Ch. 1: The Black Room
68 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Black Room


It was pouring rain on an early autumn evening, Atlas folded his umbrella as he walked through the automatic glass doors to the common area of his university library. Not many students would be around at this hour, aside from the ones who were just getting off work or were too lazy to get up past three. He shuffled his feet to dry them before continuing over to the book exchange.

"I need everything on this list please." Atlas handed off his required textbook form to the librarian at the counter.

He was indeed one of the students who woke up after three. In fact, it was already six. Just thirty minutes before closing.

Letting out a sigh he sat on a lounge chair in the waiting area. Kicking back his legs as he let his head lean back into the corner of the armrest.

Atlas was wearing his team tracksuit jacket partially unzipped, revealing a jersey with the Reds logo. His favorite baseball team. He had black hair that was almost long enough to cover his eyes, but it was parted slightly, he still made and attempt to keep up appearances for the team. His eyes were a sharp brown and you could definitely tell he spent a lot of time in the sun.

Out of the corner of his eye he spotted a girl in a green apron and casual clothes walk through the front entrance, she seemed to be in a rush and also went to the reception to place a request for textbooks. Partially soaked from being without an umbrella, she left his view just as soon as she entered it.

And here come the part-timers, right on schedule. He found it humorous that someone would be caught out in this weather without the proper tools... Inn their work uniform no less!

He had no right to judge though, this twenty year old 'normie' had no need for a job. He spent his days as a full-time student and part-time athlete, classes paid for with his sports scholarship. Atlas played Baseball in college, though considered a good player, he did not think himself a star, he was content being just good enough to ride out his academic career free of charge. It was his second year here, and yet he still had not fully become accustomed to college life. Not much had changed from his previous life though. No friends and no family, Atlas was sure he would have been military bound. But somehow he caught the attention of the coach at this college. It all proceeded smoothly for him ever since.

The librarian returned with a large stack of books. "Sir, I have your order filled!" She placed the receipt on top of his order.

"Also for you miss." Another set of books, a much larger stack, were placed next to his.

Green apron girl from before appeared out of nowhere and thanked the librarian. She gathered her material with haste.

Atlas glanced over at some of the titles the young lady had requested before she packed them all: Basic Anatomy, Intensive Trauma Care Studies, Bleed Stopper 101, these are some intense bricks of paper.

She hurried off, with her bag stretched to the brim with texts. The largest book she stuffed under her Apron, likely to keep it dry in the rain.

Atlas was just behind her. Hastily stuffing his books in his bag as fast as he could. He wanted to catch up to her before she got soaked by the rain, maybe even offer his umbrella.

She obviously worked at a local café, still had the LatteNext apron on and everything. His eyes trailed up and down before he stopped himself. She was pretty, not really his type. He was taller than her, and she had nice flowing brunette hair that covered her stark blue eyes. She had some casual clothes on under her apron, her style was pretty bland but it fit her well. 

Maybe she is a little bit my type in some places... Atlas shook his head and snapped himself out of his daydreaming again.

Just as they both went out the door Atlas made the push forward, "didn't check the weather before work?

"Oh uh.. yeah, I was in a rush this morning..." She seemed a little anxious, but most girls would be in a situation like this, talking to a stranger at night in the rain. 

Where is your dorm? I have an umbrella we can share." Atlas pointed to it as he spoke.

"East dormitory, 214. But I don't want to cause a problem for you."

Atlas unfolded his umbrella and held it mostly above her. Trying not to force a physical interaction in the slightest. Maybe. "Not a problem then, my place isn't too far from there."

She still seemed a bit unsure, but she nodded in the end. 

She might be a little too reserved, but I can't just leave her to the elements. What kind of man would I be?

The walk to the dorm was longer than he had liked, and this girl was not very sociable. They approached her dorm and came to a stop under an awning. "This is it then..." Atlas folded his umbrella while they stood by the stairs.

"The name is Atlas by the way. Second year, general studies."

The girl turned to him, "You can go now." Then she continued up the stairs without even a word of thanks.

The hell is her problem? My dorm wasn't even that close... She could have at least. "BAH!"

What did he expect from someone he just met? Though she could have at least acknowledged his existence. Atlas' ego had been hurt a bit that day, never had he received a cold shoulder as icy as hers. 

He waited until she made it inside, unfolding his umbrella again, then started to walk towards his dorm until he spotted something lying on the ground near the stairs to the dormitory.

Atlas picked up a small black cube that resembled a neck charm and examined it.

She must have dropped this.

