Chapter 37
101 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   I guess I can’t be a wet blanket and disappoint them.

   “We’re attacking at tomorrow morning. Most likely, the monsters will come out again. We’ll match the timing and fight our way through.” I decide.

   “Isn’t it better if we did the extermination first?” Catherina asks.

   “If we killed all the monsters before heading in, we might lose momentum. It’s best if we bulldoze through and push on while being filled with adrenaline. We’ll have to leave the remaining ones to our teammates who are not following us to the dungeon.”

   Also, I have a good reason for not wasting as little time as possible. Not that I’m going to share it with Catherina here.

   “We’ll charge in like a bunch of raging bulls that we are, then! I like it!” Darum-san guffaws.

   “You’re a tiger, Darum-san.”

   “Of course I know that, lad! It was just a figure of speech!”

   “I still think my plan is better…” Catherina grumbles.

   “Remember, Kotaro-kun is our leader, not you.” Lucas-san reminds the female knight.

   “Yes, of course I remember.”

   Catherina mouthed something without actually saying out loud. I’ve been learning how to read lips during my free time for the past month, and I managed to figure out what she said without any issue.

   “I honestly doubt anyone can do a better job at making sure all the monsters are dead better than myself.”

   This is another reason I don’t want Catherina in my harem. She is so proud of her own strength that she has a hard time trusting anyone who’s weaker than her. Sure, she would eventually learn to be humble in the game after interacting with Roy the main character, but I’m not as patient as Roy. I’ve met arrogant people like her way too many times back in my old world, and I never enjoyed the experience.

   All of us spent the entire afternoon coming up with a plan that we could use. That said, I was the one who came up with the outline with everyone else agreeing, disagreeing or giving their two cents about it. When we’re finally done, I excused myself to head to the Church. I don’t care how strong our team is. If we don’t have any healer, we’ll definitely be in trouble.

   Beatrice-san agreed to dispatch ten priests and priestesses for the joint attack, but expressed regret that she can’t dispatch more.

   “I am truly sorry that I cannot allow any more of my fellow brothers and sisters to join you.” she apologized.

   “There’s nothing for you to apologize for, Beatrice-san. Rather, I feel kind of bad for specifically requesting Khriswell. After all, she’s one of your best healer.”

   “You don’t have to apologize either. You know how that girl is. It’s best that if she’s with you, someone whom she’s comfortable with.”

   Beatrice-san smiled like a kind mother who’s proud of her daughter’s growth.

   “I’ve been taking care of her ever since her mother has passed away. She’s definitely a good girl, but she’s a tad too shy. I’m glad that she’s finally growing up.”

   “Um, I’m afraid that Khriswell is still socially awkward. I mean, she couldn’t even look at her best friend in the eyes the other day.” I informed.

   The Head Priestess stared at me blankly before gasping loudly and covering her mouth with her hands.

   “Oh, well, um, please just forget what I just said.” she told me a little nervously.

   “If that’s what you want.”

   “That was close…” I hear her whispering to herself.

   I wonder what’s she on about.

   “Back to the topic we were discussing. I will pick out the other nine who will join you personally. Rest assured that all of them will be almost as capable as Khris.” she said to me before I could ask.

   “Understood. Thank you very much.”

   It was already late evening when my girlfriends and I finally returned to Twilight’s Rest for some rest. And I badly need one too, as the stress for being appointed as the leader is giving me a stomachache.

   “Can you comfort me with your boobs, Ichika-senpai?” I ask Ichika weakly.

   My first girlfriend flinched at my sudden request, and her face has become quite red. Seeing her flustered face made me regain my senses.

   “I’m so sorry, senpai! I was so stressed out I blurted out something creepy!” I apologize quickly.

   She shakes her head. “It is fine. Rather, I do not mind complying with your request.”

   “...I beg your pardon?”

   Her face got even redder. “Y-You heard me the first time! Now do you want to do it or not?”

   “I, well, I do.”

   Ichika kneels down on the floor seiza-style, while I sit opposite her with my legs crossed.

   “Go on. Do what you want.” she encourages.

   “Um, okay. Pardon the intrusion.”

   I lean forward and bury my head between her deep cleavage. Her breasts are extremely soft just like I remembered them back when I touched them at Maya’s world. It’s literally the best sensation ever. However, I didn’t continue for long. Or rather, I can’t. For one thing, I don’t want to suffocate.

   “It must have felt like heaven, huh Kotaro-senpai?” I hear Maya asks.

   I turn my neck towards my bed where the voice came from. Both Maya and Kaede are sitting on my bed. One is looking at me while smiling in a really scary way, while the other is looking at me enviously.

   “How nice. I want to bury my face between onee-sama’s fabulous breasts too…” Kaede mumbles. “Or rather, please let me do it onee-sama!”

   “You know and I know that it is not going to happen, Kaede.”

