Side Fangs #90: “A Familiar Scent”
25 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Just before void studies class started, Amara felt drained. The prospect of facing yet another week of classes, let alone the day, without Rain had sapped her of all her energy. Despite KJ saying that Rain’s family had done something to pull her from Wildfire Hearts, she had yet to see any results from that. Despite Amara smelling what she was one hundred percent certain was Rain, a recent scent at that, her quest had proved fruitless. Amara didn’t want to give in to KJ type despair, but she was feeling a deep bitterness that was foreign to her. Even on Rain’s longest excursions, she’d never felt the urge to give up hope. But this time…

Amara strummed her claws on the table in front of her. She hated the tables in some of the classrooms, the ones on wheels. Especially the ones in the void entry building’s front area, which seemed even more prone to rolling further than Amara wanted. Plus, she sat next to KJ, who whined every time the table was slightly jostled against her will, complaining that her camera could be damaged, even if it was safely in its case on the ground. The alternative was sitting at the connected chairs and bumping elbows with KJ, which would have about the same results.

“You’re gonna hurt my baby.” KJ whispered. “Quit moving the table.”

Amara took a deep inhale through her nose, preparing to point out that KJ’s camera was firmly in her hands on the table, and that any motion Amara had just made wasn’t remotely enough to damage anything. But as she sniffed in, she sensed the familiar scent once more.

Amara gasped and stood up. The rest of the class’s eyes were on her instantly, but she didn’t care. She smelled Rain. And she was nearby. It was even stronger than the last time she locked onto the scent. She turned slightly to the side, where KJ tilted her head in confusion. Amara gave a moment’s thought to bolting immediately. But as she locked eyes with KJ, she saw the same relatable pathetic sadness that was on KJ’s face when they both held each other gently. If Amara left her out, it would be rude at best, and incredibly damaging to their relationship at worst.

So she took KJ’s hand and ran with her.

“It’s an emergency, sorry!” Amara yelled. “Bathroom emergency! That I need KJ’s help with!”

Amara sprinted, not caring if KJ had enough stamina to keep up with her. No matter what, KJ had to be with her for this, whatever they found.

To her credit, KJ did manage to keep up and didn’t whine the whole way or question why Amara had pulled her out of class. Amara rounded hallways, sliding to stop and turn around as she followed the scent closer and closer.

Amara’s voice was ahead of her. She heard screaming from KJ and it took a moment for her to notice she was yelling too. Shortly after she registered that, she finally started to comprehend what was in front of her after she pulled KJ into another room in the void building.

There were other students sure, but who cared about any of them? The only thing that mattered to Amara in that moment was the beautiful deer Kanibari with pink fur, whose eyes welled up in tears immediately.

“Rain…” KJ said, getting her camera out.

“Rain!” Amara squealed.

KJ and Amara sprinted towards her.

“Oh,” Rain said, sniffling. She managed to say, “My dear friends…” before Amara and KJ practically tackled her in a hug. The reunited love trio began sobbing almost immediately, babbling to each other as they embraced and rolled around.

“We missed you so much.” KJ said. “It was like all light had left the world.”

“Class was so miserable without you! We missed you so much! Rain!” Amara said.

The rest of the group was instructed by faculty to leave to meet with the other students. Amara and KJ refused to let go of Rain. After a few minutes of trying and failing to pry them apart, the teachers let them have the class off.

“Are you back?” Amara asked.

“For good?” KJ asked.

“I hope so.” Rain said. “Being apart from you both was so difficult.”

“Tell us everything, what was it like there?” KJ asked.

“Well, I tried to spend as little time there as possible,” Rain said. “Once my family successfully locked Wildfire Hearts into legal gridlock, I was very busy with Chomper and her friend, whose name escapes me at the moment.”

“Chomper, huh?” Amara said.

“And another friend?” KJ asked.

Amara hoped Rain could recognize the underlying words behind what they said. She hugged them tighter.

“They paled in comparison to you, do not worry yourselves.” Rain said. “I’ll tell you all my stories soon, but first.” Rain raised her eyebrows.

“What is it, Rain?” Amara asked.

“Is there anything you’d like to share with me?” Rain asked. “Any developments? Between the two of you while I was gone, perhaps?”

Amara and KJ looked at each other.

“KJ is having another goth phase.” Amara said.

“It’s not a phase, I’m just, more comfortable like this.” KJ said.

“You pull off the look!” Rain said.

“Other than that…” KJ said.

The two shrugged.

“Hm…” Rain said. “Interesting. Well, I may have some suggestions for the three of us, then.”

“Whatever you want, Rain!” KJ said.

“I look forward to it.” Amara said.

Rain chuckled. “Oh, how I missed you both. Shall we go see if big table is available for a tea party?”

The love trio’s joyous cheers carried through the halls as they left for the garden on campus, the three holding hands the entire way.

2