Chapter 23
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My tears were overflowing every time I suffered,

I don't have any will to live,

Just let me be in this endless cycle,

No. Save me. I still want to live.

 

I didn't hide my pain behind a smile and a mask,

But why do I feel heavier than yesterday?

Did I lose my place in my own world?

Or did I let it happen because it doesn't matter anymore?

 

I tried walking into the light but I got swallowed by darkness,

I searched for the thousands of stars in the sky,

Asking if I deserve to live and if it's not, I'll die,

I hide and run away from it.

 

My tears were overflowing every time I suffered,

I don't have any will to live,

Just let me be in this endless cycle,

No. Save me. I still want to live.

 

The new reality I've made up,

The lies I have built over the years,

I want to erase my whole existence,

Just what am I going to believe in?

 

Since being born in this world I want a thing called freedom,

Terrified by my past, I want to break into million pieces,

Struck and destroy my heart,

And I'll express my gratitude towards you.

 

My tears were overflowing every time I suffered,

I don't have any will to live,

Just let me be in this endless cycle,

No. Save me. I still want to live.

 

Arete sang as she and Lobin walked to the middle of the district to determine the location of  the house  where the  five of them were staying.

 

"Your song is sad." Lobin commented.

 

She turned around, "Really?"

 

"Yes. It's like a prayer of someone who can't carry the burden anymore. They're exhausted and in pain."

 

"You got it. Amazing, Lobin."

 

"... Did you compose it with Xian?"

 

"... Yes. She didn't question the choice of my theme for the song. She encouraged me to follow what my heart says because —"

 

"People can relate deep inside. We're all connected."

 

"People can relate deep inside. We're all connected." Arete ends the sentence with a smile.

 

His eyes widened, "You..."

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Did she say that?"

 

"No? It's my own words. Is it pointless?"

 

"No. You're correct."

 

"If it comes from a God then I'm really correct!" She giggles.

 

"....."

 

"The carter says it's been a month since he saw us... Maybe the time went on when my body broke into pieces."

 

"Yes. It does affect the current situation since you're connected to Han. He put some tracker or some sort to check on the flow of your spiritual energy."

 

"It's in my belt. I know." She laughs, "I'm not that stupid, Lobin."

 

"But I lend you my spare clothes. I know he's going insane."

 

"Do you think so? He's totally cool with it."

 

"Remember the time you and Lily went out to investigate and never came back? He lost control of himself. Even Faier trembled because anger could be seen in Han's face. He released too much magic that time. You're important to him and trust me, even if he's acting like a clown, he wants you safe."

 

She was stunned. Then slowly, her cheeks became pink. She looks side by side, trying to form words to answer back but she held Crying Sun tight.

 

"That's why I believe he's in love again."

 

"... Impossible! Xian is irreplaceable! She's perfect like him!"

 

"And you're the opposite of my brat which balances the goodness and evil side of a person."

 

"You... Are you really the God of fire? You seemed like a matchmaker to me." She teases and looks away, smiling that Lobin said those words.

 

"Huh? Do you want me to smack your head or something?" He answered back, obviously offended at her statement.

 

"But... Thank you."

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Thank you for saying that..."

 

"Is that really rare for you to receive those words?"

 

"Yes."

 

"Well then. You're welcome. Balance doesn't ruin the flow of nature. May be it’s magic, politics, entertainment, and relationships. Remember that."

 

"But... I'm not sure if I'm ready to love someone like Han."

 

"Just focus on becoming strong first. Emotions are always there."

 

"I have two weapons. One is music. Two is spear. Maybe later world domination is what I'm looking for." Arete's joke.

 

"Then I will follow you."

 

"...Huh?" Her eyes moved to the side, looking at Lobin's red eyes, "What do you mean?"

 

"I will follow you. You're our leader now."

 

"But... But you know Han better than me! I'm still useless!"

 

"Useless? In what way?"

 

"I mean I almost died twice!"

 

"Recklessness is different from being worthless."

 

"Somehow you made it sound worse."

 

"Do I? I have a sharp tongue."

 

"Yeah. I figured."

 

"Arete. Do you hear yourself? Han welcomed you to his place because he saw  that potential in you. He found out, that's why he's guiding you as a friend and mentor. You need to embrace your abilities now that you want to lead a team. Remember, an immortal and a God are on your side. That's a big advantage for you. If you want to go on a war, we'll give you a hand. If you want to unite nations, we'll prepare gold and speeches for you." Lobin placed his hand on her shoulder, "Chin up. Don't look down and degrade yourself."

 

"....."

 

"You're a great leader, Arete. You can improve more. There's a fire inside you that is waiting to flare up and chase the fear away. Don't doubt your heart."

 

"... I'll keep that in mind, Lobin. Thank you."

 

Lobin smiled and ruffled her hair, "That's the spirit."

 

"You ruined my hair."

 

"I'll ruin it more if you stop walking beside us. Let's go. Let's greet and tell them Guxav's conditions."

