Prologue III
6 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Intelligent individuals rarely fall prey to the illness that is foolishness and yet when inflicted with desperation, even the best are bound to make mistakes. Prince Yua Qi is one of those victims. Hours after the conclusion of the negotiations, he remained agonizing over the events that transpired that day. Namely what he believes to be his transgression towards his fiancée.

Hence, when he had finished pondering, he arranged an illicit meeting between them. He is still unsure whether or not she will come, (she may be very cross with him) but he’s made up his mind. She is his future wife and he has wronged her. This is necessary.

An unplanned and unchaperoned meeting between an engaged couple is shameful. It causes one’s mind to wander and allows unbecoming implications to form in the mind. This is even more so for a pair of royals as standards are always higher for them, exactly why he has chosen the witching hour and the room farthest from others in order to guarantee their seclusion. He sent his most trusted aid to inform the princess of this and waited. He set no specific time and had her be informed that he will wait for whenever she would wish to speak, whether or not she should choose to attend.

Hours that felt like years carved deeper into his conscience as they ticked by. His mistake causes him to suffer under the weight of his own righteousness. What he had done and what he is perpetrating is improper. It will be no surprise if the princess chooses not to show herself. Then again, it was quite the surprise that the princess had looked his way then.

The door clicked and swung open. A barely familiar figure slipped inside the room. He was no longer alone.

“Princess.” He breathed out at the sight of her.

In the end the princess had chosen to take the risk and attend anyway. For this he felt a crushing guilt and a momentary relief.

She curtsied to him. “My most sincere apologies, Your Highness. Have I kept you long?”

“Not at all, in fact I…” The prince trailed off. He bit his lip.

Selfishly, he has asked of the princess to spare her time and risk her reputation because of his mistake. The terribly weak princess who is continuously inflicted with illness.

At the very least she deserved a proper apology for all she has suffered from him. Tearing his gaze from the floor, he looked into her eyes before bowing deeply.

“I am the one to apologize, Your Highness. If you think it’s inexcusable or if you view my person with great suspicion, I understand. Allow me, if I may, to assure you that I have no and had no intention to disrespect you and that I will be more mindful of my behavior going forward.”

The princess blinked slowly. This scrutiny lasted longer in his perspective than it had in reality. Her lack of response suffocated him. Finally she asked,

“What is it that you are apologising for?”

“I… I am truly sorry, I was wrong. Entirely wrong.” He clarified.

“What is wrong?”

“I am. I am sorry.”

“Why?”

His answers to her questions appear foolish in context, but beforehand he had thought that it was her prodding him for a better apology. As of now he believes he has underestimated the depth of the princess’ anger. He assumes that it is because she was so greatly offended that she disregards his apologies and he ought to beg for her forgiveness instead.

“In providing assistance to your court member, I failed to take your position in consideration and thus created a presumption of disregard of you personally and possibility of infidelity.” The prince confessed to his mistake.

At this she said simply, “Ah.”

There was a lasting moment between them. Taking yet another risk, he lifted his head and was graced by her undivided attention for a second time since they first encountered one another. This roots him from where he stands and he notices something he has never noticed before:

The swirling of her irises.

It is a curious trait for one to possess. They seemed to shift and change along with the one they belonged to.

Darkening like the eve. Brightening like a clear sky. Golden flecks dancing, fading, and shining. Always full of depth that he cannot yet surmise. If he learns every change in those colors, will he come to understand his fiancée?

They were on him. Fixed on him.

Her hand drops down for a moment and motions him up. He notices the colors of her eyes die down and a shiver runs down his spine. Her next words fill him with dread.

“Worry not, Your Highness. After all,” The princess furrowed her brows and smiled widely with narrowed lids in sarcastically patronizing kindness. “We are not a loving couple.”

A sense of dread fills him. His responsibility and his duty have been drained from him. If she can see this turmoil she has created she says nothing of it.

“Please do not concern yourself with such matters any longer. If that is all I shall take my leave.”

It takes him some time to process what she said and when he had all he gave her was a weak nod. Once she received confirmation of her request she wasted no time in leaving. The door clicked behind her. Her choice of fleeing from the scene as soon as possible was wise and he was relieved that they have evaded controversy. His apology may have failed(?) but her unsullied reputation holds greater importance.

Sunlight prickles his exposed skin and seeps past his white hair to fry his scalp. Still he does not move. When he watched her leave he did not move. He cannot find it in himself to.

His purpose feels like it has gone far, far away from him. How everything managed to be this convoluted in a matter of mere hours and a total of two meetings, he wonders if it would be dishonorable to name his fiancée as the cause. After all, she is a complicated matter that causes complicated happenings.

The princess is a mystery yet to be solved.

1