Chapter 66
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So I’ll tell you one last time my little Iris.” The elf smiled. “Come back to me. My friends and I will take good care of you. Your kids as well. And those two friends of yours.”

 

Though he smiled sweetly, anyone who looked at him could tell that he had no pure intentions. Not just from the way that he looked at Iris, but from how Iris herself looked. She was pale, visibly shaking and had tears in her eyes.

 

“She won’t go anywhere with you.” Hilda said, standing protectively in front of Iris.

“Tell your goons to back off or you’ll be in a world of hurt!” Touya said.

“Iris…” The elf called out. “Don’t you know that I love you. Just like I loved your mother… Come home and we-”

“What are you doing?” Etrius asked, walking towards him.

 

Hearing it’s familiar voice, Iris looked to Etrius with relief in her eyes. Hearing this, the elf turned to Etrius who was walking out of the guild, many adventures looking in curiosity.

 

“And who are you?” He asked, annoyed.

“Why are you talking to her?” Etrius asked, its voice hollow and eyes empty. “Why are you scaring my daughter? Who are you? What gives you the right to speak with her?”

“Hold right there. Don’t you know who you’re ta-” An elf stepped in it’s way to stop it.

 

Not paying him any mind, Etrius swung it’s hand, cutting the elf’s throat. Stumbling back he clutched his throat as he fell to the floor.

 

“Why are you scaring my daughter?” Etrius asked. “What did she do to you? What gives you the right?”

“Hey! Stop right there!” Another elf said, Grabbing hold of it’s hood, yanking it back.

 

It’s long black hair flowed out from the hood. After a moment in the sunlight, it began to shine a brilliant silver. The elf who pulled back it’s hood gasped and took a step back, however that did not save him. From the ground, a spine of black sand appeared, piercing his ribs and lifting him in the air. As he cried out in pain, similar spines grew from his bones, tearing his skin and spraying blood into the wind. He was displayed as an impaled, deformed corpse for all to see. Etrius however kept it’s eyes on the one who made Iris cry.

 

“W-wait wait!” The elf panicked. “There’s a misunderstanding!”

“You made her cry.” Etrius said.

“I-” He started.

“Bloom.” Etrius uttered.

 

At this word, the elves who surrounded Iris, Hilda, and Touya fell to the floor, face down screaming. Etrius looked down on the elf in charge as he screamed. His and the other’s skin started to crawl as blood started to bubble down their spines. Stopping in front of him, Etrius watched as his skin peeled open and the white bones appeared. Though his legs seemed to root themselves to the floor, his upper body rose with his spine bending backwards. Still screaming, and with his eyes wide open as he no longer had any skin covering him, his ribcage cracked down the middle, and opened up like an eagle spreading its wings.

Moaning in pain, his head shook as cracked spread across the bone. Giving him one last look in his eyes, Etrius watched as his face blossomed like a flower with his brain neatly sitting in its center. His eyes kept moving but were unfocused on anything. Not only that, but his lungs rose and fell, desperately taking in what air they could. It wasn’t just him however, the same thing happened to everyone surrounding the girls. But they didn’t matter. Etrius looked at Iris with worry.

 

“Are you okay?” Etrius asked, looking her over. “He didn’t do anything to you did he?”

“N-no he didn’t…” Iris muttered.

“Good. I’m glad you’re safe.” Etrius said, pulling her in for a hug.

“…” Nodding, Iris held onto Etrius tightly as it patted her head.

 

Despite seeing this, Iris was strangely calm about it. If anything, her heart was more troubled by meeting her former owner. Even looking at him, she couldn’t help but to feel fear, but it wasn’t fear for Etrius. However, Iris was the only one who felt this way. Touya and Hilda paled at Etrius’ actions, though they were slightly relieved when they remembered that it was their boss.

 

“Well, since you’re here, why don’t we check to see about your guild status?” Etrius suggested, all it’s attention focused on Iris.

“Master, forgive me but I don’t think it’s appropriate to do so at this time.” Hilda pointed out.

 

Looking around, Etrius saw that they attracted a lot of attention. Seeing Alister approach cautiously, Etrius very quickly came up with an excuse.

 

“This was justifiable self defense.” Etrius said.

“I-” Alister hesitated. “Forgive me for asking this, but Washington, you are a high elf, no?”

“Um…” Etrius raised it’s hood to cover its hair, which turned from silver to black. “Don’t worry about it?”

“Why are you asking me?” He asked.

“It would be a bit troublesome if I were to say yes.” Etrius admitted looking at the gathering witnesses.

