Chapter 31
44 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   The interior of the dungeon is pretty standard as far as fantasy dungeons go. Long corridors, brick walls, uneven floor tiles, torches on the wall, and a few staircases. There’s just one thing that’s missing.

   Where the hell is the welcome committee?

   According to Catherina, the first nine floors are supposed to be infested with goblins. Now that I’m here myself, I don’t even see one. I waited for two whole minutes. Still nothing.

   This can’t be right. Did someone come here before me and kill them all? No, that’s impossible. If someone was already here, the guards would have told me. Ah, well. I guess there’s nothing else for me to do except proceed to the next floor. Hopefully, there’s something for me to kill there.

   Newsflash: there wasn’t. Nor was there any for the next six floors. Okay. What the hell is going on? Did Kamei get lazy or careless and forgot to fill this dungeon with monsters? Perplexed, I descend to the eighth floor, where I hear some inhuman squeaks of fear. I follow the sound and find nine goblins and a succubus standing a few feet away from me while facing each other.

   The goblins are all dressed in armor made of bamboo and equipped with a short sword and a round shield. Other than the random equipment, they look pretty much the same as the goblins I see in any other fictional tales. As for the succubus, she has long black hair, a pair of purple eyes and pointy ears. There’s a pair of curved horns growing on her head and a pair of bat wings growing on her back. She’s wearing a top that’s pretty similar to a bondage outfit, a short skirt that barely covers her bottom, a pair of black thigh high stockings and a pair of black boots. A revealing outfit that matches a succubus pretty well, I should say.

   As I watch, the succubus snaps her right thumb and middle finger. One of the goblins was immediately torn to shreds. That goblin managed to let out a single squeal of pain before dying. Not even its equipment remained. As for its buddies, they’re going into full panic mode and start running around like headless chickens.

   A dumb character might have stayed, and an even dumber one might have challenged the succubus, but not me. I decided that I'd seen enough, so I turned around and ran. I don’t know why, but my instinct told me that the succubus is bad news.

   “Hold it right there!”

   I think the voice belonged to the succubus. I mean, it sounded female, and all the goblins were male. Ah, like it matters one bit. I ignored the voice and continued running until I reached a staircase which would bring me to the seventh floor. I begin climbing the stairs frantically. At the end of the stairs, there’s a signboard that writes “Eighth Floor”.

   …Hmm?

   Wait, that can’t be right. I just used this same staircase to reach the eighth floor. In other words, using it again will bring me to the seventh floor. I tried climbing the stairs again. Upon reaching the final step of the stairs, I ended up seeing the same signboard that indicates that I’m at the eighth floor.

   There’s only one explanation for this. The succubus did something. I had no other choice but to go back and confront her. The goblins were nowhere to be seen when I returned. I assumed that while I was busy with the stairs, she took care of all of them. Upon seeing me return, she waves her hand cheerfully at me.

   “Did you have a good workout from climbing the stairs twice?” she asked me.

   “So, you were the one who cast an Illusion spell on it?”

   She puts her hands on her waist and nods her head smugly.

   “That’s right! Not to brag, but I’m second to none when it comes to Illusion Magics! Well, enough about me.”

   All of a sudden, she’s right in front of me. she was so quick I couldn’t even react.
  
   “Don’t you think this place is awesome? It’s a whole area of underground playground! Plus there’s all those creatures or whatnot that I’ve never seen before! Do you think there will be more if we keep on going? I can’t wait to explore this place more!”

   “I, um, well…”

   Before I could even think of what to say, she got even closer to me. And she’s sniffing me.

   “By the way, you smell different than the average humans around here. You’re not from around here, are you?”

   “Huh? You could tell?”

   “Sure can! I was always told that I have an excellent nose, and they’re absolutely right!”

   “Well, yeah. I’m from somewhere far, far away.” I informed cautiously.

   “Really? Where exactly? From the next continent? Wait, that can’t be right. Faypeak doesn’t have another continent. Where’s this “somewhere far, far away” that you speak of?”
   
   I ponder on how to reply to her. I could lie, but she might get mad if she ever finds out. Plus, there’s no harm in her knowing. Yup, it’s best if I tell her the truth while I have the chance.

   “I came from the same world as Kamei Kyusuke, the human who created this dungeon.”

   Her eyes sparkled like the most brilliant amethyst when she heard my reply.

   “Cool! We Daemons came from a different world too, but a human who’s from another world is totally news for me! So what’s your world like? Is it like Faypeak? Or something totally different? Tell me tell me tell me!”

   Oh, dear. This succubus is indeed, as my instinct has told me, bad news, but in a totally different way. She’s an extrovert, and a hyperactive one at that. She’s being so pushy I took one step back instinctively.

   “How about we exchange information?” I suggest. “I’ll tell you about my world, and you tell me about yours?”

   “Sorry, no can do. We’re not allowed to tell any humans about what our world is like.”

   “By whom, exactly?”
 
   The succubus shrugged. “Beats me. It was decided long before I was born. To make sure I don’t blabber, I was even forced to sign a contract.”

   “Wow, they sure are being thorough.”

