Ch-7 The trial of heights
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

John took a deep breath and peered over the edge of the cliff. The darkness was so profound that it seemed to swallow everything around it. He could hear the sound of wind and distant dripping water coming from below. It was a bottomless pit, and as he looked into it, it felt as if the abyss was staring back at him, an entity in and of itself.

John couldn't help but feel a deep sense of fear welling up inside him. As a thirty-something office worker, he had never encountered anything like this before. The shadows that he saw moving in the abyss seemed to be beckoning him, calling out to him, and yet he could not see what was causing them. The fear inside him was overwhelming, and he could feel his hands shaking as he tried to grip the edge of the cliff.

He took another deep breath and tried to calm himself. He knew that he had come too far to turn back now, and he couldn't afford to let his fear control him. He took a step back, closed his eyes for a moment, and tried to push all his worries aside. When he opened his eyes again, he felt a renewed sense of determination. He was going to conquer this abyss, no matter what it took.

He knew he had to climb down the cliff. The idea of falling into the unknown depths below made him uneasy. He reached for the empty potion bottle and wished for a feather fall potion. The bottle shook slightly, and he felt a slight weight in his pocket. He didn't drink the potion immediately, instead choosing to keep it close at hand as he started his descent.

The potions obtained from the empty bottle were too short-lived. They were only common-grade potions, and while they were helpful, they weren't very powerful. He needed to use them strategically, and that included not drinking the feather fall potion immediately. He didn't know how deep the cliff was, and if he misjudged the height and the potion ran out of power at the wrong time, he could have fallen to his death.

John had another reason for holding onto the feather fall potion. He had to worry about the monster he would be facing in this trial of heights. He knew from experience that each trial had its own set of challenges and obstacles, and he couldn't let his guard down. He had to be prepared for anything that might come his way.

John took a deep breath and recalled his childhood memory of throwing a rock down a pipe to hear the echoes. He remembered the thrill and excitement he had felt as the sound bounced back to him. The memory sparked an idea in his mind, and he looked around for something to use. Spotting a nearby rock, John picked it up and examined it before tossing it over the edge of the abyss.

As he listened for the sound of the rock hitting the bottom, John realized it was too deep for him to hear anything. He began to ponder on what else he could do to gauge the depth of the cliff. Suddenly, he remembered his homing missile spell. With a flick of his wrist, the Grimoire appeared floating behind him.

He chanted the incantation, and a bright, glowing ball of light disappeared into the abyss. The glowing ball of light illuminated the path ahead, revealing the cliff's depth. John watched as the homing missile disappeared into a point of light, showing that the drop was beyond deep.

The glowing light from the homing missile also revealed the surrounding rocks' shapes and details, casting eerie shadows across the cavern walls.

John took a step back, awed by the sight before him.

He chanted the incantation for the Earth Spike spell, and as he did so, the ground beneath his feet trembled. He focused his energy on his hand, and as he thrust it towards the cliff wall, a sharp spike of rock jutted out of the wall, forming the first step. He repeated the process, and the spell created a series of jagged, winding steps, leading down the cliff face. Each time the spell was used, it echoed through the cave, filling the air with a deafening sound.

As John descended the staircase, he was struck by the eerie stillness of the cave. There were no sounds of animals or insects, no rustling of leaves or branches, just the echoes of his own footsteps and the rumble of the earth spikes. The walls of the cave were bare and lifeless, devoid of any signs of life. The lack of any vegetation or signs of life made him feel uneasy as if he was trespassing on some ancient, forbidden place.

John couldn't shake off the feeling that he was alone in this lifeless world, and it filled him with a sense of dread. The thought of being trapped in this cave, with nothing but the monster to keep him company, was terrifying. He continued down the winding staircase, the sound of the earth spikes echoing through the stillness, each step bringing him closer to the unknown.

The walk proved longer than John had expected. His heart sank as he realized that he had been walking for what felt like an eternity, yet the bottom of the cliff seemed nowhere in sight. His legs felt heavy, and his arms were sore from holding onto the cliff walls. He felt a sense of hopelessness creeping up on him, making him question whether he should have even attempted this trial.

As he stood there, catching his breath, he called forth his Grimoire and cast another homing missile, this time aiming it deeper into the abyss. To his surprise, the missile reflected something in the distance, something that glinted in the magical light.

John's heart quickened as he realized that he might not be alone down here after all. He wondered what kind of creature or being could survive in such a desolate place.

He watched the monstrous creature disappear into the darkness. He stood frozen in terror, still clutching onto the rocky cliff face for dear life. The creature had been massive, at least the size of a small car. It had wings like a bat and its glowing eyes had burned into John's memory. He couldn't forget the fire that seemed to come out of its spine or the eerie glow of its belly.

He began to make his way down the cliff, creating stairs with his Earth spike spell, but the memory of the monster kept haunting him. He fired another homing missile into the abyss, hoping to see where the creature had gone. The missile disappeared into the distance, and for a moment, there was silence. Then he saw it - a light in the distance that kept growing brighter and bigger. The wind picked up and he heard the sound of wings fluttering in the silence.

John's panic rose as he realized that the monster was coming back. He was about to run when the creature whizzed past him, bringing a gust of hot wind that almost threw him off the cliff. He held on somehow, grabbing onto the cliff wall with all his might.

