The Cry of the Raijuu
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She was getting sicker. At first it was forgetting simple things like my name, and she’d just say it was tiredness. Then she couldn’t stand for long and spent most of her day sat at the window watching the birds. Even the priest moved more than her, and he was old.
The bright morning light woke me early and I had planned on getting up to join my parents in the kitchen, until my father spoke.
“Put the bowl down, I will call for help. The neighbour can prepare breakfast for you and Hirotoshi.”

“And what sort of wife would I be if I couldn’t take care of the family? I am fine, I just got too close to the fire and got dizzy.”

“No you’re not.” My father lowered his voice further, but even from the bedroom I could hear the low rumble. “You are getting weaker. Hirotoshi needs to be learning in the forge with me, not staying here—”

“He doesn’t stay here, he forages. Without him we wouldn’t be able to eat.”

I winced, keeping my eyes firmly shut. Did my father not understand how important it was to give Inari peaches? The priest had assured me it was the deity’s favourite food. And one day Inari would save us, healing my mother, I was sure of it.

“Will you please sit down? Hirotoshi will awaken soon, he can’t see you like this.” My father’s heavy footsteps approached the bedroom doorway. “Hirotoshi? Time to get up.”

I pretended to wake, letting out the biggest yawn. “Father, did I sleep too much?”

“No, it’s only just dawn. You are coming with me to the forge today.”

“But what about the peaches?”

“Later.”

I nodded. I couldn’t disobey my father. Instead, I’d work twice as hard so there was time to collect peaches before sunset.

Rising from my sleeping mat, I quickly dressed into my blue yukata. The light material would keep me cool enough as I helped out in the forge. I wasn’t allowed to touch the hot metal yet, instead I hammered alongside my father. Together we worked on many tools like spades and sickles, and when my arms couldn’t hold the hammer and longer, I’d work the bellows and keep the fire burning hot. Just like my father and grandfather and those before them, I’d become a blacksmith. And then we’d have money again. Our house was a luxury some couldn’t afford, we had a separate bedroom. Before I was born my family was richer, the forge burned bright and hot every day, and my father even had help. Many tools and sharp arrowheads were commissioned or sold in the markets. However the supply of iron had become more expensive and trips weren’t taken as often. Once I was older, I promised I would go for him.

“Ohayo,” I said to my parents as I walked into the main room.

“Ohayo,” my mother greeted back. She knelt by the window, tucking her hands in her lap, a bandage covered one, the cloth spilling out on the worn tatami mat. “Good luck in the forge today.”

Would she be safe alone? “Thank you, I am going to the shrine later. Shall I take the last two peaches?”

“Take one for yourself, I am sure Inari can spare a peach so my son won’t go hungry this morning.”

I moved to the woven bowl we kept in the kitchen and plucked out two peaches. A few days old now, the skin had started to wrinkle but I knew Inari would still enjoy them. One for her, one for her foxes. I didn’t need one.

“I’ll take the basket with me today, once I have finished in the forge I’ll find us something fresh to eat for later.”

“You’re a good son,” she replied, eyes crinkling in the corners.

My father sat beside her, watching every move. His lips were tight and thin, keeping back anger I knew brewed inside him. Avoiding his gaze, I hurried to slip the basket on my shoulders ready for later.

“Shall we leave now?” Without a word, he rose to his feet and walked to the doorway. “Goodbye!” I called before following.

The rest of the village still slept as we made our way to the forge. The silence pricked at my skin. All I wanted to do was apologise to try and make him happy again. But I can help him and Inari, there is lots of time. I would show him.

As soon as we arrived I hopped to work, first I relit the fire, kindling the warm glow of flames before feeding it with air from the bellows. My father inspected the work from yesterday, checking the edges and strength of the metal in the daylight. He nodded, his tied hair bobbing with the movement. The quenching had been successful.

I quickly lost myself in my tasks, listening to each command and obeying. Today the metal was struck harder, truer, anything to take our minds off my mother. Instead, my thoughts drifted to Inari. Our shrine for her was small, but I made it up to her with all my offerings.

In the beginning we’d go together during a break for food. We’d leave the heat of the forge to speak to Inari, offering cups of sake and berries I’d found out in the forest. Foxes loved berries, and she was a deity to them and kitsune. She also protected blacksmiths, and in turn, our family. That’s what my mother told me. Sometimes I wasn’t sure.

The sun rose higher and started to fall again. The heat of the summer stuck to our sweaty skin and all I wanted to do was wash.

“That’s enough for today,” my father said, looking over our work.

