Side Fangs #28: “Ko’s Declaration”
118 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ko scoffed after paying for two tickets. The ticket seller somehow saw through her and her twin sister Kai’s scheme to get into the Dentist Haircut premiere while only paying for one ticket.

“I still think it was a great plan,” Kai said.

“It would’ve been better if we timed out who was going to pay better, he got all confused when it was both of us.” Ko said.

“I guess,” Kai said. “I’m gonna get popcorn!”

Kai darted off as Ko sighed. Before she could get too frustrated about losing more money than she intended, she spotted something interesting. In the lobby of the theater they were at, there was a small arcade area. Most of it was typical claw game affairs, which were pretty boring, but there were some arcade game setups, and at one of them was someone Ko recognized. Lillia Cadence was playing a retro game intently, apparently there by herself.

Well, I can have some fun at least.

Kalei had told her that Zeta Faleur had a crush on Lillia. Something about that sparked something in Ko. Confronting Zeta about it directly would be boring, what new info would she even be able to give her? Telling Lillia directly about it was out as well; something about the direct approach felt so blah to Ko.

Before she could walk to Lillia, Ko felt a hand on her shoulder.

“Hey,” Kai said. “You going to uh, talk to her? Like, talk to her. I know that look.”

Kai handed her sister a box of popcorn and some candy as she nodded towards Lillia.

“Yeah.” Ko said, tilting her head to the side. “You wanna get our seats?”

“Uh huh,” Kai said. “But first…I don’t think it’ll stop you, but maybe try not to cause another.”

“Another what, my dear sister?” Ko asked.

“First, don’t talk to me like that, it’s creepy.” Kai said. “Second, you know what. Another cluster.”

“Pfft,” Ko said. “A cluster.”

“Yeah,” Kai said. “How many was it last time?”

“Not that many,” Ko said. “And maybe I’ll stick with just one this time…”

“Well, whatever,” Kai said. “Just keep in mind you have an identical twin sister who doesn’t like getting blamed for when her sister, you know…”

“Causes a cluster,” Ko said, sighing.

“Yeah.” Kai said.

“I’ll do my best.” Ko said.

“See you in the theater then,” Kai said, getting her own box of popcorn and snacks and heading towards the theater. “I’ll be as far in the back row as I can.”

“Sounds good,” Ko said, finding Lillia a lot more interesting than the movie now.

* * *

Lillia slammed the buttons on the arcade machine of Red Her Ring, an old game about a fish princess climbing a castle. She wasn’t particularly thrilled about seeing Dentist Haircut in general, and even less so about seeing it with her family. Particularly Lilith, who she knew would do what she always did at the movies; frequently lean over and explain everything happening in the movie as if Lillia was too stupid to understand every basic detail.

“Game over…” Lillia muttered to herself, then quietly groaned when she saw she was out of quarters.

“I got you,” Ko Matora said, placing a quarter on the machine and sliding it over to Lillia.

“Oh,” Lillia said. “Hello, Ko.”

“’Red Her Ring,’” Ko said, reading the name on the screen. “I think I have a collection with that one on it.”

“Oh, yes, the 7BitArts Collection,” Lillia said. “I have that as well.”

“Sweet.”

“I think I like playing it on the physical machine better,” Lillia said. “It feels more special that way.”

“The classics are always best like that, huh?”

Lillia was already feeling confused. Outside of game sessions with Kalei’s group, the Matora sisters didn’t pay much attention to her, if any. Ko hanging around her made her suspicious.

“Hey Lillia,” Ko said. “Guess what?”

“…what?” Lillia asked.

“I heard a little secret that involved you.” Ko said.

Lillia squinted. “What are you talking about?”

She tried to think of any secrets Ko Matora would care enough about to tell her. Was it something involving their game group? She hadn’t cheated on anything in their recent group play sessions. It couldn’t have been that she’d gotten an eGame 3 at launch, everyone in the group had to know what consoles the others had. It couldn’t be anything about the play, she couldn’t see either Matora sister caring enough to pay attention to the theater. Making matters stranger, Ko only smiled softly as she waited to answer, as if she relished in building the anticipation.

“I heard through the grapevine,” Ko twirled her ponytail in her hand a bit. “That someone has a crush on you…”

Lillia’s heart skipped a beat. Her mind immediately rushed to Naomi, and she had a sudden, desperate pang of hope that Ko Matora had somehow found that out.

“W-who?” Lillia asked, hoping Ko would tell her immediately.

“That’s a secret,” Ko said, grinning.

“Well then…is that all?” Lillia asked, needing to get out of this situation immediately. Why can't Oka just get a cell phone for times like this? “The…movie’s about to start, and—"

“To be honest, it’s got me feeling a little jealous.” Ko said, leaning up against the side of the machine and crossing her arms.

“…what?” Lillia asked.

“In beam chasers, I’m most motivated by competition,” Ko said. “In something like this, I like when I have some competition as well.”

“What do you mean?” Lillia asked.

“I mean you,” Ko said. “If someone else is interested in you, I’d like to put my name in that hat, is all.”

“Is this…a joke? Are you pulling some kind of strange prank?” Lillia asked. “You’re not seriously…?”

“I’m letting you know I’m interested, at least,” Ko said. “Maybe you’re more interested in whoever has a crush on you. But I’ll let you know now, knowing them, I think you’re a lot better off than me.”

“I…er…” Lillia stammered.

“Just think about it,” Ko said. “I’d really like to have a chat with you soon.”

Lillia stayed silent, waiting for when Ko would ask her to clean her beam chasers staff or to give her money for a game, or to throw the next multiplayer group tournament or something. Her family was done buying refreshments, and they were headed her way. She did not want them to hear anything Ko was telling her.

“That’s my family, I better…” Lillia trailed off.

“Of course,” Ko said. “Enjoy the movie, love.”

Lillia’s little sister Lilith marched up to her and waved her hands in front of Lillia’s face. Lillia swatted her away.

“Meanie,” Lilith said. “I was just trying to get that faraway look out of your eyes. Who was that?”

“A friend from school,” Lillia said, watching Ko walk away.

9