“An Average Teenage Spy” (26.4)
56 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Amara was in sight. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do when I got close to her, because if I called out Naomi would turn around as well, as Amara was practically climbing up on her.

Just as I followed the two around a corner, I practically rammed into Iris and Maia.

“Oh…hey guys.” I said.

Iris had a bag of jumbo gummies that she was eating from.

“Sup Zeta,” Iris said. “What are you up to on this kind of day off?”

I sighed. “Lillia wants me to help out with people who had friends go to Wildfire Hearts.”

Iris nodded as she ate another jumbo gummy. She held the bag up to her shoulder for Maia to grab one for herself.

“It would’ve been freaking dumb if one of us went,” Iris said.

“Yeah, like you could tie your shoes without me around.” Maia said.

“I was more talking because we’re best pals and such, but sure, keep bringing up that time I forgot how to tie shoes.” Iris said. “Anyways, you want us to come with you?”

“I’m not sure,” I said. “Lillia asked me to help Amara. Would you guys gonna be jerks about that?”

“Jerks? Us?” Iris asked. “About the love trio?”

“Yeah.” I said.

“Us?”

“Yes!”

“We’ll try.” Iris said.

“I didn’t say we’d come with,” Maia said. “don’t want to help them. Have you seen KJ since Rain left?” 

“I haven’t…” I said, not even considering that I might have to help out KJ too. “Is it bad?”

“It’s disturbing. Even for a love trio member.” Maia said. “Club’s gonna suck next time we have it.”

“Oh…” I said. I hadn’t even thought about how our club was going to be moving forward. Without Rain and Nikki, I wasn’t sure how it was going to work.

“Why are you trying to help Amara again?” Iris asked.

“Lillia asked me to.” I said.

“Why?” Iris asked.

"Because it's a nice thing to do, I guess?" I said.

“Well, why are you listening to her?” Iris asked. “She’s pretty mean.”

“I guess, but she’s a friend still? And Amara’s a friend too, I don’t want her to be sad…like, she asked, but I still want to…even if…” I said. Maia and Iris each ate another jumbo gummy. “Am I too much of a doormat?”

“Yeah, kinda.” Maia said.

“You do cave very easily.” Iris said.

“We could probably tell you to help us instead and you would.” Maia said.

“Well. Second half of semester Zeta is not gonna be a pushover! But I still want to help Amara.” I said. "I want to help so it isn't a complete doormat thing."

We didn’t have to look very far for Amara, as she and Naomi came back our way. Maia started to hiss in agitation but held it in after a second. Amara was practically clinging to Naomi’s arm, and Naomi looked like she wanted to be anywhere else.

“Miss Ratuna, I’ve scanned the perimeter and found no threats,” Amara said. “Shall we abscond to another building within the grounds?”

Naomi sighed. She noticed we were standing pretty awkwardly and it looked like a lightbulb appeared over her head. “Oh, Amara, perfect timing,” She said.

“What is it?” Amara asked eagerly. “Anything you need of me?”

“I was hoping to er, look after these three.” Naomi said as Amara nodded aggressively. “For reasons. And now you can do it for me?”

“What were the perps up to?” Amara asked. “Anything specific you want my hunting eyes on?”

“Er…” Naomi looked at us as if we had any idea.

“I’m…late for class?” I asked.

“But classes are cancelled today.” Amara said.

“We’re loitering.” Maia said.

“There you go,” Naomi said. “Make sure they don’t loiter anymore. Er, in a nonviolent manner. That jaywalker’s laser burns are still…anyways. If you run into any other prefects again, remember that I specifically assigned you to this mission and that they are adequately staffed and don't need the extra assistance.”

“On it.” Amara said.

I thought I heard Naomi whisper a thank you as she walked past us, but I couldn’t be sure.

“Well, you heard her.” Amara said. “No more loitering, scoot.”

Amara shooed us away, but then followed us maybe a step too closely. She seemed a bit lost, which was understandable. Rain was the leader of her group, and without her guidance, I could see both Amara and KJ finding themselves aimless.

“Amara, why are you following Naomi around?” Maia asked.

“Sucking up to get a prefect job?” Iris asked.

“You can’t get those until you’re a second year.” Maia said.

“Just making sure justice is served around here,” Amara said. “In a lawless world like the one we live in, it’s up to people like me and Naomi and the other prefects to keep the peace. So get a move on, no more loitering.”