I looked up at him. “Are you sure?”

“I need to work on arrowheads now, I can do that alone. You wanted to go foraging, right?”

“Yes.” I put down the heavy hammer next to the forge. “Is there time?”

“If you go quickly now.”

I grinned at him and retrieved the basket I used for carrying what I found. “I’m going to go to the orchard for the peaches.” I bowed to him. “Thank you, I’ll see you later.”

I missed his response as I span around and ran off, the woven basket bouncing against my back. I needed all the time I could get to collect my prize. The peach trees stooped lower than the pines and chestnuts but they remained just out of my reach. It wasn’t long before I left the village behind and travelled deeper into the forest. My mother told me that many years before even her mother was born, the villagers had found a secret orchard in the forest. Each year they encouraged it to grow larger and give the juiciest fruit and now we had a bounty to pick from.

Before she got too tired, she’d follow me to the orchard, showing me which ones to pick, reaching for the ones I couldn’t get, and showing me which ones to leave behind for the other animals in the forest. That was important. Last winter she’d fallen and spent days laying down exhausted struggling to remember things. Since then I had prayed extra hard to Inari for her to get better and visited the orchard alone, so she could rest.

Many people before me had wandered through the forest, leaving a worn path all the way to the orchard. I followed it with ease while looking around at the trees. Birds were happily singing; a robin flew from one tree to another, dipping under thick branches. I paused. On the ground a fairy pitta bashed an earthworm against a pebble, ready to feed it’s young. One look at me, and it flew off quick; it’s shining blue and black feathers catching the light. They didn’t show themselves often; I smiled, maybe today was a lucky day.

A little further and finally the orchard came into view; three rows of dark trunks with wildly growing branches, and on each, round pink peaches. I smiled, it was time to get to work.

It felt like I’d just started picking, but my basket was soon filling. Just one more peach and I’d go home. I really would this time.

Although… I could see three more ripe enough to pick… but the sun was setting and I still had to make my way back. A few more would be fine, right? Mother would enjoy the peaches and this way I could share more between her and Inari. The few extra minutes would be worth it, especially when they were ripening fast. I didn’t want to lose them to the forest animals; these were for me. Anyway, I’d made sure to throw the rotting ones on the ground. The animals wouldn’t go hungry.

In the evening glow, the pink fruit burned red and orange; I continued grabbing them with delicate hunger. Standing up on the very tips of my toes, I wobbled around and grabbed the tree branch for support so I could reach high. I couldn’t wait until next year’s harvest; I would be much taller then, and the peaches at the top wouldn’t be out of my grasp.

Two more peaches fell away with ease, I yelped as one slipped from my grasp and landed in the grass with a soft plop. Placing one in the basket, I went back for the fallen peach snug between the long blades.

Drip. Drop.

Raindrops pattered down from the sky, bouncing off the leaves. Overhead clouds had rolled in without me noticing, and started to cover the remaining sun. I bit back a curse as I realised the trip back would be harder with even less light. I’d need to be faster than ever before.

And then came the deep rumble I always dreaded to hear. The thunder god Raijin was somewhere in the skies, banging his taiko with large hammers. Would he come for me? Raijin liked to eat children the most.
Fear gripped my insides. Time to run. I wasn’t staying around to find out.

Shoving the last peach into the basket, I slipped the handles over my shoulders and nestled it on my back. The path home was simple enough, all I had to do was make it out of the forest and into the village clearing. I just needed to stay on the worn path, now muddying in the falling rain. Returning my sandals to my feet, I left the safety of the peach trees to return home.

Drop. Drop.

Rain fell heavier now, the skies opening up further and aiming just for me. My thin yukata clung to my skin, and each step became more difficult as the fabric held me back. Was Raijin angry with me? Had I taken too many peaches or was he playing? No wind whipped in the forest and my fear deepened. If Fuujin wasn’t with him sending strong winds then—

The sky flashed bright, blinding me. I buried my face against the back of my hand and I started to run.

No, no, no. Go away.

The low rumble returned, growling louder and closer. And still no wind.

Everybody knew who rode alongside the lightning, Raijin’s favourite pet. Everybody feared the thunderous cries and destruction it brought.

I skidded to a stop and looked to the sky. Rain fell in my eyes and I blinked it away quickly, but I had to see. Every thunderstorm my mother told me to run inside. I’d never had a chance to see it before. Another flash and a bolt streaked the sky followed by the outline of fast moving legs. My stomach tightened. I knew what that was.

Raijuu.

