Chapter 35
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They're still on air, feeling the cold wind and wet texture of the clouds. 

 

"Jayen, can I clear something to you?" Arete taps his shoulder. 

 

"Hmm? What is it, Xian?" 

 

"Time reverses on my body, that's why I went back to being a newborn?" 

 

"Yes. That's right. When you successfully removed your corrupted soul away from the other, your mentality and physical body became stable again." 

 

"And... My corrupted soul went to other worlds as an abnormality? As a curse?" 

 

"Unfortunately, yes." 

 

"Even here in Sera?" She became anxious of that information even if it was shown to her in memories. Maybe, hoping that it's still a manipulation that she has no relation to what happened in Iryankka. 

 

"According to what I gathered for the last millennium, yes." 

 

"Can't you do something about it?" 

 

"If I can, then you don't have to travel through worlds." He answered sarcastically. 

 

"You have a point. Sorry." She looks down. 

 

Jayen took a glance and sighs, "whenever I'm being rude or sassy, you will scold me." 

 

"Even in childhood?" 

 

"Yes. You will get me in line. Saying it's not appropriate for someone our age and we should be monitoring both morality and awareness." He smiles widely, "Now, you're soft and delicate." 

 

"... Is it a bad thing?" 

 

"Of course not! It's an additional quality to you as Arete. Tell me all about what happened during your stay on Earth. Except the misery. I don't want to see you feel so down." 

 

"Oh... I used to work in a restaurant." 

 

"What's that?" 

 

"Oh. It's like the modern version of an inn except there's no renting a room. There's a whole other word for it." 

 

"And that is...?" 

 

"A hotel and an apartment." 

 

"Oh? That sounds expensive." He nodded in understanding, "what's your experience in working in a restaurant." 

 

"It's exhausting mostly on weekends where there's families reserving for their places. I'm one of the servers there. I thought it's easy because all you have to do is give people their food. But I was wrong!" She then pouts in annoyance. 

 

Jayen laughs, "of course not. Servers know their customers' preferred selection of dishes. It helps the managers decide what to promote or phase out." 

 

"You're right. I was also one of the people responsible for the computations of the sales for the month." 

 

"And as expected, you solved it without any difficulty?" 

 

She nodded, "Mn. I feel like... The world is a series of calculations." 

 

"But now, you seem simple minded. Is it because magic and some cult are involved?" 

 

"Yes. Calculations of that phenomenon aren't within my scope. I need to stay open-minded and pretty basic." 

 

"That's a valid point." 

 

"... Jayen." 

 

"Hmm?" 

 

"I'm a pretty violent person now. I'm not elegant like when I was still Xian." 

 

"That's not really a problem for me, Xian. Whatever your personality is, I will accept you." 

 

"But how about the memories we made together? Maybe we even made a vow when we formed a group." She clenched her fist, disappointed about the separation of her souls. 

 

"Honestly, it is hurtful that you don't remember a single memory about me. But it is indeed the consequences of saving the citizens of Iryankka." 

 

"What if... I'll gather every piece of my soul to remove the curses in each world?" 

 

"One, are you crazy? Two, just because you have me as your best friend and also I know you heard about what I did to Koryn, you will do everything recklessly. Three, do you even have a blessing from Koryn to have that decision?" 

 

"One, Maybe. Two, it's an advantage. Three, No. He will go berserk." Arete puts up her three fingers as she answers Jayen's questions in order. 

 

"Xian, you're too reckless. Gathering your soul will destroy your other part. The one I'm talking to right now." 

 

"Oh..." 

 

"The reason why the 'older' version of you separated her soul into two is because obviously, it's corrupted. And since she's been doing human experimentation for the development of music, the energy and magic she's been exposed to are lethal." 

 

"So... I'm dying slowly as Xian?" 

 

"Yes." 

 

"I... I have made a lot of mistakes..." 

 

"You did. Here we are." Jayen pulls her by the waist and carries her. He holds his staff on his other hand and slowly goes down into the ground. 

 

"A... Cabin?" She looks down, holding onto him for her dear life. 

 

"Mn. I'm living here alone. I was known to be a herbalist now, Xian. I enjoyed torture like always but I'm alone you know? And Mewn doesn't have pigs." Jayen smiles softly. 

 

"Oh..." 

 

"What do you do now, Xian? I can sense demonic energy inside your body." 

 

"....." 

 

"You can tell me. It's fine." 

 

"Well... Han taught me to be a magician but.. I focused on my physical attributes. Then... A lot happened. A demonic cult leader almost fooled me so we fought and I exhausted myself by using blood manipulation magic on Koryn." 

 

"A human controlling a God... That's not new but in your current state, you will be in a comatose." 

 

"... That's what happened." 