The monster was even more terrifying up close. Its wingspan was enormous, and the fire on its spine seemed to be getting hotter by the second. John could feel the heat radiating off it. He tried to hold his breath to avoid the smell, but it was impossible.

The creature's smell was foul, like burning sulfur mixed with rotting flesh. The pressure it brought with it was immense, and John felt like he was being suffocated. He was overwhelmed with dread as he realized that he was not alone in these caves. The thought of facing the monster made him feel sick to his stomach. Yet he had to do it. It was already here and knowing there could be only one winner of the trials, he got ready to face the music.

John took a deep breath as he prepared for the battle ahead. The monster let out an ear-splitting roar, and John could feel the heat emanating from its fiery spine. Even the air seemed to shake as the monster charged at him, its glowing eyes fixated on him. John gripped his magic Grimoire tightly, ready to cast his spells.

He started with a homing missile, firing it at the monster's glowing belly. The missile hit its target, and the monster let out a deafening screech, but it didn't seem to have done much damage. The monster retaliated by charging at John with incredible speed, and John barely managed to dodge its attack. The monster then unleashed a massive fireball that engulfed John.

John quickly drank the potion of feather fall and jumped to dodge the attack, later quickly using the earth spike spell to create a platform to stand on.

The monster swooped down to attack John, but he evaded again, casting earth spike at the monster's wings, causing it to falter and crash into the cliffside. The impact created a shower of rocks and debris, causing John to dodge frantically.

John took advantage of the monster's momentary weakness and cast homing missile at the creature's head. The missile hit the monster's forehead, causing it to roar in pain. John could see the blood oozing out of the wound, and he knew that he had a chance to finish the monster.

He summoned all his courage and jumped towards the monster, casting an earth spike under it as he landed. The spike pierced through the monster's body, and it let out a final screech before falling off the cliffside.

John watched as the monster fell, its body slowly disappearing into the abyss. He took a deep breath, relieved that the fight was over. The adrenaline slowly faded, and he could feel the exhaustion setting in. He leaned against the cliff wall, trying to catch his breath, and wondered what other dangers might lay ahead in his path.

John finally reached the bottom of the cliff, but he was in for a surprise. As he landed on the ground, he saw the monster lying there, alive and breathing heavily. John couldn't believe it. He thought he had defeated the creature with his Earth Spike spell, but it seemed like the monster was tougher than he had anticipated.

The monster slowly stood up, and as it did, it began to transform. Its eyes started glowing brighter, and its spine erupted into a pillar of fire. Fire covered its wings and absorbed its claws. It transformed into a creature of fire and malice. John knew that he was in trouble.

The battle resumed, and this time the monster was furious.

John and the monster fought fiercely. The monster was enraged and charged at John, who was caught off guard but managed to dodge its attack. John retaliated with a barrage of homing missiles that hit the monster, but it shrugged them off and retaliated with a powerful gust of wind that almost threw John off the cliff.

The battle continued, and the monster breathed fire at John, who quickly used his feather fall potion to dodge the flames. John then used his earth spike spell to create a barrier between himself and the monster, but the monster broke through it with its powerful claws.

John then threw a rock at the monster, distracting it long enough for him to strike it with his homing missile spell. The monster roared in anger and charged at John again, but John managed to use his earth spike spell to create a wall that blocked the monster's attack.

It didn’t falter but attacked with renewed vigor. Suddenly the fire growing on its spine disappeared into its body. Its belly grew brighter before it started unleashing streams of fire from its mouth that scorched the ground. John dodged and weaved, firing homing missiles and Earth Spikes in return. But the monster was quick, and its fire attacks were deadly.

As the battle raged on, John noticed that the monster was becoming more powerful. Its eyes glowed with a fierce intensity.

He was becoming desperate. He was quickly losing ground to the monster. However, the intensity with which it attacked reminded John of the crystal monster he had fought in the last trial. He wondered if this was the monster's last attack.

His thought proved right. Its belly slowly grew quieter before it stopped breathing fire. It seemed to have exhausted itself.

John saw it as a chance. He attacked the monster head-on, while using his earth spike spell to create a series of traps. Unable to breathe fire, the monster was forced to charge at John, which he dodged, forcing it head-on into the trap. That roared as the spikes sheared through it. It flailed and tried to get free, but the spikes weren’t something it could break in its exhausted state. John then used his homing missile spell to finish off the monster once and for all.

The creature howled in pain, and its fiery aura flickered and dimmed. With one final burst of energy, the monster exploded into a shower of sparks and ash leaving behind a fang that glowed orange.

John collapsed on the ground, panting and exhausted. He had won, but at what cost? His magic Grimoire was nearly empty, and he was beyond exhausted. He couldn’t even stay standing up! He was alone in the depths of the cave, with no way out.

But behind his weariness and fear was a sense of accomplishment. He had faced a terrifying monster and emerged victorious. He had won. He had won before, he had won now, and he would win again. Win against anything and everything until he reached the bottom of this endless dungeon.

For now, he needed to get up and start moving, leave the trial space, and enter the next zone.

John picked up the monster's fang and started trudging toward the exit, in his mind wondering what kind of artifacts he would find this time.

 

0