The great white wolf sped through the sky, wrapped in blue lightning. Long claws bit into the clouds and propelled it faster until all was a blur. The air around me crackled. I ran; I didn’t even stop as a sandal slipped from my foot or as stones pricked my bare sole. I needed to escape.

Rain struck the dirt path like a barrage of arrows. The sky was a lit forge hammering swords of lightning. I was trapped between them running through the never-ending forest. The raijuu wasn’t far behind; I could hear its rumbling laughter around me.

My fingers held tight to the basket straps as I continued, eyes focused on the path. I just had to make it a little further, around two more bends, and then I’d be on the outskirts of the village.

Crack! Boom!

Bright whiteness filled my vision. A scream escaped me. Something crashed into my head and I fell on my hands and knees. Panting, I grabbed my head and winced. Splintered wood scattered the ground and glancing up I saw a pillar of fire engulfing a tree... or the remains of a tree. The raijuu had snapped it in one bite.

“Mother,” I cried, “I-I’m scared. Mother, I need you. I-I’m s-sorry I s-stayed out too long. I won’t do it again. I p-promise.”

The raijuu continued to laugh, the rumbles muting my cries. It danced around running on air, happy to strike fear in everything. Even the other gods feared the ferocity of Raijin’s raijuu.

Why couldn’t it leave me alone?

Wiping my tears on the back of my soakedyukata sleeve, I carefully stood back up. My hands were grazed, my feet bloody, and rain stung every open wound. But I couldn’t stay here. Not unless I wanted to die.

I made my way around the chunks of wood; nobody could withstand the raijuu’s power. As I ran, Icontinued to scan the skies. It had nearly hit me once, would it catch me this time? I thought back to the tree… was that all that would be left of me? Would my mother come to the forest to find a pile of broken bones? I shuddered.

A large pine came into view, one I knew well. Nearly home. As I ran closer I could see it battled the rain well, the needles catching each drop. Surprisingly, a man rested under it, safe from the downpour. He wore a blue-black kimono and held a sword in his hand.

“Samurai-sama,” I called. “A raijuu is coming.”

Could he hear me? He was looking up but could he see from under the tree?

“Samu—”

Crack!

I froze, screamed, and shut my eyes, flinching from the deafening noise. Was he dead? Were his bones scattered? I was too scared to look. Samurai-sama… Tears came again and I scrunched my eyes tighter. Above, the rain continued to fall. It was all I could hear aside from my heavy sobs.

Wait.

Where was the rumbling?

Cautious, I opened one eye just a fraction. The pine tree still stood.

What?

Smoke flooded under the tree. The samurai emerged victorious from it, sword in hand. I gasped. There at his feet was a dead raijuu. The white wolf splayed out, unmoving. Just like it, I was rooted to the spot. I barely even noticed that the rain was stopping.

The samurai walked closer, his own kimono now soaking up the last of the rain. “Are you hurt? There is no need to be scared now.”

As he approached, I collapsed in exhaustion. I wasn’t sure how to feel or what to think. And my feet really hurt. I tried to hold back more tears as the samurai slipped the basket from my back before scooping me up into his arms with ease.

“Samurai-sama, did you kill the raijuu?”

He didn’t speak until he returned to under the shelter of the pine. Branches and cones now covered the ground with needles, but it still held strong. “I did.”

“I didn’t know raijuu could be killed.” I furiously tried wiping away tears again, hoping the samurai didn’t see. “I thought you were going to die.”

“Every living thing can be killed, by sword or by time,” he said, gently sitting me down with my back to the sturdy trunk. “Although, even I wasn’t sure a raijuu could be struck down by a sword. But I had no choice but to strike the raijuu or be struck by it.”

The samurai retrieved the basket and peered inside.
“Oh no, are they all smashed now?”

He shook his head. “I think a few are whole. May I have one?”

I nodded and studied the samurai; he was younger than I expected, all the samurai I had seen before had greying hair and many scars. I frowned at the unfamiliar flower crest on his dark kimono, and even deeper at the gold at his sleeves. Red string tied his hair back tight. Who was this samurai? He must be someone special…
Kneeling, he inspected my bare feet, pulling out a length of cloth from his kimono. “Where are your sandals?” Gently, he started wrapping each foot and tying it tight. “It’s not too bad, feet bleed a lot and so wounds appear scarier than they truly are.”

“I lost them running away. I couldn’t stop.”

