Chapter 75 – Kate
70 7 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Are you sure you are ready for this?” It was Kate’s turn to worry about her sparing partner’s health and safety now.

“I am more than ready. I have been waiting for this since the day we agreed to turn you. Let’s begin.” Apollyon raised her sword, her proper sword, no more blunt training blades. She smiled as Kate began her assault. Of course the tall demon parried with ease, even while hiding her injured arm behind her back to not accidently use it.

Kate instantly picked up on how much of a delight it was for Apollyon to see her use her demon body like this, to share in her passion like this and to finally be able to do it all without holding back. Every fear of the future, every regret was wiped away by pure joy.

“Can I ask for a favour?” Kate was still swinging.

“Always.”

“I want you to show me all the places you love. On earth, in Hell, wherever. And maybe some places you think I might like to have my home. We could even have a picnic or two!”

Apollyon swung back this time, but Kate managed to parry in time. “Where do you want to start?”

“Uh… no idea. What do you want to show me first?”

“I haven’t been to the glass springs in a long time. A picnic there would be wonderful.”

“Glass springs?”

“The water there is so clear and its flow so steady that it almost looks like glass. I went there often when I was young.”

Kate lowered her weapon to chuckle and shake her head. “I am sorry, I still can’t imagine any of you ancient demons being children… ever. I wish I could see photos or something of tiny Apollyon.”

“I do not remember if there is a picture of my martial arts class, but I will try to find something to spark your imagination about young demons.”

“Polly, you’re the best.”

“I would dispute that claim, but today I want to be the best. Thank you.”

Kate simply smiled in response. “Let’s continue.” She raised her sword again.

 

Apollyon and Kate were leaning onto the railing around the balcony at the back of the library. With lemonades in hand, they looked out over the forest. The sun had just begun to set after a long day of sparing and cooking.

“I could get used to this.” Kate took a sip of her refreshing drink.

“There is ample time to.”

Minutes were spent in silence, simply enjoying the view. Eventually, Apollyon spoke again.

“I know you can read my emotions and intentions, if I have kept up with your abilities, but there are things I want to put into words.”

“I am all ears.”

“I have found true joy again. Your enthusiasm for the things I took for granted my entire life has been infectious and I hope you can understand my desire to indulge in it as much as you will let me.”

“You may indulge as much as you want. But that’s not all you wanted to say, is it?”

“No, of course not. I did not expect you to be so open to, well, me. I didn’t believe you would ever ask me to have sex with you. I was overjoyed when you did and when we actually enjoyed each other…” Apollyon chuckled. “Well, if we both were human, I would be asking you to consider a romantic relationship.”

“Wow… uhm… I didn’t know you liked me that much. Isn’t it really early in our friendship for someone so ancient? I feel beyond honoured. I could have never hoped for you to… to… love me.”

“I do not feel love the human way, the way you might be familiar with. In time, you too will no longer feel it like that. But, I do like you very very much. I am incredibly happy that you chose eternity with us… with me.”

Kate smiled at her tall demon friend. “I would have picked eternity even if it was just with you, everything and everyone else are amazing additional incentives but you were enough to convince me. You’re the best, Polly.”

“You already made that claim today, but I will still accept the compliment.”

“You better.” Kate laughed. “Now, you always go along with the stuff I want and suggest stuff you can do for me, but what about what you want? What does Apollyon want that I can do for her?”

“You have already done more than enough.”

“No, I won’t accept that. I want to do more, and maybe something more specific too.”

“If that is your wish… It is not something you can do now, but once your training had reached a sufficient level, I do have a request. War was right that I will need a Nightmare who knows me very well to provide me with a mirror to fight. Please, when you feel strong enough, grant me that mirror.”

“I will.”

“Thank you.”

“Don’t thank me just yet, I haven’t gotten good enough at any of the things I need for that yet, but I will try my best.”

“I am still grateful that you will even attempt training enough. Now, shall we enjoy some dinner?”

“Yes please!”

Apollyon smirked at her friend. “Would you be up for something new, something you couldn’t eat as a human?”