   “Aww. Ah, well. Kotaro, make sure you write a 1,000 words essay on how her boobs felt. I want every single details covered, no matter how tiny. Got it?”

   “What kind of ridiculous nonsense are you sprouting, Kaede?” Ichika demands.

   I got up from the floor.

   “Sure. I have to find a pen and some papers, though.”

   “There’s a stationary shop of some sort right behind Ravenwell.” Maya informs.

   “Thanks, Maya.”

   “Why are you joining in their nonsense, Maya?” Ichika demands.

   “Shouldn’t I have go with the flow?” Maya replied innocently.

   “Of course not! And Kotaro, sit down! I still have unfinished business with you!”

   Satisfied that I managed to tease Ichika, I sit down obediently.

   Ichika cleared her throat before reaching out her right hand and pats my head.

   “If you are worried or being stressed out by your role, remember to consult us. Remember, we are always here for you.” she says to me while smiling radiantly.

   Her kind words made my eyes filled with tears.

   “Thank you, mot-I mean, senpai.”

   “...Were you about to call me mother?”

   “You’re imagining it, senpai.”

   “I most definitely am not.”

   “Wait in line, Kotaro! If anyone’s going to be onee-sama’s child, it’s going to be me!” Kaede shouts.

   “Can’t we compromise? I mean, both of us can be her children.”

   “Hmm, I would never agree to that under normal circumstances, but I suppose you’re special. That said, you’re the second child, got it?”

   “Just to confirm. Your birthday is on the 16th of April, right?” I ask her.

   “Yeah, what about it?”

   “Mine’s on the 2nd of February. That makes me older than you.”

   I was waiting for her to wail and complain for being younger than me, but nope. Instead, her face has gotten slightly red.

   “How many times were my birthday mentioned in the anime I appeared in?” she asks me softly.

   I had to recall every scene in the entire Season 2 just to answer that question.

   “...Once. Just once.” I eventually replied.

   Her face got even redder. She begins to twirl both her index fingers together.

   “Hmm, just once huh? I see…” she mumbles.

   “Do you know when’s my birthday, Kotaro-senpai?” Maya asks me all of a sudden.

   “20th of September, right? And Ichika-senpai’s is on the 5th of January.”

   Both Maya and Ichika’s face have become red as well.

   “Is something wrong? Why are all of your faces so red?” I couldn’t help but ask.

   Instead of replying me, all three of them got up and start pushing me from behind.

   “Huh? What’s going on? Hey, hello?”

   Still no answers. When we’re almost at the door, Kaede stopped pushing me and goes to open the door. The remaining Ichika and Maya proceed to push me outside.

   SLAM!

   Aaaaaaaaaaaand the door was slammed shut.

   “We can’t show you our faces right now, so you’re banned from coming inside.” I hear Kaede’s voice coming from the other side of the room.

   “If you insist on coming in, we’ll be really mad at you.” Maya adds.

   “Indeed. Do stay out until it is time to go to bed.” Ichika agrees.

   Oh, great. Not only was I chased out of my own room, I was even given a curfew(?). I look at the time. There’s still some time before the usual time I go to the dungeon. Instead of going there immediately, I went to a few stalls and bought some food. After stocking up on what could be considered food worthy of being eaten during a festival, I head to the dungeon in Mayrane Hills. Once again, Lilinsya was waiting on the very first floor.

   The Daemon’s face brightens up the moment she sees me.

   “Hey, you’re here early! So, what are you going to tell me tonight? Oh oh, I want to know more about that “internet” that you speak of! Oh wait, never mind! I want to know about Egypt mythology next! Wait wait wait! Maybe China’s one first!”

   There she goes with her usual rapid talking. And she’s being way too close to me. I quickly push her away.

   “Distance, distance! Seriously, how many times do I have to tell you?”

   “Oops, sorry! Tee-hee!”

   I take a deep breath to mentally prepare myself for what I’m about to say next.

   “So, the monsters inside the dungeons had been coming out and causing trouble two days in a row.” I begin slowly.

   “Yeah?”

   “The leader of the knights decided that enough is enough, and wants to get rid of the dungeon tomorrow.”

   Lilinsya’s face fell at once.

   “So, does that mean that this is the last night we’ll meet?” she asks quietly.

   “We could meet up somewhere and hang out every night until I have to leave.” I offer quickly.

   Lilinsya shakes her head. “That’s a terrible idea. If you were found out, you’ll be in huge trouble.”

   “...Wait, you’re actually being considerate of me? I think it’s going to rain blood tomorrow.”

   The Marquis laughs at that.

   “This is definitely your fault. I hang out with you for so long your human attribute has rubbed in on me.”

   “Hey, don’t blame me. I’m not a considerate person at all, so you definitely got it from somewhere else.”

   “Oh, shifting the blame, are you?”

   Even though we’re bantering pleasantly, she knows and I know that we’re just forcing the atmosphere to be pleasant. Thankfully, I quickly remembered my purpose of being here. I take out all the food that I bought from the stalls and offer them all to Lilinsya.