They continued walking but the district was surrounded by uncontrolled hellhounds. They stopped walking, and observed how worse the situation was.

 

"The sun who served the God of fire, I order you to go back and replenish your energy, Crying Sun." A black hole appeared and took out the Crying Sun.

 

"Where did you learn that chant?" Lobin raises his eyebrow.

 

"Crying Sun is whispering to me those words." She sits down on the ground, removing the cloth that covers the guqin.

 

"Wow. That spear must be tired of me and immediately accept you as its owner." He moved his head, side by side, "We're surrounded. What are you planning?"

 

"I'm planning to calm this demonic energy for now. You can draw the hellhounds and revenants' attention here so they can turn into dust." She plucks each string, sliding her fingers to make a different sound. By listening to which one of the strings is out of tune, she fixes it and gives it another try.

 

"Are you ready?" Lobin summons his incense metal poles.

 

"Yes. Bring them here."

 

Lobin disappeared like a bubble. She heard a lot of yelping that caused a sharp pain in her head. Her ears were pretty sensitive to sounds.

 

"Up here!"

 

She began playing the notes after hearing Lobin. He already gathered the hellhounds and defeated the revenants in such a short time.

 

Water and wind had gone cold,

Again and again, I fell into your arms,

Not wanting to let go, scared that you'll fade,

But with your stubbornness, everything is fine.

 

My coffee at the window is still warm,

Your liquor on your lap is also like that,

Talking under the moon, understanding life,

Telling stories that will make healing fast.

 

With my guqin and your magic,

Follow my footsteps and run beside me,

Listen to what I say and hold my hand,

A silent acceptance between us is what I need.

 

Hellhounds fall from the sky. They froze as they continued to hear Arete's song. It sounded so soft and comforting but the effects of someone who has demonic energy will slowly get cleansed and turn into dust.

 

If the opponent isn't getting better at the treatment, it will be a torture for them and will be executed harshly.

 

Dying people, destructive past must be left behind,

But memories will climb on our mind,

Looking at you beautiful green eyes,

Let's discover the secrets of each world.

 

Resentment empties our heart,

But doing what's right will fill it up,

Again, The blade of truth will hurt,

But I will be with you until the end.

 

With my guqin and your magic,

Follow my footsteps and run beside me,

Listen to what I say and hold my hand,

A silent acceptance between us is what I need.

 

With my guqin and your magic,

Follow my footsteps and run beside me,

Listen to what I say and hold my hand,

A silent acceptance between us is what I need.

 

Lobin watches the woman playing guqin elegantly like an expert. She was sitting on the ground, full of the blood of someone or maybe something.

 

Her red eyes lit up like lightning, clearing the dark clouds surrounding the district. She repeats the whole song for three more times until she is sure that no one is left behind. Even a tiny trace of it.

 

Lobin went down, offering his hand to Arete, "Are you okay?"

 

"A little bit exhausted, but it's not bad like what happened when I used your fire through blood manipulation." She laughs softly and stands up with his help.

 

His other hand holds the instrument while she's wiping off the dust and blood on her skirt.

 

The district is much brighter than the last time they first arrived . The defeated hellhounds turned into humans. It's expected because they are cursed.

 

"Did you eliminate them?"

 

"It's temporary." She grabs her instrument and covers it again now the cleansing ritual is done.

 

"All right. I'll release the scent of incense." He unified it and started releasing the smoke, "smelling it will make you sentimental and thoughtful. The sense of smell is activated and your brain will create a scenario that is connected to your memories."

 

"You'll make them remember who they were?"

 

"Yes."

 

"Fantastic. I must —"

 

"Arete...?"

 

Her eyes widened and looked behind her. She  can't be wrong. That's his voice. Han's voice said his name.

 

The man's hair is back to being middle length, up to his shoulder. He has eye bags and eyes are pretty much emotionless.

 

"Han..." She said so quietly that it's almost a whisper.

 

Lobin smiles and taps her back and snatches the guqin, "go to him."

 

"I..." She looks so hesitant but still walks towards him.

 

"You're not a shape shifter aren't you...?"

 

"Han... It's me."

 

"....." He walked and approached her. He brushes her hair, that is a little bit longer, touching her cheeks to make sure it's not a dream, staring at her red eyes that knows no lies, "it is you.... Arete... You're alive. .." His green eyes went back to have their light and color. He found her.

 

"Did I take so much time?"

 

"Yes... Yes, you did."

 

"I'm sorry." Her cheek rested on his hand, feeling his warmth, "I fought against the creatures of the underworld."

 

"The ties... The —"

 

"The belt where you can sense my spiritual energy? Yes, it was destroyed. I was reckless and almost died again. I'm sorry."

 

He was silent for a few seconds, "It doesn't matter... You are here. That's all important now." He then hugs her tightly. Her usual sweet scent spread across his face and he loved it. He missed it.

 

She hugs him back, crying, "I'm back."

 

"Welcome back."

 

"I met Guxav." Lobin joins in the conversation. Swaying the guqin his arms like a baby.