 

Jayen sighs as they reach the ground, "too careless." 

 

"Then I met Xian... My other self." 

 

"... Huh?" 

 

"I met her." 

 

"How can you —" Jayen's eyes widened, "When you were in a comatose... Did you... Perhaps will cross the afterlife?" 

 

"I'm in between life and death. She's there, playing guqin, singing a song. She also wears a veil to cover her face. Her hair is touching the ground." 

 

"That's... you in the past..." He looks down, "a piece of her soul with the memories is in that place... I must... I must go to her." 

 

She was horrified to hear that, "But it means, you will be in a critical condition, Jayen! No!" 

 

"But... It's one of your identities as Xian. I need to... You need to be complete. Not in a way where you will go back to your wrongdoings." 

 

".... If that's the case, I will go to that place again someday but... Please don't do anything against my wishes for now." 

 

Jayen looks at her for a moment then chuckles while shaking his head, "alright. I won't do anything, Xian. You're the boss." 

 

She smiles a little, "that's good to hear then." 

 

"Then what happened after meeting your other self?" 

 

"Well... We talked. She taught me all her music pieces until she lead the way to the world of living. Some touching moments and Koryn blessed me and gave me his weapon —" 

 

"HE GAVE YOU THE CRYING SUN?!" Jayen shakes her aggressively. 

 

"... Yes?" 

 

"THAT'S HIS ANCIENT WEAPON WHEN HE IS STILL IN THE HEAVENS!" 

 

"... I know." 

 

"OF ALL HIS WEAPON?! KORYN MUST HAVE HIS FAVORITES NOW!" 

 

She laughs softly, "then we investigated some more of that demonic cult's actions , we came across the underworld's creatures in a district then we tried to solve it. Koryn and I went to the underworld itself. Well, I... Died?" 

 

After a long period of silence and a blank stare she received from Jayen, he decided to speak. 

 

".... What the hell, Xian?" 

 

She laughs awkwardly, "Yeah... I.. Got torn apart by the underworld's creatures and sea of fire..." 

 

"... You already died for the third time." He walks in a circle, face palming, "I can't believe what I'm hearing. What the hell." 

 

"... Well, Guxav fixed me... He attached my soul and body using his." 

 

"..... What the hell?!" 

 

"I know it's cool." 

 

"IT'S.NOT.COOL. YOU'RE NOW CONNECTED TO THE LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD! YOU'RE BONDED AND EVEN YOU GO TO HEAVEN, YOU STILL HAVE A CHOICE TO CHOOSE THE UNDERWORLD AND BE ONE OF THEM! AH! THIS IS TOO INSANE!" Jayen smacks her with his staff. 

 

"Ow! I didn't mean to die of course!" 

 

"Of course you don't! You're careless as hell now that you are Arete!" 

 

"... Sorry?" 

 

"YOU'RE NOT SORRY AT ALL! YOU FOOL!" He tries to calm himself. Taking a deep breath in and out. 

 

"Jayen?" 

 

"Now that we're together again, I have to shoulder all these headaches... You... Haa..." He shakes his head. 

 

"Are you disappointed?" 

 

"It's too much work but I don't mind." He smiles a little, "it's you, Xian. I don't mind getting into trouble if we're together." 

 

Her eyes widened, 'He... He's so glad that I'm back in his life while I don't have any memories of him... It's.. Unfair to Jayen...' 

 

"Are you worried about me?" The way he looks at her softened. 

 

"I..." She nodded, "it's... Unfair to you... You've been talking about what we possibly did when we're young but... I don't have any recollection of that... It's... One-sided friendship... I don't want that." 

 

"Is it though?" 

 

"... Huh?" 

 

"You treated me with kindness and with some understanding. Even if you're Arete now, you still have the heart to listen to people." 

 

"Jayen..." 

 

"If we succeed in getting your memories back, I'll be glad. If not, we have a chance now. Especially you, to know me again." 

 

"But... What about your heart? Restarting again with your best friend..." 

 

"It doesn't matter to me whether I finished the path or went back to the starting line. As long as I'm willing, it will be fine." He ruffled her hair, "now, let's go inside the cabin. I'll show you something cool." 

 

"Something cool?" Her eyes shine in excitement. 

 

He laughs softly, "still the same adventurous Xian, hmm?" 

 

Jayen proceeds to open the door and Arete gasps in surprise when she sees a black hole inside. She didn't say a thing besides shaking his arm and wanting Jayen to slap her in the face. For a reality check. 

 

Jayen laughs, "you're adorable as Arete, hmm?" 

 

"Wha— ahem... What is a black hole doing here in Mewn?" She tries to control her shouting. 

 

"It's my home. I'm going to space whenever I want to go to another world for new species to play with." 

