Evy & Stella #30 (Stella Faleur)
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shortly after Zeta got her fangs, there was an opportunity now available to her that she was hoping she’d get squared away before she started school. While she’d mostly spoken to her regular physician from before the fangs came in about getting a certain kind of medication, she was in contact with Dr. Diast, who I was still on a “You’re starting to earn my respect, but emphasis on starting” basis with. So as Zeta was on the phone with Diast, I watched with my arms crossed. My arms weren’t crossed at my little sister, but I hoped the gesture would carry through the phone and the doctor would sense that I would not have my little sister trifled with.

“Uh huh,” Zeta said. “OK, yeah…so the explode-y thing is just? Right. OK, that makes sense. But, are you sure?”

I couldn’t make out what Diast was telling her, and I didn’t want to intrude more than I already was on what was a delicate conversation. But Zeta OK’d me being in the room with her, so I remained, arms still crossed.

“Hmm,” Zeta said. “Which of the options do you think…would be good? Or best?” Zeta’s hands shook slightly. She had one of her big hoodies on, and she nervously nibbled at her sleeve as she listened. “Uh huh…OK…alright, thank you, Dr. Diast. I will…call again soon.”

I didn’t like her tone. Zeta hung up while also hanging her head low.

“So, what’s the verdict?” I asked.

“She said she’s sorry that—”

Ugh, god I knew she was gonna pull some kind of—what’d she say, super impossible to get pill that’s not readily available unless we go through some hoops?” I asked. “Hoops probably involving a scholarship at this school?”

“No, Stella!” Zeta said. “She’s just busy with the other Cani starting school so she can’t be as involved with this, um. The…the ‘you know’ pill.”

“Oh,” I said. “Oh! Wait.”

“I don’t think Rising Shards is as big of a scam as you think…” Zeta said.

“Oh, Zeta.” I said. “Sorry, I’ve just been. I have a hairpin trigger when I think something could be a scam. So if Dr. Diast isn’t involved here, what’d she say about…?”

“She said…my tests were really good for the pill. So.” Zeta took a quivering deep breath as she lifted her head, a weak smile crossing her lips. “So I shouldn’t have any problem and can get it whenever.”

“So! That’s amazing!” I said, giving her a bearhug.

“She said that we could also try and find a Cani specialist with magic or one with specific body changing powers but they uh. She said they cost a lot.”

“Well, which would you rather?” I asked. “Not worrying about the price here. I know I just said all the stuff about hoops and such, but what feels best for you?”

“I want the pill,” Zeta said. “I want to take the pill as soon as possible. Cuz if I can…be me. Then. Going to a new school will feel easier, you know?”

“Right, of course,” I said. Another big hug for my little sister, who was about to take a big leap in her transition thanks to some fantastic medical advancements and the natural shapeshifting abilities in Cani. “How do you feel?”

“Amazing,” Zeta said, giving me a bearhug back. “Really, really amazing.”

“Good, good,” I said, stroking her hair. “Your hair’s softer than mine already, so I’m telling myself now not to get jealous if the pill makes yours even more naturally silky.”

Zeta snorted. “I dunno if the pill will do that.”

“We’ll just have to find out then when you start taking it, right?”

“Right.”

Dr. Diast helping out there earned her more than a few points of my respect. A few more points of respect when Zeta told me in more detail how supportive Dr. Diast was about her trans business. I was still worried about Zeta going to a boarding school, but having Dr. Diast there made me feel significantly better about it.

1