Arc 1. Chapter 3-3
3.1k 10 92
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The plan was quite simple, and Adela was the one to propose it. Apparently, she had a vision where she intervened in the ritual, and that was the reason she came now as opposed to her inaction in the manga.

I had no idea what I did that changed her vision, so I couldn’t give her an answer when she asked, but I took the opportunity to tell her of my ‘clairvoyance’ and the three of us; Lucas included, came to the conclusion me seeing my death allowed me to do something to change my fate.

We just didn’t know what.

In any case, that wasn’t important. What was important was putting the plan into motion since the ritual would take place that same night, and we didn’t have enough time.

“In my vision, I used a replacement technique to exchange Elaine’s body with a corpse. Of course, the corpse was under an illusion spell to look like Elaine, something I’m perfectly capable of doing as well” Adela explained in a confident tone. The three of us were inside the greenhouse of the mansion, in a very secluded part. From our standpoint, we could perfectly see the only entrance so it would be easy to detect if someone else came. We also made sure to check the place was completely deserted as well before we started speaking. In other words, this was as good as a private place as we could get.

Lucas raised an eyebrow, staring at Adela incredulously. “And how are you going to replace Elaine without anyone noticing? I don’t know how this technique of yours works, but I’m guessing it won’t be as inconspicuous as necessary so as not to raise suspicions towards us; or Elaine before she manages to escape.”

“Of course I already thought of that as well” Adela answered, affronted. “There’s a moment in the ritual both Elaine and your mother’s body will need to stand side by side, inside her coffin. My master is going to close it so neither you nor your precious family” she put emphasis on her words, clearly showing what she thought of Lucas’ family for going forward with the ritual; “sees how Elaine’s body gives her life energy to your mother, and subsequently wilts until she’s in the same condition your mother was before the revival while she is as good as new. I’ll discreetly exchange the bodies while the coffin is closed, but before my master starts the ritual. Elaine will be transported to a secure place from where she can escape and we’ll have nothing to worry about. After all” she raised her chin, seeming a little too proud of herself; “I don’t need to see my target to replace it as long as I know their positions beforehand.”

“What a creepy technique” Lucas said, disturbed, but also angry at her cutting words against his family. I had to admit, I shared the sentiment with Lucas. About being disturbed, not angry. I could remember Adela using that technique to fight a few opponents in the manga, where she would exchange their bodies with a corpse buried underground. Even if that didn’t kill her adversaries, the mere thought of being buried alive was enough to make me shiver.

In fact, she used it once with the hero during her vengeance arc, if I remember correctly.

Adela huffed, narrowing her eyes and glaring at Lucas. “Well, excuse me for my creepy techniques, but it’s kind of unavoidable to look that way when you work with the dead. Besides” she added before he could say anything else; “you should be grateful to me, because I’m giving you a chance to help this gal escape when you alone could do nothing at all.”

“I could have helped her perfectly fine without your help!”

“There’s another point we need to touch before wrapping up the plan” I interrupted any further response from Adela, and thus, a useless fight that would take us nowhere. Adela and Lucas looked at me, and once I had their attention I continued. “There’s going to be a moment when they realize the ritual isn’t working. The viscount and your master will find out you did something Adela, how are we going to cover that up so I can gain enough time to escape and not get either of you in trouble?”

“My master is going to realize immediately I’m up to something, but he won’t stop me” Adela explained nonchalantly, crossing her arms, her staff against the nearest worktable. “Though you’re right about the viscount. I would rather not cause any trouble for my master if I can.”

“The ritual only works if the sacrifice is alive, no?” Lucas asked, looking at Adela. She nodded, and once given the answer he wanted he turned to me. “Since we’re going to need an explanation as to why the ritual didn’t work, and the coffin will be closed anyway, what if you feign suicide?”

I blinked, confused. “I… don’t quite get what you mean by feigning suicide?”

“It’s easy” he walked passed us, looking for something on the table. He grabbed a glass that contained a single flower bulb, and without another second of hesitation smashed it against the table. Adela and I both jumped at the unexpected action.

“What are you doing?! Do you want to alert people to what we’re doing here?!” I asked, looking around anxiously, hoping no one nearby heard that sound. If someone entered right now to investigate, it would be hard to explain what Lucas was doing.

However, the boy ignored me, taking the larger piece of glass from the ground and extending it to me. I frowned, not sure of what he was trying to do.

“I see” Adela said suddenly, stepping closer. “It’s a good idea, I must admit.”

With those words, I suddenly understood too. “Of course, if I cut my wrists or neck while inside the coffin, the ritual won’t work, since I’ll be dead, and no one shall question the reason or have motive to suspect you.”

“We can prepare the corpse to look like you sliced your neck, and leave the glass behind as proof of your suicide” Adela added, nodding to herself. Lucas smiled, pleased we caught his meaning.

“Just make sure to hide it well, and please, be careful not to get cut.”

“You’ll need to clean that up, otherwise anyone who comes here will suspect something” Adela told Lucas after I carefully stuffed the glass in my pocket with mixed feelings inside me, since the word suicide made me remember things about my past life I rather not. The boy huffed in annoyance.

“I know. But it’s your turn. You said we need a corpse. Where are we going to get one?”

Adela smiled mysteriously, in a way that gave Lucas and me chills. “You know where the closest cemetery is, don’t you?” she asked, fluttering her eyelashes, though more than a flirtatious gesture, it just looked mocking.

“Well… yes” Lucas answered, suddenly unsure. Adela’s smile widened, and for the first time since all of this started, I felt incredibly happy that I wasn’t allowed to leave the mansion as I was a prisoner. Seeing my trepidation, Lucas quickly caught her meaning, and started desperately shaking his head. “Oh no. No, no, no, no, no. Whatever it is you’re planning, my answer it’s a rotund NO.”

He still left a few minutes later with Adela, shovel in hand, to the cemetery to look for a tomb with a body that fitted my petite frame, although he looked both miserable and nauseous the entire time.

92