Chapter 29
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Faier and Lobin arrived at the underworld. Of course, those creatures immediately noticed them. The little boy couldn't breathe properly. A spirit can 'breathe' if they can absorb nature's energy, cosmic energy or even from the human itself. 

 

"L-Lobin... I feel weak..." 

 

"Use the barrier I taught you." 

 

"But I feel weak." 

 

"Of course. You don’t  belong here nor the heavens." 

 

"How... How can I do it if my strength is deteriorating...?" The boy huffed. 

 

"As long as you still have it, used it." 

 

"What if I turn in to dust?!" 

 

"You have no body." Lobin answered nonchalantly. 

 

"Lobin!" 

 

He sighs, "You will not. I blessed the group with a lifetime of guidance and luck from me. Now do it and we'll walk until we reach the top where the three fallen or what they call, a pillar, from the heavens resides." 

 

"... All right." He looks at the hellhounds and revenants attacking Lobin but the man isn't bothered and finishes them by beheading them. Lobin even plays with it, kicking and making it roll side by side. Faier closes his eyes, trying to focus on himself. 

 

"Remember, now you're in a different realm, with a pure spiritual energy, you're a meal to them. Devils will show up if you don't do your job for yourself." Lobin warned him, "oh. Here they are." 

 

Creatures that are flying. With a horn shaped like the goat's, tail like a snake, faces that are melting and eyes bulging. Some are deformed and crawling from the sea of fire, screeching an earful scream. 

 

"Okay. Thank you." He's reciting an unknown language. He tries not to visualize what he saw. He needs to protect himself so he can do it to his group when they face Lily's enemies. 

 

A magic circle appeared and warm light surrounded him. It's unending and he continues to say those words until he creates a barrier and a weapon lands on his hand. 

 

"... What is this? I... I thought I was just making a barrier." He was astounded. He saw the flying devils getting split in half, blood that is dark as black hole scattered on the land they're standing on. 

 

"When we're in a different realm, especially the ones with the opposite magic and supernatural powers, the energy you've been using as your strength to live and create a solid form, converting it to align with you." Lobin explains, eradicating the remaining devils. 

 

"So... I... I did it?" Faier said, hopeful and smiling ear to ear. 

 

"Yes. I should give Harcla credit for teaching you while I'm busy looking out for Arete. Come on, let's start walking." Lobin puts his hands on his pockets and walks away. 

 

"Wait for me! You know I have short legs!" Faier runs towards him. 

 

"You can float." 

 

"But I want to walk with you!" 

 

"Then suffer." 

 

The boy pouts, "you're cruel, Lobin." 

 

"Maybe I am." He shrugs, "I don't know how long we'll take but I know the stairs were almost a thousand steps." 

 

"A THOUSAND?!" 

 

"No. A hundred. I just said it's a thousand." 

 

In Sera, it's been three days since those two left the realm. Han told Lily and Arete, they might've run into some problems. Knowing Lobin who's been his partner for a millennium, the God wants to end some problem immediately or abruptly. 

 

They are at Lily's childhood home. From the outside, it's like an abandoned building but inside, the servants who used to serve her family are still looking out for it. When they saw Lily all well and with her friends, they all cried in happiness. It takes Han back to his youth. Arete is somehow nostalgic because she remembered her friend from Earth. 

 

Right now, Lily wears a comfortable red dress but she puts on a belt to make it more fit to her liking. She let Arete borrow some of her stuff because she's her first friend. The girl chose the tunic cloth and baggy pants. Since the tunic clothing is long until hip, Arete tucked in in her pants and looked satisfied with her decision. 

 

"Do you want us to look at your parents' letter?" Han fixes the sleeve on his loosened robe because it's falling down from his shoulder. 

 

"Yes. I don't think I can handle any more of their schemes. You two are... Twisted people so... It wouldn't bother you that much." 

 

"They're your flesh and blood though." Arete said, "you have the right to read it first." 

 

"... If we're talking about rights, then I'm passing it on you guys." She smiles, "you are trustworthy and will do nothing so reckless." 

 

Han, "Except for Arete. She's reckless as hell." 

 

Arete, "do you want to start a fight, pretty boy?!" 

 

Han, "did you just call me pretty? Aww. I didn't know you had a good taste in men, Arete." 

 

"YOU ARE INSUFFERABLE!" 

 

"Thank you." Han bows jokingly. 

 

"Guys, guys, calm down." Lily stands between them, laughing. 

 

"Stand beside me. Han will blame me again if I accidentally hit you." Arete pulls her aside. 

 

"Huh? Is it my fault that you're violent but try to act so proper? It doesn't suit you." He sticks out his tongue. 

 

"YOU! I'LL KILL YOU, HAN!" 

 

"You can't though. I'm perfect, you said." 

 

"I regret saying that!" 

 

Lily shakes her head, still laughing and gets dozens of letters, tied up which is unusual. Letters are supposed to be hidden in the box or a drawer especially if it's a business matter. 

 

Han and Arete stopped fighting and started reading the letters. They spend hours reading all of it until they see some that can be one of the answers to Lily's problem. 