“You’re safe now.” He smiled. “Let me introduce myself, my name is Akitsura Betsugi. I am a wandering samurai enjoying the forest… or was, until the storm started. And who are you?”
“Hirotoshi Aoi.” I pointed in the rough direction towards my house. “I live in the village just outside of the forest.”
Betsugi-sama finished wrapping my feet and reached for a peach before sitting down beside me. As he took a bite I looked to his sword laying unbroken on the needles.
“Betsugi-sama, what of your sword, the great raijuu killer? Is it something special to survive unbroken?”

“Hmm? Oh, my sword is very sturdy and reliable, forged by a great blacksmith. It’s called Chidori; its name means a thousand birds. I suppose it needs a new name now.” He hummed and reached for the weapon, checking down the length. “How about Raikiri, lightning cutter? A much more suitable name.”

“I like it! Raikiri, the slayer of raijuu.”
I watched as Betsugi-sama continued to check Raikiri before sheathing it back into a white scabbard. The blade glowed faintly with heat but was still whole. I couldn’t believe we had both survived a raijuu, and it now lay a stone’s throw from us. I was too exhausted to think about it, and in the dying light I couldn’t see much anyway. Tomorrow I would get a better look.

Together we sat in a quiet companionship as the rain slowed into the faintest drizzle. A little light still peeked over the tops of the trees and offered a way back home.

“Aoi-kun, I think it’s time to get you home. It’s too dark to go back for your sandals, but I can guide you back to the village.” Nodding, I tried to climb to my feet and winced as the pain came flooding back. “Stop, let me carry you.”

“A-Are you sure?”

He stopped to slide Raikiri into his obi and then bent down in front of me. “Place the basket on your back and climb on my back.”

I quickly did as he said and held onto his shoulders tight as he stood up. Betsugi-sama’s wet hair stuck to my face and I had to lean to one side to avoid it. Together we started back on the path, heading towards the village. Trees towered around us, looming in the dying light. I worried raijuu slept in them ready to start another attack as we passed below. They could be anywhere and we wouldn’t be able to see them until it was too late.

“You’re safe now, Aoi-kun. The storm has past and Raijin has stopped drumming. There won’t be any raijuu around now. And you did well to escape this one. Perhaps you would have made a good samurai, had you lived in the city.”

I sighed. I loved to see the samurai who passed through our village or paused there to rest. I always volunteered to help them where I could, from feeding their horses to carrying armour for repair. But our little village didn’t need samurai; it needed hands to help with farming and gathering. And so I picked the berries, seeds, and nuts and found the mushrooms. Then when my father told me, I helped in the forge. On special days, if I was lucky, I also aided the priest with offerings to Inari. In return they blessed our village with more to harvest.

“Betsugi-sama, why did you become a samurai?”

“I didn’t choose,” he replied quietly. “I started training at three years old and it’s all I have known. But now I can see much of the country, which I enjoy.”

“I wish I could be a samurai too.”
“But then who would pick the peaches?” he asked gently.

One of the other boys. Or our neighbour Jurou-san with the missing hand. If my father had moved to the city to be with the other blacksmiths things would have been better. Mother would get treated by better people and I would have been able to be a samurai. But we lived in the forest village.
We were silent for the rest of the walk, and I kept looking for the first sign of the village. Our priest had a small house beside the shrine which sat next to the forest path. He had told me he built it there to be closer to the large ash tree. It didn’t take long before I could see it peeking out from between the trees, lit by a small fire.

“The village is close now,” I said, pointing towards the shrine. “There’s the shrine to Inari. I need to fill it with peaches.”

“Then I shall stop here.”

“What? Why?”

Betsugi-sama knelt down and slipped me from his back with care, then turned to face me. “I don’t wish for the praise and celebration that the village will give me. I want to stay hidden here in the forest.”

I pouted. “Will you at least come and meet my mother and father?”

Betsugi-sama shook his head.

“Alright then, I will walk the last bit myself. See you again soon sometime, Betsugi-sama. Thank you for protecting me.”

“Another day, little samurai.”

I stepped carefully, walking towards the shrine. My feet ached, but I was surprised to find the sharp pains had subsided and as I reached the lit fire, I gasped. The cloth wrapping my feet glittered gold. How could he use such expensive cloth on my feet? Who was that samurai?

“Hirotoshi!” A familiar voice cried out from beside the fire.

“Mother!” A second later and I was tight in her arms, warm and safe. “You don’t need to worry, I am here.”

“I always worry about you, my only son. What would I do without you?”

“You would worry less,” I said with a giggle.

“We worried when the storm started,” the priest said appearing beside her. “I was about to come look for you when Haru-san said you were still in the forest.”

