His Condemnation, Her Heartbreak
311 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From what Liliana had always remembered, Asher's expression was mostly impassive layered with frost. He rarely showed any strong reaction even when he was happy or displeased over something.

The look in his dark obsidian eyes was always unfeeling.

But, right now Liliana sensed danger from Asher's penetrating gaze. She froze, feeling how intrusive his probing eyes were.

Even though they were not close, Liliana could still tell that Asher was beyond furious. It was alarming how eerily calm he appeared but, his eyes were blazing with fury.

Asher kept standing at the door frame. He was in a three-piece black suit paired with a black trench coat. His jade black hair was in a slick-back style, revealing his entire sharp facial features.

The man's thin lips spread into a straight line.

"Asher, I..."

Liliana clamped her mouth shut, not knowing what to say.

Ignoring the spike of ache that stemmed from what happened earlier, she pushed the man away. Her body bent down slightly, and one of her hands pushed over her lower abdomen.

Hurt... She was really hurting, but...

She didn't dare to spell it out in the face of her husband's inquisitive gaze.

Asher clenched his jaw. His gaze remained on his wife who stood timidly next to a man that he didn't know.

After finalizing a successful collaboration with the foreign delegation from a multi-million company abroad, Asher was reminded of Liliana that was still in the hospital. He only heard reports about his wife from Caleb so far.

Thinking of finally giving Liliana a visit, Asher finished his work early before heading to the hospital. Despite how stoic he looked, he was genuinely surprised to see the intimate scene of his wife and an unknown man.

Asher narrowed his eyes. A dissatisfaction arose within him at the sight of how fearful Liliana looked when she saw him. His seething anger intensified when he once again remembered that he found them in an embracing position a few minutes earlier.

The silence grew stifler. The unknown man was the one who broke it. He stared back at Asher's unpleasant countenance, unfazed by how scary he looked.

"Look, mister..."

Asher cut him off. Each of his words was laced with venom. His gaze remained on Liliana, treating the unfamiliar man like air.

"I don't mind if you have a man outside but, don't let anyone know."

Liliana flinched. The accusation pulled her out of her daze. Desperation ladened her shout.

"No! I never do that! I..."

Once again, Asher interrupted without listening to the end. His posture remained rigid.

"If others caught you in the act, how would you explain yourself to our families? Keep it in secret."

Flustered, Liliana held back the rest of the words from her trembling lips. Her thick eyelashes quivered as a layer of tears reddened her eyes.

The pain in her heart was a thousandfold more than the one her body endured right now. Liliana could hear how her heart was shredded to pieces over and over again.

Opposite her, Asher was still staring at her with condemnation in his dark gaze. The frostiness of his expression grew colder.

How could he...

How could he accuse her like that?

When she had been nothing but loyal to him all this time...

Liliana closed her eyes. Beads of crystal rolled down her cheeks. She was silently mocking herself and the situation she was in right now.

Unnoticed by Liliana, Asher's stoic look had changed. His brows furrowed with a slight twitch of his lips.

Behind the fury, confusion crept in. Seeing his wife shedding tears made him uncomfortable.

This was the first time she had ever openly cried in front of him.

As far as Asher had remembered, Liliana often had a calm look and a small smile adorning her delicate features. Even when they argued over a matter, she still had the same expressions.

Asher's frown got deeper, questioning why should he think about the unimportant subject. He quickly recomposed himself.

Intense emotions were just for the weak. He didn't need that.

"Hey, aren't you harsh on your own wife?"

The man finally had enough of the drama that occurred in the private ward. He was also dissatisfied with being slandered by the man in the black suit for having an affair with the female patient.

Seeing the crying woman incited pity in the young man. He didn't disguise how disgruntled he felt toward the suited man.

Asher moved his eyes from Liliana to the man. From his appearance, Asher deduced that this man should be a few years younger than him.

"She is your wife, right? How could you talk like that? She almost slipped over the window. I just saved her. Was that wrong?"

The man's words caught Asher's attention. He darted his inquisitive gaze from the man to Liliana.

The open window allowed the harsh gust of wind blow inside the private ward, decreasing the temperature. Tiny flakes of snow were still descending from the sky.

Irked by the revelation, Asher opened his mouth, "What did you...!"

"Missus!"

For the first time since he was there, Asher's impassive gaze changed with a flicker of panic. His eyes widened seeing Liliana suddenly fall forward to the floor. Her long hair tousled in the air as her skinny frame got pulled down by gravity.

The man hastily lurched forward to catch Liliana while Asher remained frozen on the spot.

"Are you blind?! Call the doctor!" shouted the man, "Can't you see she's sick?!"

Asher snapped out of his stupor. He took a step back, looking at the unconscious Liliana for a second before he ran toward the nurse station.

Even though Asher had collected himself, he was actually so shaken inside that he forgot the existence of the emergency button nearby the bed.

The stranger heaved out a sigh, thinking about what he had thrown himself into. It seemed like the husband and wife had a bad relationship.

"Useless. How could he accuse his wife like that?" murmured the man begrudgingly.

Looking down at the woman in his arms, the man had sympathy for her.

The lady's complexion was pale. Tiny beads of sweat formed on her forehead despite the cold temperature due to the open window.

The man hurriedly yet carefully brought Liliana to the bed. Then, he rushed to close the window, stopping the winter breeze to continue blowing in.

Shaking his head in helplessness, he looked at Liliana on the bed. She was still unconscious. Then, his eyes lay on something that was unnoticed by both Liliana and Asher earlier.

"What a pity. Maybe I should bring a new one next time."

The man bent down to retrieve the object. It was a small cake box, already dented. He accidentally threw it away when he rushed to catch to Liliana from falling.

The cake should be in a mess right now.

The man tossed the box inside the trash can. His ears caught the sound of footsteps hastily approaching the ward.

Soon, Asher and Liliana's doctor arrived together with a few nurses.

While the medical team checked on Liliana, Asher and the man waited outside.

Asher glanced at the man. He was still silently irritated to see him here.

"You..."

Asher was cut off. The man gave him a disinterested glance.

"I'll leave now. I don't want to interfere with your private matter. But, accusing your wife when she's in that condition is so low of you."

Without giving Asher one last look, the man immediately walked away from the private ward. Halfway through, his phone suddenly rang.

The man frowned once he saw the caller ID. Still, he accepted the call.

"Hello, Mother..."

"Lucas! How about the thing I told you before? Have you got the money?"

The man named Lucas suppressed the urge to sigh. His tone was dispirited when he answered the middle-aged woman at the end of the line.

"...my paycheck is tomorrow. I gotta go, still working."

"Wait! Lucas!"

Lucas immediately hung up. With a dull look, he quickly left the hallway.

0