“Well.” Alister said. “Someone such as yourself would do that.”

“Regardless of what I am, can you do something about those people?” gestured to the elves still gathering.

“There's not much I can do when you put on a show like this.” He countered, gesturing to the mutilated elves.

“They had it coming.” It said.

“Murder is still illegal.” He pointed out.

“Aside from the first two, they aren’t dead yet.” It corrected.

“I find that hard to believe.” He countered.

“Boys!” It called out. “Stop doing that!”

 

At Etrius’ words, the bones of the perpetrators, minus the main culprit, slowly fell back into place. As the skin wrapped around them, they started screaming. One tried to kill himself, but Etrius wouldn’t allow that.

 

“She won’t let me die!” The elf cried out. “She won’t let me-”

“Shut it!” Etrius shouted, making the cries turn into quiet whimpers.

 

Alister looked between Etrius and the elves horrified, before his eyes lingered on the one who remained mutilated.

 

“What about him?” He pointed out, unable but to ask.

“That one is mine.” Etrius stated.

“Once again, murder is illegal.” He said. “At best, you’re looking at a fine.”

“How much?” It asked.

“Excuse me?” He asked.

“How much is the fine?” It asked, pointing to the two dead elves.

“Well, if it truly was self defense as you say then there would be no fine but-” He started.

“Good to know.” Etrius said.

 

Reaching out, Etrius plucked the brain from the remaining elf and stowed it away in it’s cloak. As it did so, the bones and flesh fell into a messy pile of gore.

 

“You didn’t let me finish!” He said.

“Oh calm down, it was only three criminals.” It said. “They should be lucky I stopped at that.”

“What even was their crimes?” He asked.

“They made my daughter cry.” It pointed out as if it was obvious.

“I’m sorry but that’s not a crime!” He said. “You can’t kill people over that!”

“But I clearly did.” It said.

“What if it was a noble or royalty?” He asked. “What would you do then?”

“This.” Etrius said, pulling out a severed head with a crown on top.

“…” Alister looked at the head astonished.

 

This was the same head that it showed Hilda and Touya, who seemed to recognize it. Even if it’s right side was more gray then they remembered.

 

“So, are we done here?” Etrius asked, putting it away.

“I need to have a word with the local lord.” Alister said. “Please don’t cause any trouble in the mean time.”

“Thank you for your trust, but I can only promise to try.” It said.

“Please do.” He sighed before turning to some gathered town guards. “You lot! Bring these men into custody!”

 

Spurred into action, they quickly ran up, stealing glances at Etrius’ group before picking up the whimpering elves. Peeking out from Etrius’ chest, Iris watched as they were taken away. Sensing her concern, Etrius stroked her hair to reassure her. With Alister commanding the scene, and many of the adventures now outside of the guild, now was the perfect time to check on Iris’ Id.

 

“Alright girls, come along.” Etrius said, heading towards the guild.

“What for, if I’m allowed to ask?” Hilda asked, following.

“I want to check to see if Iris’ Id is still valid.” It said.

“My Id?” Iris asked, remembering her previous encounter with the guild master of Karnast.

“Yep.” It nodded.

“And what of us? Will it be alright for us to enter as we are?” Hilda asked.

 

Etrius wasn’t sure if Hilda was referring to the fact that she and Touya were dressed as maids, or due to the fact that they were spirits. Regardless, it didn’t change Etrius’ actions.

 

“It’ll be fine.” It waved off. “And if it's not, I’ll handle it.”

““…”” Hilda and Touya were troubled as to what that could mean, but felt they had no other choice but to follow Etrius and Iris inside.

 

Making their way through the crowd, which opened up for them, they entered the guild. Once more all eyes were focused on them. Heading straight to the counter, Etrius approached the familiar young elf who remained at his position despite the commotion outside, and as such, didn’t witness it.

 

“Welcome back.” He said. “How can I help you?”

“Yes, I would like to see if her Id is still valid.” Etrius gestured to Iris.

“Of course.” The elf said. “May I see your Id?”

“Ah! Yes.” Iris panicked at being talked to suddenly.

 

Fumbling a bit, Iris took her Id from her bag and handed it to the clerk, being sure to keep her fingers on the far edge away from the clerks.

 

“Just give me one moment, I need to check with our records in the back.” He said, before taking off.

“Yes.” Iris replied.

 

Standing at the counter in silence, Etrius felt someone decide to be brave. Walking from the doorway, where she witnessed the events outside, the woman with the axe approached them. Running a hand through her hair, she smiled.

 

“Hey girl, you single?” She asked.

 

Etrius reached for it’s knife.

0