Chapter 2
22 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I strode across the street on a misty morning. The fresh breeze and the smell of flowers blooming never failed to lighten my mood. For the past one week, I had stayed indoors just praying and hoping for the best results. 

I was at peace for that whole week but now that the day had finally come, I felt scared. My heart beat rapidly as I neared our school gate. "Why now of all times?" I mumbled.

Anyone who saw me talking to myself this early might have thought I was crazy. Luckily, there was no one around and I was the first to arrive.

I wanted to wait for the other students to get there but I was too eager to see my results. I couldn't wait any longer. I hastened my pace to the principal's office and halted at her door.

I tried raising my hand to knock on her door but I couldn't. "That's weird," I thought. It was as if an intangible force was holding me back. It seemed like whatever was awaiting me on the other side of the door didn't sit right with my heart. I held my breath and tried to regain my composure. This time round I managed to knock on her door.

"Come on in," the principal answered. I dubiously opened the door and met her gaze. "Please take a seat, Phoebe," she added. "Thank you," I said as I took my seat whilst admiring her office which was adorned with trophies.

She cleared her throat and said with an unusual feeble tone, "Uhhm Phoebe you have been a really good student and actually one of my best students. And...I really don't know how to put this. You see Phoebe, there is more to success than just education." 

"Sorry ma'am but I don't understand what you are trying to imply. Can you please pardon me?" I asked, shooting a quizzical look.

She slowly stood up and peered through her window while moving her fingers across her chin as if trying to recollect something. 

She let out a sigh, “I don't know how to put it in a way that you would understand. I know how much you've worked hard.But the results...."

"What are you saying?" I said as I struggled to swallow my still beating heart.

"Look Phoebe, just calm down, this doesn't mean it's over, you can still sit for the exams again."

"But I can't," A great sob escaped me and I covered my face with shaking hands. Once the first tear broke free, the rest followed in an unbroken stream. 

"Where am I supposed to get the money for another year?" I asked in a frail tone as my bottom lip quivered and my shoulders dropped in resignation.

"You have to help me, please, I don't want my mom to see this. She has already gone through much. Please!" I begged the principal as I tried wiping off my tears.

The principal looked at me with a pitiful stare, "I wish I could, but I can't. This exam was marked by the best teachers in the country. There is nothing I can do now, am..am sorry," she said as she handed me my results. 

My hands shook uncontrollably as I picked up the sheet of paper. It was pathetic! How was I even going to explain this to my mum? I helplessly stormed out of the principal's office.

My eyes were filled to the brim with tears making my eyesight blurry. I ran across the hallway as fast as I could not giving a care for whoever I was going to bump into. From afar, I could hear Alvie persistently calling out to me. But I didn't look back, I kept on running until I was far enough from everyone else. 

  The principal couldn't help but feel guilty for what she had done. She let out a deep sigh as she remembered the events of that night.

         **************

         The night after the exams...

It was dark and the eerie silence in the school made the principal feel unsafe. She was working so hard that she didn't realize how much time had drifted. She felt perturbed as she checked her wrist watch. Without wasting a minute, she started getting ready to leave but as soon as she got up, she heard footsteps. 

The slow but steady footsteps seemed to be heading towards her door. Cold chills ran down her spine with every step that the stranger made. Click! Clack!Whatever it was, it was getting closer.

She froze in her chair as she saw the door slowly being pushed open. The door creaked as it opened and there entered a lady. She wore a black dress and held a suitcase in her left hand. Her black hair sparkled in the dark and she had a shallow evil smile with deep piercing eyes. The principal was still too overwhelmed with terror to move. She pushed her seat slowly and tried to gather the little strength she had left.

"Who...wh...who are you?" she asked hesitatingly.

The lady let out a demonic laughter, "Wow, I never thought I'd see this side of you, madam principal,"she said as she continued laughing. "Are you sure you don't recognize your own student?" she added as she majestically made her way towards her and took a seat making it easier for the principal to see her.

"Alvina!! What are you doing here at this time?" she asked as she angrily got up from her seat.

"Relax, I just want to do business with you," Alvina said, "look, I even brought something for you," she added as she dropped the suitcase on her desk and opened it.

“Money!” the principal stared at the stacks of money with lust evident in her eyes. She was about to grab the case for herself but stopped in the middle and abruptly withdrew her hand.

Her eyebrows furrowed as she shook her head. “No, I can't fall for this again,” she muttered to herself. 

“What kind of deal? If it's forging your results then forget it."

"Come on, it's not like you haven't done it before," Alvina said as she smiled.

"How do you...you have no proof for th...

"Have you forgotten that our family owns a law firm and that you were once involved in such a case?" Alvina interrupted the principal.

"We are still the ones who helped you out of it but it seems like you don't remember. Oh well, how ungrateful. Since you aren't willing to cooperate, why don't we just reopen the case?" she said as she grabbed the suitcase.

The principal's eyes widened and a drop of sweat trickled down her brow. "Wait, I'll do whatever you want just please, don't reopen the case."

Although being the daughter of a renowned lawyer in town, Alvina was quite the brat. Ever since she came to that high school she had caused nothing but trouble. The principal could see through that perfect public facade of hers that Alvie was pure evil. Whatever she was cooking inside the pot this time round wasn't going to be good.

"Okay then, I want you to exchange my results with Phoebe's," Alvina said as she put on a malicious grin.

"What! But why would you do that to your friend when I can just forge your results however you like? Plus, Phoebe is a bright girl who's worked extra hard, wouldn't this be unfair for her?"

"Hmm...I don't know," Alvina said, trying to hide the rage in her voice. "Maybe we should just cancel the deal and put your job at risk."

"No no I... I'll do it,"the principal said with a shaky tone.

"Good, then there's the money,"she said as she pointed to the suitcase on her desk. "Make sure her results are interchanged with mine," Alvina added as she walked away with pride.

"Alvie!! You sly pest," the principal said as she clasped her hands together and drew closer to her desk. She could already feel the guilt starting to eat her up. Sadly, her hands were tied and she had no other choice but to comply.


2