Chapter 8
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They reached the foot of a mountain outside the district of Lubi. Lily was panting, chasing after Arete and Han, but the two didn't seem tired from running.

 

"The lullaby stopped..." Arete said, still cautious around her.

 

"The three of us heard the lullaby but it didn't affect us..." Han mumbled, "Impossible... We are still the same people. Our bodies are functional..."

 

"Did you get tired right away? I know knights have high stamina?" Han said in surprise.

 

"I don't know why my stamina is low, okay?!"

 

"Arete, can I go out?" Faier asked, "I'm detecting unusual energy."

 

Arete was hesitant but agreed. Faier's spirit gradually formed, like smoke that also released a unique fragrance.

 

Han walked towards the right direction where they were standing. Arete just let him go and waited for the boy to analyze the unusual energy.

 

Faier's eyes widened, ".... The unusual energy is widespread... It is wrapped around the entire mountain, Arete."

 

Arete, "What?! How did that happen? Isn't that destroying the natural flow of the world?!" She clasped her hands together, "the flow of time will be broken and it will collapse like... Iryankka..."

 

Han, "Exactly."

 

Arete turned around, "Where is the landmark of the unusual energy, Han? Even though it is wrapped around the entire mountain, I know it has a starting point. It's like planting a tree. It has roots."

 

"Again, you're right." He ruffled her hair, "As expected of my adorable student. Faier, follow me." He starts walking away, straight this time.

 

"Yo-You! You know I hate my hair being messy!" Her ears reddened.

 

"I taught you about aura. You and Lily can investigate while we're away."

 

"Han, wait!"

 

"Bye~!"

 

Arete sighs and slouches her shoulders, "That selfish bastard... Let's go to the left path, Lily."

 

She and Lily walked, looking for clues. Arete is using her vision. A vision for seeing auras not for past and future. Han taught her various subordinates each skill. Before Han began his teaching, he subjected Arete to a test to find out her strength in various aspects.

 

The man learns that Arete is having complications when it comes to spiritual wellness. She gets sick easily and her body can hardly function so he just taught the subordinate about the past and future.

 

"... Do you see something, Arete? Suddenly it's cold in this part..."

 

"Mn. I see a thread of aura." She turned to where they came from, "it seems like the frequency of the unusual energy and this aura is the same... How cute."

 

"Huh?"

 

"It's like a force from the ground or earth and your physical body. By having contact with such a great force, you will notice some resistance or changes in the surroundings."

 

"... And that's aura?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"How is there resistance, Arete?" Lily answered, still surprised by Arete's words.

 

"Because the aspect of the physical body is different from the spiritual life." Arete follows the thread of the aura, "the reaction of our body begins with our mentality. When the energy you're giving to the surroundings is aligned, there's a chance you'll see with your own eyes the aura and energy that co-exists."

 

"You... You're so knowledgeable, Arete."

 

"The important things I want to protect... I want to hold on... That's why knowledge is power." She smiled at her warmly, then her eyes widened, "I heard something..."

 

Lily became defensive and in her fighting stance, "about the auras?"

 

"I heard people walking nearby..." Arete hide behind a tree. She signaled Lily to follow her.

 

They saw the people of Lubi district go to a temple. It was not far from where the two were standing. People walk mindlessly. Arete focused again so that her eyes could see the aura that was wrapped around the people who went to the temple.

 

She was no longer shocked because the thread of aura and unusual energy that Faier felt was wrapped around those people. The shape of this aura is a cloud with various strings attached to the human body.

 

"They were being controlled." Arete concluded.

 

"... Huh? Are you sure about that?"

 

"Even if you can't see an aura, what do you feel, Lily? The aura is subtle but when you focus your thoughts on the sense of touch, you will be terrified."

 

"....Should we go and check?"

 

"... We can fight but I think we should be practical first and go back to the place where Han was there. I'm sure those two are already waiting. I just don't have something to write or draw on because I need evidence when telling something to Han."

 

".... Doesn't he trust you, Arete?"

 

"He has confidence."

 

"Then why are you searching for one?"

 

"I'm the type of person that thinks everything I did isn't enough for other people." She laughs.

 

"....."

 

Arete started walking back to where they came from, "And the auras surrounding the temple aren't balanced. An abnormality. It's against the natural flow. There's indeed a mastermind."