He began marching up the stairs for his second good deed of the day. He knocked twice on 214.

Maybe I should just leave it at the door. But what if it's important to her and someone else finds it? Ahh, you really need to learn to just keep your nose out of other peoples things...

"Hey miss, I think you dropped this outside!" Atlas shouted through the door as he knocked again.

For another moment he looked at the cube again, it was black as night, like some kind of shiny crystalized texture. On closer inspection it started to look less like a piece of jewelry and something much more mysterious.

The door opened slowly and the girl peaked through hesitantly. After a few moments her lips moved, "what do you want?"

"I found this. It was laying down the stairs where I left you." He reached out to show her the tiny black cube.

Atlas immediately felt a stinging in his eyes, he blinked and then an overwhelming force knocked him down. Everything swirled around him he felt a pulsating shock reverberate his entire body.

Darkness.

What the hell happened, did I just get punched? Slapped?

Atlas opened his eyes, or at least it felt like he did. It was pitch black. His head was in pain, it felt like his eyes were watering. He rubbed his eyes and still nothing came into view. He felt around his pocket for his phone and turned on the flashlight. After his eyes adjusted for a moment he looked around.

Where am I?

There was a metallic floor, a distinct burning smell, and it was oddly quiet. He directed his light around the room he was in, looking for any sign of an exit. He spotted a lump on the ground, a leg. A full body. A young woman with modestly tied brunette hair. Even without the apron, Atlas knew this was the girl from moments ago.

Oh yeah, I was giving her that thing she dropped.

WAIT.

Atlas went to her and knelt down. "Hey wake up!"

She was passed out. He reached out to feel her pulse while he examined her for any head injuries.

No blood, thank god.

He looked at her eyes, then her lips. She had fair skin, looked like she stayed inside a lot. Probably read a lot of books.

If only she wasn't so rude.

The young lady opened her eyes slowly, all she could see was the white glare above her and she felt something warm on her left arm. She jerked away and sounded scared.

"Who are you and what did you do to me?!" She crossed her arms over her chest.

Noticing she was visibly shaken Atlas retreated his arm to give her space.

He pointed the light towards his face, she was close enough that he could see her in the darkness without the light.

"Whoa relax, it's just me, I was going to ask you the same thing... I thought you punched me square in the jaw."

They sat silently for a moment, pondering what exactly was happening, how did they both end up here knocked unconscious? More specifically: Who brought them here?

She explained the exact sensations that Atlas had felt before he woke up here and she mentioned a dream.

"I... Remember you came to give me something you found. Then I saw what seemed to be the world fading into black. I also think I remember being struck by someone... Something."

She paused again for a moment, she seemed to relax a bit more after they started talking.

"Atlas right? If you didn't bring us here... than who?"

Before Atlas could even respond, a mechanical sound startled them both. He looked around until a blinding light came from across the black room. A doorway was opening before them. He turned to face the light and placed himself between the door and the girl.

His eyes adjusted, there was no one there. He walked towards the door cautiously, trying to save face, he peered outside as confidently as he could. Only to see a a bright blue sky, followed by a lavish smell of pine and a chirping sound.

Birds?

The black room suddenly lit up bright white.  

The duo were surprised when a metronome-sound began ticking back and forth around the room. It seemed to be indicating that time was running out for something, it was not hard to discern what it was referring to.

"Hey maybe you should come over here..." Atlas shouted at the girl and gestured for her to come to him.

She stood up but looked frightened. The room began to rumble and it seemed as if it was shrinking, the ticking numbers began approaching from all sides except the exit door. She screamed as the wall pushed against her back, causing her to stumble forward and back onto the ground.

Atlas sprinted towards her and reached out to her yelling for her to move again. With little choice she took his hand and ran, the light outside was blinding but she adjusted quickly. Behind them both was a large cube, black as night in the backdrop of the tree line.

A thunderous sound echoed out from the machine-like cube. It suddenly began shrinking in size until it became as small as a charm that could fit in your hand. Until finally it seemed to warp the space around it, vanishing almost in an instant.

Out of breath from panic, the two of them fell to the ground. The girl gasped for a moment as she looked around her.

Neither of them could speak on whatever just happened, but they both knew they were at least not in immediate danger.

"Where the hell are we?" The girl spoke up first with tension in her voice as she crossed her arms over her chest. Surrounded by silence, it was the middle of the day. They were not in their university anymore. Concrete apartment walls had turned into towering trees, and asphalt streets into dirt and mud. For miles around, nothing but nature.

2