Chapter 68
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Looking at the people gathered, Etrius took a moment to think. It had only been a day since it made it’s request to the guild, yet here it was, back again looking at those that wanted to accept it. With Etrius was the young elf from the counter yesterday, Berit, who was introducing the candidates who accepted the job. Gathered in front of them were four elves, each with a different weapon. There was Kira, the lady with the axe that Etrius punched yesterday, the spear elf Andre that was the first to try and flirt with Etrius, a short fat guy named Marius with four maces and a sling, and Cleo a woman with more daggers than eyes. So, two since she wore an eyepatch. Just from one look at them, Etrius could tell that they were annoying. Not only that, but they all seemed to offer an alternate form of payment instead of money.

 

“I’m not really short on money and it’ll take a long time to try and teach you any sort of magic.” Etrius said. “Now that I think about it, I should try teaching Iris…”

“Okay, what If I pay you to teach me magic?” Kira asked.

“Well… Just looking at you, I’m not sure I’ll be able to teach you.” It said. 

“Why, what’s wrong with me?” She asked.

“Well, do any of you know how magic works?” It asked.

“No.” Kira shook her head.

“Nope.” Said Andre.

“Not a clue.” Denied Marius.

“Not in the slightest.” Said Cleo.

“Well, for most elves, you can’t use magic. Unless you're born with the ability to use magic, or you're a human, most magic is granted by spirits.” It said. “And spirits really hate elves, because you people are constantly killing them all to turn them into weapons.”

“Wait, what was that about humans?” Andre asked..

“Humans don’t play by the same rules as elves, so it doesn’t matter.” It said.

“Have you met humans?” Cleo asked.

“What?” It asked. “Nothing about the whole, ‘killing spirits’ thing?”

“Yeah, that is a terrible thing that happens, but we can’t really do much about it.” Kira said.

“That’s quitter talk.” It said.

“That aside, have you met humans?” Cleo asked.

“Yeah I have, but again, that doesn’t matter.” It said firmly.

“Okay, so for the magic thing, how hard would it be to teach us magic?” Kira asked.

“Assuming you don’t have any spirits, it's fairly difficult.” It said.

“Sorry to ask, but can you give us an example of magic?” Kira asked.

“Sure.” Etrius said.

 

Holding out a finger, Etrius created a small ball blue of light, about the size of a grape.

 

“This is the Sphere of Incredible Pain.” Etrius said. “It causes pain.”

“Why is that a thing?” Andre asked.

“It’s fun to watch it go and hit someone.” Etrius said, releasing it.

 

Very slowly, the ball of light moved towards the elves.

 

“…” They watched it in silence.

“Is… Is that as fast as it goes?” Berit asked.

“It goes faster if you try to run from it.” Etrius explained.

“…” Marius tried swatting it away with one of his maces.

“It goes through weapons and armor.” Etrius added.

“Who is it going for?” Kira asked.

“No one at the moment.” It said. “Right now it’ll only go in a straight line unless I release it or it hits someone.”

“Can you call it back?” Cleo asked, being the one it was moving towards.

“Meh.” It shrugged.

“If I move, will it chase me?” She asked.

“Wanna find out?” It asked.

 

She took a step back, and it immediately closed the distance.

 

“C-can you get rid of it?” She asked, beginning to tremble.

“…” The others began to slowly back away.

“Hold your hand out like this.” Etrius said, holding out it’s hand, palm facing her and fingers curled in.

“Okay!” She said, frantically mimicking it.

“Feel your blood flowing and imagine your hand taking the form of a shield.” It said, creating a small shield out of a pale green light.

“Shield!” She shouted.

 

Nothing happened and the Sphere of Incredible Pain came closer.

 

“Try it again, but this time with feeling.” It said.

“S-shield!” She shouted once more.

 

This time however, a faint light flickered just in front of her hand. At first it was like an ember, but soon grew in size, to a small circular shield. Upon seeing it, she grew happy. As soon as a smile hit her face however, the shield disappeared.

 

“Why!?” She cried out.

