3: Hearing Conversations
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As it turns out word travels fast and I’m called from my sixth period class to the principal’s office. When I enter, the lady at the front desk tells me to sit and wait. A few minutes later, a short woman in her mid-fifties with gray hair, green eyes, and black glasses comes out of a room.

“Beatrice Simmons?”

“That’s me.”

“Come, please.”

I stand on shaky legs. A million scenarios on how to get out of this situation swam in my head. But none seemed reasonable. I had to accept my fate. Consequences and all. Following behind her, I closed the door softly behind me. She jesters for me to sit in the chair in front of her desk. Once I’m seated, she clears her throat.

“Do you know why you’re here, Ms. Simmons?” She asked, settling down in her leather chair behind her desk. I swallowed nervously. Of course, I knew why I was here. Or at least I think I do. I mean she could’ve called me in here for anything.

“No?”

It sounded more like a question than a statement.

She nods, folding her hands on the desk. “Well, I was informed that you broke another student’s wrist. That type of behavior isn’t tolerated here.”

“I know Principal-”

“Edwards.”

“I know Principal Edwards, but it was an act of self-defense.”

“How so?” she asked.

I explained to her what happened after my economics class in the hall. She doesn’t say anything until I’m finished.

“It’s interesting, I have a completely different story from Ms. Fuller. She told me she was trying to make sure you were okay after your episode in the cafeteria, but then you attacked her for no reason.”

And of course, you believed her, I wanted to add, but I held my tongue.

“Ms. Simmons, you see my dilemma. I have two people here with completely different stories. Yet Ms. Fuller is the only victim. If you said that she hit you like you claimed, then where are the bruises?”

I frowned; did I really need evidence that I was hit? There where people there standing watch, for God’s sake, question them. They call them eyewitnesses for a reason.

“Did you ask the witnesses?”

Principal Edwards pulls out a yellow sticky note. ” As a matter of fact, I did. There were two, they said that Ms. Fuller’s claims were valid. And that, excuse my language, “Beatrice is a crazy bitch that needs to be detained.”

My stomach twisted at her words. I had a feeling the two people she questioned were none other than McKenzie’s just as evil friends, Lesly and Yumi. Out of all the damn people present you questioned them. Great, luck is definitely not on my side. The fortune cookie I had from takeout last night lied. I bet those numbers on the back were faulty too.

“But none of it was true. Did you at least ask Periwinkle what she had seen?”

“Ms. Blu, did give her statement, but it was three against two.” She shakes her head. “I’m sorry, Ms. Simmons, but I’m going to have to suspend you for a week.” Principal Edwards smiles sadly at me. “It’s better than expelling you. That’s what McKenzie’s parents wanted. Had to talk them out of getting a lawyer and suing you and the school.”

After swallowing the bile rising to my throat, I croaked, “What now?” I asked. It’s only the beginning of September and I’m already being suspended.

“I’ve already called your uncle; he told me he’d be here to pick you up in an hour. You can get your things from your current class, just come back here when you’re done.”

I nodded as my eyes became blurry with tears. Standing up I made my way out of the office, and back towards my sixth period class to get my things.

“What the fuck do you mean, you don’t know if she’s the one?”

I stopped in my tracks.

“I said what I said, and there is no proof or evidence that supports it. It could be anyone.”

That voice sounds familiar.

“We don’t have time for this Creed. We need to know if the princess is here or not. The kingdom is in turmoil, and with that imposter on the throne chaos that we’ve never seen before will wreak havoc on Eldengar.”

I frowned.

Kingdom? Eldengar?

To say my curiosity got the best of me is an understatement. I followed where I heard the conversation, surprising myself to be able to pinpoint the exact location. I was shocked to see Gabriel standing there, with some strange device in his hand.

I’m shocked that I’m able to hear what they’re saying clearly since they are quite a few feet away from me.

Hiding behind the wall I tuned in once more.

“I know Alastor,” Gaberial sighed running his hand through his dark strands. “But I think I may know who it is. Her name is Periwinkle. Something about her seems different from the others. Like she doesn’t belong here.”

I placed my hand over my mouth to keep a gasp from escaping my lips.

“How do you know?” the voice on the other end asks.

“I just do. Trust me on this one Al.”

The other person Al grumbles. “Yeah whatever. Don’t forget to report your findings to the Concilium. I don’t want them on my ass, Creed.”

“I will,” Gaberial said.

“Good, don’t forget to report to Blood Raven next week bright and early, training starts...”

I backed away from the hall and hurried back to my sixth period class.

0