“I was getting peaches when it started to rain. Mother, I saw a raijuu! It chased me but Betsugi-sama killed it. It’s in the forest now, dead under the giant pine.”

“A raijuu?” she cried, holding me tighter and checking me over. “You are very lucky my son. Who is Betsugi-sama? I need to thank him. Where are your sandals? Oh look at your feet.”

“Oh,” I squeaked, not meaning to let his existence slip. “A passing samurai. He left already.”

“That’s a shame, I would have liked to have thanked him. Come, let’s go home. I’m tired and we need to get you dry and check your feet.”

*

The morning brought clear skies, the clouds were nowhere to be seen after the previous storm. I’d woken up extra early, hoping to return to the forest to look at the raijuu before it was burnt. The priest had spoken to the other villagers and ordered the body put to flames to purify the forest; he worried the body would lure other dangerous yokai to us. Shinigami were drawn to the death and could lurk around the body, haunting any of us who visited the forest. I’d never seen the grey human-like figures, but I’d learnt all about them from the priest Shouhei-shinpu. He’d once lived in a village haunted by them, possessing a murderous ronin. I’d stopped listening after that, scared of hearing what he’d done.

I shuddered. How many other people or animals were struck down by the raijuu before it came after me? Would it be my fault if the shinigami cursed us?

I also planned on finding my lost sandals wherever they lay, scattered and soaking. Mother was too worried to let me go on ahead alone, and so I had to wait for my father to join me. She’d seen the gold wrappings Betsugi-sama had used on my feet and insisted I look for him to repay my debts. They’d fought again, my parents, because she wanted to take them to the river to wash away the dirt. All her worrying had tired her out again, that’s what my father said.
Mother had woken before me, she didn’t sleep much any more. I wondered if she slept at all, seeing the dark circles surrounding her darker eyes. I should pray to Inari again this morning. Perhaps she can help me find something to make my mother sleep more.

I sat now on the worn out enza, counting the peaches which were unbruised from yesterday. The grass cushion had flattened after so much use, but I found it comfortable.It also helped me see into the basket where mushed fruit coated the inside.

Smash.

I jumped in surprise and dropped the peach. My mother stood, hands shaking, tears falling. The teapot lay on its side on top of broken cups, spilling hot water over the tatami mat.

“Haru,” my father cried, hurrying to lift the teapot upright.

“I only wanted to make you both tea…”

“It… will be fine, please just—”

“Those cups were a gift,” she cried. “I… I—”

I rushed to her side, hugging her tight.

Her tears fell heavier now and my father joined us. Reaching out, he wiped them away before placing a quick kiss on her forehead.

“Hirotoshi,” he said, voice wobbling with worry. “Why don’t you take her to the shrine with you. Some air might help.”

I nodded and took hold of her hand. “We can look for that sparrow on the way. The one with the golden beak that you saw before.

“But the cups…”

“Father will fix them. He is clever like that.”

She calmed down a little then, squeezing my hand back. I led her to the door, helped her put sandals on, and stepped out into the fresh warm air.

It was a short walk to the shrine, although each of my mother’s steps were slow and heavy.

“When did you last see the sparrow?” I asked, trying to take her mind away.

“Not for days now.” She paused to catch her breath before taking another step. “I think I scared it off. Oh, H-H—my son. I need to rest.”

“Look mother, Inari’s shrine is right there. We can sit and rest and pray. Inari will be pleased to hear your voice.”

She nodded slightly, her eyelids dropping heavier. I rushed through purifying our hands with water so we could approach the shrine and let go only when we stood in front. I helped her kneel down on the bare dirt and joined her. Seeing my mother like this always hurt and I hoped that if I prayed harder today, maybe Inari would hear. Perhaps we needed to set a small shrine in our house too, so she didn’t have walk out here.

“Oh, I forgot to bring the peaches.” I said worried Inari wouldn’t listen without them. “But I promise to bring them later. Once we have dealt with the raijuu. Please will you and Ukemochi watch over my mother, like you protect my father at the forge. She is here today too, please will you bless her.”

I glanced over to my mother. Her eyes were shut now, head drooping to one side. Had she fallen asleep? I reached out to shake her gently and she fell forwards.

“Mother? Mother?” I caught her and wrapped my arms around hers. “Somebody, please help!”

I scanned around, but nobody was awake yet. Only the two white fox statues watched us with wide eyes.

“Inari, please,” I cried.

“Hirotoshi-kun? Is that you?”

“Yes, please Shouhei-shinpu, my mother...”

The priest hurried to our side, shaking her arm. “Haru-san? Please wake up.”