“You lost focus, try agai-” Etrius started.

“Guaaahhhhaaa!?” She uttered, falling over as the Sphere of Incredible Pain touched her hand.

“Tragic.’ Etrius shook it’s head. “So, about teaching my girls?”

“Can you teach us magic?” Kira asked, glancing at the one-eyed elf crying on the floor.

“Yeah, it would be really helpful.” Marius nodded.

“I would really like to get back to the subject of the job that you all accepted.” Etrius said.

“Yes, but-” Andre started.

“Is there anyone else who accepted?” Etrius asked, turning to Berit.

“There are quite a few people who accepted, but these people are the highest ranking people we have in the guild at the moment.” Berit said.

“Is there anyone who will accept the pay that I offered without asking for something else?” It asked.

“Yes, though I’ll need to conduct interviews to find the best candidates.” He said.

“Then please do that.” It said. “And what of the guild cards?”

“Ah, yes!” He said, suddenly remembering. “We have the cards for you and your daughter, as for the interviews for the others, I have been put in charge of them. I’ll head over with some colleagues a bit after noon.”

“I’m glad to hear it.” It smiled.

“Y-yes Miss Washington!” Berit blushed, turning away.

“In that case, I’m off.” Etrius said. “Take care.”

“Wait wait, hang on!” Kira said. “We’ll accept the pay to teach them!”

“No thanks, I’m not interested in people who’ll waste my time.” It said.

“My body…” Cleo managed to utter.

“Oh right.” Etrius just remembered.

 

Crouching over her, Etrius kissed it’s pointer and middle finger and sang.

 

“Pain, pain, go away.” Saying that, Etrius touched Cleo’s forehead.

 

At that, her body was engulfed in a pale light and she stopped twitching. Opening her eyes, she looked confused, though only for a moment. Upon realizing how she was relieved of her pain, she covered her face in embarrassment.

 

“Oh my god…” Cleo whispered, curling into a ball on the floor. “That didn’t just happen…”

 

“Alright, I’m off.” Etrius said, standing like nothing ever happened.

“W-wait!” Andre said. “I’m injured too!”

“Mentally, maybe.” Etrius said.

“Ow!” Kira said, clutching her leg. “Oh, my leg!”

“Grow up!” Etrius said.

“I have some back pain, but that’s unrelated to this.” Marius said.

“Pain, pain, go away.” Etrius sang.

 

Once more, it kissed it’s fingers and touched Marius’ forehead. With a pale glow, the pain in his back quickly faded.

 

“Oh, my back!” Marius said in amazement. “It’s better!”

“Can I go now?” Etrius asked.

“No fair!” Kira argued.

“Me next!” Andre said.

“Now that I think about it, my legs hurt…” An unrelated elf pointed out.

“…” Looking at him, Etrius created a Sphere of Incredible Pain at it’s fingertip.

“I was mistaken!” The elf said. “No pain here!”

“I’m going back.” Etrius sighed.

 

Even as others complained about pain, Etrius left the guild and headed back to the caravan of maids.

In a realm far away, overlooking the elvish throne worlds, Adriana and Eir sat among many so-called gods. Inclosed in a container that was to be a prison for rogue gods. Despite it’s strength, it shook regularly with a dull thud. Chains clanged as what was bound, clawed for freedom. Space and time was distorted as it attempted to change it’s fate. Once more, Adriana refused to budge, refused to let the creature have its way. Though, only the creature knew of this. It cried out in a way that was almost familiar, though none that were present could tell if it was of despair or frustration.

 

“There are no traces as to the perpetrator.” Aris said, clenching his fist in anger.

 

Though it was faint, Adriana could hear the faint sound of blood dripping on the floor. Deep inside her, she could feel something hungering. Desire was threatening to overtake her. Not for the blood of a so-called god. Not for the creature that claws at freedom, but for something else entirely. The voices inside her were happy. The celestial net was thrown as their beloved one was near. Taking slow, shallow breaths, Adriana collected herself and knew what must be done.

0