Chapter 3 – Set in Stone
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ara is led down the street before they turn into an alleyway a few blocks from the house they'd left.

"It's longer, but we'll get there safely", Says Nina.

Ara nods and continues walking, her head directed to the floor. She doesn't know what to say, or what to think. Something just isn't… whole. The two walk in silence for a few moments before Ara is surprised by conversation-

"What happened?", asks Nina.

“What?” replies Ara.

“Chaung left saying you were in some trouble earlier… What happened?”

Ara stays silent. The sound of the swaying ropes and her family's silence rings clearly in her mind.

“He told me you're family, so…”

Ara raises her head, avoiding eye contact and staring straight down the alleyway.

"He abandoned his family." Says Ara. "and decides to show up when it's too late thinking he'll get to play the hero."

Nina nods...

"Chaung always wants to be the hero… After I'd left Valantis, he showed up and saved me at the last moment too" She adds.

“So you are Valantian, why are you here?” asks Ara dismissively, still avoiding eye contact

“What do you-“ Nina starts responding

“Why would you leave Valantis?” Ara asks again.

“It's kind of a long story…” Nina replies. Ara says nothing in response, prompting Nina to keep the conversation going.

"I was raised in a wealthy family... I guess most Valantians are. So for the most part, my childhood was good- Playing in the dirt with my two brothers in the afternoons and sword training were my favourite things to do back then."

The pair continue walking through the alleyway when Ara notices the dim tones of the isle becoming increasingly darker as she sees 3 childlike souls, trotting around the two of them as they walk. Giggling and singing what she can only presume to be a Valantian song.

"Hmph, I remember when we used to have Fami' Cenam... We'd all come together to cook dinner in the kitchen, as a family." Says Nina.

Ara sees the souls staged around a dinner table, slowly aging as the giggling turns into a burst of grown laughter.

"But when I grew older, Me and my family grew apart… Basically, My Mother and Father wanted me to become a diplomat. A 'lady of the civil service and progression of the Valantian vision’."

As they step closer to the family of souls, Ara watches the laughter fade and a hostile chatter rises. A vibration also begins to stem from what she now recognizes is Nina's soul.

"So you left." Adds Ara.

"yeah. I wanted to go to Aaenhil."

"Aenhil?" asks Ara.

"Valantis’ military district." Responds Nina. "I wanted to become one of the Tutel Coprii. Which means 'The Protective Body' in High Valantian. They are trained by Iveer Musa to become the most skilled assassins in the whole of Valantis.”

Nina sighs, breathing away most of the souls that presented themselves to Ara as a pit begins weighing in her stomach.

"I wanted to help progress life on Luná. I thought I could make a difference in lives that needed it more than those back home, but my family has a diplomatic heritage. As the eldest, I was to be named the first successor of my family's seat in the Valantian senate. But I didn't want that... I left for Dantas and, like you, I thought I was alone."

Ara is suddenly overwhelmed by the intensity of the vibrations that she can now feel all around her.

Stop. She commands her mind.

She drops the scarf from her face to take deeper breaths, but the buildings begin shaking and sounds of destruction seize her senses.

No. Her mind responds. She freezes in place, panicking as a fear quickly consumes her.

"Ara?” inquires Nina,

"We should keep moving.” She adds, but her voice echoes unnoticed in the distance of Ara's mind.

You seek control where there is none.

"Stop!" Ara screams down the hallway.

Her body trembles, her eyes blink open and snap direct above as the skytrain rumbles overhead with its long, steam-powered body plummeting through the tracks suspended in the air. She looks down at her quaking hands before looking over to Nina, who stands a few steps ahead silently observing Ara's behaviour with her deep blue eyes.

"I don't know what’s happening.” Ara tells Nina, her voice shuddering with each word.

"It's like I can't feel my body anymore.”

Ara feels the tears starting to swell in her eyes again, as they plead to Nina’s for guidance.

“I'm not so sure I know what you mean.” she responds.

“No!” Ara snaps, causing a look of concern in Nina’s face.

“I don't feel… Sad.” She says, looking down at her trembling hands.

“I'd say I feel afraid, but…” she slowly grips her trembling hands into a tight fist, prying her fingernails into her palms like needles.

“I just feel like, I need to kill someone.” She says looking straight into Nina’s eyes.

Nina goes blank, her skin tinting pale. She grips the Katana at her waist, stays silent, and holds her gaze with Ara as if she's looking for something she doesn't want to find.

Ara drops her hands and looks back to the floor realizing what she's just told a stranger. The vibrating dissipates as if it were a breeze passing through the alley.

“Sorry.” She says before raising the scarf back over her nose and taking a few steps forward to walk away.

