Chapter 47
1.3k 11 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hi," she mutters as she thanks Peggy mentally for the clothes she gave her. At least, she will not have this conversation while only wearing Steve's jacket.
"Hello, Lilith." The Ancient one briefly glances at her with a nod, before returning to her tea-making, which was causing the scent that woke her up. "Or should I call you Eva?"
She sits back as she finishes brewing the tea in that fascinating way, both hands on her lap as they watch each other. The only sound coming from the levitating cutlery as it serves them both.
"I'm more used to Eva, but, uh, it probably is better if I get used to the other one."
The Ancient One smiles as she sips her tea, motioning her to do the same with her own. She does so, nervously, partly curious at its taste. "No need to be so anxious. I'm sure you've constantly wondered why I never went to you in the future that you came from, the reason I think you can easily infer it now."
"… Because we already met before. As in, the past, before." She takes a shaky breath in. "I always was meant to travel through time, you mean?"
She smiles. "Time is not a so rigid line that can easily be predicted, but yes, I do admit there are certain points that will always are meant to happen. When it doesn't matter."
Her eyes shook. "I can't change the time even with how much I want to, then?"
"Not something so drastic. These points in time are not so many as you think. Captain America was always meant to be and if you had traveled before now, you wouldn't be able to change it. Only the person can change not the symbol it represents. So, be it Steve Rogers or Peggy Carter, Captain America's birth is a fixed point in time."
She frowns. "I can only change variables, not the result, you mean?"
The Ancient One winks. "Who knows?"
"… I don't understand. You just said that these points in time are fixed, did you not? I guess the New York's battle is one of them. And… And Tony's capture might be another."
"Yes."
"Then what you mean with who knows'?" At the smirk she receives, he can't help the small groan that escapes her lips. "Can't you not be cryptic, please?"
The Ancient One chuckles and it's that sound that startles her. She always thought she was a serious character. Kind and gentle, true. It's not that she pictured her as unsmiling, but…. Now that she really looks at her, she notices the levity in her posture. She can giess that it's because she's now a real person and not just a character of films, but she can practically sense the lack of weight in her shoulders. The relief in her is almost palpable.
"Oh, so you finally noticed," she says, her tone reproaching, but still gentle.
She blinks in surprise, no knowing if it was a ploy or—no. She's an empath now. She knows her relief is real, but what…?
Oh.
Celebi.
The time travelling Pokemon did something to her. She didn't—doesn't know what it is but now with the Ancient one's clues, she can guess.
She hopes she guesses right.
"I can change the future."
It wasn't a question but a statement.
"Not yet." She doesn't get the time to deflate before she sees the Ancient One smiling. "But you will."
She perks up. "How?"
At the older woman's raised eyebrow, she blinks. "The… Time Stone?"
She's practically guessing, but she's most likely is right as the Ancient One huffs in amusement as she nods.
"But… Isn't it also part of Strange's artifacts?"
Or is that fanon? She doesn't remember.
"You've not been chosen by the Eye of Agamoto like Stephen will be," she says sipping her tea, which reminds her of her own cup, which is getting cold. "That doesn't mean your soul isn't intrinsically intertwined with Time though."
"… And that means?"
"That you need knowledge of it if you want to effectively use it."
"Oh."
"Oh, indeed. You now just need time, which is something that now that you're in the past is abundant."
She gives her a deadpan stare, which makes the Ancient One smirk.
"So for the knowledge part… You will help me, right?"
"Of course. Though considering your new duties, I can only accept you as a part-time disciple."
She raises an eyebrow. "Which means…?"
"You will not do any practice until you have a more solid foundation of the knowledge that I wish to impart to you." When she opens her mouth, the Ancient One smirks one again. "That means until you don't master the basics, you will remain as you are."
She deflates, her smile dry as she adds, "So dry texts will be my bread and butter for the foreseeable future?"
The Ancient One taps a fan that appeared from who knows where to her chin. "Maybe I can help you with astral projection after learning about the basics of the spell."
She perks up. "Really?"
"Of course. After all, Stephen has showed its many uses for studying." Ignoring her glittering eyes, she adds. "Though for you to be able to learn of the basic of that spell and many others, you will need to learn a couple of languages first."
She blinks, a finger lifting up before she retracts it as she remembers that translation apps are not around at the moment.
The Ancient One gently smiles. "You can translate word for word but I find it infinitely easier to know the language."
She shudders at her words. "Yeah, no. I prefer to learn a language, too. I've got bad memories with that form of translating."
"Oh?"
The Ancient One sounds slightly curious so she decides to share. "I did that for the second half of the sixth book of the Harry Potter series as only the first half was in Spanish. Let's just say that I did finish the book but it was more because I was too stubborn than because any enjoyment."
Another sip, probably to cover her smile. "Did you wait for the Spanish version of the next book?"
"Never managed to read it. I get the shivers just by thinking of it." She does an exaggerated shudder before adding, "I still love the series. Though I admit to only know of its end by the spoilers others gave me."
She stays silent for a long couple of seconds, thinking of how liberating is to speak of something inconsequential of her past, but more true than the half lies she told Tony, who she considers her first friend in this world. He probably suspects something and is waiting for her to approach the subject, but the truth is that her identity in the future of an alien is easier pill to take than reincarnation. So she looks up and meets her gaze. "You know about me."
Her expression is soft as she says. "The rip in reality that you made as you came into this world was easy to notice for someone who holds the keys to the barriers."
She blinks twice, straightening her back as she gulps. "Does anybody else now?"
The Ancient one shakes her head. "You're now part of this universe, and it will be near impossible for others to realize that your soul does not belong when it, in fact, belongs."
Celebi said something similar to that. She didn't understand at the moment but now that she thinks about it, it's weird.
"Like, now I'm a legal immigrant?"
"Basically, yes. You gained your permanent stay quickly, though. You've got to thank the higher tier being that did this to you for being meticulous, at least."
She nods. "I will do so."
"Then lets start the scheduling," she says while closing her fan.

.

.

So sorry for the long wait. I had to move with my other sister and between moving stuff, being the babysitter of my nephew, my official job and normal social life, I didn't have any time left to write. This chapter remained half done for so long. I will probably do another update this weekend for Christmas, but I wanted to give you guys an appetizer with this chapter.

65