“Oh… yea, absolutely.”

“How about arsenic?”

Kate couldn’t help but laugh. “Why not. Fuck, this is great, being asked about arsenic as casually as about chicken… amazing.”

“They combine well.”

“Wait, really?”

“Yes. As you will see and taste soon. If you would excuse me, I will be in the kitchen. I’ll teach you how to use those ingredients when we cook in Hell.”

“Sure, I’ll finish the lemonade, then I’ll be at the reception.”

“Of course.” Apollyon nodded and walked back inside.

 

Back in her human disguise, Kate made her way to the front desk where Eisheth was currently talking to an unexpected visitor: Nirrti. The old Nightmare noticed the new arrival and greeted her with a warm smile.

“Kate!”

“I didn’t expect to see you here today. How are you?”

“Still sore and still can’t lift anything more than a hundred kilos without pain, but I am getting better by the day.”

“I… uh… a hundred kilos?”

“You didn’t know? Or try?”

“Why would I try?”

“Good question actually. For fun? To figure out your new limits?”

“Suppose I want to try, Eisheth, do you volunteer for being lifted?”

The succubus nodded enthusiastically. “Oh yes, absolutely.” She got up and stepped out from behind the desk.

“Alright, here goes nothing.” Kate grabbed Eisheth by the waist and lifted her with ease. “Woah.”

“And I am not even that heavy.”

Kate set her back down and shook her head. “I could lift Polly now. Speaking of, someone should tell her you’re here, Nirrti. She’s cooking right now and you could join us for dinner.”

“Let’s go and at least say hello.” Nirrti slowly started her way towards the back of the library.

“I’ll go with you. Kate, if you would keep an eye on things here?”

“Sure. Not like anyone is going to come in at this time anyway.”

“Exactly. We’ll be right back.”

 

Kate got comfortable at the reception desk, leaning back in the chair and looking around the library. She giggled to herself, there was no reason to, it just felt right. Everything felt right. Her enjoyment of existence was rudely interrupted by the front door. A student from the local grammar school was struggling with the direction of the door. After a frankly embarrassing number of attempts she finally managed to enter the library.

Kate leaned onto the desk and watched her approach. She sounded incredibly embarrassed.

“Oh my god, sorry. I just can’t with doors. Sorry.”

“They are horrible things those doors.”

“Yea, evil things… anyway, I’m sorry for coming in this late. My mum said you were open twenty-four seven, is that right?”

“I suppose it is. You aren’t here just for fun at this time of day, Monica?”

“Hoooow do you know my name?” Monica looked confused and mildly creeped out.

“We know everyone who comes through these doors.”

“Okay, sure. I suppose I would want to know my visitors too, but that doesn’t explain how.”

“That answer is hidden among these shelves.”

“Fair enough, keep your secrets.”

Kate smiled. “I am sure you are looking for something besides that, can I help you find it?”

“Yea, I need to finish some homework I totally forgot about, and I need to name some actual book sources in it, not just internet stuff.” Monica sighed.

“We have plenty of books here, what topic are you looking for?”

“It’s supposed to be a presentation about roman architecture.”

“Architecture is on the first basement floor and some stuff is here on the ground floor. If you want something directly from the romans, that’s four floors down.”

“That will take all night… mum will be mad. Oh well, my fault for procrastinating.”

Monica was actually afraid of her mother’s reaction. Kate immediately took pity. “Tell her to come here and talk to us if she yells at you or whatever she does. We’ll put in a good word. And if you need anything tonight, drinks, food, some company, come back here and I’ll be there. If I’m not sitting here, ring the bell, I’ll be there.”

“Okay, thank you. So, uh, I should also get a library card then I suppose.”

There they were, the words Kate was waiting for.

“What’s a library card?”

 

Announcement
And that's it, the last chapter of The Library. But fear not dear readers, there is more! The first chapter of the sequel The Librarian is out right now, right here.

I hope you enjoyed your time reading my first ever published work and will join me for more written adventures in the future. Thank you so much for the comments and support. See you again in the next novel!

5