   “You can eat these while you listen to me talking about festivals.” I say to her.

   The Daemon took half of the food and gave the others back.

   “Here. I’ll feel bad if I’m the only one who’s eating.”

      “...Seriously, something is really wrong with you tonight.”

   “Oh, enough about that and just begin already!”

   “Right, right.”

   I begin to tell Lilinsya about Summer Festivals, the different stalls available, foods, drinks and games, and of course, the fireworks. Instead of interrupting me like she always do, Lilinsya is content with just listening and eating the food I gave her quietly. When I was done, she lets out a quiet sigh.

   “And so it ends, like one of those fireworks that you mentioned…” she mumbles.

   “Say, seeing how this is the last time we see each other, care to tell me the reason you want to know about my world?”

   Lilinsya glares at me. Just when I thought she’s going to snap at me and refuse, she lets out a long and sad sigh.

   “It all started when my boss was killed-”

   I blinked twice. Why on earth am I forced to listen to a backstory instead of being given a straight answer? I wanted to ask her, but she’s giving me such a deadly glares which screams, “Just listen to me.” that I decide to keep my mouth shut.

   “-Somehow, I survived, but after healing my wounds, I realized that I’m out of a job.”

   “Hold on. Didn’t you say that you were fired?”

   “What about it?”

   “Losing your employer and being fired are two different things.”

   She glares at me again. “Does it matter here?”

   I shrugged my shoulders. “I guess not.”

   “Exactly. Now stop interrupting me over something so pointless.”

   “Sorry, sorry.”

   “Anyway, I’ve been wandering between Hell and Faypeak aimlessly since then, looking for ways to pass the time.”

   I raise up my left hand.

   “What?” Lilinsya asks me.

   “Couldn’t you have just get your own minions like any other Marquis?”

   “...can’t.”

   “Sorry, I couldn’t hear you. What was that?”

   “I can’t!” Lilinsya repeats a bit louder. “I can’t boss others around because I don’t know how. Serving my mistress was everything to me. SHE was my everything. After she died, I just didn’t know what to do.”

   She chomps on a piece of beef skewer like it had murdered her entire family.

   “So you had been wandering around without having a goal in sight. Eventually, this dungeon appeared, and you met me. The reason you wanted me to tell you about my world bit by bit is to delay the inevitable of me running out of things to tell you as long as possible.”

   She nods in confirmation. I nod too as I perfectly understand what she had been going through.

   “Yeah, I feel you. Stepping out of a comfortable environment is always scary, particularly when you were forced to.”

   “And after tomorrow, I’m back to my regular schedule of just wandering around aimlessly. Yippee.”

   That “Yippee” was so empty and soulless it made me kind of pity her. After that, there was a few moments of silence where the two of us are focused on finish eating the food that I bought. When Lilinsya is done with her share, she got up from where she was sitting.

   “Well, this is it, your second final lesson.” she tells me with a forced smile.

   I got up too since I was done with my food as well.

   “Am I never going to get my final lesson because of the contract that we signed?”

   “Well, duh. Truth be told, you’re pretty decent for a human. It would be a waste to kill you.”

   “Am I supposed to take that as a compliment?”

   “Of course you are. Now let’s get this over with.”

   “Right.”

   Honestly, the lesson was kind of painful. I mean, neither of us were putting our heart into it, and we both know that. Even so, we couldn’t steel our heart and scold the other. I was really glad when it was finally over.

   “And so it ends my proud disciple. Tonight, you have officially graduated.” Lilinsya tells me in a really grandiose way.

   “You know, I was at least expecting a certificate for all the crazy training I had to go through under you.” I grumble.

   “Ah, you’re such a demanding and ungrateful pupil! Fine, fine! Just give me a moment!”

   I watch as the Daemon pulls out a pen and a paper out of thin-air. She then scribbles something on the paper before shoving the paper on my face.

   “Here you go, one bloody graduation certificate!”

   I take the paper and reads it. Once again, it was written in Daemonic. Just like before, I had to use Translate to read it.

   “This paper certificate certifies that the human Fudo Kotaro has mastered the Illusion Magic taught by the great Lilinsya Whispall Syesh (omitted in the rest).” the paper reads.

   “There, are you happy now?” Lilinsya asks me.

   I bow at her. “I am. Thank you for your guidance until now.”

   She’s quite taken aback by my sudden politeness.

   “W-Whatever! Now scram! I don’t want to see your face ever again!”

   “The feeling isn’t mutual, but I guess this is goodbye. See you.”

   “...Yeah. And oh, good luck in taking down this dungeon tomorrow.”

   “Thanks.”

   With that, our weird master-student relationship is finally over.

   On the next day, my girlfriends and I have to wake up extra early in order to prepare for the onslaught of the dungeon monsters. After we’re done eating some simple breakfast, we head straight to Mayrane Hills where our allies are waiting.

1