Ch. 12: Stones Among the Sands
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stones Among the Sands


The recruits of the 91st void mage training platoon dragged their fresh black boots through the sand, they were still in their dress attire from this morning. The sun blaring down on their skin, sweating dripping profusely from their foreheads as they marched onward towards an unknown destination.

Eventually they came upon a massive sand dune, with a man in shining armor standing on its peak. Merlin Justice, the instructor for these new recruits proudly looked down to his fresh and once eager recruits. Now slowly, tiredly, making their way up the dune to catch up with him.

Once they made it to the top, many of them collapsed in exhaustion. Some frantically tried to guzzle down any water that remained in their canteens. Some had sand in places that sand should never go, but a single complaint would lead to an unending verbal onslaught from the senior soldier. Atlas could see Lena sitting down catching her breath and taking swigs of water. They made eye contact and she quickly averted her gaze from his.

Ahh! Why is it so hard to just talk to her... This is just lame.

Atlas was used to grueling workouts, he was lazy most other times of the day, but when it came to being physically fit he was in prime shape. Though even he was pretty tired from the heat firing down from the scorching desert sun.

"Look there recruits! The place where all void mages in the West are molded!"

Merlin proudly introduced the recruits to a small stadium-like arena just below them.

They had been walking for nearly three hours from the base they started at. The temperature on Atlas' wrist watch read 109º Fahrenheit / 42º Celsius.

"Alright, rest time is over. Let's get a move on!"

Merlin slid down the sandy slope and then started a light jog towards the miniature coliseum. Just seconds after reaching the top they were already moving again, the absurdity of marching in this heat felt like it had no purpose. But the words of Merlin from the start of the trek ringing in the back of their minds.

If you fall behind. Pass out. Or whisper a single complaint. I will ensure your failure in this exercise on the spot. That means expulsion!

Atlas had guessed this was a way of ironing out the weakest links from the get go. He wondered how many other recruits had made the connection.

Everyone knew he was not bluffing when the first person to speak up after that was immediately reprimanded and forced to pack his bags in front of all of them. Leaving this new platoon down to thirty-five recruits.

Atlas stayed a few leagues behind Lena, though he was used to this kind of strenuous activity. He had no idea what her physical background was, but he remembered the scar from before. This kind of training was extremely harsh, even for someone like him. He decided to make sure she would finish, promising not to leave her behind.

They had not spoken to one another since that night in the underground hospital save for one time in the last month, when they both had decided to enlist. Heeding the advice of the soldiers who had visited them after the battle of Rosette.

Atlas convinced her that it would be a good idea to join, and although she seemed hesitant, she agreed with him. If not just for their safety, but also because it was the best possible way to explore the true nature of the Nexus. It was imperative they both not flunk out, Lena knew that just as much as he did.

There was potential they would have access to documents not available to the public. They could actively try to interact with the Nexus on missions. And it was all easier if they were more involved with the people who knew more about the mysterious black room.

As he processed more of his thoughts, the recruits were approaching the arena. There was a large archway with no doors, and once they entered it was clear that this was more than just a lost piece of architecture from another world. It was a training ground, converted for the express purpose of training in void magic.

All the recruits stopped just before Merlin as he then gave the order for all of them to finally take a rest. Assuring them that this was now the time to relax, as they would continue shortly.

"First order of business. Tuning. You will all be selecting a void stone to use in personal combat. Later we will outfit you with a catalyst, but not until you grasp the essentials."

Everyone perked up at hearing they were already going to be using magic.

"Some of you may be wondering why we went on such an excursion in the blistering heat! Well, some of you may be accustomed to tuning already. There are still those who may have not handled a stone before, and to the untrained body... Magic can carry with it horrible consequences."

Atlas could not help but noticed that Merlin shot him a glance, he could feel his gaze even through the slit of his helmet. It sent a shiver down his spine thinking about it. The knight was the one man opposed to his enlistment, and yet he was here now. About to train him on how to utilize magic properly. He definitely didn't volunteer for this willingly.

Just behind the shiny man was a concrete slab about the length of a twelve person table. It had many small stones scattered around it. All of them were in various shapes and sizes, but they all looked fairly refined. Almost like solid black snow-flakes glimmering from the desert sun. They seemed dignified in a sense, even though they were rocks. Rocks of course with the potential to elevate human ability ten-fold.

"Some of you may not have an affinity for using such an object. And some of you may not be aware of your ability. Today we will discover which is the case."

Merlin removed his large back and slammed it down onto the ground, flipping open the main pouch. The moment he did so, a staff extended from the bag. He pulled it out to reveal his signature weapon, a void mages personal weapon, the catalyst. Merlin's was a massive war-hammer, custom made to fit his combat style and preferences. In the center of the steel block was a faint green glow that branched out like vines, pulsating like a heartbeat. The sand and dust was swirling calmly around Merlin as he raised his hammer. He then slammed down on the concrete and cleared away all of the debris and sand out of the stadium. Everyone covered their eyes as things flew passed them.

Once the wind died down he spoke again.

"My affinity is wind. There are many types of elements that a stone can exhibit:

Wind, fire, water, ice, and lightning are some examples. These are dependent on the resonance of your soul, much like the notes utilized in music. Each soul carries with it a note. That note determines your affinity. Some of you may even carry the ability to harmonize with more than one element...

Though these are just some of the primary elements. There are countless combinations, one example is the magic used to produce the veil. It is not classified under any specific element, but a mixture of earth, wind, and fire. Though I am sure you all understand this already. Basic stuff."

