Chapter 15
4.2k 22 184
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She's following JARVIS directions at her highest speed, when she sees Tony falling. He's a little too far away but she still manages to slow down his fall enough for the suit to activate once again. Luckily this time, it was before he reached the buildings, not even close to the traffic.

He turns around and goes towards her.

'We're going to your house. Now.'

The bluetooth, which previously had JARVIS' voice in it, let out a slight crackle before Tony's voice comes out of it. "Yeah, yeah. Okay."

He sounds tired as they reach the mansion. She sees him fly quicker, towards the roof. He stops above it and for a moment she thinks he's waiting for her until he turns off the thrusters and goes down through the roof.

She tries to catch him, but only manages to reduce the impact of whatever object that now is under him. Quickly flying through the hole, she see what was the piano destroyed on the first floor. Then, down in the lab, he finds Tony on top of a ruined car with Dummy dousing him with the fire extinguisher.

'Are you okay?' she says, as she grabs the headpiece and slowly takes it out of his head.

"Peachy," he croaks. "Though if you tell me 'I told you so', I probably will have to take drastic measures.

That means petting, which she likes, but it's still too weird to let out her inhibitions out like that. So she makes that motion of zipping her mouth close.

"Uh huh. I can still see the smugness in your eyes."

"You didn't say anything of not gloating silently." She rolls her eyes. "No matter. I'll go to the kitchen for some ice pack. Can you take the rest of the suit off?

He nods with a sigh.

"Well, at least it will be easier, with that hole as a shortcut.".

"You're killing me, really," he deadpans.

.

When she returns from her trip to the kitchen, ice in hand, she finds Tony observing the package Pepper left there a while ago while he talks with JARVIS. "Main transducer feels sluggish at plus 40 altitude. Hull pressurization is problematic. I'm thinking icing is the probable factor."

"A very astute observation, sir. Perhaps, if you intend to visit other planets, we should improve the exosystems."

The techno-babble that Tony continues to say flights right over her head. She only knows what are they talking about when JARVIS says, "Shall I render using proposed specifications?"

Tony turns on the TV as he answers with a "Thrill me."

"—Tonight's red-hot red carpet is right here at the Disney Concert Hall, where Tony Stark's third annual benefit for the Firefighter's Family Fund has become the place to be for L.A.'s high society."

Tony looks at her dubiously before asking out loud, "JARVIS, did we get an invite for that?"

"I have no record of an invitation, sir."

" ... hasn't been seen in public since his bizarre and highly controversial press conference. Some claim he's suffering from posttraumatic stress and has been bedridden for weeks. Whatever the case may be, no one expects an appearance from him tonight."

"The render is complete," JARVIS says, pulling Tony out of his thoughts.

Tony motions for her to get near and they both see his new suit. "A little ostentatious, don't you think?"

"What was I thinking?" JARVIS says dryly, sarcasm heavy in his tone. "You're usually so discreet."

He smirks down at her. "What do you think?"

'I think it needs some red.'

"You heard the lady, JARVIS. Throw a little hot-rod red in there."

"Yes, that should help you keep a low profile," JARVIS says, though a couple seconds later, he adds. "The render is complete."

And she can see the image of the future Iron Man in all its flashy glory. She kind of feels proud of her friend here.

"Hey, I like it. Fabricate it. Paint it."

"Commencing automated assembly. Estimated completion time is five hours."

He smiles happily before exiting the lab, saying, "Don't wait up for me, honey."

She floats towards him. 'You're going to that Firefighter Fund place?'

"Yeah, why not?" he shrugs with one shoulder. Though he stops his walking and turns to see her better. "Wanna accompany me?"

She tilts her head. 'I don't think they let 'pets' inside.'

He rolls his eyes. "Not as a pet, but as a human."

They go in the direction of his room, where he quickly chooses for one of the hundred of suits inside his walk-in closet.

'I wouldn't mind, really. But I don't have clothes for that type of event. Or even an identity that won't be dug by the press.'

"Yeah, about that." He turns around to check for some cufflinks, obviously hiding his face away from her. "I kind of made you an identity."

'... What?'

"Don't worry, nothing invasive. You can change a couple of details, but the main thing, maybe not so much. Well, the point is now you only need to choose your name and you're set. Though I chose your last name already, which is Lamat"

'Lamat?'

"Yeah, well, you look clearly South American. So I thought about using a Mayan word and Lamat is the eighth day of the Mayan calendar. It represents 'renewal' and 0new beginnings' and well, with you now being in this world, I thought it fit."

She smiles. 'What about the clothes?'

"Got that fixed, too. There's a walk-in closet in the room I pointed you to use, like, a week ago?"

Right. She keeps sleeping on the couch and just gave it a passing glance.

'How did you even got my measures?'

"You really want to know?" He smirks slyly at her while waggling his eyebrows. "Anyway, pick a name. And no, you can't choose Eva as there are some who already know I've got a ferret called Eva. It'd be strange if I got a friend with the same name, too."

She hums. She chose Eva because it defined Mew; the Mother of life and all. However, she already used the name of one wife of Adam. Why not use the other one? After all, as a human, she will have more freedom to do more things. And the first wife of Adam wanted freedom from him. She likes Tony as a friend, but wants to have a life away from him, too, so maybe her name will suit her well.

She looks up at him. 'I choose Lilith.'

"Huh. Well, I know little about religion, but you've had Eve and now Lilith?" He whistles. "Well, she was the first independent woman. Wanna be like that?"

She nods with a smile. 'I wouldn't want to always impose on you more than I do, Tony.'

"You're not imposing. I like your company. And your food. Still, good name and goal. Though I'm sure she met a tragic fate."

She smirks. 'I'm not afraid of some pain and hardship. Besides, this shows I've got better naming sense than you, I know.'

"Hey, I resent that. Also, quickly change. We will meet in the garage. Chop chop now!"

With a giggle, she flies away.

'

184