Chapter 6: The Forbidden magic
20 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The full moon shone like a silvery bowl in the night sky silhouetting the woods against it. The howl of wolves and hooting of owls made the woods feel so alive yet ironically sending a sharp pain through my ears.

“Phoebe! Phoebe!” Someone called out. I slowly got myself into a kneeling posture as I tried to make out the voice.

“Mom!?

Her brittle voice echoed through the woods making it difficult to pursue her. I stood up as throbbing pain ran through my frail body. I staggered, with every step taking a toll on my stamina. I was desperate to find her and nothing was going to hold me back.

“Mom!” A whimper escaped me when I finally spotted her, sitting by what seemed like a pool of blood. She restlessly springed back and forth whilst embracing someone in her arms.

“Phoebe!! Please..please wake up!

"Me!?" A tingling dread ran through my body as I approached her with growing horror.

"Tha…that's m...me? No! N..no! Mom, look at me! I'm here!" I reached out to grab her shoulder only to realize with a panic that I couldn't. A deep sense of uneasiness held me rigid as the thought of me being dead ran through my mind.

"Phoebe...pl..please don't leave me," she sobbed and her face turned pale.

"Mom!..”

                    *************

"Nyssa, wake up!" a familiar voice spoke, drifting me out of my nightmare.

"K..k..Kai," I said while struggling to sit up.

"Are you okay? You were crying." Kai asked with a concerned tone as he knelt down beside me. 

"It was nothing... just a bad dream," I looked away, wiping my tears with my cloak.

"Okay then, let me get you something to eat," he stood up and headed for the kitchen.

“Sure,” I nodded still detached from reality.

The hair on my arms prickled as the nightmare replayed in my mind. I knew it wasn't just any dream and that there was a high possibility I did die. But... why would death be willing to grant me a second life? What about mom? I lay flat on my mat as I thought of my mother. Now that death had snatched me away from her then who would protect her?

At that point, I had completely lost my appetite and seeing the hard bread and jasmine tea before me, made me feel even more disgusted. I glared at my food for a while after Kai had left before I suddenly remembered the pocket watch. I slowly pulled it out from the inside of my clock and studied it again. The hour and minute hand seemed to have stopped at exactly midnight. Yes, midnight! The hour mostly associated with darkness and when the line separating different worlds is believed to be at its thinnest. What else could explain it better? This myth was the only thing my sane mind could comprehend. So what next?

I sighed as my gaze drifted to the kitchen window still wondering what to do. Kai had just warned me not to go out but my itchy legs couldn't contain me there any longer and most importantly, there was no time to waste.

Sauntering through the crowded and noisy village reminded me of the good old market days. My curiosity got sparked as I watched the villagers and admired their outfits which were a clear depiction of the olden days. As I went deeper, I realized that wherever I stumbled, people would stare at me like a ghost. I had never gotten this much attention and something was starting to feel off. Maybe they had noticed that I didn't belong here. 

"Way to go Phoebe. You couldn't even act normal.” I mumbled as I turned to go back, only to bump into two soldiers. I stopped in my tracks as I stared at them astonishingly. 

“Found you!” one of them said as he unhurriedly withdrew his sword. I could feel the adrenaline rush through my veins as I took a step back and a voice echoed in my mind, "Run! Run!" And before I even knew it, my legs had already started moving. The men were at per with me but I was surprisingly able to outwit them. Sadly, I was lost again in the woods and now near a small lake. My throat was perched and I could hardly breathe. As I knelt down to drink some water, my hair, that was initially tied up in a bun fell open and covered my face. I screamed, falling flat, my back on the ground. 

What's the meaning of this! Did I age overnight! My hands shook as I slowly touched my silvery white hair tracing it back to my scalp. I tried washing it with water but soon realized that that was its natural color. How is this even possible? I shook tremendously.

Unless...

I stopped to glance at my reflection in the water only to be left in shock. The girl in the water... wasn't me but someone else. She had ocean blue eyes and her warm golden skin tone glowed under the bright sun. “Wow!” I exclaimed as I glanced at her with awe. It was the kind of beauty that could only be sought in fairytales. I ran my fingers through my face feeling my soft smooth skin. Everything felt so real yet it all didn't make any sense. 