He spun his hammer around and then plunged it down to the ground, though before it could smash downwards, a pulse of wind stopped it just before it touched the concrete. It softly floated down and rested like a bird on a branch. To the untrained eye it was nothing, but really Merlin was showing years of control and practice with such a dangerous element. Atlas knew first hand what the unexperienced could mistakenly do when given the opportunity.

"Tuning is like exhibiting self-control on ones emotions. Every person who has the affinity for an element does not just mean they can use it effectively, we are all capable of anger and sadness. But it's how we use those emotions that differentiate us from one another. It requires constant use and practice. Just like any of you can lift your legs and walk, that took practice and repetion."

It was all the more clear why we exerted ourselves the way we did, everyone here would be too tired to make a life altering mistake. There was no strength to even be angry or sad, it was just pain. Lots of pain...

Merlin then pointed to one of the male recruits standing next to another boy who looked to be his twin brother. They were at least, strikingly similar. You could definitely tell them apart at a first glance though.

"Orion Kang! You first."

Orion stood up and walked over to the concrete slab. He was suave in the way he moved, even fatigued he looked like a dream boy. Blonde, tall, and blue eyes like sapphires.

He extended his arm over some of the stones. All of them were colorless yet still glistened in the sunlight.

One of the rocks started to glow a vibrant aqua color, a lot like the ocean. It started to vibrate on the slab until it started making the other ones around it shake as well. Orion quickly moved his hand away and the stone went back to being colorless.

Merlin then walked over and picked up the stone, it did not glow at all when he touched it.

"Your affinity is water."

He placed it in a small pouch and then handed it to Orion.

"These are designed to keep the stone from reacting to your output. You will all eventually come up when called to see if you are compatible with any stone, then you will quickly place it in the pouch and wait for everyone else to finish."

Merlin gestured for Orion to return to his position.

Orion went back to stand next to his brother, who high-fived him the moment he got back in line.

He looked around at the crowd of recruits, many of them eager to be selected next. He finally settled on someone Atlas immediately recognized.

"Lena Vail. You're up."

She stood up confidently, keeping her head down as she approached the slab.

Atlas caught her glance in his direction for a moment.

She looked nervous. Frightened even.

Lena witnessed the entire ordeal with his reaction to the stones, it was only natural she would be hesitant. Atlas wiped the sweat off his head and felt a lump in his throat.

Finally she reached her hand out over the table. None of the stones near her were glowing like with Orion before. She waved her hand over left, then right.

Merlin walked over to her and suggested she move around the rest of the table.

There was gossip among the other recruits starting to spread.

"She has no affinity."

"It's not unheard of–"

"To enlist and not be able to use magic, that shouldn't be allowed..."

"They changed that rule years ago, though her survival rate plummets without it."

Atlas bit his lip at the remarks being made, they all seemed condescending and arrogant. Many of the people here came from families with magical prowess, some even began tuning at young ages. Tempest was from one such family, and Atlas had remembered hearing the Kang brothers talk about tuning in orientation. The two outsiders were definitely out of place in a unit designed to attract the elite.

Lena dropped her arm down and Merlin walked over to her. He looked down on her with a vicious stare through his helmet, it shook Atlas to his core even from this far away. Merlin quickly shifted to a smile though, maybe he was relieved?

"Fear not lass! The great Captain Gale once stood at this very table, not able to make a single stone react. And even he is a renowned hunter!"

Merlin shot a cold stare at those who had begun to foul-mouth Lena.

"Everyone who spoke ill of their comrade will be walking back to the barracks bare-foot." He said that as if he was going to enjoy punishing them.

His sick smile remained. Many of the recruits sneered at idea they were being punished. Many of them upset she was being praised over such a blunder. It was starting to fill Atlas with rage, but he had to keep his emotions in check.

Many more recruits were called up, including the other Kang twin, whose given name was Leo. He was able to wield fire, and though he looked a lot like Orion. His eyes glowed a fierce red, though it was a much softer red and orange mixture, not like that of a void beast. He seemed to crack off a few quips which made some of the other recruits laugh.

There were just two left. Atlas and a female recruit with long brown hair.

"Elizabeth Short!"

The young lady took her place at the table. And repeating the motions like everyone before her she began to wave her hand around the table. Until one of the stones glistened brighter than before. It was still white despite the shine. She picked it straight off the table and put it in the pouch without disturbing any of the other stones.

"Impressive miss Short! The only one here with a perfect tuning on the first attempt. A rare sight indeed!"

Elizabeth's face remained unchanged, she was cold. Her eyes were also emotionless, they were a strange shade of grey, almost silver. It was hard for Atlas to really tell from this distance.

"Our last recruit, Atlas Castell!"

Atlas approached the table, passing Elizabeth as she was walking back. She glanced at him, her cold stare piercing him. She stood still and watched as he passed her.

"Short, return to your position!"

Without another word she turned away from Atlas, and returned in line with the others.

Huh? What? Did I imagine that?

When he finally came within a few inches of the slab Merlin took a large side step away from him.

Atlas had his back turned to the recruits but many were beginning to wonder why their instructor just made a strange move. Some remained still and others followed in his lead, stepping back like they knew something big was about to happen.

Lena was looking directly at him, her arms crossed together as if she were concerned for her own safety. Elizabeth, the girl from before, was back to staring at him intently, she was giving him a creepy vibe. Almost like she was studying him. 

He adjusted his focus back on the table after being noticed as the center of attention. The final candidate.

This isn't going to kill me. It's just a rock. Just a little pebble... With magic in it.

Finally he slowly raised his right arm over the first stone. Closing his eyes and turning away from whatever was about to happen next.

1