He Was Always Void Of Warmth
205 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the three days since Liliana's miscarriage, Asher didn't visit, much less call. No concern was shown to his wife who suffered a tremendous loss.

Only Caleb Si, his chief assistant, was present on his behalf.

Just like how it had been the past four years.

Caleb was just a few years younger than Asher. The tall and lean man had been by his side since the first day the latter officially entered Shen Corporation.

When Caleb visited, Liliana was alone in the private ward. Nancy couldn't take time off from her work. Her other close friend, Nadia Lin, was out of town.

No one from the Xin or Shen family visited Liliana. They didn't even send a maid to look after her. Liliana also did not wish to appear demanding.

Standing straight next to the bed, Caleb began to speak. His tone was calm.

"Young Madam, President Shen is busy with the delegation coming from abroad. I'm sorry to inform you that he couldn't come. Please rest assured that I'd take care of everything for you. You just need to rest and get better."

Leaning against the headboard, Liliana's gaze was empty. She ignored what Caleb had been saying. Her palm unconsciously went to her stomach.

So busy he couldn't even text her? His wife who had just lost their child?

Even though Asher didn't want the child, this was too cruel.

"...we've instructed the best doctor here to..."

"Assistant Si."

Liliana's low and hoarse voice cut the rest of Caleb's words. She looked outside the windows.

The winter sky of December was too gloomy as if mirroring her heart. But, Liliana was not anticipating spring's arrival like she usually did.

Caleb immediately stopped talking. Masking the pity he felt for this woman in front of him, he asked in a respectful tone, "Yes, Young Madam. Do you need anything else?"

Liliana pulled the cardigan to cover her better before she slowly turned around to finally meet the eyes of her husband's capable assistant.

A chill ghosted down Caleb's spine the moment he saw how lifeless Liliana's smile was.

"Thank you for your concern. Please go."

"...yes?"

Liliana's smile didn't reach her eyes. Her tone was eerily calm, "Go."

Caleb had a bad feeling about this but he didn't dare to probe further. He had always felt sorry for the Young Madam Shen who never received the affection and respect she deserved. But... this time was the worst.

"I understand, Young Madam," Caleb bowed politely to Liliana, "I wish you a smooth recovery for your body and heart."

Liliana didn't reply. She treated Caleb like air. The man walked out of the ward before quietly shutting the door.

Now, Liliana was left all alone inside the ward again. The luxury and convenience provided by the private room did nothing to lift up her mood.

Looking around the ward, Liliana's eyes fell on a pile of gifts sitting on top of the coffee table. All of them were sent by maids from the Xin and Shen households.

The cards attached all wished Liliana a speedy recovery but she was not stupid enough to think them sincere.

"...if only Grandma is here."

Old Madam Shen was currently abroad for a personal visit. Liliana didn't contact her.

Until now, only Old Madam Shen earnestly cared for Liliana.

After confirming her pregnancy two weeks ago, Liliana decided to wait until Old Madam Shen's return before announcing the happy news. But now, Old Madam Shen would never know.

Both families had already been informed of Liliana's miscarriage, and they intended to keep it a secret from the Old Madam.

"How long do I... have to stay?"

Liliana closed her eyes. A lone drop of tear slid down her right cheek.

In the four years of her marriage to Asher, Liliana only swallowed everyone's disrespect. It seemed all so foolish now but Liliana did so because she knew the role of Young Madam Shen did not suit her.

Liliana had high hopes that everything would be better with the arrival of the child, the next generation of the Shen family.

But...

Her most-cherished dreams shattered that night, bringing down with them the rest of her hopes.

"Sorry... my child..."

A dark and sinister voice had been laughing and mocking her, whispering how useless she was. The same words haunted her day and night, clouding her with hopelessness and despair.

'The child left because you wanted to use him! How could a mother do that? Aren't you ashamed of yourself?'

Liliana even dreamed of lying stiff on the cold white snow with red blood leaking between her legs. The misery she felt was something she never wanted to go through again.

But...

How could she tear herself away if she remained in the same spot?

Liliana moved down the bed and then walked to the window. The sky was murky.

Would her coming days be just as dreary?

Liliana was struck with a realization that she never had the courage to face before.

Raising up a hand, Liliana unlatched the window before pushing it open. A harsh gust of icy breeze slapped her face but she was unfazed.

Not realizing what she was doing, Liliana put both of her hands over the window sill. Lifting up her body slightly, she sat on the ledge while leaning her body against the window frame.

Flurries of snowflakes descended from the sky. Liliana reached out, and the tiny snowflakes melted upon her touch.

Winter reminded Liliana of Asher; void of warmth and so unapproachable. No matter how long she had been by his side, he never looked in her direction.

Perhaps... it was really a hopeless wish to feel spring with him.

"...! Ah!"

Liliana slipped from the window sill. She barely caught the window frame in time. Her body jolted in pain because her torso and legs hit the wall.

"...ha...ha..."

Liliana bit her lower lip, trying not to cry much. The ache that flared out below her tummy sent a clash of numbness and pain surging through her entire body.

Half of her upper limb was still hanging over the sill. Her grip was growing weaker.

She can't fall!

Liliana clenched her jaw. She moved slowly, trying to lower her dangling feet to the floor.

"Hey! What the hell?!"

The shout caught Liliana off guard. Before her mind could register anything, her skinny frame was yanked backward. Her back collided with a firm chest.

The musky scent of a man enveloped her senses. Her tiny waist was secured by the man's arms.

Flustered, Liliana jolted her head up and saw an unfamiliar face. Given their proximity, she could see her own surprised expression reflected in the man's dark eyes.

"Who..."

Before Liliana could finish her question, a frosty voice cut her words.

"What are you doing?"

Liliana abruptly looked at the door. She was still in the stranger's arms. Her blood ran cold the moment she saw the one standing there.

"...Asher."

The piercing stare of his sharp gaze right now was the coldest Liliana had ever seen, striking a deep fear into her soul.

0