 

"... Why..."

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Why is it so easy for you and Han to laugh at what you're going through? Why... Why do you laugh when you're hurting?" Lily bites her lower lip after saying that.

 

"....."

 

"That pain is not lessening. I know that the emptiness in your heart is getting bigger. Why do you have the inclination to torture your hearts?"

 

"Because that's the only solution for us to get used to one side of reality." Arete stretches her arms, puts them behind her head.

 

"It's unnecessary to hurt yourself, Arete..."

 

"I can see that you're also hurt but optimistic in life. Han noticed that too, that's why he lets you talk about the good side of it." She smiles.

 

They both walked silently. Lily no longer followed Arete's words. Throughout her life, she tried not to pretend because she would only be fooling herself.

 

She looked at Arete. Even though her physical body was close, she felt that she could not reach the girl and Han. The two accepted her as their friend but why does she perceive the boundary that was placed between them?

 

"We’re just going back to where we came from. The one that’s not too close to the temple." Arete said.

 

"...Huh?" She came back to her senses.

 

"We're on the opposite side of the temple." Arete pointed to the wooden gate in front of them. The barriers were high as if there was a civilization of its own inside the temple.

 

"... We followed where we went, didn't we?"

 

"Mn. Maybe the person playing the lullaby was around us when we saw the people coming here." Arete shrugs, "Well, we can enter this place now and find out if there's a curse or meet the mastermind."

 

"Isn't that dangerous, Arete? What if we get killed?"

 

"Don't worry. Han trained me when we helped you. Besides, I know martial arts too." She walked towards the wooden gate that was taller than standard human height.

 

"But Arete — Wait!"

 

"What do we do huh? Flip out our clothes so we can go back on track? We're not dealing with some entities here. I hope." Arete casually goes inside the temple, "I'm Arete! Anyone here?!"

 

"Temple is a sacred place, Arete!" Lily shakes her, panicking.

 

"Look at your front, Lily..."

 

Before Lily looked in front of her, around her were houses and shrines that had become old with time. Obviously no one lives in this temple. There is a large tree in the middle with a rope tied to its trunk. It's an equipment to attract spirits when doing a ritual and ceremonies.

 

"Arete.... I'm getting goosebumps..." She whispers.

 

"Stay by my side." Arete extends her right arm, as if protecting Lily from something.

 

"Greetings, ladies." Someone spoke.

 

Arete, "?!"

 

Lily, "MOTHER OF SWEETNESS!"

 

They turned to see a tall black haired man. He has red highlights and golden eyes. He wears long white sleeves robes without designs on it that is tucked in the blue loosened trousers. The man is standing on his feet.

 

".... We get lost and we see this temple." Arete answered hesitantly.

 

"Oh my. I just thought there were visitors at the temple. How reckless of me." The man chuckles, "I'm Leruji. The guardian of this temple."

 

".... I'm Arete. She's Lily." Arete smiled back.

 

"Nice to meet both of you fine ladies. This mountain where this temple stands is shrouded in curses and entities that oppose the light." Leruji put his hands under his sleeves, "Follow me. I'll serve you tea and tell you more stories about this temple."

 

"But those people —" Lily couldn't finish what she was going to say when Arete glared at her, making herself shut up.

 

"What people?" Leruji asked with a smile.

 

"We noticed when we entered here that there were many houses protected by the temple but there were no residents. Lily was just worried." Arete replied and gave Lily another glare before smiling at Leruji.

 

"Is that so? Follow me so you can rest. Based on what you're wearing, you're adventurers."

 

"That's right, Mr. Leruji." Arete chuckles.

 

Lily doesn't know why Arete's behavior suddenly changed. The girl was not that friendly. Especially, they saw that there were people who were mindlessly walking towards the temple and just disappeared.

 

"Just call me Leruji, Miss Arete. I hate formalities."

 

"For a priest, it's the first time I hear someone hates it." Arete jokes about it, "Just call us by our names too."

 

"For me, I'm still a person who does ceremonies to stop entities from creating chaos in this world." He bows his head slightly.

 

"Okay. Since we're tired from the journey, I'll guess we'll stay here." Arete clings to Lily's arm and drags her to follow Leruji.

