Opening: The Golden Scale
36 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The worth of a person is a measurable thing. It is not a matter requiring such depth of intellect, one need not ponder on the question of their value and waste their precious time. An individual’s value is determined the moment they are born into the world and little to nothing can be done in order to change this.

What makes a person valuable? The answer is simple: work.

Everyone in the world must do their part. Every citizen of every land must fulfil their given roles in order for their society to thrive. The common men do their common work of tending to fields, the merchants expand their businesses or offer their services, and the most important of all are the royals who ensure that each and every task is given with the utmost fairness to all. They are the foundation and pride of the nation.

Balance is key. All work is distributed evenly therefore the people will be happy and content. Everyone benefits everyone and if they do not they are shunned. Cast aside by society they become misfits who turn to crime and violence rather than using this effort to become like their hardworking counterparts. To a civilization that relies on each member putting in their contribution the greatest threat is a freeloader who allows the others to do their work and benefiting from it without once lifting a finger to assist.

Disorder is disaster. It is those that threaten the peace that must be dealt with swiftly. However, this is sometimes impossible.

At the absolute bottom of the social hierarchy are the illegitimates. Precisely: the royal illegitimates. They are bastard children of unholy conception and blessed upbringing that they have done nothing to deserve. A deceptive breed wearing the skin of holy children hiding the soul of the devil. They live frivolously with no responsibility and yet because of their only redeemable halves are still leading lavish lifestyles they have done nothing to deserve. At the very least the noble illegitimates (nasty as they may be still) have a chance for redemption if they prove they can inhabit their mortal skin and renounce the devil. Any illegitimate child of any other birth could be freed from their sin however a child born of a golden spoon is nary but a trap. A royal illegitimate is something else entirely. It is a poison seeking to destroy the natural order of life.

These fiendish creatures sully the purity of the rulers because of their demonic parentage seeking to deceive the benevolent eyes of heaven in order to further their own backwards ideologies. They are incarnations of evil pretending to be children of holiness.

The tales of old have spoken of this tragedy in a prophecy: “The one who adorns head of jewel and gold parades as holy child.”

Mistakes must never be born. Heaven does not walk among man, it cannot see the trick hell has planted. This is the salvation of the human sins. However, if it were the choice of the people, these children would never see the light of day.

But all prophecies must see light and one can only avoid the grasp of fate for so long. It was on Winter’s Day and a storm had struck.

In the East, a boy paled like the moon.

In the West, a girl woven of golden sun.

Harbingers of carnage and woe or bringers of prosperity and salvation? We are mere humans, we cannot make such conjectures. Only time will tell. Until then, both sides of the souls' scale will gradually become heavier and heavier and the ending will be decided by the victor of this tug-of-war.

The crown does not choose whose head it lies on, it is the self that grasps its will.

1