“I-Is she…”

He placed a finger under her nose. “She’s breathing, Hirotoshi-kun. She’s very tired right now.” I watched as Shouhei-shinpu lifted her up with a strength I didn’t know he had. “I am going to take her back to your home now. She needs to rest and see a doctor.”

“I should—”

“Stay here. Pray.”

“But I—”

“Then pray again.”

I cried harder as Shouhei-shinpu walked away with her, limp and almost lifeless. “Inari. Did I do something wrong? Did she? Can I make it better?”

Tears dropped, soaking my yukata.

Why wasn’t Inari answering me?

I sat crying harder until Shouhei-shinpu returned and joined me. “Inari is listening to you,” he said, placing his hand on my shoulder. “She has many foxes which live in this forest and each one sees what’s going on.”

“Then why isn’t she doing anything? Instead it’s getting worse.”

“Inari can’t solve all our issues.”

“But—”

“Hirotoshi-kun, time to dry your eyes. Your mother is being cared for, all will be well. Masami-san said you are joining the group to help burn the raijuu. He said you hurt your feet, how are they?”

I let out a shaky breath and dried my eyes on my yukata sleeve. “I cut them up a bit but the bandage made them go away.” I sniffed. “I was surprised, but mother says the bandage is special, that Inari blessed me. Did she help me instead of my mother?”

Shouhei-shinpu frowned. “No, Hirotoshi-kun. But if she blessed the bandage for your wounds then she must want you to help with the raijuu. I want you to be careful today. Rest when your feet hurt.”

I nodded and stood up. All that remained was a deep ache, but I wasn’t going to tell him that in case he changed his mind. I needed to see the raijuu again.

The sun had risen further now, and the rest of the village stirred; babies cried for their morning meal, and other villagers left their houses.
“Come,” Shouhei-shinpu said. “My son will be joining us this morning, while my wife stays to pray to Inari. Let’s find him.”

I didn’t say anything as I quietly followed Shouhei-shinpu to the door of his house.

“Yori, are you ready to leave?”

“Yes father,” a voice called back, followed by a boy taller and older than me.

“Ohayo Yori-san,” I greeted him.

“Ohayo, Hirotoshi.”

Together we made our way to the forest. Behind us, others joined the group; the woodcutter hefted a sharp axe and his two sons carried baskets. The fisherman joined last, alone; his only child was a newborn they’d named Aimi.

As we entered the forest, it was hard not to start looking for Betsugi-sama. I wondered if he had truly left or if I’d see him again. I wanted to thank him at least once. The morning grew brighter and the skies a happy blue; heat already lingered and I knew it’d be another humid day.
There was no way to tell a terrible storm had passed through as the trees stood tall and green, but as we kept walking, small signs began to show. Usually hard dirt was still muddy and sticky, leaves littered the forest floor, and as I led the way back to the unfallen pine a sandal came into view.

“It’s close,” I said, scanning the area. “That’s my sandal.”

It didn’t take much longer to reach the great pine tree, standing unharmed. Beside it, a gigantic lump of white and blue fur lay in the dirt.

“There is is, that’s the raijuu Betsugi-sama slayed. Nearby there will be a tree it struck.”

Shouhei-shinpu paused. “Truly? You survived an attack from such a creature?”

He approached carefully, giving it a wide berth and watching its face for any movement. And yet it did not stir.

“It’s just as frightening up close,” I said, staring.

The raijuu resembled a giant wolf, with a gaping slash wound from snout to tail. White fur stained red and brown, blue fur dulled, and on each toe erupted a long black claw. If it had attacked me, I would have been dead in a moment.

“Hirotoshi, I am amazed you are alive,” Yori-san said, watching the creature with admiration and fear.

Shouhei-shinpu addressed the group. “We can’t let this body hang around any longer. Shinigami will be attracted to it, and so we must burn it, and anything it destroyed. The children can clear the smaller pieces of wood and pile them. This will purify the forest and appease the gods.” He turned to me and Yori-san. “Gather what you can, while we decide how to burn the raijuu.”

I nodded and got to work. Leaving the raijuu behind, I searched around for any wood fallen in the storm. I didn’t wander too far, keeping close to the cleared pathway. Yori-san worked alongside me, lifting larger branches and splinters of trunk.

“Quick,” the woodcutter said, taking his axe to a nearby half-broken tree, “we must get rid of this yokai as soon as we can. We do not want to draw the onibi to our village. Try to push down broken trees, I’ll take my axe to the rest.”