   “You know what’s the worst part? I asked around, and I was the only one who had to sign one! Isn’t it unfair?”

   “What exactly did you do?”

   “Lots. But they said that my worst crime is telling the entire Daemon World about an affair that I saw.”

   “That’s it? Why did they make such a big fuss over something as trivial as that?”

   “Cause this affair is between a Demon Lord and a human. I don’t see any problem with it personally, but boy did they yell at me.”

   “Which Demon Lord are we talking about here?”

   “Well, if you must know-WHOA HOLD ON A SECOND THERE! YOU ALMOST MADE ME SPILL IT! How could you? Do you want me to burn? You big meanie!”

   “I take it that they took steps to prevent you from blabbering about that incident as well…” I say dryly.

   “They sure did. Poor old me isn’t trusted anymore…” the succubus weeps. “If only there’s a kind soul who’ll console me with the information about the world he’s from… glance. Glance, glance.”

   I turn around.

   “Well, I wish from the bottom of my heart that you’ll find someone like that. As for me, I still have this dungeon to explore. It was nice meeting you.”

   “Wait wait wait wait! How about, um, Illusion Magic?”

   “What about it?”

   “I’ll teach you Illusion Magic, and in return, you’ll tell me about things from your world. How about it?”

   “It’s true that I’m not doing great at Illusion Magic.” I confess.

   “Right? Unlike every other type of Magic out there, you can’t just rely on spell books alone. You’ll need to get proper instructions. That’s where I come in.”

   “And all I have to do is give you information about my world. Which you can’t abuse since there’s no way for you and your kind to invade my world.”

   “Yup yup! It’s a sweet deal, isn’t it?”

   “It’s so sweet I couldn’t help but smell a rat. What are you hiding?”

   The succubus averts her eyes.

   “L-Look, it’s nothing that you’ll need to worry about, okay?”

   “So you’re really hiding something. If you don’t spit it out soon, I’m calling off the deal.”

   “Wait! Just, give me a few moments!”

   She snapped her fingers, and a pale paper and a quill pen appeared out of thin-air. She grabbed hold of the pen and began scribbling on the paper really quickly. When she was done, she showed the paper to me.

   “Here! This is the insurance you’ll get, so you don’t have to worry about anything!”

   I take a look at the paper closely. It was written in Daemon language, so I had to use a simple spell called Translate in order to understand it. The gist of the contract is that in exchange for my information, she will teach me Illusion Magic until I am well versed in it. During this period, she is not allowed to harm me or any other humans or humanoids in any way. Lastly, while I am training under her, I am to address her as-

   “The Magnificently Unparalleled Supreme All-Knowing Daemonic Deity Mistress.” I repeat what was written on the paper.

   “It has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it?” the succubus asks smugly. “I mean, just calling me master is way too boring.”

   I shrugged. “If that’s what you want.”

   The succubus seems taken aback by that.

   “Hold on, you’re actually fine with it?”

   “Of course I am. While I’m at it, I’ll make sure the entire population of Faypeak knows about it.”

   “Huh?”

   “Oh come on, why do you look so surprised? Isn’t it better the more people who know of your ridi-I mean awesome title?”

   “You were about to say “ridiculous”, weren’t you?” she accuses.

   “I would never, o Ridiculously Idiotic Dim-Witted Bottom-Dweller.”
  
   “You didn’t get any of it right!”

   “I was just trying to improve your title here. Heck, my version sounds even better. I’ll make sure the humans will write down this new one in signboards and tell the bards to write songs. All the future generations will mock-I mean sing praise to-”

   “All right, I get it! I’m sorry, okay? Just call me Lilinsya! You don’t even have to call me master! So please, spare me from that public execution!”
   
   “Lilinsya. Is that your name?”

   “That’s right. My full name is Lilinsya Whispall Syesh Ebonflame Vespershade Oblivionclaw-”

   “I’ll just call you Lilinsya, thanks. Now then, if you would do something about the title I should call you?”

   Lilinsya uses her pen to cross off the last part of the contract. She then hands the pen to me. I was about to take it and sign my name on the paper when I thought of something.

   “Wait a second. There’s a loophole in this contract.” I realize.

   Lilinsya tilts her head in confusion. “There is?”

   “Of course there is. You’ll promise that you won’t hurt anyone, but your boss didn’t. And speaking of your boss, are you sure you can just decide things on your own without getting permission from him or her?”

   “Ah, that. Don’t you worry, I don’t have a boss. At least, not anymore.”

   “...You don’t?”

   “Yup. I was fired.”

   “You were fired.”

   “Was there a need to repeat that?”

   According to multiple characters from the game, Daemons don’t get fired if they angered their superiors or became useless to them. They’ll just get obliterated. If by some miracle they survive or are indeed fired, they’ll just go serve some other Daemons who have a higher Rank than they do. The only exception to this rule is, of course, the Demon Lords who have the highest Rank, and-

   “Knight. You’re a Knight.”

   “Bingo bingo bingo! That’s right! The magnificent me is a Knight! Sir, yes sir!”

   “Knights don’t yell that. Only soldiers do.”

   “Whoops. I always got those two confused.”