 

They followed Leruji. Even if Lily wanted to speak, she couldn't. She didn't know what was stopping her. Arete's stares and smiles or the calm demeanor shown by Leruji.

 

Behind the tree in the middle of the temple, Leruji lives there. When they entered, they immediately smelled the scent of sandalwood.

 

"Good choice of incense, Leruji." Arete commented, "I have these back at home when I need my body to relax."

 

"Sit here." Leruji smiled, "Yes. According to what I have studied, sandalwood was the most beautiful and beneficial perfume back in the day."

 

"Yes. I've also done my research when I'm still studying. Sandalwood is from the Santalum tree that is considered as the most sacred tree in each world. It will be terrific to see one of those here." Arete and Lily sat on the pillow on the ground.

 

"You know a lot of stuff, Arete. I must give you a great impression of yourself." Leruji compliments her while brewing the tea.

 

"I loved reading when I was a child just to let you know. Kids at the orphanage will bully me for it but I didn't stop reading." She shrugs.

 

"You.... You grew up in an orphanage?" Lily said, almost whispering.

 

"Yeah. Didn't I tell you about it?"

 

"... No."

 

"So you don't have parents? That's unfortunate." Leruji's expression on his face became twisted.

 

"You don't have to feel sorry about my situation. They come and go. That's all."

 

"No children should suffer alone when they are brought into this world, Arete." Leruji's handed them the tea, "they made the choice to create you so they should take responsibility for it."

 

"I can... Agree with what Leruji is saying, Arete." Lily said.

 

"Their existence didn't really matter to me at this age. I lived without their support so I will die without having a connection and forget about them." She smiles at them, "Let's go back to talking about Sandalwood. It's refreshing and not toxic to talk about."

 

"All right." Leruji chuckles, "Since Arete knows this, I'll explain the benefits and other information to you, Lily. Is that alright with you?"

 

".... Yes. It's knowledge after all."

 

"That's the spirit I'm looking for! My, my. You've got an interesting comrade, Arete."

 

"You flatter us too much, Leruji." Arete laughs, but not too much.

 

"Hmm..." Leruji hums, "Sandalwood's powder-like substance can be used as a paste to apply it on everyone's forehead and face when doing ceremonies. For us, it's an instrument so Gods will see that we're serious and cautious about communicating with them."

 

Lily, "Religion is something that is shaped by beliefs or morals... It is part of our everyday lives and traditions..."

 

"Impressive answer, Lily."

 

"Although it comes with a great limitation to ourselves. As the elders say, it is harder to prove and maintain that you are a good person than to do something that will harm other people." Arete joins the conversation before sipping her tea.

 

"You're right as well, Arete." Leruji claps his hands gently.

 

Lily, "You said this mountain was cursed. What makes it cursed?"

 

"During the long time I have been a priest of this temple, the most common problems I have encounter are poltergeists. I am trying to understand their actions but they do not answer my call." He sighs.

 

"We saw that there were houses standing here. When you became the priest of this temple, didn't you experience any unusual activities?" Arete asked.

 

"Nothing. The tree you see outside is believed to have been built by the Gods to serve as a gateway to the living and the  dead.  It is also the protection of the temple from being corrupted."

 

".... This temple is haunted?"

 

"The only thing this tree attracts are spirits who are ready to go to the afterlife and reconcile." Leruji smiled.

 

Arete, "So the poltergeists you encounter are not from here inside the temple?"

 

"Yes. Since this temple is the only one protected from the poltergeist that lives in the mountain, I went out, trying to cleanse their spirits to find out their last request and they can cross to their destination."

 

".... If Lily and I can help you, just say so, Leruji."

 

"By the way... How did you get lost?" Leruji put his hand under his chin, ready to listen to what Arete will say.

 

"Well... The people in Lubi told us there's a supernatural activity happening in this mountain and it's because of a treasure. Well... I got greedy over it and followed what they said." Arete scratches the back of her head.

 

'The... She’s good at creating scenarios.' Lily thought to herself.

 

"We put markings where we were going in case we got lost and it happened. We couldn't find the markings and it led us to this temple." Arete added.

 

"That's what happened... Yes, since this temple is the only one who can receive cleansing from me, it's not affected by supernatural activities. You can stay here to help me in solving some problems and I'll pay you.  Don't worry."

 

"We have a deal then." Arete grinned widely.

0