I shuddered. I hadn’t ever seen onibi, but I had heard many tales of them appearing from dead bodies, blue orbs that swarmed any living creature nearby for their life.

All together we spent the morning clearing broken trees and digging a pit to safely burn the raijuu. Splinters jabbed and stuck in my skin, and my palms were sore by the time we were done, but we’d worked hard and fast until all that remained was to drag the raijuu’s carcass to the pit and light it. The woodcutter had filled it with dried wood, and when it burned bright we’d add the broken pieces to purify.

Each of us surrounded the raijuu, taking fistfuls of wiry fur and skin. I’d taken a gigantic paw, lifting it with both of my hands and trying to avoid the wickedly long and sharp claws. Dried blood splattered over them, dull and black, each one knife-like; I ran my finger over one in awe.

“Are we all ready? Time to move on three,” Shouhei-shinpu said to us all. “One, two… three.”

I lifted the heavy paw to chest height as the raijuu rose from the ground for the last time.

Shuffling along the dirt and into the pit, we carried it to its final resting place and set it down. The woodcutter took the duty of lighting the wood, he knelt to set it alight as we backed away. The pit had been dug as far from the other trees as we could; no other trees were going to die today. The flames took a while to grow, but soon the raijuu began to burn. And in turn all the bad luck should burn away. I hoped.
Fire licked the wood and grew into a hungry beast lapping at everything it could touch. The raijuu’s fur crackled and fizzled and before long it was too bright to watch. Instead of the sweet smells of the forest, the air was thick with a rancid stench. I took more steps back to try and get away, before sitting down on the grass. My feet hurt and my fingers stung. I wanted to rest before making my way back to the village. And I was scared. Anything could have happened while I was away. But I felt too scared to go back and check.

Some of the villagers had left, needing to do their daily work, while others watched the burning raijuu. I wasn’t sure how to feel about seeing it now - it was all mixed in my heart and I couldn’t help but worry over my mother more.

Shouhei-shinpu had found some berries to eat, and I picked them out of my palm one by one. With my belly fuller and warmth wrapping round me like a blanket, my eyes started to droop. I tried to keep them open, but after the morning of work and the heat, I couldn’t resist the call of sleep. Closing my eyes made all the bad things go away.

“Oh no,” I cried, sitting up quick. I didn’t mean to fall asleep. I looked to the pit and everyone was gone. “D-Did they leave me?”

“Calm, little samurai.”

“Ahh!”

Betsugi-sama laughed and patted my shoulder.

“Betsugi-sama? What are you doing here?”

“Watching.”

“Watching?” I rubbed my eyes. “Watching what? We put the raijuu in the pit.”

“Hirotoshi-kun, how are your feet?”

I frowned as he didn’t answer the question but glanced at my feet. Someone had taken off my sandals. “They were sore but I think the pain has gone for now.”

“Good.”

“My mother told me the bandage you used was special, that Inari had blessed us.”

He smiled and stood up. “Keep it with you,” he said, walking towards the raijuu pit. “You’ll need it.”

My frown deepened as he confused me more. Why did adults have to do confusing things?

“Stay there,” he called to me. How did he even know I was going to follow?

I watched as Betsugi-sama jumped down into the pit and gasped. Smoke rose from it and I could hear the fire still crackling away.

“Betsugi-sama, please be careful.”

A few moments later and he clambered back out, kimono unharmed, and smile on his face. He walked back and stopped. “I have something for you?”

I held out a hand and Betsugi-sama placed a sharp claw into it. “What is this?”

“A raijuu claw. I know you were scared, but this will bring you luck. Your father is a blacksmith?” I nodded. “Have him strike the metal into a blade.”

I stared at the claw. It was heavier than I expected, and as I tapped it, it sounded metallic.

“Is—”

“Yes, a raijuu’s claws are made of metal. So are their teeth. It’s how they can destroy trees so easily. This claw is just for you; the others will burn away.”

I stared at him. “What do you mean? Metal doesn’t burn away?”

He didn’t respond, instead he turned his back to me.

“Betsugi-sama?”

He sighed. “Aoi-kun, I am sorry about your mother.”

What?

“Hirotoshi-kuuun.”

I felt the pull of sleep dragging me away.

“Time to wake up.”

I blinked awake. Yori-san knelt in the grass, shaking my arm. The sun had passed over the trees now and hid behind the trees.

“What do you have there?” he asked, pointing to my hand.

I sat up and unfurled my fingers. There in my hand lay the raijuu claw.

“I…”

“Ah, you’re awake now,” Shouhei-shinpu said. “We are going home. Let’s go and check on your mother.”

