant Andrews, Two Platoon, D Company, 3rd Castus Planetary Defence Regiment." No joy in his voice, now, only a grim anger, that caused all nearby to tense.

"Whiskey Zero. Go ahead, LT." Gunnardson had a horrible feeling that his day was about to get bad again.

"If Jacob Wellson is at the fort, please arrest him for treason."

"I can't arrest a general on your say so, Lieutenant." Oh shit.

"Then take him into protective custody, because there are more of us than there are of you and we will rip that murderous bastard apart, with our bare hands, if we get hold of him."

Jacob Wellson was not a brave man.

Jacob Wellson had no intention of hanging around to meet those he'd betrayed.

Jacob Wellson was, in fact, just exiting the fort, via the main gate.

Jacob Wellson never saw Valna'a's fist as it crashed into him, knocking him out.

Taking his keys off him Valna'a stripped him of his weapons and shoes before throwing them into the ditch. She then stamped on her erstwhile father-in-law's ankle, breaking it. With a concussion, broken ankle and no shoes there was no way this human was going to escape his fate.

Singing one of Zahra’s love songs to herself, she sat on the edge of the ditch, to see what other fun her new life had in store for her.

 

1