 

"To... Play with it?" 

 

"Yes. Like animals and some heavenly bodies are roaming around freely. I can't lose the chance of torturing them, right?" 

 

"I can't say I agree with you on that thing..." She looks away and her cheeks are puffing out. 

 

Jayen burst out laughing again, "how interesting. Do you want to ask more questions about you as Xian? Or do you want us to take off first?" 

 

"You... You will bring me to space? With you?" 

 

"Why not? You're my best friend." He extended his hand, waiting for her to take it. 

 

"Oh..." She holds his hand and he proceeds to hold her by the waist and lifts her up a little. 

 

Jayen says an enchantment and a small bubble was created and surrounded Arete's body. She assumed that since they will go inside a black hole, it's like going out into space, a normal human can't breathe outside. 

 

"Whenever and wherever, you're by my side." Jayen whispers as they go inside the black hole. 

 

She only looks at him, confused. 

 

Inside, there's nothing but pitch black and so quiet. It will bring you to madness if you continue to spend your time there. Jayen's body is being shredded but for him who's already used to it, he'll gather the pieces of his body and attach it back into place. 

 

"Ask away." He said seriously. 

 

"Does that hurt? Being shredded?" 

 

"Oh? This? I'm numb to this." He smiles, "I go back into this place to travel to whole new worlds. Where do you want to go?" 

 

She shakes her head, "I don't have in mind. I'm not really knowledgeable about different dimensions and galaxies." 

 

"Oh really? Then let's just walk while talking." 

 

She nodded, "if I'm a thousand years old like you... And... I'm confused..." 

 

"Organize your thoughts. What is it?" 

 

"I saved a couple when I was still Xian, right?" 

 

"Yes." 

 

"Then... They took care of me, right?" 

 

"Yes." 

 

"But how come I'm only in my twenties?" 

 

"Oh, that? You slept for a thousand years." He chuckles, "you're so adorable when you're a baby." 

 

"... Huh? What?" 

 

"One of the effects of the magic you implemented is to stay unconscious while your body is adjusting to having a half soul. You never left a footprint on Earth so their customs and world without magic and personal, first hand guide from the Gods, your body is shrinking to being a normal being." 

 

".... Oh..." She looks away, trying to sink in the new information. 

 

"I made sure the couple you saved will be able to take care of you in your sleep for a long period of time, so I tied their souls to the newer generations." 

 

"... What?" 

 

"In short, transferring their souls to another body without any memories that you're the one who saved them. Amazing right?" His eyes are practically shining as he describes it. 

 

"But... They didn't get to have a rest just to look after me." She looks down. 

 

"Xian..." He sighs, "honestly, I want to take care of you, but you strictly said that I should live my life." 

 

"... So.. You've been watching over me when you get out of this black hole?" 

 

"Yes, of course." 

 

"How... How did I survive a thousand years of being unconscious? It's... It's impossible to stay as a newborn for that long." 

 

"You were blessed by the Goddess of Music." 

 

"Goddess... of Music?" 

 

"Koryn's little sister. She saw how dedicated you are to music, bending all nature and heavenly bodies' laws. It touched her heart so whenever the other Lords of the underworld tried to recruit you as their disciple, she would interfere." 

 

"So.... The Gods are free to visit Iryankka? That time?" 

 

"Yes." 

 

"That's... that made my mind blown... It's crazy..." 

 

"Oh..." 

 

Then silence. 

 

They are in space. Dust, rocks, clouds full of minerals. Jayen keeps reattaching his body because of the impact of black hole. Arete thinks about the whole situation of being Xian and what the consequences were. 

 

"When we were kids, you were the one who protected me from some bullies." Jayen breaks the silence. Finally finished fixing his body. 

 

"... Really?" She smiles a little, "It means you're quite fragile back then..." 

 

"Yeah. I was." He laughs, "Before we both met Han, we're inseparable." 

 

"Oh... Did our friendship become stronger when Han appeared?" 

 

"Yes. We both made each other feel that it's about the connection and bond we created in our little world. There might be spaces due to our responsibilities but we didn't think of burning our bridges." Jayen looks at her and ruffles her hair. 

 

"Jayen..." 

 

"I may not be vocal, but I'm proud of your achievements back then. May it be corrupted or not. We fought each other almost until death to prove our stands, but it didn't break what we made." 

 

"You're a kind man, Jayen." 

 

"Am I?" He laughs, "now, that's a genuine compliment." 

 

"I'm serious though." 

 

"It's because I'm in front of my best friend." 

 

"....." 

 

"Then when I face people, I have to put on another personality so I can blend with the crowd." 

 

"Is it necessary for you to do that?" 

 

"Yes. To quench my thirst for the public's opinion on me." 

 

"It's unjust."

0