   Even though I’m speaking casually with her, my mind is in full-on panic mode right now. You see, Knights are rather special. They have one job and one job only, which is to protect their masters. Only Daemons Ranked Marquis or Demon Lords are allowed to have Knights. That being the case, of course they want their bodyguards to be easily distinguished from the rest of the crowd. Thus, the unofficial Rank Knight was born. I don’t know her real Rank, but I don’t really care. All I care about is that since she’s offering metaphorical handcuffs on herself, I’ll take up that offer gladly. I put my signature on the paper as calmly as I could. And, done. Mine and everyone’s life are safe for now.

   “How do you read that?” Lilinsya asks after seeing my signature.

   “It’s Fudo Kotaro. You can just call me Kotaro.”

   “Huh. Weird name you got there.”

   “That coming from you, who has a very long one?”

   “Hey, I’ll have you know that I got those family names after defeating strong foes! Think of it as my badge of honor!”

   “Must be tough to fill up an application form.”

   “Appli what now?”

   “It’s nothing for you to worry about. Anyway, nice to meet you, Lilinsya.”
  
   “Sure, nice to meet you.”

   “So, when can we start my first lesson?”

   “It doesn’t have to be now, does it? For one thing, I want to explore more of this dungeon.”

   “That makes the two of us, so no rush I guess.”

   “Yippee, let’s go then!”

   And so, I ended up exploring the dungeon together with a Daemon. Talk about an oddly-matched pair.

   There are nothing but goblins on the next floor too. Unlike the ones at the previous floors, the goblins in this floor wear chain mail and wields an assortment or weapons ranging from spears, spiked clubs to bows and arrows.

   “Can I take care of them?” I ask Lilinsya.

   “Sure. They’re all yours.”

   There were quite a lot of the green skins, but overall they’re quite easy to beat. I managed to kill all forty of them in less than five minutes. After I was done with them, I checked my Menu. I’ve gained some Experience Points and a lot of Dilas.

   “How many of those green short-stuffs do I have to see?” Lilinsya asks with a bored and frustrated tone.

   “According to someone who explored one of these dungeons, there’s a boss creature on the next floor. After that, it’s going to be a different batch of monsters.” I informed.

   “Hurrah for that boss creature and new monsters!”

   As Catherina said, there’s a troll on the tenth floor. It’s tall, green-skinned, muscular and savage-looking just like the troll I remembered from the internet back in my old world. When the creature saw Lilinsya and I, it let out a huge roar. I scanned it with Appraisal. Its Level is a measly 15.

   “Yours or mine?” I ask the Daemon.

   Instead of replying immediately, Lilinsya is staring at the troll, no doubt checking it out with Appraisal as well. She then lets out a disappointed sigh.

   “Yours. I’m not even going to bother.”

   “All right. Just give me a moment.”

   When I was fighting the troll, I made sure to chop off its right arm. Sure enough, it grew back in the blink of an eye. I chopped it off again, and then blasted the stump with a fireball. The troll lets out a painful roar and glares at me hatefully. As I expected, the arm didn’t grow back this time. Satisfied with the result, I made short work of the troll. Just like the goblins, its corpse disappeared without a trace when it was killed.

   “Huh. I guess the trolls here are really the same as those from my world…” I mumble to myself.

   Lilinsya is in front of me in an instant.

   “You have that thing just now in your world as well? How about those green short stuffs?” she asks me with sparkling eyes.

   “The green short stuffs are called goblins, while the one I just killed is a troll. They do exist back at my world, but-”

   “Wait!”

   “Yeah?”

   “You can just tell me next time. No rush.”

   “Are you worried about our contract? Even if you didn’t give me any lesson, you won’t burn if I’m telling you willingly, right?”

   “I’m not worried. It’s just, well, I want to take things slow. Don’t ask.”

   I shrugged and decided to let it slide. If she’s not telling, there’s no point in being persistent.

   The two of us continued to head deeper and deeper into the dungeon. The more we venture, the higher the Levels of the monsters we encounter. Needless to say, things are getting more and more difficult for me, and it’s not helping that Lilinsya is just watching.

   Eventually, we reached the sixtieth floor. The boss on this floor is a Basilisk. Its Level is 70, which is way higher than mine.

   “I think I’m retreating for now. With my Level, there’s no way I can beat it.” I tell Lilinsya.

   “Don’t bother.”

   The Daemon points her right index finger and mutters something under her breath. After she was done, the giant lizard fell asleep in a single second. She nods at me.

   “Go ahead.”

   “Um, thanks.”

   I chopped off the Basilisk’s head in quick succession. Once again, not even dust remained after it died.

   For the next nineteen floors, the same thing happened. Lilinsya puts the floor creatures/boss to sleep, and I go in for the kill. Pretty cowardly of me, I know, but I have to toss aside my pride if I want to catch up to my girlfriends.

   The boss for the eightieth floor is a three-headed dragon with a Level of 95. Lilinsya finally looks interested.

   “This one’s mine.” she tells me.

   “Sure. All yours.”

   She licks her lips excitedly before flapping her wings and flying towards the three-headed dragon.

0