Ch-2: The altar
39 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

John trudged through the cave, his stomach rumbling with hunger. He had been walking for hours, and his energy was waning. As he looked around at the dimly lit walls, he couldn't help but think about the moss he had seen earlier. It was tempting to try and eat it, but he knew it was a risky move. He had no idea what kind of effects it could have on his body, and he didn't

want to make things worse for himself.

Instead, John decided to try and get some water out of the moss. He squeezed it hard, and to his surprise, a small stream of clear liquid dripped out. He cupped his hands under it and took a drink, feeling the cool water soothe his parched throat. As he drank, he noticed a refreshing sensation wash over him. It was like he had been given a second wind, and his body felt rejuvenated.

As he walked, John's mind wandered back to his life before he got lost in this cave. He thought about his college days, and how he had let his opportunities slip away. He had been too busy with his job and his routine, too focused on making a living, to really live his life. And then there was the girl he had let slip away - the one he had always wanted to ask out but never did.

Now, at thirty years old and alone, John wondered if his parents would miss him if he never made it out of this cave. He wondered if he would ever get the chance to leave, to make something of his life. He missed his dog, juicy, a loyal companion who had been his constant source of comfort and joy. John felt a pang of guilt for leaving her behind, but he knew he had no choice.

He had to keep moving forward, to keep fighting for his survival. The cave was unforgiving, but John was determined to make it out alive. With a renewed sense of purpose, he pressed on, his footsteps echoing through the endless darkness.

As John walked further into the cave, he came across a large altar that stood in the center of a cavern. The altar was made of stone and was intricately carved with pictograms that depicted a group of people fighting an ancient evil. The carvings were so detailed that he could make out the expressions on the faces of the warriors as they battled their foes. The altar was massive, easily ten feet tall and ten feet wide, and it emitted an eerie aura that made the hair on John's arms stand on end. It was the most extraordinary thing he had ever seen. The craftsmanship was immaculate, and the way the objects on the altar were arranged in a triangle was breathtaking.

As he approached the altar, a voice spoke to him from the darkness. It offered him a choice of three objects: a sword, a shield, and a Grimoire. The voice explained that each item would assist him on his journey, but he could only choose one. The sword would increase his strength, the shield would increase his endurance, and the Grimiore would teach him a common magic spell of his need.

John stood before the altar, mulling over his decision. He thought about the monster he had fought earlier, how it had nearly killed him. He wondered which item would give him the best chance of survival. The sword would make him stronger, but would it be enough to take down another creature like the one he had already faced? He knew that he was not a skilled fighter. The shield would make him tougher, but would it slow him down? The Grimoire, while intriguing, seemed risky. What if he couldn't cast the spell correctly?

Finally, he decided to take the Grimoire, hoping that its magic would aid him on his journey.

John could hardly contain his excitement as he flipped it open. Despite its thickness, the Grimiore contained but one page and one skill mentioned upon it. A magic missile spell that could shoot a single bolt of magic. John was apprehensive at first, but he could imagine using the spell to protect himself from danger or to defeat his enemies. It gave him a sense of power that he had never held before. Not even as a teenager, the time everyone thinks they are invincible.

After a few moments of daydreaming, John decided to try the spell out. He spoke the incantation, and the Grimiore began to glow. It floated out of his hands and a moment later, a bright beam of light shot out of the book, and John could feel the energy pulsing through his body. He was awestruck by the power of the spell, and he couldn't wait to experiment with it more.

However, before he could continue, he heard a noise coming from further down the cave. He realized that he needed to be cautious, and that he couldn't let his guard down even for a moment. He wanted to grab the Grimiore but it fainted out of existence behind him. He could feel a connection to it, knew he could call it back at any instant, but for now, it had become invincible to sight and touch.

As he crept forward, he thought about the strengths and weaknesses of the spell. He knew that the magic missile was powerful, but it had its limitations. He couldn't use it too often, or he would drain all of his energy. Additionally, he wasn't sure how effective it would be against certain types of enemies. He realized that he needed to be strategic in his use of the spell, and that he would have to rely on his wits and his courage as well.

With these thoughts in mind, John continued to move forward, always alert for danger. He knew that the road ahead would be long and treacherous, but he was determined to see it through to the end. He had chosen his weapon, and he was ready to face whatever lay ahead.

But his excitement was short-lived. The altar suddenly started to descend into the ground behind him, causing the cavern to shake violently. John's heart pounded in his chest as he realized he was in danger. He ran, his footsteps echoing loudly in the cavern, and he could feel the ground trembling beneath him.

John's heart was pounding as he ran, his feet pounding against the rough stone of the cave floor. Now the entire cavern was shaking, the walls and ceiling crumbling around him.

Debris was falling from above, large chunks of rock and earth raining down upon him. He ducked and weaved, narrowly avoiding being crushed by the falling rubble. He had to keep moving, had to find a way out of this underground maze.

The cavern was changing around him, and John could barely keep his balance. Rocks and debris rained down on him as the ceiling crumbled. He dodged falling stalactites, and he could hear the sound of rushing water in the distance. The noise was deafening, and he had to shout to be heard over it.

Panic set in as he ran, trying to find a way out. The altar continued to descend, and the cavern shook even more violently. John's mind raced with fear and desperation, and he wondered if he would make it out alive. 

John knew he had to move fast. He sprinted through the twisting tunnels, his mind racing as he tried to find a way out. The walls crumbled around him, and rocks fell from above, forcing him to dodge and weave through the chaos.

It was a mad dash, and John was barely able to keep his footing. But he pushed on, his adrenaline fueling his movements. As he rounded a bend, he saw a shaft of light in the distance. He ran towards it, his heart pounding with hope. 

With each step, the ground beneath his feet shook more violently. He could feel the vibrations through his entire body. It was like an earthquake, only worse because he was trapped underground.

Suddenly, a section of the ceiling gave way, opening up a hole in the ground. John stumbled, but managed to catch himself on the edge of the hole. He looked down and saw a deep, dark abyss stretching out below him. It was a terrifying sight, but he knew he had no choice. He had to jump.

He took a deep breath and leaped off the edge, plummeting into the darkness. He felt like he was falling forever, the wind rushing past his face, until he finally hit the ground with a painful thud.

He lay there for a moment, catching his breath and trying to gather his wits. When he finally stood up and looked around, he realized that he had landed in a large, deep antechamber. The moss covering the ceiling provided some light, casting eerie shadows across the room.

John's heart sank as he surveyed the eerie scene. The floor was littered with bones - human bones. It was a grisly sight, and it sent a chill down his spine. He wondered what kind of place this was, and why there were so many bones scattered about.

The antechamber was long and narrow, stretching off into the darkness. He couldn't see the end of it from where he stood. The walls were rough and uneven, with jagged outcroppings of rock that looked like they could slice through flesh like butter.

John knew that he had to keep moving, had to find a way out of this place before it was too late. But he couldn't shake the feeling that something was watching him, lurking in the shadows just out of sight.

He took a deep breath and pressed on, his heart pounding in his chest. Every step he took was filled with apprehension, as he half-expected some horrible creature to leap out of the darkness and attack him.

But the only sound was the soft echo of his own footsteps, and the occasional drip of water from the ceiling. The silence was almost more terrifying than any noise could be.

As he walked, he came across more and more bones - so many that he lost count. Some were small, the remains of children, while others were large and imposing, like those of a giant.

The atmosphere was oppressive, the air thick with the stench of decay and death. He felt like he was suffocating, like he was drowning in a sea of bones and darkness.

But he pressed on, following the narrow path that wound its way deeper into the antechamber. He had to find a way out, had to escape this endless underground dwelling.

 

0