“We’re moving.” Maia said. “Where are we going, Zeta?”

Maia sneered at me, and I tried to think of a way to brighten Amara’s mood. It seemed like she wanted to have some kind of job to deal with the lack of Rain at the school. So maybe just following along with us would help. But where would we go?

Just as I wondered that, Oka texted me. “Situation. 09 help is not going well. Can you assist?”

“where are you?” I texted back.

“I’m FINE!” 09 yelled.

“nevermind I hear her

Amara’s ears perked up at the shouting. “An incident. I’m needed.” She looked at us and waited. “Come on, you’re not out of trouble either.”

We went in the direction of the shouting. 09 was walking away from Oka, who was just trying to follow along.

“09, I know that song was a lot, oh, hey Zeta!” Oka said, waving when she saw me approach. “But you shouldn’t be mad at your dad just because he had a horrible song number—"

“I’m not mad at him,” 09 snapped. “If I’m mad at anyone, it’s you right now, because you won’t let me do what I’m doing.”

“What are you doing?” I asked.

“Zeta, can you make your girlfriend back off?” 09 asked. “I’m doing something important that I’d prefer to do alone.”

“Maybe if you gave me a hint of what it is, I’ll be satisfied enough to go?” Oka asked.

09 stopped and sighed. “You should just let me leave.”

“She’s being really vague about it and it’s freaking me out.” Oka said to me.

Amara flipped through a tiny notebook. “I’m not seeing vagueness being against the school rules, but it could still be in here. So 09, stay there until I can administer proper judgment.”

“What’s she doing here?” 09 asked. She turned to me, Iris, and Maia as well. “And you three?”

“We’re loitering!” Iris said. Maia poked one of her claws into Iris’ shoulder for a second. “Ow, er! I mean, we were loitering, but thanks to Amara, we’re not.”

“09, I’ll make Oka go if you tell her just a smidge of what’s going on here, so she doesn’t freak out more.” I said.

That finally somehow got 09 to cave. “There’s someone I have to meet,” She said. “It’s urgent. If you really want to help me, just…” 09 sighed. “Follow me and make sure nobody follows us.”

“Make sure nobody’s following you?” Amara asked. “On it.”

“You’d think you wouldn’t want to shout if you didn’t want to be followed,” Oka said.

“That’s what happens when a cousin won’t stop bugging you,” 09 said. Her eyes lit up for a second, a clybrid ability to scan data through some kind of augmentation installed in them. “I see you have some new social media accounts. Want me to bring something embarrassing up from them?”

“I’m…good.” Oka said.

09 led us to the administrative building at Rising Shards. It wasn’t particularly big or notable on the outside. Inside were mostly adults in cubicles who didn’t notice us and receptionists looking at us quizzingly. There didn't seem to be any students around.

“I’ve never been to this building before.” I said. “It feels like…secret.”

“I feel like I shouldn’t raise my voice,” Iris whispered.

“It’s kinda boring, honestly,” 09 said. “Come over here.”

She gestured for us to follow her into a back hallway. I felt bad for not checking in with any of the staff, it felt like we were trespassing. Amara gave some of them salutes, but none reciprocated.

At the end of the long hallway, Caya Kilander stood, imposing as ever in front of a door. She didn’t react to our presence, but 09 still approached with an apologetic posture.

“Sorry, they followed me.” 09 said.

“But I made sure no one followed us.” Amara said, crossing her arms and nodding proudly.

Caya sighed. “Can you all keep a very major and very important secret?”

Oka and I looked at each other.

“If you’re thinking about Koridia, I’ll tell her.” Caya said. “Fair?”

Oka and I nodded.

“For the rest of you,” Caya said. “If there’s even a sliver of a fraction of doubt in your mind that you can keep something very, very, very under wraps, you should leave now.”

Iris and Maia left immediately.

“I’ll guard the door.” Amara said.

“Thank you, Amara.” Caya said. “Much appreciated.”

After doing what I assumed was a cool secret knock, Caya led us into the room, which had its lights off. She locked the door behind us. She flipped the light on, and I screamed, as someone was already in the room waiting for us. She sat on one of the tables set up in the room.

Once my shock settled down, it was replaced with a sudden joy, and I couldn’t help but scream at seeing a friend I had no idea when I’d see again.

“AIRA!” I screeched.

2