 

To Acland Head, 

 

We know that you are having a situation because your two children failed the entrance exam where other nobles are studying. Their mistake and your disappointment became the talk of the town, rather than the whole nation of Yaxor. We want to help you how to get them in without doubts and questions from the officials of the academy. We'll introduce ourselves once you agree to this. 

 

- L. 

 

"L? Leruji?" Arete raises her eyebrow. 

 

Lily gasped, "Do you think he's involved with us from the very beginning?" 

 

"Not impossible. You see, he's from Iryankka. It's been a millennium or two since our homeland exploded, he's an immortal like me. Let's read the others again." Han opens the other. 

 

To Acland Head, 

 

It's been a month since we saw each other. You introduced me to your children and they are indeed beautiful and well mannered. I still feel bad for what happened in the academy. I also want to remind you of our deal, that I will help you to assemble the hidden sigil of Iryankka's academy and gain control over the whole continent of Yaxor. 

 

Although it will start a war between cities, I hope by the time your children come of age, they will fight with you. 

 

- L. 

 

"A war?!" Lily was horrified to read all of it, "Father... I... I knew he had a cruel heart but I was hoping there's still a soft spot... I... I never imagined that he wants power that much, that he will use me and Crux." 

 

"Hidden sigil of the academy...." Han crumpled the paper, angered at what he read, "Even if Leruji is from Iryankka, he wouldn't know a single thing about the academy." 

 

"Unless there's a traitor who worked with the academy..." Arete mumbles, "wait, Han... You and Jayen are the top students and skilled magicians in your youth?" 

 

"Yes. Why?" 

 

"... Unless that traitor and the one who set you up, by copying your magic and appearance to contact Guxav is... the same person." Arete explains while getting another letter. 

 

".... Arete... You... You made a great point." Han closes his eyes to control himself. 

 

"You can let it out, Han." Arete holds his hand, smiling at him. 

 

"No... My... My magic is destructive to people who aren't magicians like us." 

 

"Did you forget that Lobin blessed Lily months ago?" 

 

"I can't risk it. There are still people living here." He stands up, "I... I need some fresh air." 

 

"You can take your time. I... I'm just as shocked as you." Lily stared at nothingness. 

 

"Mn." Han disappeared at once but Arete saw a tiny black aura left by the man. She tried to touch it but it electrified her. She decided not to do it again for safety purposes. 

 

"Liliana...?" Arete tries to call her friend in her real name softly. 

 

"Arete... I thought there's still goodness in my parents' hearts." She turned to her, teary eyed, "I thought they were blackmailed. I was wrong... I... I don't know if I can hate them if they're already gone from this world." 

 

"I... Can I hug you? I know my words won't heal your wounded heart right now." She stretches her arms, waiting for Lily to hug her. 

 

"Oh Arete..." She let the letters fall into the ground and buried her face on Arete's chest, crying her heart out. She was even more betrayed to know that Han and her are experiencing this kind of grief. 

 

"I can feel your pain. Let it out, my dear friend." Arete runs her hand from Lily's hair to the girl's back, humming a melody that doesn't have lyrics yet. 

 

In the underworld, Lobin and Faier reached the top where the three pillars of the underworld resided. Lobin is supporting the little boy's back, giving him an extra spiritual energy to maintain his spirit form because Faier's magic ran out and he will disappear if he uses or absorbs the energy from the underworld realm without cleansing it. 

 

"Brother, you're here." Guxav smiles and waves a little. 

 

"Where's the other two again?" He laughs and looks at the surroundings, "they're always busy, huh?" 

 

"Yeah. They have been bringing imps and devils in some worlds because it's beyond saving and the underworld needs some new sets of slaves." 

 

"Well, it's your job to drag people down with their sins." 

 

"Yeah. I agree with you." Guxav laughs as he slaps his thighs. 

 

"I would love to see those two. I bet they missed me so much." Lobin smiled longingly. 

 

"Yes. They don't have hatred with you even though you still sided with the heavens and humanity. It's part of our duty as a God." 

 

"And what you did is a duty as a son who loves his father endlessly." 

 

".... Yeah." Guxav smiles sweetly, "And who's that brat you're with, hmm?" He looks over Faier who looks exhausted. 

 

"Ah. The youngest member of Arete's group. Our group. He's Faier of Iryankka." 

 

"Oho? A Yakkan? Nice to meet you. I'm one of the lords here in the underworld. I'm Guxav." 

 

"Oh... Nice... Nice to meet you." He smiles shyly, "I'm sorry. I didn't know I had to make an acquaintance with a literal God besides Lobin. I don't know how to act." 

 

"I'm a pillar of this realm now. No need to act formal with me. As long as you know Arete, you're safe from being my target." 

 

"Eek!" 

 

Lobin sighs, "Guxav." He scolded his little brother. 

 

"Fine, fine. Well, what is your business here?" 

 

"We're here to find the souls of the Acland clan." Lobin's aura turned dark and intense. 