"Kill who?” Asks Nina, standing still a few feet behind Ara and slowly lowering her hand from her weapon.

Ara stays quiet, thinking for a moment.

"I don't know yet.” She responds before walking again.

“What happened after you arrived?” asks Ara

“huh?” responds Nina.

“After you arrived in Dantas.”

"Oh… Your brother found me." She says as she catches up to Ara.

"I was rummaging through the city, stealing whatever I could eat, or trade for food, and I got myself in a bit of trouble when I stole a bag full of Dahai from a drug syndicate. He found me right before they could kill me, and traded his services for my life. 12 years later and here I am, meeting one of his crazy relatives for the first time.”

"hmm." Ara chuckles,

“12 years later and I'm meeting his girlfriend for the first time too.” She quips, looking at Nina who's now walking beside her.

“What?” responds Nina, blushing out of control.

“Did he-"

“No, it's just obvious.” Interrupts Ara, giggling to herself.

“You don't talk to me with that soft accent you talk to him with.” She adds as they both laugh.

"Today's been such a shit day." Ara admits,

"I'm surprised I still know how to smile." She adds.

"Hopefully tomorrow will be a better one. The seas may be rough, but you will be safe with us."

"We're almost there." she adds, as they come up towards a fence. Nina draws one of her arrows and slits a few of its chains.

"Wait here for a moment whilst I check for guards." says Nina before she squeezes her way through the now obscured fence.

Do you want to leave with them? Her mind inquires as she watches Nina walking away.

"Shut up." Ara responds aloud.

They say the crazy ones talk themselves aloud.

Who's they? She ponders in return

I don't know… Seems like something someone would say.

Ara scoughs in annoyance.

Since when did you speak without permission? She asks

Since when did you seek murder without perspective? She hears in response.

Ara drops her gaze to the floor, twirling the edge of the scarf at her fingertip.

Going to Dantas is the only choice I have right now.

No, we could run.

Ara feels her heartbeat rising as she looks behind her. Down the alleyway that brought them here.

Should I? She asks herself, unsure of what to do.

Would I make it before Nina returns?

Where would I go?

Bada a isn't safe. But neither is Dantas.

"Ara quick! We need to go." Nina yells, snapping Ara's attention ahead of her. Without a second thought, she directs her panic to haste. Squeezing through the fence and making her way to Nina.

 

"There was once a time when children of the magic prospered across the land in abundance. This time I refer to. I shall call it the age of heroes."

- Unknown

 

The sound of keys rattling against one another rises as a pair of boots and high heels approach.

"You have a visitor" exclaims a guard as he unlocks the door that isolates a lone cell in a room.

An elderly woman walks in with a head of grey locks, Milky brown skin and a formal dress accented in white and navy blue.

"You're becoming as much of a nuisance as your older sister was." States the lady as she steps up to the cell.

"It's nice to see you too, Ami" Responds Kalan, tossing a stone between his pinioned hands, attempting to keep himself entertained.

"Tell me, Kalan. What exactly was your plan here?" She adds, massaging the temple of her forehead in frustration.

"I don't know." He replies, with his eyes fixed on the flailing stone.

"You know that's not good enough. This isn't the kind of mess that we can just get you out of."

"All I did was steal some gold."

"Wrong. You understand how trading that gold to Nihil whilst we are at war with them is quite the traitorous look." She says sternly, frustrated by Kalan's demeanor.

"I don't need to explain politics to you, Kalan. You know well enough that your actions will always become politics."

"It wasn't my plan anyway." He dismisses.

She swiftly smacks the cage of the cell so hard the rattle reverberates throughout the rest of the room, Startling Kalan into dropping the stone and looking up at her. Giving his full attention.

"D'aliah is doing her due diligence and respecting her duties! Even after Irilene gave you both a second chance, you've gone and wasted it for the sake of meaningless rebellion."

"Meaningless?" Kalan utters.

"It would seem my past reasoning fell upon deaf ears." He adds.

"The two of you used to be the perfect heirs with the perfect bond. Why do all of this?"

"If all I am to you is an heir that you can parade to the other councilmen as a means of you and father feeling as though you've been loving caretakers, then I'd much rather be dead."

"And you'll be getting that wish shortly." She adds, giving Kalan a look of disappointment.

"If you request a life trial, D'aliah will oppose you."

"That's a part of the plan." he responds with his eyes fixated on the ground once again.

"I hope it is also part of the plan for her to kill you." She says, turning to leave the room.

"If you won't die for Valantis' sake. Then die for hers." She adds before knocking three times on the door, prompting the guard to open it.

"Change." He says, prompting her to pause before exiting the room.

"That's why we did it."

Without a word she turns her head back to the door and leaves.

0