Chapter 25
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bringing his sword round for a killing blow, Korsephan, instead, collapsed as the stun bolts from a dozen rifles blasted into him.

"NO!" This time it was Valna'a's cry that echoed around the now silent arena.

Sprinting the short distance to her lover, she threw herself on the ground just as the arena doors flew open and Yslana and Saphie dashed into the arena.

Silence hung over the arena to be replaced by the mutterings of the crowd as the shock of the prince's attack struck them. The rules of combat were sacred, and applied equally to all. To strike a non-combatant was unbelievable.

Valna'a rolled Zahra onto her side and undid the fasteners on her bodice and pulling it off, she started checking the wound. By the time she had done this Yslana was by her side and pushing her out of the way.

Considering the blow and the lethality of her people's weapons it took Yslana a moment to realise there was no blood on the wound. There was a surprising amount of ablative gel though.

While her mistress concentrated on the stomach wound Saphie called up her powers and checked Zahra's head as it had taken a bash, colliding with the wall.

"She has a minor concussion, Mistress, and a cut on her scalp, both of which I'm dealing with."

"Minor internal bleeding and a ruptured spleen, this end Saphie. This will take a minute or two to fix. Hold up on waking her until I'm done."

A minute later: "Sorted."

"Ouch!" Was all Zahra got out before Valna'a scooped her up in her arms and smothered her with kisses.

"You stupid cow. You were supposed to be safe."

"I have no idea what happened, Val. One minute I was watching you playing dodge with whatsisname, then I was lying on the floor, staring up your nose."

A laugh rippled around the arena, as the technology for amplifying the sounds was still active and the whole crowd had heard the exchange. Sorting out Zahra's clothes, to cover her modesty, Valna'a helped her to her feet.

While this was happening other healers had stabilised Strayh'el and brought him over on a mobile stretcher, while guards had disarmed Korsephan, cuffed him and dragged him to his feet, before reviving him.

"SILENCE!" Bellowed G'Tan'a. "Attend the Clan Father's ruling."

"Valna'a of Clan Nightshade. You and your companion have been victorious in both your challenge and your defence. There can be no doubt, that by the laws of the arena, you have prevailed.

"The terms agreed yesterday shall be honoured.

"The slaves from planets 06ADH and 03DTU now all belong to you, and are yours to dispose of as you desire. Though all the costs involved in their upkeep and transportation from here is yours.

"The financial cost of losing such a number of slaves and their transportation to here will be bourn by Strayh'el and the estate of Korsephan."

Strayh'el looked a bit nervous at that. Then turning to her brother.

"Korsephan, Oathbreaker." An audible gasp from the crowd at that.

 "You have dishonoured the Arena, your family and the Clan. You are now, and for evermore designated 03AAA0001 and the property of the one you attacked. Any resources left over from your debt will revert back to the Clan."

Turning back to Valna'a.

"Instruct your companion what that entails."

"Any other matters, not relating to this event you can take up with Principae G'Tan'a. This episode is now closed. "

With that a curtain closed, shutting off the Royal Booth.

Elated, Zahra turned to Valna'a to be taken aback by the look of concern on her face.

"Val?"

Checking to ensure the sound system was off, Valna'a replied.

"It costs a lot to house and feed a small army of slaves. A cost the Clan usually absorbs as the benefit far outweighs the cost. The Clan Father has now put that burden on me. And I'm not sure I can afford it."

"You won't have to afford it alone, Valna'a." Interrupted her sister. "I will help pay on the condition that I can come with you."

"Why would you want to come with us, Princess?" Asked Zahra.

"I like your people, and want to study them. I also want to see how many others have the ability to become healers.

"Also, I don't want to stay here. As Valna'a said, being a relative of the Clan Father will soon be a dangerous occupation. My only option would be to fight to become Clan Father myself, and I don't have the right mindset for that.

"Your people have welcomed Valna'a as one of their own and accepted me as a friend, of sorts. My people would never do the same, in reverse. You will never be a member of the Clan and Saphie will never be tolerated, here, even as a healer. And, as a healer, I'm protected by your laws of war, according to Saphie.

"So I'm going to ask for asylum."

Zahra gave her hug in welcome.

"You're not a friend 'of sorts'. You are our friend and always welcome."

"Well as a friend, I'm going to hurry along the bureaucracy and get my friends back home as soon as possible."

With that group split up with Zahra, Saphie and Valna'a going back to their, now, temporary home in the prison and Yslana heading off to hurry the release along.

 

 

0