My mother!

Gripping onto the claw, I climbed to my feet. “Yes, let’s see her,” I said, sleep still clawing at me.

*

A month. The boy had a month left with his mother before the black illness within her took over. I’d heard his screams in the forest in the early mornings when he thought nobody was listening. I sent my foxes to scream louder. He barely slept now. Black smudges had appeared beneath his eyes which he blamed on working in the forge. And yet, every day he still visited the shrine, praying and offering food. The peaches were overripe now, the hot air breaking the flesh down to mush. My foxes didn’t mind, however, and snapped them up happily, peach juice dripping down their snouts.
Even now he searched the peach trees for the last few of the season, his blackened fingers leaving smudges on the branches. Every break from the forge he took to run back here, to the hidden peach orchard in the forest, just to gather more.

His prayers were different now, voicing peace but secretly wishing his mother back from the grave.

Little samurai, I cannot bring a life back from the dead. Let her rest.

The summer was nearly over now. colder winds travelled down from the north and would soon bring snow.

Drip. Drop.

It was time.

Rain fell at my feet, soaked up instantly by the dry earth. I looked up to the sky and felt the surge of energy nearing. Another storm approached; fiercer than the one before, the last of summer clung to the trees and begged not to be ripped away by the cold winds.

I peered back through the trees at the boy who wouldn’t let go. Would he now?

Rumble-rumble-rumble.

Nearby, Raijin woke raijuu from a deep slumber with his drumming. They stretched their paws wide, ready to run across the skies alongside him. A pair this time, angry siblings wanting to best each other in a race. This time my brother Fuujin joined them all, threading cold winds through the forest.

The little samurai screamed as the first bolt threaded through the sky, darting between thick grey clouds. Fear rooted him to the spot, cowering up against the peach tree with golden leaves.
I could not interfere a second time, however. He had to save himself.

“I protect warriors, Aoi-kun. Become a warrior.”

Reaching into my kimono sleeve, I pulled out a grain of rice and flicked it in his direction. It sailed between the trees and tapped his hand, grabbing his attention. The sky darkened further as a deep rumble shook the skies and Hirotoshi slipped out of the tree’s grasp. Taking a stand, he watched with a renewed strength. The same I had seen in him the first day we met.

“I am not afraid of you,” he yelled, hand reaching to his belt. “You will not harm the forest.”

From a black lacquered sheath, he pulled a short blade, no longer than a hand’s length, and dull black. I smiled. They’d hammered the raijuu’s claw into a weapon, and despite it being small, I knew its true strength. It’s why I had given it to him in the first place.

Raijuu danced in the sky, white fur slick with charged rain, watching as the child stood soaking with a blade drawn. One slowed, inquisitive, and jumped down to the forest floor. It approached him slowly, stepping closer and closer I had to hold myself back from going to his aid again. This was a true test and I couldn’t jeopardise it. If he failed now… then he wasn’t the one.

Another low rumble, this time from the raijuu who bared its fearsome teeth at the faint smell of a fallen brother. And yet Hirotoshi didn’t waver. The other one closed in on him, and both circled, ready to strike in a moment. And Hirotoshi stood firm. Crackling lightning filled the orchard, buzzing against branches. And even then Hirotoshi was still.

A deep huff of air rushed out of the raijuu’s nostrils. I could see the fear on the boy’s face, but the blade stayed ready to attack.
Above, Raijin watched the spectacle, drumming along with glee. Fuujin laughed as he sent forth more wind. I scowled at them both, hoping they didn’t interfere.

“Go away,” Hirotoshi yelled at the raijuu, slicing the blade through the air. They backed away, snapping their jaws in frustration before trying again. “Away.”

This time the blade caught flesh. Blood seeped from the nose of the smaller raijuu who whimpered and skittered away.

“Come,” Raijin called, voice booming in the storm.

Large white paws pushed off the wet earth, their claws ripping wide holes as they returned to the skies.

Rumble-rumble-rumble.

Raijuu were strong, but even they wavered with weapons made by their own claws. Unlike most blades, raijuu-forged metal sliced through them with ease. Just like my blade had done.

Even gods feared the ferocity of the raijuu… unless they wielded the right sword.

I smiled. I hadn’t been wrong when I saw into Hirotoshi’s heart.

Turning, I left him knelt in the dirt, blade dropping with a dull thump.

“I’ll be back for you one day, little samurai.”


Thank you for reading. If you enjoyed please comment! I'd love to hear from you. Please check my profile for more information about my stories.

1