If my soul is residing in her body then where is she now? I paused for a moment as I swallowed a huge gulp trying to process this information.

"Did we exchange lives? And if we did, then why do I still have the pocket watch with me?"I could feel myself gradually going crazy. I was more confused than ever and trying to put the pieces together left me on dead ends. I let out a quiet sigh of helplessness as my lips curved over my teeth.

"Nyssa!" A warm voice spoke behind me followed by a tap on my shoulder. 

"Huh," I pushed my hair back from my face as I looked over my shoulder.

"Kai! What are you doing here?"

"I think I should be the one asking you that," he said, raising his brow.

I put on a cheeky smile as I rubbed my arm, "Sorry, I was just curious to know about this place.” He sighed as he sat by me with his rod and basket completely ignoring my apology.

"I said I'm sorry!" I shouted frustratingly.

"Okay," he answered placidly, making me even more irritated.

"So, when are you going to tell me about this forbidden magic?"

"You would have known if you at least listened to me and stayed at home," He answered, still toneless. "It's not gonna be easy to sneak into the village now that the soldiers are after you.”

"I know..., Wait! How did you know I was being chased?" I said leaning back with a confused expression.

"It doesn't matter," he slowly stood up. "Let's just head back." I watched as he silently led the way, still suspicious of him. Maybe there was a reason the soldiers were after me and he knew it. I sighed as I covered my head with my hood and followed him.

                      **********

"So, you're back," Kai's grandmother rumbled, giving me a dismissive blink.

"I just want to know about this forbidden magic and how it might have affected me," I said, literally not understanding what her issue was with me.

"Sit down then, I don't have all the time in the world," she growled and sat adjacent to Levi. "What specifically do you want to know?"

"Everything," I said with a sharpness in my tone. It was already night time and all of us sat around the small round cedar table.

The old woman then began explaining.

"Forbidden magic originated from the Nova clan of our empire.”

“Empire?” I shot her a quizzical look. 

“Yes Nyssa, we are in the Nova Empire.” Levi answered, almost shocked that I didn't know.

“Oh! So there must be other empires,” I chuckled nervously. “Please continue.”

 

“Back the….”

“If I may ask.” I interrupted, earning myself an irritated look from the old lady.

“Sorry about that but I'm just curious to know. Why was the empire named after the Nova Clan?” I asked.

“That was what I was about to explain,” she answered in a grumpy tone. “The Nova Clan were believed to be the founders of this empire hence the name. The clan represented youth and a new beginning and coincidentally that name fit so well for a land that had suffered the aftermath of war.”

“So, were they also the founders of magic in this world?” I asked, wearing my confused look.

“No. Magic existed from the very beginning but became rare at some point in history,” the old lady answered calmly. “The Nova Clan just happened to revive it again. They introduced it to us by teaching us different spells and complex incantations.”

I glanced at her speculatively. This land probably just operated on myths. I had heard of magic before but it was only in stories and most of its use seemed to be connected to witchcraft.

“What happened after fixing our land and teaching the people magic? Did they take over?” Levi abruptly cut short my thoughts with his question.

“No, they did not. Their intention had never been to take over. Instead, a royal bloodline was established from the royal clans that had remained like the Tora Clan. All the Nova Clan ever wanted was to establish peace and live in harmony with others. But sadly, it didn't last long.” Her eyes shut as if reminiscing. “Their capabilities slowly brewed jealousy among the people of our empire.”

“How come? I mean, wasn't everyone able to access magic or was it because of something else.” I asked.

She let out a sigh, “The Nova Clan were just…different.”

“How different?” Kai asked.

“Unlike us, they were bestowed with magic since birth. They never had to train to have it, it just manifested in them however they wanted. Their aura was bright and beautiful unlike of any magic users. Their godly capabilities became an envy for many who sought their magic and soon it led to the emergence of a deadly gang.”

“A gang!?”

“Let me guess, The Redblood?” Levi's eyes narrowed like that of a fox as the old lady nodded in approval.

I stared at them meticulously, waiting for an explanation of whatever that was.

2