 

"Way to go, Lobin. You're ruining the moment." Han expressed his annoyance towards his partner's action.

 

"Oh right... Where's little Faier and Lily? Harcla too."

 

"They're at the house, resting. We just fought hundreds of hellhounds." Still not letting go of Arete.

 

"All right. I'll leave you two behind. Anyways, I will put your guqin in the ground, Arete!" He runs towards the left direction to go to the house.

 

"... Guqin?"

 

"Well... I..."

 

Arete proceeds to tell him that she met Xian in the world of living and death. They made songs together and Xian's request is to make her song as Arete's so it could serve its purpose. She told him, she knows about his unrequited love towards Xian and some history of Iryankka.

 

"So Lobin tells you all of that huh..."

 

"... Yes. Are you... mad?"

 

"I'm not. I'm glad he told you." He smiles, tiredly, "I have a difficulty with saying those to you. I'm not a very open-minded or open book type of person."

 

"It's fine... We can learn more about ourselves here in Sera."

 

"You're so optimistic, Arete."

 

"Am I?" She laughs, "I guess so. Thank you."

 

"I'll be here whenever you need me, Arete. I promise."

 

"Aren't you tired from comforting me, Han?"

 

It was as she said, comforting her did take a lot of energy from Han. But it gave him a sense of purpose, a sense that he wasn't so worthless after all. He saw that she was alive. That's all it matters for now.

 

"Tired..? No. Never, Arete. You're my student. My friend. Our leader." He laughed a little.

 

"Well... You are supposed to be our leader. Yes. I mean, you're perfect. Your face, body, personality, morality and abilities." Her ears got red.

 

"Oh. Perfect? ​​You really think so?" Han grinned at her, he was flattered that Arete thought so highly of him. After what he did in the past, he lost the ability to see the good in him, but somehow, that all changed when she complimented him like that.

 

"Yes. You are."

 

"But I—"

 

"No buts, mister. Listen to your leader." She puffed up her chest, acting so confident.

 

He looked at Arete with a shocked expression on his face. He was puzzled on what to do, but in the end, he decided to hug her again.

 

"Did I make you so soft, huh? Why are you clingy to your students huh?" She teases.

 

"Maybe. You have a charm for that."

 

"I made a song." She changes the subject.

 

"Hmm?"

 

"I made a song. I used it to cleanse the demonic energy here in Pacu. Do you want to hear it?"

 

"Of course. Whenever you're ready."

 

She removed the cover of the guqin, placing it on her lap, along with the notes she's plucking, she sings from her heart. He's listening to it. He smiled when some of the lyrics pertained to him.

 

"You like me." He smirked.

 

"No. I don't. Stop assuming things. You looked like an idiot." She rolls her eyes.

 

"But Arete..."

 

"Yes?"

 

"Thank you for being kind to Xian." He smiled.

 

"Of course. She's my friend too. Now that I learned she's important to you, I will cherish her songs and let the world hear it."

 

"... Thank you. Really." He holds her hands.

 

"But do you still love her?"

 

"Hmm? Who knows. I didn't talk about love for so long. I need to reflect again before answering that." He shrugs.

 

"That's right. It's been a long time but what do you think of first love?"

 

"First love gives you a thrilling feeling. It's nice to explore more about your awkward personality."

 

"Precise answer huh. I'll give you that one."

 

"Now that Xian taught you about music, it brings out your inner artist side."

 

"Yes. You know that I love music and meeting her expands my knowledge. She even told me she traveled the earth to get guqin."

 

"Ah yes. She always escapes from her punishments to interact with the people of Earth. Such an adventurous woman."

 

'The nostalgia in his voice... Why am I feeling this?' She thought.

 

"Now that you have Lobin's weapon and guqin. We'll train you to balance it."

 

"Yes. He said that to me."

 

"Let's go to Lily and Faier. I'm sure they will cry in happiness to see you."

Back at the house where those three are staying, Lily and Faier are crying to see Lobin in such good condition.

 

"I THOUGHT YOU'LL NEVER COME BACK!" Faier sobs.

 

"Huh? I'm exiled a long time ago. Where else can I go?"

 

"Do we know if you want to claim your position as a God again!" Lily crosses her arms, still crying.

 

"You two are overreacting."

 

Lily and Faier, "WE'RE NOT!"

 

"Harcla has been taking care of you, right?" Lobin is petting the mini version of his guardian that is clinging to his arm.

 

"Yes. I'm surprised that he can turn into a human. He's a good looking man." Lily speaks. Faier nodded in agreement.

 

"That's great. This little guardian of mine has an insecurity about his appearance."

 

"Is that so? I'm glad the two of us showered him with a lot of compliments." Faier smiled.

 

Lily, "Wait, where's Arete?"

 

Lobin, "Dead..."

 

Lily, "......"

 

Fairer, "......"

 

Lobin sticks out his tongue, "Just kidding."

 

"YOU AND YOUR JOKES!" Lily unsheathed her sword.

 

"NO FIGHTS!" Faier shouted.

0