Chapter 42
2.4k 10 87
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She wakes up to the sound of people shouting. Frowning at being woken up so suddenly, she doesn't open her eyes, instead focusing on what the shouting guys say.

Something about sending a messenger to the Colonel to report something-something about the 107th Regiment? It's not Jarvis' voice, which has been the one to wake her up lately, nor does it sound like the TV, so—

"When is she waking up?" A gruff voice says. They probably receive a non-verbal answer because then the voice adds, "Better to be up for the shit show that's waiting for us."

She snaps her eyes open and sees Steve talking to Dungan, his gaze away from hers. "Not really looking forward to the report, to be honest."

"I bet," Bucky says, voice tinted with amusement. "Still can't believe you disobeyed direct orders, Steve."

Gabe is the next to comment next with, "Hopefully Lilith will want to help us explain." 

"If she stays," Morita adds dryly.

"She could have left us when she took us out of the explosion." The French accent identifies the person as Jacques. 

"Or two hours ago."

And yeah, that British accent means that's James. All Howling Commandos are near her and already on friendly terms.

She doesn't know whether to curse Celebi or not. After all, she's the one who said she wants to change the plot and the little Onion took it way too literally.

"She's awake, guys," Bucky whispers at the same time she sits up and rubs her face, stating the obvious.

Steve, the first to feel her move, is the one who notices first and looks down, his expression set into a kind smile. He asks softly. "Did you have a good sleep?"

'Yes, thank you.' She looks around and notices with her senses that while Steve is near the front, he's not at the front like it was shown in the movies. Also, the other Howling Commandos are forming some type of circle around her, as if to protect her from sight.

And that's what they must be doing, as she can feel they've entered the camp already and are approaching where she feels the largest concentration of people.

'I heard what you were talking about last.' She floats slightly up and away from Steve's arms, not so far to be seen. This time she doesn't spread her words for everyone to hear, but only to the future Howling Commandos, wanting to remain hiding. 'I'm not against explaining to some of your superiors. However, only when we're in a private place. I'll remain invisible until then.'

Saying that, she disappears from sight. The guys look around, attempting to see her, but it's going to be next to impossible with her floating and not making a sound.

"Lilith?" Steve whispers when long seconds have passed without them finding her out.

'Don't worry,' she says. 'I'll be near.'

Steve nods, his posture relaxing. He then turns to the others. "It will take a while for the messenger to reach the Colonel so they can let us in."

His words are in a pondering tone, as if he was just thinking out loud and not letting her know some vital information. The others quickly catch up on that because Gabe is the next to say in the same tone, "Especially with all the captured prisoners we've got. They will be extra careful."

Morita snorts at their obvious display and sits down on the ground. "Better to relax and wait, then."

She giggles in their minds, which causes them to crack smiles. Then, following Morita's example, they all sit down, forming a loose circle. She does the same and goes to the center of the circle, for hilarity's sake. There's an indentation on the grass, showing the place where she's sitting. 

Like Steve said, it takes the messenger a while to return, motioning the people that has been watching them over to let them in. This time, Steve is the one walking in front. She's flying next to him, watching everything in curiosity. She sees inside a big tent one woman she can easily recognize. Steve must have seen it too, because his emotions light up and his head, which has been drooping slightly from tiredness, is now held high once again.

The crowd parts to give them space, stunned and a man, who hadn't been obviously informed of their incoming, steps out of one barrack, probably surprised by all the noise going on. He looks at Steve and blurts out a surprised, "Rogers?"

She wants to giggle so badly, especially when she sees Peggy trying to rub one eye with the back of her hand discreetly, but she knows what she's feeling is a mix of elation and relief. She can hear Steve clearing his throat softly before looking in the direction of a person who she guesses must be Colonel Phillips, and says firmly, "Colonel, some of these men need medical attention."

The Colonel looks around; him seeing what she does, too: Gaunt, tired faces. He nods. And it seems that the non-verbal clue is enough for the medics who were waiting around to rush in. The Colonel ignores the chaos that's forming, instead choosing to watch Steve directly.

Steve's eyes are firm as he says, "I would like to surrender myself for disciplinary action."

The Colonel gives Steve the same glance over he did to the other people coming in, his eyes fixing on the battered, burned shield he's still holding.

"That won't be necessary."

Steve's eyes widen slightly. "Sir, I—"

"Just how many orders do you plan o disobeying, Captain?" The Colonel's voice is hard, unlike his eyes. Steve's seems to pick out his good mood because he nods, saying 'Yes, sir' to him. The Colonel then turns to Peggy, smiling wryly as he says, "Faith, huh?"

Seems a conversation has been going on about Steve. She's kind of curious to know what it was about as it's been long since she's watched the movie. Some details are clearer than others, but in the end, she doesn't remember everything.

It doesn't matter. It's more fun to see and experiencing everything. Like now. It's clear, by Peggy's twitch of her arms, that she wants to hug Steve, but she stops herself. Maybe because it's improper? She's sure relationships between men and women are more discreet in these times, so it's understandable.

Before she can think of all the old movies she remembers to use as a reference, Peggy speaks something. Eva's thinking so deeply she doesn't get to hear it. She only sees Steve make the action of putting out a big device she remembers him saying was a communication device. Emphasis in 'was' because it's currently destroyed and it's actually surprising it hasn't fallen apart already.

"Sorry, couldn't call my ride," Steve says, looking sheepish and so full of happiness at seeing Peggy. 

It's cute.

Until it isn't.

They look deep into each other's eyes, a palpable longing hanging in the air between them. It's becoming awkward. She keeps turning her head from one to the other, waiting for them to do something, but nothing happens. The tension in the air is killing her.

'She's waiting for you to do something, Steve,' she says to him in his mind. He startles, but the soldiers that are approaching fast with their loud voices and laughter are distracting Peggy enough that it's easy to ignore Steve's slight tension.

Or so she hopes.

Oops.

She moves back, whispering a quick 'sorry' to Steve as she watches him being surrounded by all sides by people who are happy to see him, waving some papers around. It takes her a while to recognize them as Captain America's comic books.

Not wanting to be around that many people, she retreats in search of some of the other Howling Commandos.

.

.

Wanna read 10 chapters ahead? Go to my p@treon c:

87