 

"Acland, huh... I think they're all here. Why?" 

 

"Did I mention you a girl I took in as an apprentice is part of the Acland clan. Her parents basically forced her to be the heir and locked her in the basement whenever her and her older brother made mistakes. I want to throw their souls into the black hole." 

 

"Oh. Revenge for your apprentice, huh? An Acland brat... Nice pairing? A God and a brat from the corrupted family." 

 

Lobin summons his incense metal pole and throws it to Guxav, "Don't talk behind Liliana. You know what I'll do to someone who spits nonsense." 

 

Guxav tilts his head to the side to avoid the attack, the sharp split from air makes his face bleed, but it heals fast, "A God cannot fall in love with a human." 

 

"I know. I'm a God who loves humanity and when someone's in burden because of others, I'll help them as long as I can. My feelings don't matter. My duties are my priorities." 

 

"Woah. You're speaking as Koryn. Calm down there, God of fire." 

 

"Bring them here and I'll tear their tiny souls apart." 

 

Guxav sighs in defeat, "you're acting like a spoiled brat, brother." 

 

"Revenge is a must. Liliana deserves peace." 

 

"Then I'll let you borrow one of my men." 

 

"You better come with me. I don't want some lowly creature of the underworld following us." 

 

"Haa... Prideful as always." He chuckles and runs his fingers through his messy hair upward, "Let me fix my hair, brother." 

 

"Not your almost naked self?" 

 

"I'm used to this." 

 

"Are your clothes not fireproof?" 

 

"Hah? Are you insulting my taste in fashion?" 

 

"Not really. If you have something to wear then make it durable. Unless you like walking, looking like a twig." 

 

"Stop with the scolding. I'll come with you now." 

 

"Faier, did you replenish enough magic to protect yourself again?" Lobin bends down, asking the boy. 

 

Faier nodded, "Yes. I think I rested enough now. Thank you for the guidance." 

 

"Anytime, kid." 

 

"Aww. You look like father and son. Am I the handsome uncle now?" 

 

"He's like a father to me!" Faier giggles as he jumps with excitement. 

 

"Oh really? Do you have a mother figure?" 

 

"I have! It's Lily! But she prefers to be an older sister because she doesn't have a younger sibling!" 

 

"Oh really? What a dynamic." 

 

Lobin raised his arm and retreated his weapon, ears reddened from embarrassment, "let's go you two. We still need to punish Liliana's clan." 

 

Back in Sera, Han had just returned from outside the planet. Arete asked him what he did because an intuition tells her that he destroys something. Lily was sleeping on the couch, eyes were swollen. 

 

"I blew up a planet." 

 

"HAN!" 

 

"What?" 

 

"YOU CAN'T JUST DO THAT!" 

 

"It's done though." He shrugs. 

 

"Han..." She massages her forehead, walking back and forth, "there are people and other beings living on different planets! How can you be so reckless?! Can't you just shoot it into the black hole?" 

 

"Boom." Han puckered his lips after emphasizing the word, "Another explosion and this time most of the universe's humans and other beings will be dragged in." 

 

".... Han. Did you really destroy a planet? Be honest." She approaches him slowly. 

 

"... Yes. I... I lost control again. A traitor from the academy... It must be one of my trusted teachers because you can't just copy someone's appearance and spiritual flow perfectly if you don't destroy your core." 

 

"... Destroy the core?... What the hell?" 

 

"No really... I can take an earful of scolding... I'll listen to it." He smiles. 

 

"You're faking it." She reaches for his cheek and caresses it, "You're faking what you feel and said." 

 

"....." He looks away. 

 

"Han, try to look at me." 

 

"I can't." 

 

"Why won't you?" 

 

"I... Killed people again." 

 

"....." 

 

"I'm unforgivable at this point. I... I don't deserve —" he was hugged by Arete. He can feel her trembling. 

 

"Did you cry when you realized what you did?" 

 

"... Yes." 

 

"Cry again now." 

 

"I'm fine... You don't need to worry about me." 

 

"When Lobin and Faier come back, I can make him call Harcla to guide the souls to their destinations. You don't need to worry about your ending, Han... I won't let someone... I won't let them take you away." 

 

"No one will take me. I just know it." 

 

"Past hasn't been kind to you... I will make sure to make a path for you to walk on and see and feel a warm light." 

 

"Arete... You silly girl... You... You don't need to do that." 

 

"I raised myself alone and survived a lot of trauma... I see more in your eyes. You were screaming for help." 

 

"Arete... Don't do this to me..." He holds both of her arms, supporting himself not to fall on his knees. 

 

"I will always do this just to make you honest with yourself." 

 

"No... I need to... I need to be stronger." 

 

"You did everything and you left everyone behind. You lied to yourself and now you can't believe the words that are coming out of your own mouth." 

 

He gritted his teeth, trying not to cry, "Arete... Arete..." 

 

"I'm here, Han... Don't worry, I won't leave you." 

 

"You will... I know you will." 

 

"Then let me stay by your side for now." 

 

"... That's fine with me. No promises."

0